Share this content

gift of shares to family members

A owns company a

Relative (not spose) B owns company b

But what happens if A transfers some shares  in company a to B and B transfers shares in company b to A.

Both just claim entrepeneurs relief on the market value of the disposals? 

Is stamp duty payable? I have seen the share transfer forms and they record £Nil as the sale proceeds.


Please login or register to join the discussion.

Are the gifts reciprocal, or independent?

The Stamp duty value of nil indicates these were two independent gifts. If so then holdover relief under TCGA 1992 s 165 may be more appropriate, as there is no cash from which to pay even 10% CGT. Also holdover relief avoids the need for difficult share valuations.


Thanks (0)