Share this content

Tax rebate

I have been asked to help a friend get a tax rebate they are entitled to.  The rebate would usually be via a tax code adjustment.

I have done work for them previously & never got paid!!!!!!

Does anyone know if/how I could get the rebate paid to me so that I could deduct my fee prior passing on the remainder to my friend.


Please login or register to join the discussion.

If the rebate is being applied for using HMRC form R40 or the Self Assessmnet Form, then there is a box which can be completed where the person signs to agree to you getting the refund.


I would add, however, that if you have not been paid in the past, you will need to get them to agree how much you can keep. Plus, if you are a member of a body such as the ACCA< ICAEW etc, there will be a need for you to put the excess over the amount you have agreed as your fee in a client account!


Also, we have had cases where HMRC have overlooked the authority and sent the refund direct to client!



Thanks (0)
27th Dec 2012 09:25

Are you afraid to ask?

Ask him to pay for last time and pay you upfront for this time around as well - before you do anything.

Thanks (1)