Share this content

Negligible value assets


I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.

I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.

A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.

I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.

Has anyone had any experience they could offer me

If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)

Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards



Please login or register to join the discussion.

Aren't you out of time? When was Enron? 

Thanks (0)

I think it was around 2003, however i was under the impression that as long as you still owned them, you could make a negligible claim, is this still the case?

Thanks (0)

Previously on accountingweb

This is what we decided last time. 


Thanks (0)

i can't get into the link as it says that i need to be signed in but i do not have a password!

Thanks (0)

You'll have to register. (It's free)

Thanks (0)