Share this content

transitional Relief

transitional Relief

I have a client who has ceased trading. We took him on in 2010, and his former agent never supplied us with the Transitional Ovelap Relief from 1996/97.

Has anyone had any sucess with getting these figures from HMRC?


Please login or register to join the discussion.

By MJShone
22nd Jan 2013 16:13


A few years ago, I inherited a couple of clients in partnership where the overlap relief wasn't shown on the previous year's tax return and the previous agent couldn't help. It took some persistence (and going up the line in HMRC until I found someone who knew what I was talking about) but I did eventually get the overlap figures agreed. It was a while ago, but I think the HMRC bod and I both worked from old copies of tax returns that he'd obtained from within HMRC.


Good luck!

Thanks (0)
By Old Greying Accountant
22nd Jan 2013 21:13

I've never had any problem

I have written a number of times, takes a few weeks but they send you back the details.

Thanks (0)
23rd Jan 2013 10:43


Just ask HMRC for a copy of the tax return for 1997/98 or failing that, the tax calculation for 1997/98 although that will show the profit after CAs, rather than before.

Thanks (0)