ACCA Council candidates
Have any of my fellow long suffering ACCA colleagues had a look at the list of candidates for election to the ACCA Council?
A lot of them seem to be from Hong Kong, although many of them are pretty evasive as to where they live and work.
I could only find one candidate to vote for and even he didn't tick many boxes.
I guess that this is since the rule change which means that a set percentage of Council no longer need to be UK Auditors.
Going by the ACCA website stats 63% of all ACCA members are from "Europe & Americas" yet fewer than 45% of these candidates are from E&A. It will be interesting to see what the geographical make-up of the Council is after the AGM.
It seems to me as though the ACCA gets it UK credibility from UK Practising Certificate holders but doesn't expect to have to do much to meet their needs.
The ACCA qualification appears to have become the equivalent of an international MBA. It was very different when I joined as a student 25 odd years ago. Then along came the foreign travel loving Anthea Rose who took the helm and set a course for international expansion.
It reminds me of the UK's membership of the EC where the public are desperate for a referendum but the politicians are determined not to give them one as they know what the result would be. If the ACCA asked the UK membership for their views on the whole Global Domination strategy I can't imagine that the UK membership would endorse it.
In a recent Any Answers thread one poster announced that he was in both the ACCA and the ICPA. I was shocked by this as I always thought that one organisation demonstrated its members' compliance with UK best practice whilst the other was little more than a sham trade association giving its subscribers some official looking letters with which to hoodwink the public into believing that the fee payer was a bona-fide time served qualified accountant.
I'm starting to think that I've been overtaken by events and that the future lies in surrendering my ACCA membership and joining a trade body.
- Car benefit or not? 2,493 25
- substantial shareholding exemption 136 1
- Land Registry 377 5
- Sole Trader or Ltd Company 204 3
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,714 24
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 469 9
- Large director's pension contribution 553 8
- Credit for price reduction - Inventory write down effect 87 1
- Company car and the new dividend tax rules 259 4
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 346 12
- Appropriate mileage allowance rate for privately leased car 95 3
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 173 5
- Company Structure 625 16
- Non reporting RTI - penalties 480 8
- Best software for small practice? 741 21
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,803 40
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 327 7
- Best Auto Enrollment Provider for clients DIY 177 6
- Cloud-based email services? 726 13
- Disclosure of client assets under IFRS 106 2
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 787
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 464
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 280
- DTA tie-breaker issue 274
- CGT for NOn UK residents 237
- Apprenticeship Levy 213
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 202
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 196
- Just checking re PSA 189
- Capital Gains personal representatives 186