petersaxton
Blogger
Share this content
0
1746

Jermaine Jenas

Jermaine Jenas

Footie in mouth: Millionaire Jermaine Jenas says rich should pay more tax... after joining ‘dodgy’ avoidance plan

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/6978797/Match-Of-The-Day-pundi...

That's why I never believe these people who say they want to pay more tax.

Replies

Please login or register to join the discussion.

06th Mar 2016 12:47

Use tax cuts to raise tax

GO claims that reducing the 50% tax to 45% gained an extra £8bn in tax. :)

Generally, people want others to pay tax, but not themselves. That's the pulling factor of tax avoidance schemes ... let somebody else pay for the hospitals, education, etc.

Thanks (2)
06th Mar 2016 14:08

Tax cuts

ShirleyM wrote:

GO claims that reducing the 50% tax to 45% gained an extra £8bn in tax. :)

Generally, people want others to pay tax, but not themselves. That's the pulling factor of tax avoidance schemes ... let somebody else pay for the hospitals, education, etc.

That's quite easy to understand. If people are taxed less then high earners are more willing to earn more because they will keep a bigger proportion of their earnings. People are more willing to come to this country and pay tax rather than go to/stay in places like France and pay more tax.

Thanks (1)
06th Mar 2016 19:30

But

petersaxton wrote:

ShirleyM wrote:

GO claims that reducing the 50% tax to 45% gained an extra £8bn in tax. :)

That's quite easy to understand. If people are taxed less then high earners are more willing to earn more because they will keep a bigger proportion of their earnings. People are more willing to come to this country and pay tax rather than go to/stay in places like France and pay more tax.

But how would you be able to measure what didn't happen ?

Any fool can make up statements like that.

Thanks (1)
06th Mar 2016 19:47

The amount

lionofludesch wrote:

petersaxton wrote:

ShirleyM wrote:

GO claims that reducing the 50% tax to 45% gained an extra £8bn in tax. :)

That's quite easy to understand. If people are taxed less then high earners are more willing to earn more because they will keep a bigger proportion of their earnings. People are more willing to come to this country and pay tax rather than go to/stay in places like France and pay more tax.

But how would you be able to measure what didn't happen ?

Any fool can make up statements like that.

He measured it by the extra tax received. The question is whether there will be the same amount of tax received in the next year and whether there are any other factors. This is the big problem with all the analysis - there's too much changing to isolate reasons for the changes and quantify them.

Thanks (1)
06th Mar 2016 19:58

Extra

petersaxton wrote:

He measured it by the extra tax received. The question is whether there will be the same amount of tax received in the next year and whether there are any other factors. This is the big problem with all the analysis - there's too much changing to isolate reasons for the changes and quantify them.

I see. Well, as you say, the reasons for that increase are open to interpretation.  Maybe people just had to work harder to find the money for energy bill increases. Who knows ?

Thanks (0)
06th Mar 2016 20:07

An example today

lionofludesch wrote:

petersaxton wrote:

He measured it by the extra tax received. The question is whether there will be the same amount of tax received in the next year and whether there are any other factors. This is the big problem with all the analysis - there's too much changing to isolate reasons for the changes and quantify them.

I see. Well, as you say, the reasons for that increase are open to interpretation.  Maybe people just had to work harder to find the money for energy bill increases. Who knows ?

I said to my wife that you see more white cars about. She said it was because people didn't used to have to pay extra to have their new car painted white but they do now. I said that should be a reason for there to be less new white cars. She said it wasn't because people wanted to impress others by driving around in something that was more expensive. People can argue practically any way they want!

When I was asked what colour I wanted for our new car I told them. I didn't think about whether it would cost more or not.

Thanks (1)
avatar
07th Mar 2016 09:55

White

petersaxton wrote:

lionofludesch wrote:

petersaxton wrote:

He measured it by the extra tax received. The question is whether there will be the same amount of tax received in the next year and whether there are any other factors. This is the big problem with all the analysis - there's too much changing to isolate reasons for the changes and quantify them.

I see. Well, as you say, the reasons for that increase are open to interpretation.  Maybe people just had to work harder to find the money for energy bill increases. Who knows ?

I said to my wife that you see more white cars about. She said it was because people didn't used to have to pay extra to have their new car painted white but they do now. I said that should be a reason for there to be less new white cars. She said it wasn't because people wanted to impress others by driving around in something that was more expensive. People can argue practically any way they want!

When I was asked what colour I wanted for our new car I told them. I didn't think about whether it would cost more or not.

 

When I got my car the only colour you didn't have to pay extra for was white!

Thanks (0)
07th Mar 2016 10:32

when?

Jean- Ralphio wrote:

petersaxton wrote:

lionofludesch wrote:

petersaxton wrote:

He measured it by the extra tax received. The question is whether there will be the same amount of tax received in the next year and whether there are any other factors. This is the big problem with all the analysis - there's too much changing to isolate reasons for the changes and quantify them.

I see. Well, as you say, the reasons for that increase are open to interpretation.  Maybe people just had to work harder to find the money for energy bill increases. Who knows ?

I said to my wife that you see more white cars about. She said it was because people didn't used to have to pay extra to have their new car painted white but they do now. I said that should be a reason for there to be less new white cars. She said it wasn't because people wanted to impress others by driving around in something that was more expensive. People can argue practically any way they want!

When I was asked what colour I wanted for our new car I told them. I didn't think about whether it would cost more or not.

When I got my car the only colour you didn't have to pay extra for was white!

 

when was that?

