Share this content

What is the 'carry forward' facility for pension contributions?

If a higher rate tax payer earns £2,000 in 2012 from self-employment but makes no pension contribution can they increase their basic rate tax band by paying £2,000 into a recognised pension scheme in 2013 DESPITE having no self-employed earnings in 2013 ?


Please login or register to join the discussion.

01st Mar 2013 15:47

Red Herring?

Doesn't really matter what the source of earnings is.

Yes they can pay into a pension scheme and increase their basic rate tax band.

They will only be subject to the annual alloowance for pension contributions which is currently £50,000 pa.



Thanks (0)