ACCA Council candidates
Have any of my fellow long suffering ACCA colleagues had a look at the list of candidates for election to the ACCA Council?
A lot of them seem to be from Hong Kong, although many of them are pretty evasive as to where they live and work.
I could only find one candidate to vote for and even he didn't tick many boxes.
I guess that this is since the rule change which means that a set percentage of Council no longer need to be UK Auditors.
Going by the ACCA website stats 63% of all ACCA members are from "Europe & Americas" yet fewer than 45% of these candidates are from E&A. It will be interesting to see what the geographical make-up of the Council is after the AGM.
It seems to me as though the ACCA gets it UK credibility from UK Practising Certificate holders but doesn't expect to have to do much to meet their needs.
The ACCA qualification appears to have become the equivalent of an international MBA. It was very different when I joined as a student 25 odd years ago. Then along came the foreign travel loving Anthea Rose who took the helm and set a course for international expansion.
It reminds me of the UK's membership of the EC where the public are desperate for a referendum but the politicians are determined not to give them one as they know what the result would be. If the ACCA asked the UK membership for their views on the whole Global Domination strategy I can't imagine that the UK membership would endorse it.
In a recent Any Answers thread one poster announced that he was in both the ACCA and the ICPA. I was shocked by this as I always thought that one organisation demonstrated its members' compliance with UK best practice whilst the other was little more than a sham trade association giving its subscribers some official looking letters with which to hoodwink the public into believing that the fee payer was a bona-fide time served qualified accountant.
I'm starting to think that I've been overtaken by events and that the future lies in surrendering my ACCA membership and joining a trade body.
- Taxfiler V's BTC 710 27
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 51 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 2,667 25
- Allowable expenditure when claiming wear & tear 137 6
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 290 7
- Audit procedures on a dormant company 53 1
- Sage reporting 71 3
- BTC Software 206 8
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 219 7
- Expense receipt from previous quarter not included in VAT return 33 1
- Completing RP1 form in re Redundancy /Insolvency 208 7
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 128 2
- CGT implications for gift of shares to connected person 188 8
- Directors loan accounts 185 5
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 194 4
- Data Protection and emailing documents 1,177 18
- New Practice 347 18
- Change of director first name on Annual Return 98 1
- CGT on second home? 112 3
- Myfirmsapp 705 17
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,011
- International interest certificate 591
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 518
- NOVA 474
- Bonus Bonds 358
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 338
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 258
- Payment for Promotional Samples 232
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 225
- Quickbooks 2015 154