Share this content

losses cf have to use them


Scratching my head a bit,  I have a (self assessment) client who doesnt wand to use his losses brought forward, on rental income, as they want their income to look as large as possible for personal reasons. 

I dont believe you can pick and chose can you?  We have to offset all losses bf against profits.

Am I correct on that?




Please login or register to join the discussion.

Accounting profit v Taxable profits

Why not produce a set of property accounts and an income statement, signed off by you as accountant?

You can then have the best of both worlds - show high accounting profits and minimise your clients tax liabilities.

Job done and pat on the back from your client!

Thanks (0)


As KA suggests, two sets of accounts may help and is what I have done for a number of clients previously. However.........a high earning client of mine this year was looking to remortgage, the mortgage provider wouldn't even look at a set of accounts, they insisted solely on the SA302 from HMRC, not even an SA302 produced by me, as a qualified accountant.

Thanks (0)