Blogger
Share this content
0
97
6461

Do not like the way any answers is going at all

In recent months I am really disappointed with the way Any Answers in going. They are a very small number of people whose intention is to humiliate, embarrass, question the competence and in some cases embarrass the person so much that he/she stops contributing on AW. Could this be termed as cyber bullying?

I fail to understand why some will click a thread, read it and type something that is clearly intended to humiliate another person. This is leaving aside how people perceive things. I am not talking about disagreeing with people ideas and suggestions.

I think majority on AW are great. It always the very few who spoil it for others.

I think the thanks link is now used to form factions on a thread. This does not help. I am really pleased that AW did not go with the thumbs down idea.

I am not saying I am holier than thou. I give in at times when I get repeated insults.

Is it best to move on if there is nothing helpful to say on a thread?

It is such a shame the way things are going. I hope it changes.

Replies

Please login or register to join the discussion.

Thanks

"I think the thanks link is now used to form factions on a thread."

You're probably correct, in as much as those with similar views are likely to thank each other. I know I do, but as far as I'm concerned, it's got nothing to do with 'ganging up'. But I don't think we should get too worried about the feature. If, as suspected, there are members wiith multiple user accounts, they're probably thanking 'one another' so the thanks count becomes meaningless.

Thanks (2)

I'll go further

Exactly right First Tab - and I will go further and NAME the two main culprits who repeatedly post abusive comments in threads they have made no other contribution to.

[member names removed from thread]

This pair have now sabotaged my recent thread by posting highly offensive inflammatory posts whilst having made no contribution to the topic at all.

I notice that even here, one of them has immediately leapt in with accusations of others having "multiple accounts". I would suggest that their apparent knowledge of how this could be done probably comes from their own experience of doing it themselves. It is, after all, a well documented tactic of the internet troll.

 

Thanks (2)

... indeed...

... very well dicumented.

Thanks (0)

-

[removed by mod]

 

Thanks (1)

Imagination

Top Cat - I think if you recheck that thread you will find that BKD didn't say anything inflammatory. In fact, nobody did originally, but you still made accusations of inflammatory and offensive comments. This happens with tedious regularity. You seek an excuse to start hurling accusations and insults, and if one doesn't exist, you invent one.

If you cast the first stone ........

... ah well ... back to my troll duties ;) 

Thanks (1)

Huh?

ShirleyM wrote:

Top Cat - I think if you recheck that thread you will find that BKD didn't say anything inflammatory. In fact, nobody did originally, but you still made accusations of inflammatory and offensive comments. This happens with tedious regularity. You seek an excuse to start hurling accusations and insults, and if one doesn't exist, you invent one.

If you cast the first stone ........

... ah well ... back to my troll duties ;) 

I'm, not sure which thread you are referring to, but I've a pretty good idea. If so, my single post on that thread was a few words expressing my agreement with the other respondents, with not one single word directed in anyone in particular. Am I to take it from your comments, Shirley, that I've been accused of inflammatory and insulting behaviour? Oh well ......

Thanks (1)

BIAS

ShirleyM wrote:

Top Cat - I think if you recheck that thread you will find that BKD didn't say anything inflammatory. In fact, nobody did originally, but you still made accusations of inflammatory and offensive comments. This happens with tedious regularity. You seek an excuse to start hurling accusations and insults, and if one doesn't exist, you invent one.

If you cast the first stone ........

... ah well ... back to my troll duties ;) 

[removed by mod]

Thanks (1)

Thanks

I assumed that the thanks button was a way of showing you agreed with someone's view and thus saved lots of postings of 'I agree with so & so'. That's certainly how I use it. And if I read something that makes me laugh I'll give 'thanks'.

Like BKD's first posting on this thread (just for clarication it does actually reply to the question and therefore is making a contribution to the thread) I don't think there's ganging up involved, it's just another way of expressing a viewpoint and I'm fairly sure we still have freedom of speech in this country.

Obviously if it's actually a competition to to see who gets the most thanks then I'll have to start posting every ten seconds and create my own multiple personalities to thank each other but then I'm not sure how I'd get any work done. (In fact I was supposed to be out the door with the dog in 5 mins and I've not had a shower yet!)

Wherever you go in life there will always be people who disagree with you and some will be more vocal than others. Given that we've presumably all now left primary school I would have thought that the adult way of dealing with it, particularly since it's not someone standing in front of you but an anonymous opinion, is to just ignore it and not respond. Not to run to the teacher (moderator) going 'so and so said something mean to me' or to have a tantrum in public. Let's save the 'woe is me' routines for something important in life......?

 

Thanks (4)

not agian

It has started again, You did it. No you did it. No you did it.......

 

Thanks (1)

Can we not use CAPITALS

It's not only considered rude (shouting) but is also harder to read....

