Share this content

GP/Doctor Tax return - what can you claim

GP/Doctor Tax return - what can you claim

Could anyone tell me what i can claim back as a salaried Doctor or self employed GP?



Please login or register to join the discussion.

By ACDWebb
14th Jan 2011 14:34

There are books written on this

by which I mean there's an awful lot written on the subject, not just "go and find one"

As a s/e GP you can claim costs incurred wholly & exclusively for the business. For a salaried doctor it is the rather more restrictive wholly exclusively & necessarily.

You might have variously:

professional subsmileage / motor claims (but not home to surgery / hospital)use of homebusiness use of phones, mobile & home

If you are a partner in a GP practice your claim for personal expenses cannot be on your personal return but has to be as part of the partnership return, though there are ways & means of reflecting the personal expense back against the personal share of profit rather than it being part of the overall apportionment of tax profits

Thanks (0)
18th Jan 2011 17:03

WOUld exam fees be claimable?

The fees to sit the GP exams are quite substantial Could they be claimed? If so what would you claim them as?

Thanks (0)
By ACDWebb
18th Jan 2011 23:42


they only put you in a position to be a GP

Thanks (0)
19th Jan 2011 08:21

Used to act for a lot of doctors

We followed the same rules as for the laymen, if it's new knowledge it's now allowable, if it's brushing up existing then it is.


Thanks (0)