Blogger
Share this content
0
24
2327

congratulations

Not strictly a question, so sorry mods, but hope you won't mind too much.

Congratulations are due to Rebecca Benneyworth, MBE for services to the tax profession in the Birthday Honours list.

Just to add a question to the mods - just where would you put this item, and how would you get to it on the mobile site (which is all I'm using to post here)?

Replies

Please login or register to join the discussion.

Actually...
... -is there anyone else who deserves a mention and our congratulations on the list, in your communities?

Thanks (0)

Congratulations Rebecca!

Very well deserved.

Thanks (0)

Congratulations!

Well done Rebecca.

David

Thanks (0)

MBE

Excellent news. Congratulations.

Thanks (0)

Storming stuff!

Well done Rebecca!!

Thanks (0)

Congratulations Rebecca :)

The honour is well deserved and your hard work is appreciated.

Thanks (0)

Thanks very much everyone.

I've been a bit elusive on here recently - saying yes to too many things at once as usual! Anyhow, thanks all for your good wishes, I'm chuffed to bits!

Thanks (0)

Well done Rebecca!

Well deserved!

 

Thanks (0)

Excellent news

Much deserved....

Thanks (0)

The honours system is a relic of the empire

Giving these titles to deserving people like Rebecca is cover for giving it to those who do not deserve any "honour", like Sir Fred Goodwin or Lord Geoffrey Archer or Lord Michael Ashcroft. In addition, the whole system serves to support the idea of "nobility" by associating terms associated with empire and aristocracy with good people like Rebecca.

The current system is worthless and meaningless, and remains dominated by civil servants, political supporters and the royals.

Honours should be awarded by parliament, on behalf of the people, not by the royalty, on behalf of party leaders. Titles would have much greater value if they reflect modern democratic values, rather than the values of elitism and empire. Surely we should also exclude people who could have expected to benefit financially from the work that got them honoured.

My greatest respect goes to those such as Charles Babbage and Michal Foot, who refuse "honours" bestowed by royalty on principle, and thereby deny the undeserving recipients legitimacy.

http://www.republic.org.uk/What%20we%20want/In%20depth/Honours/index.php makes the case well.

Thanks (1)

Well

chatman wrote:

Giving these titles to deserving people like Rebecca is cover for giving it to those who do not deserve any "honour", like Sir Fred Goodwin or Lord Geoffrey Archer or Lord Michael Ashcroft. In addition, the whole system serves to support the idea of "nobility" by associating terms associated with empire and aristocracy with good people like Rebecca.

The current system is worthless and meaningless, and remains dominated by civil servants, political supporters and the royals.

Honours should be awarded by parliament, on behalf of the people, not by the royalty, on behalf of party leaders. Titles would have much greater value if they reflect modern democratic values, rather than the values of elitism and empire. Surely we should also exclude people who could have expected to benefit financially from the work that got them honoured.

My greatest respect goes to those such as Charles Babbage and Michal Foot, who refuse "honours" bestowed by royalty on principle, and thereby deny the undeserving recipients legitimacy.

http://www.republic.org.uk/What%20we%20want/In%20depth/Honours/index.php makes the case well.

 

Well, that was a mood killer..

Well done Rebecca btw!

Thanks (1)

I do so hate...

...people that insist on crapping on birthday cakes.

The anti-monarchists have a valid point of view which they're entitled to express. It's just disrespectful to exercise that right on an occasion to mark the 60th anniversary of a particular person losing the right to free speech.

The same point also applies on this occasion.

Thanks (3)

???????

George Attazder wrote:
The anti-monarchists have a valid point of view which they're entitled to express.

Thank you so much

George Attazder wrote:
It's just disrespectful to exercise that right on an occasion to mark the 60th anniversary of a particular person losing the right to free speech.

Why?

Thanks (0)

Congratulations!

Hi Rebecca

Congratulations from everyone here at Sift! I'm sure some of them will be in touch personally as the news spreads!

Jenny

Thanks (0)

I must also add

my good wishes to Rebecca for her MBE. A similar award was bestowed upon a good friend of mine, some years ago, for his charity fund-raising for children with leukaemia and their parents.

You know, in such cases as Rebecca's and my friends,. these awards aren't just "dished out" - they are very sincerely and justly awarded.

Nuff said, in my view, just rejoice in some good news, for once.

 

Thanks (1)

Over-reaction

For those who appear to think I am accusing Rebecca of terrorism, can I take this opportunity to thank her for her contribution to the UK tax system and lecturing that led to this occurrence.

I also apologise for the obvious offence I caused them by saying something they do not agree with.

Thanks (0)

What a knob

Enough said

Thanks (2)

chatman you're a braver knob than me

For those who flared at chatman's post, read his first line, it takes nothing from RB and her achievement or that she deserves recognition for her contribution.

Had it not been for years of RB's lectures and balanced opinions I may possibly have given up tax years ago but that doesn't stop me agreeing with everything chatman says about a system that should have been mothballed with The Raj.

Thanks (1)

Congratulations!

A fabulous achievement! Congrats!

Thanks (0)

Paul

My "flaring" at chatman's post has absolutely nothing to do with it's content. Opinions such as these should receive a constant and public airing in my view.

My objection though is to the crapping on the cake. Combined with the icing and the marzipan, it leaves a very bad taste in one's mouth.

Why can't the view be shouted from the rooftops, whilst still allowing the person that's having "their moment" to enjoy that moment.

I agree that the comments take nothing away, but they do inject something unsavoury into that savoured moment.

For those confused about the meaning of disrepectful, it's in the dictionary.

Thanks (4)

Spoilers

Instead of spoiling what was meant as an unqualified message of congratulations and support to 'one of our own', dissenters could have started their own thread if they had felt strongly enough. It was perfectly clear that this one was not designed to be a debate.

This post is not an attack on free speech, but discourtesy.

 

Thanks (1)

Congratulations

Well done, Rebecca

Thanks (0)

Thanks again all

This thread is still making me smile - I guess it would be difficult not to smile at the moment! And please don't worry, it wouldn't be the AccountingWEB that I love if there weren't a few debates going on.

All I can say is that I'm thrilled and honoured to have been recognised, and that will encourage me to redouble my efforts to improve the tax system in any way that I can. We all benefit from a good and efficient system - and let's face it, I am unlikely to run of places to direct my efforts in my lifetime!

Thanks (1)

Rebecca

Many congratulaions !

Thanks (0)