Thanks (2)

it's sad because

The 'rudest letter' thread had a genuinely interesting question at it's core and although there were differing opinions I think we were all (most) hoping that David Winch would come along with his usual expert and calm analysis of that situation. Instead he will probably start reading it and get to the point where it gets silly and decide not to bother.

I see this sort of thing on other forums I read but really didn't expect it here. Perhaps I'm just niave !

Thanks (3)

Firsttab

Always seems to be his threads all this crap starts on...........

Just saying.

Thanks (4)

-
gerrysims

I see this sort of thing on other forums I read but really didn't expect it here. Perhaps I'm just niaive ! 

 

 

No - you're just on a form where [member names removed by mod] repeatedly sabotage threads in pursuit of their obsessive vendettas.

There may be robust disagreement, but it's always when that pair start posting that things nose dive.

Thanks (1)

READ THE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/anyanswers/question/rudest-clearance-request-i-have-ever-seen

Yes, I am shouting!!!!

Someones imagination is working overtime! BKD DID NOT say anything inflammatory, and the rot had already set in when jaybee posted!

I can't bear people bending the truth to suit their argument (vendetta???), and it is bad for my blood pressure, so I'll leave the storytellers to get on with it.

Thanks (1)

-

ShirleyM wrote:

Yes, I am shouting!!!!

Someones imagination is working overtime! BKD DID NOT say anything inflammatory, and the rot had already set in when jaybee posted!

I can't bear people bending the truth to suit their argument (vendetta???), and it is bad for my blood pressure, so I'll leave the storytellers to get on with it.

 

 

Really?  So why do you bend it so often ?

and does "the rot already setting in" as you put it EXCUSE [member name removed by mod] for being offensive ?    You seem to have a strange view of what is right and wrong - or is it just biased?

 

Thanks (1)

Solution

Why not just keep away from each others posts if you don't like what you read? You have a choice whever to ignore or respond to something so why would you go out of your way to get angry about something?

In the grand scheme of things are we not here to just help each other out? It's a shame posts come down to petty arguements. Take the high road.

Thanks (1)

-

rhewitt296 wrote:

Why not just keep away from each others posts if you don't like what you read? You have a choice whever to ignore or respond to something so why would you go out of your way to get angry about something?

In the grand scheme of things are we not here to just help each other out? It's a shame posts come down to petty arguements. Take the high road.

 

 

Unfortunately taking the high road doesnt work because the [removed by mod] simply follow. 

Thanks (1)

Take the high road

@ rhewitt296 - I think someone went for the shortcut, got stuck behind a tractor and ended up with road rage!  But your post was spot on :)

Thanks (2)

So then

use the "Ignore" button?

Thanks (1)

In honesty...

It kind of looks like they have taken it this time as they are not here stirring things more. I understand that they may have caused you frustration but come on. Don't give people the saatisfaction of knowing they are winding you up.

I agree with FirstTabs original post and how things are starting to get a little bitter on Any Answers. Everyone has a different opinion and different way of expressing it. Instead of argueing and disaggreeing with each other why not help each other, educate and learn.

Thanks (1)

re

rhewitt296 wrote:

It kind of looks like they have taken it this time as they are not here stirring things more. I understand that they may have caused you frustration but come on. Don't give people the saatisfaction of knowing they are winding you up.

I agree with FirstTabs original post and how things are starting to get a little bitter on Any Answers. Everyone has a different opinion and different way of expressing it. Instead of argueing and disaggreeing with each other why not help each other, educate and learn.

 

I was attacked on a recent post of mine for suggesting that this is a place to learn, a  rather personal attack being made by a poster on this page.  After my experience it's obvious AW has it's fair share of Trolls and Cyber Bullies. I'll be using the ignore button for these people in future so I don't need to suffer their abuse.

Thanks (0)

The ignore button really does work ....

so why don't you all use it? AWEB may be a little less complete and occasionally baffling with ignore selected but it really would solve your problems.

Thanks (2)

Storytelling (to reduce high blood pressure)

Once upon a time there was a lovely troll who lived in Peace and Harmony (a little town in Yorkshire). She had many friends and all who knew her thought of her as a warm & generous soul who wouldn't hurt a fly.

But one day a family of 3 billy goats gruff moved into the area. They weren't very nice and 2 of them had received asbos for nasty threatening behaviour. They really dragged down the tone of the neighbourhood but the lovely troll was determined to see the good in them because she believed, despite evidence to the contrary, that everyone had a good side even if it was deeply hidden.

Unfortunately the 3 billy goats gruff weren't as thoughtful and they stomped backwards and forwards over the troll's bridge giving her a nasty headache and high blood pressure. She tried asking them nicely but to no avail. Then she spoke to the nice social workers in charge of the billy goats but their hands were tied for fear of encroaching on the billy goats civil liberties. So the poor nice troll sat under her bridge with her head in her hands wondering what to do.

