Share this content

Entrepreneurs' relief

A part time farmer ( he is also employed as a postman) who has been trading as a sole trader is in a situation whereby he has to sell up.

He has land to sell and the likely taxable profit for CGT is £30K

If half the land is  transferred to his wife before the sale then the CGT liability can be minimised.

I understand that he will be able to claim Entrepreneurs' relief. It is possible for his wife to do the same if we registered her as a partner before the sale?

Many thanks



Please login or register to join the discussion.

In principle yes
In principle, yes, wife can claim ER if she comes in as a partner, subject to the one year qualifying period.

Thanks (1)

Many thanks.


I had missed the one year qualifying period  ~ thanks for pointing it out



Thanks (0)