Thanks (0)
avatar
07th Mar 2016 14:51

December 15. I wouldn't ordinarily go for white, but the other choices were pretty awful, and cost £650 more. 

 

Mazda by the way

Thanks (0)
06th Mar 2016 14:57

Oh ...

It isn't because they delayed the receipt date then? I guess we'll see whether the increase in tax take is sustained year on year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/george-osborne-claims-cutting-the-top-rate-of-tax-raised-8bn-it-cost-the-country-24bn-and-heres-how-a6905836.html

Thanks (1)
06th Mar 2016 19:29

Exactly

I've never been a big fan of government forecasts. You see so many changes to forecasts and when the relevant day arrives the actual usually bears no relation to the original forecast.

What is the logic for arriving at the amount of income that would be delayed?

Thanks (0)
By mwngiol
07th Mar 2016 09:22

Tax

Slightly off-topic but I went to my brother's house yesterday and saw a copy of the Sun on Sunday which had an article about how little Corporation Tax is paid by Facebook per employee. Corporation Tax per employee. I didn't even know that was a thing.

Thanks (1)
07th Mar 2016 09:30

Jermaine Jenas

Has stolen a football career. He just wants to preserve his wealth in case someone takes it back off him.

Thanks (0)
07th Mar 2016 10:38

Black cars

I had a black car once.  Never again - they're just too difficult to see. Had three accidents with it, sold it and it was written off in a head-on crash a few months later.

Fluorescent yellows and oranges for me in future.

Thanks (0)
07th Mar 2016 10:53

Mine's black

lionofludesch wrote:

I had a black car once.  Never again - they're just too difficult to see. Had three accidents with it, sold it and it was written off in a head-on crash a few months later.

Fluorescent yellows and oranges for me in future.

Mine's black. We have had the car for 15 months and never had a crash. My wife drives and she's very good. See how she effortlessly drives out of the way of a car driving the wrong way down a one way street. You can watch from 1:20 if the earlier stuff bores you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkPJpDlNPzg

 

 

Thanks (0)
07th Mar 2016 10:39

Statistics

Anyway, 79% of quoted statistics are made up on the spot.

Thanks (1)
avatar
07th Mar 2016 10:59

White too

My car is white when I got it 18 months ago white was the free colour too.

Thanks (0)
07th Mar 2016 11:14

@peter

Those dogs distracting you from work?

Thanks (0)
07th Mar 2016 13:09

Not only

Democratus wrote:

Those dogs distracting you from work?

Lots of things distract me.

Thanks (0)
07th Mar 2016 15:51

Shiny

petersaxton wrote:

Democratus wrote:

Those dogs distracting you from work?

Lots of things distract me.

Nothing ever distra......Oooh, look, shiny.

Thanks (3)
By Glennzy
07th Mar 2016 11:20

Car Trends

I thought white cars where just on trend at the minute, but that it had nothing to do with the price of paint.

My car is atually white and fairly sure that the blue black etc where all the same unless you wanted metallic which was a few quid extra.

Your right about statastics though can be twisted either way by the user to get what you want.

90% of people die in bed, but that doesn't make your bed a dangerous place to be, unless your in it with me.

Jenas used to frequent the some of the bars in Newcastle when I worked in them and I remember him throwing a £1000 bundle of cash at bar maid for £800 round of drinks telling her to keep the change and that he had doubled her wages for the week the arrogant little toss pot.

 

 

Thanks (0)
07th Mar 2016 13:13

Wird and growing up

Glennzy wrote:

I thought white cars where just on trend at the minute, but that it had nothing to do with the price of paint.

My car is atually white and fairly sure that the blue black etc where all the same unless you wanted metallic which was a few quid extra.

Your right about statastics though can be twisted either way by the user to get what you want.

90% of people die in bed, but that doesn't make your bed a dangerous place to be, unless your in it with me.

Jenas used to frequent the some of the bars in Newcastle when I worked in them and I remember him throwing a £1000 bundle of cash at bar maid for £800 round of drinks telling her to keep the change and that he had doubled her wages for the week the arrogant little toss pot.

I agree with you about the white cars. My wife has some weird ideas.

It looks like Jenas has grown up and is trying to change his image.

Thanks (0)
07th Mar 2016 16:27

Grown up?

petersaxton wrote:

It looks like Jenas has grown up and is trying to change his image.

He still looks like he doesn't (need to) shave.

Thanks (1)
07th Mar 2016 15:57

I gave up and Googled Jermaine Jenas

I had never heard of him...and now I know why.

Thanks (0)
By Glennzy
07th Mar 2016 16:37

I cannot decide what is harder to comprehend

Jenas on Question Time or Dion Dublin on Homes Under the Hammer.

Stick to punditry lads.

Thanks (0)
07th Mar 2016 16:44

Gabby Agbonlahor

Glennzy wrote:

Jenas on Question Time or Dion Dublin on Homes Under the Hammer.

Stick to punditry lads.

I don't know what Dion Dublin is like as a presenter but footballers can know a lot about houses.

I've seen some nice houses bought/built by footballers who then proceed to transform them so that anybody who visits feels sick.

Gabby Agbonlahor at least had a reasonably impressive house.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3477310/Is-ultimate-footballer-s...

 

Thanks (0)
avatar
07th Mar 2016 21:38

I found this and it made me chuckle

https://kvisit.com/S_YDhAw

You can stream it direct from youtube but if you are in UK you would need to go there via a foreign proxy server. On the assumption that most of you would not be arsed to do that you would need to download the mp4 file from the above URL.

With kind regards

Clint Westwood

Thanks (2)
Share this content