Share this content

CT41G filing

I have a client who incorporated in december 2010 but informed me he did not start trading until 1st April 2011.  The CT41G was therefore submitted with a date of 1st April and a year end of 31st March. I have now discovered that the company did have transactions during the period between December and March and therefore cannot be considered dormant for that period.  Am I correct in thinking I should inform HMRC of the correct date and therefore will need to sumbit accounts for December 2010 to December 2011 and January 2012 to 31st March 2012 for CT purposes and submit accounts to Companies House for the period from December 2010 to 31st March 2011 and then April 2011 to March 2012.  When would the due dates be for each of these?


Please login or register to join the discussion.

By blok
26th Nov 2011 19:08

You need to remember that hmrc and co hse are quite different . the accounts Will need prepared from incorporation to the companys annual reporting date. the accounting date Will already have been established . you can change this if you wish.

I would call hmrc and advise them that the company commenced an accounting period for tax purposes in December .

Thanks (0)
27th Nov 2011 09:58

If the accounting date was changed to 31st March at Companies House I presume I would need to submit accounts for the 3 months to 31st March 2011 or could I do 15 months to 31st march 2012?

Thanks (0)
27th Nov 2011 04:37

It is possible ...

... to undertake certain transactions without those transactions amounting to the operation of a trade.  The CT41G is used to notify the commencement date of the first chargeable period. So it is possible on the information provided that the CT41G was correctly made out in the first place.

But if you want to change the period notified a simple letter should do the trick and it will not cause a problem.  Indeed I very much doubt there would be any problem if you never corrected the CT41G but simply filed online (in good time) a CT600 with the correct period.  There was a time a couple of years ago when attempting to file a CT600 having a period that differed from HMRC expectation would get rejected, but no longer.

With kind regards

Clint Westwood.

Thanks (1)
27th Nov 2011 12:22

It depends what was filed at coy house

When filing the change of ARD form at companies house it would have stated whether the first accounting period was being shortened to one of 3 months duration or extended to one of 15 months duration.  You make up financial statements to whichever period you committed to on the change of ARD form.

With kind regards

Clint Westwood


Thanks (0)
27th Nov 2011 12:54

15 months to 31st March 2012

No, Clint.  The first period of accounts must run for between 6 and 18 months as set out in s.391(5) CA 2006.  If the accounting date was changed from 31st December to 31st March, the first accounts must run for 15ish months to 31st March 2012.

Thanks (1)