Luckily help was at hand. Everyone's favourite quarterback was visiting relatives nearby and heard of the troll's plight. So he started up War Rocket Ajax (which had been fixed since it's last outing) and headed off to Peace & Harmony. It didn't take much effort to find the naughty billy goats and Flash speared them all on the nose of Ajax before heading off to the village green where the villagers were waiting. The lovely troll had come out from under her bridge and had started a nice big bonfire in the middle of the green so Flash parked Ajax right next to it and turned on the rotating nose cone. And so the 3 billy goats gruff became BBQ food for the hungry villagers and everyone went home that night with a fully belly.

THE END :)

Thanks (1)

Thanks Flash

As usual, Flash to the rescue ....

You have made me laugh, and I still have a big smile on my face :)

Thanks (0)

But, Flash, is that really the end?

If I remember the end of the 1980s film Flash Gordon, after Ming is impaled on War Rocket Ajax, he turns to dust, but can then be heard laughing in the background when someone picks up his ring.  When the words "The End" appear, I think they are followed by a question mark.

The implication is that Ming never really dies.

Thanks (0)

Ignore

Can I please remind members that if you really do find that you dislike a particular member to use the ignore function and not allow yourself to get drawn into debate with them.

From this day forth, any member using their account simply to jump on bandwagons and contribute to the ruining of threads will find themselves with a warning. 

We reserve the right to protect our community by any means we deem fair.

Thanks (1)

The End?

Well the 3 billy goats gruff have been spit-roasted, chopped up and eaten by a whole village so trust me, they're not coming back! But yes you're absolutely right about Ming (though he's not yet been back to Earth) - maybe if AWeb added a voice upload feature I could do my very best chilling laugh at the end of the story? :)

Thanks (1)

'From this day forth ...'!

That might be the first use of that phrase in about three centuries Becky!!!

Thanks (1)

From this day forth...

I could have used that in my storytelling! 

And from this day forth all the little A-Webbers lived in peace...... The End (no question marks).

Happy endings are so important :)

Thanks (1)

people like me whose eyesight aint so good

actually like capitals - get it in perspective - we are not 'shouting'

Thanks (0)

@carnmores

Capitals? You could try the zoom feature on your browser, or change the resolution on your PC, then the rest of us won't have to sit 6 ft from our monitors (it makes it hard to reach the keyboard).  ;)

Thanks (0)

Take a day off!

Going back to the OP, I think sometimes it is differences in sense of humour, but sometimes it does seem comments are either deliberately nasty or intended to disrupt and agree with FirstTab, why?

It does seem some posters like the "sound" of their own voice and like to post even if they have nothing to say (present company included :o) ). The phrase "empty vessels make the most noise" springs to mind.

Just ignore them, if they rile you that much send Becky a message and give her a laugh rather than pouring petrol on the flames.

Thanks (2)

My view on the previous thread

I have had the pleasure of a fortnight's holiday - and I also have the pleasure of an awful lot of work on at present!

I was going to post on the previous thread on the topic of the rudest clearance letter, but the topic was closed by the time I read it.

In fact I was only going to add one new point.  That is that before responding to a request for professional clearance from a 'new' accountant one ought to obtain (preferably in writing) consent from the (soon to be ex) client to communicate freely with the proposed 'new' accountant.  (The FREELY is important!).

If you obtain that you can then say what you need to say to the new accountant - but I would stick to the facts (which speak for themselves).

The client's consent does NOT of course give you carte blanche to slag off the client, but you can pass on information which it is in the 'public interest' for the proposed new accountant to have.

If the client refuses you that consent then all you can do is write to the new accountant saying, "My client has not given me consent to communicate freely with you".  And that is all you say.

The 'new' accountant (if he has any sense) will then not take the client on.

David

Thanks (2)

Update

To update - since I cant on the original thread.

The new "accountants" followed up their bizarre letters with a highly agressive and offensive 'phone call today demanding the information "now".   We have discovered that they belong to a professional body (but not one of the big two) so a full report including tape of their call has been forwarded. Another local firm who have had similar problems with them have also complained.  We will be interested to see what happens.

 

As regards the ex client, proceedings were started today for recovery of our outstanding fees, and evidence of his attempt to extort monies with threats has been handed to the police.  I think the tax man will be the least of his worries.

Thanks (0)

Behaviour

The new accountants were highly aggessive and offensive, despite being told that the telephone call was being recorded? In that case, I'd agree that their behaviour ought to be reported

Thanks (1)

I'm curious

Are they chartered, or not?

Thanks (0)

no

ShirleyM wrote:

Are they chartered, or not?

 

 

No they are not chartered - but claim to be, so that's another report to be sent in the next day or two.

