Share this content

Resign as a director

Resign as a director

I am one of two directors.

Can I just resign by completing the appropriate companies house form?
(Where the companies house form requires signing by a serving director - does this mean the remaining director or can you sign this when retiring yourself?)

Or is a resolution required?


Please login or register to join the discussion.

07th Jun 2009 21:54

not sure what "general public" refers to,
If Mr A relies on Mr X being a director of a company, acts accordingly, and then loses out, he may have a credible legal case if he has reasonable grounds for his belief that Mr X was a director even if in law he was not.

What constitutes reasonable grounds, and how it affects the case, will wholly depend on the circs.
Mr X being listed on Co Ho file as a director might be a very decisive factor, or could be of virtually no relevance at all, to Mr A having reasonable grounds for his belief, depending on the circs.

There is no doubt that the actual / potential individual "director" and the company are both well advised to ensure the public record is maintained on an up-to-date basis to avoid precisely any such doubt or potential wrangle.

Thanks (0)
06th Jun 2009 14:12

Can general public rely on companies house records?
If a resignation was not filed at companies house, can the general public still assume that the person resigning is still a director, as they have no way of knowing different?

Thanks (0)
By Anonymous
12th May 2009 18:24


Thanks (0)
By Anonymous
12th May 2009 12:23

if 2 directors are in disagreement:
can 1 director in any way block the other from resigning?
from the comments below it would appear not.

Thanks (0)
11th May 2009 16:21

just to clarify.....
.... as this sort of query about Companies House comes up in all sorts of ways.

Legally, the company records are the records that matter.
Companies House records are merely a "copy" of the company records made available under law for public inspection ; Co Ho records are NOT the prime or "original" record for legal purposes at all.
(including who are the registered shareholders - it's the company register that counts, not what is filed at Co Ho).

If there were to be a legal dispute, usually the company records will take total precedence over any filings made at Co Ho (of course, if there is a difference between the two, then issues may follow, but beware assuming Co Ho records are legally definitive ; they are not).

So it's actually vital that you write to the director / co secretary at the company's registered office if you resign!!

Of course, you would be well advised to also ensure your resignation is notified direct to Co Ho as well.

(And well advised to send your resignation letter to the company by registered/signed for delivery if there are difficulties going on (which your post implies may be the case) )

Thanks (0)
By Anonymous
11th May 2009 15:57

no resolution required
You can sign and file the form 288b with Companies House. However you should also notify the company, either with a copy of the form or a letter of resignation.

It will then be up to the company, normally the company secretary if they have one, to record your resignation in the register of directors.

No resolution is required, but it is good practice to note that the resignation occured the next time the company holds a board meeting.

Thanks (0)