stt
Blogger
Share this content
0
15
2720

Iris Payroll Professional

I'm considering changing over to this to deal with some larger clients - comments from experience would be much appreciated, such as annoyances etc

Replies

Please login or register to join the discussion.

avatar
01st May 2012 17:25

Why Iris?

Have a look at Moneysoft Payroll Manager  - a far superior product at a fraction of the price!

Thanks (0)

Hilarious

It didn't take long for someone to recommend Moneysoft without checking the OP's needs.

For example they said, "Larger clients".

Supposing this means hundreds of employees, which is Iris Professional's target market.

Just to clarify, the ex Earnie product, which I believe is now called Iris Professional, is a product at a completely different level to Moneysoft, aimed at a completely different market. Far more sophisticated and designed for use by demanding companies typically with requirements that Moneysoft isn't even close to answering.

I could be wrong, it doesn't mean for certain that Moneysoft wouldn't be right for the OP, but if they already have a payroll solution and they're considering an upgrade to Iris Professional it is pretty likely that their requirements would eliminate Moneysoft as a possibility.

Thanks (1)
avatar
02nd May 2012 12:45

Why so hilarious!!!

TomMcClelland wrote:

It didn't take long for someone to recommend Moneysoft without checking the OP's needs.

For example they said, "Larger clients".

Supposing this means hundreds of employees, which is Iris Professional's target market.

Just to clarify, the ex Earnie product, which I believe is now called Iris Professional, is a product at a completely different level to Moneysoft, aimed at a completely different market. Far more sophisticated and designed for use by demanding companies typically with requirements that Moneysoft isn't even close to answering.

I could be wrong, it doesn't mean for certain that Moneysoft wouldn't be right for the OP, but if they already have a payroll solution and they're considering an upgrade to Iris Professional it is pretty likely that their requirements would eliminate Moneysoft as a possibility.

 

Other than the fact the OP needs to run more than 250 employees (a fact not mentioned in his original post) - what other requirements do you think that moneysoft cannot fulfil (remember were talking about moneysoft payrol manager 250 - not 12Pay) ???

 

Not sure why it is hilarious to you, perhaps it was an attempt to poke fun at moneysoft's loyal & satisfied customer base - something  you at 12Pay could do well to emulate!

Thanks (0)

Iris Professional Vs Moneysoft

BigBadWolf wrote:

Other than the fact the OP needs to run more than 250 employees (a fact not mentioned in his original post) - what other requirements do you think that moneysoft cannot fulfil (remember were talking about moneysoft payrol manager 250 - not 12Pay) ???

 

Not sure why it is hilarious to you, perhaps it was an attempt to poke fun at moneysoft's loyal & satisfied customer base - something  you at 12Pay could do well to emulate!

Don't get me wrong. Moneysoft is a great package. How would it attract so much loyal support otherwise? As for attracting the same adulation; we're working on it. We've only been around for 5 years, and probably only with a highly competitive offering for Bureaus/Practitioners for the last 3.

You brought other packages into it, not me. I do find it amusing (and I've seen it before here) when the knee-jerk reaction to any payroll question is "Use Moneysoft" even when I'd lay good money from the supplied information that Moneysoft isn't appropriate.

He mentioned larger employers, and he mentioned Iris Professional, a package pitched at a competely different level to Moneysoft.

If he is contemplating Iris Professional because his existing package isn't up to the task then he possibly needs the things kind of things that higher level payroll software offers like:

Handling hundreds of employees (Moneysoft 250 theoretically handles 250, but that includes starters and leavers and I've been told by Moneysoft users that Moneysoft isn't at all great when you get towards the limit)Auto-prorata calculations for starters/leavers/pay risesNon-trivial nominal ledger analysis of payments, including multi-department allocations of single payments and auto nominal code change for different department/payment code combinationsConfigurable nominal ledger export filePayslips with many detail lines (ie more than 10)Banking files that include payments to 3rd parties as well as employeesSupplementary payroll runs for late-discovered additional payments (ie pay the employee the difference in a supplementary run, with a supplementary payslip)Multi-user access with user privilegesSecure data modelData accessible using 3rd party report writer softwareAuto payment rates that vary by departmentAudit-trail tracked data changesThat kind of stuff, etc.

I'm not saying that he needs any particular one of those, but it is likely that someone contemplating Iris Professional may have some of those needs.

More interesting would be the specific knowledge of Iris Professional you have that led you to so confidently assert that Moneysoft is much better software for him. Now THAT would be useful information for the OP.

Thanks (0)
avatar
By Old Greying Accountant
01st May 2012 18:29

I use IRIS ...

... had it when it was EARNIE on DOS, way before IRIS bought it.

It always was and still is IMVHO the best payroll program around, easy to use and very versatile, not come across anything it won't handle in nearly 20 years!

Thanks (0)
avatar
By stt
01st May 2012 19:25

Thanks for the comments, yes, I currently use PAYE Master but now need to run payroll for some large new clients (up to 800 payslips per month in one case!)

I spoke with MoneySoft, and their payroll is only suitable up to 250 employees.

Encouraging that Old Greying Accountant rates Iris Professional

Any votes for Sage 50 payroll professional? Seems comparable in price (£765+vat for over 100 employees, but not sure if there is a limit)

 

Thanks (1)

Multi-user

Do you think you're likely to need simultaneous multiple user access within one company? (ie multiple users simultaneously accessing the same company to phrase it more clearly)

Thanks (0)
avatar
By stt
02nd May 2012 10:08

Tom, I'm looking for a single user single PC installation

What's the maximum number of employees 12Pay can cope with? Can it import P46 data/pay variations each month? And can it convert data from other packages?

Thanks (0)

In answer to your questions...

stt wrote:

Tom, I'm looking for a single user single PC installation

What's the maximum number of employees 12Pay can cope with? Can it import P46 data/pay variations each month? And can it convert data from other packages?

The largest employer using 12Pay will file just under 2000 p14s for 2011/12. They're using SQL Server and have multi-user. The largest "desktop" site we've been aware of was about 800 employees, though we've tried it internally with thousands to see how well it would work without any particular negatives.

Yes you can import new starters each month.

Yes you can import timesheet pay etc data from a spreadsheet, and you can import changes to regular payments/deductions too.

Yes you can import employees from a spreadsheet.

Thanks (1)
avatar
02nd May 2012 09:41

any online solutions

brightpay

mypaye

12pay

 

Thanks (0)
avatar
By stt
02nd May 2012 10:09

 

 

I'd be interest in experiences of brightpay

 

 

Thanks (0)
avatar
25th Jun 2012 16:24

Iris payroll bureau

Further to the comments above does anybody know if Iris Payroll Professional can cope with multi-user network installations?

Thanks (0)
avatar
By Old Greying Accountant
25th Jun 2012 16:33

I think ...

... yes - but why not ask them?

Thanks (0)
avatar
25th Jun 2012 16:50

Network version

I have checked with them but our IT department believes that it can't be. I just wanted to see if anybody had experience of this. I have 3 separate workstations that would need to access the data.

Thanks (0)
avatar
By Old Greying Accountant
26th Jun 2012 17:33

Just checked ...

... with my associates who use it.

They have IRIS payroll networked with multi concurrent users! You would have to have the net-work licence and not the stand alone one of course

 

Thanks (2)