Thanks (0)

FirstTab should use Any Answers properly

I agree with FirstTab that some people don't use Any Answers properly. Unfortunately, he doesn't use Any Answers properly. Why does he ask a question and then when he is asked for clarification of some points does he ignore the posts. In the past he has said it is his right to ignore the posts. I agree that it is his right but it still shows a strange attitude. Does he want people to help him or not? Is there another reason for his posts?

Thanks (0)

@Peter

No offence intended to FirstTab, but like you, I do find some aspects of FirstTabs posts annoying, in that he doesn't always explain the problem clearly, and then ignores our requests for further information ...... but .... we are all different, and none of us are perfect. No doubt we all have annoying habits that we are blind to, although some more than others. On the good side, FirstTab asks the questions that many of wonder about, but never bother to ask.

Our differences are what makes life so interesting!

We now have the option to ignore people, although personally I would have preferred the 'ignore' feature to hide threads raised by the 'ignored' person, and not just the posts.

Think about your blood pressure, Peter.  ;)

Thanks (0)

@Top Cat - you're confusing me again!

As regards the ex client, proceedings were started today for recovery of our outstanding fees, and evidence of his attempt to extort monies with threats has been handed to the police.  I think the tax man will be the least of his worries. 

Don't you have to give them chance to pay, and send a letter warning of court action, which gives them another 7 day opportunity to pay? I didn't know you could go straight for court action!

Extort money with threats??? Did you omit this part in the original thread?

ps. thanks for answering the chartered query.

Thanks (0)

Shirley

ShirleyM wrote:

As regards the ex client, proceedings were started today for recovery of our outstanding fees, and evidence of his attempt to extort monies with threats has been handed to the police.  I think the tax man will be the least of his worries. 

Don't you have to give them chance to pay, and send a letter warning of court action, which gives them another 7 day opportunity to pay? I didn't know you could go straight for court action!

Extort money with threats??? Did you omit this part in the original thread?

ps. thanks for answering the chartered query.

 

1) He has had 16 months to pay and has ignored all demands.

2) "Extorting money with threats" - He had a refund 18 months ago. It was paid to us, our client account bank statement shows it going into our bank, and 3 days later shows it being transfered to his bank (yes we have triple checked the bank details and so have the bank).  We have a letter from the client acknowledging receipt of his refund. Now, he has started claimimg he never received it and threatened to tell everyone we had robbed him if we didnt immediately pay him his refund again. Actually I'm not sure whether he should be arrested or sectioned.  

Thanks (0)

Just move on

If people do not like posts or find them annoying- just don't read them. Move on would be the best thing to do. I do not do this since I think I would miss out on some helpful information,

I find some the responses by Shirely  (over use exclamation marks and smileys) so annoying, but I look beyond this since many times there are some good points. Peter constant use of quotations I find annoying - again I try and look beyond this as well.

Like others I have a choice to follow the suggestions,

Thanks (0)

Thank you FirstTab :)

I am really chuffed that the worst I do is overuse of exclamation marks and smileys :)

You have made my day (I really was fearing the worst!)

 

Thanks (0)

Annoyed

Shirley, now I am annoyed by you underusing smileys and exclamation marks! :-)

Thanks (1)

Quotations?

FirstTab, why do you find quoting what people say when replying annoying. It seems sensible to me. In fact, AccountingWeb have a quote button. Do you find that annoying, too?

Thanks (0)

I should also like clarification

Were the new agents advised that the telephone conversation was being recorded?

Thanks (1)

Yes

PennyC wrote:

Were the new agents advised that the telephone conversation was being recorded?

 

 

They rang us, therefore they knew that all calls are recorded.

Thanks (0)

I'm curious

Top_Cat wrote:

PennyC wrote:

Were the new agents advised that the telephone conversation was being recorded?

 

 

They rang us, therefore they knew that all calls are recorded.

Does your receptionist advise every caller that they are being recorded, or do you have an automated message for this?

Thanks (1)

Reasons?

"Like others I have a choice to follow the suggestions,"

As I thought I had made clear, I didn't dispute your right to ignore people when they are trying to help you. I just wonder if you can produce a logical reason for doing so. Why ask for help and advice in the first place if you are going to ignore people when they are trying to help you.

Thanks (0)

Further to my earlier post ...

... the thing that irks most is, as Reeves and Mortimor would say "you wouldn't let it lie".

We have I think just past a watershed, the vast majority on here have accepted that many have said on here things they regret, things they may have couched more sensitively etc etc but the majority have made a decision to forget the past and move on, and to ignore such remarks. To misquote the Pirate King, we waive the point, we do not press it, we look over it!

I think the current David Starkey fiasco is a timely case in point for the need to look at the underlying message and not just go into meltdown by cherry picking a meaning to suit your sense of indignation!

Thanks (1)

Pages