ACCA Council candidates
Have any of my fellow long suffering ACCA colleagues had a look at the list of candidates for election to the ACCA Council?
A lot of them seem to be from Hong Kong, although many of them are pretty evasive as to where they live and work.
I could only find one candidate to vote for and even he didn't tick many boxes.
I guess that this is since the rule change which means that a set percentage of Council no longer need to be UK Auditors.
Going by the ACCA website stats 63% of all ACCA members are from "Europe & Americas" yet fewer than 45% of these candidates are from E&A. It will be interesting to see what the geographical make-up of the Council is after the AGM.
It seems to me as though the ACCA gets it UK credibility from UK Practising Certificate holders but doesn't expect to have to do much to meet their needs.
The ACCA qualification appears to have become the equivalent of an international MBA. It was very different when I joined as a student 25 odd years ago. Then along came the foreign travel loving Anthea Rose who took the helm and set a course for international expansion.
It reminds me of the UK's membership of the EC where the public are desperate for a referendum but the politicians are determined not to give them one as they know what the result would be. If the ACCA asked the UK membership for their views on the whole Global Domination strategy I can't imagine that the UK membership would endorse it.
In a recent Any Answers thread one poster announced that he was in both the ACCA and the ICPA. I was shocked by this as I always thought that one organisation demonstrated its members' compliance with UK best practice whilst the other was little more than a sham trade association giving its subscribers some official looking letters with which to hoodwink the public into believing that the fee payer was a bona-fide time served qualified accountant.
I'm starting to think that I've been overtaken by events and that the future lies in surrendering my ACCA membership and joining a trade body.
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 292 6
- Cash injection by shareholder 197 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,563 429
- 40% rule for travel expenses 243 2
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 249 8
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,198 61
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 392 20
- 100% Xero practice 2,377 43
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 333 5
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 279 8
- PRR 309 12
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 203 3
- corp tax software 372 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 453 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 480 7
- Which tax box 202 2
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 166 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 282 3
- References for clients 247 2
- Direct Debit - no receipts 187 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,300
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 468
- National Insurance 361
- Non Resident 284
- Franchise income and costs 258
- Hands on experience of Digita 212
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 174
- Employer's Helpline 160
- employment capital allowances 152
- CIS paid under reg 9 145