I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!