ACCA Council candidates
Have any of my fellow long suffering ACCA colleagues had a look at the list of candidates for election to the ACCA Council?
A lot of them seem to be from Hong Kong, although many of them are pretty evasive as to where they live and work.
I could only find one candidate to vote for and even he didn't tick many boxes.
I guess that this is since the rule change which means that a set percentage of Council no longer need to be UK Auditors.
Going by the ACCA website stats 63% of all ACCA members are from "Europe & Americas" yet fewer than 45% of these candidates are from E&A. It will be interesting to see what the geographical make-up of the Council is after the AGM.
It seems to me as though the ACCA gets it UK credibility from UK Practising Certificate holders but doesn't expect to have to do much to meet their needs.
The ACCA qualification appears to have become the equivalent of an international MBA. It was very different when I joined as a student 25 odd years ago. Then along came the foreign travel loving Anthea Rose who took the helm and set a course for international expansion.
It reminds me of the UK's membership of the EC where the public are desperate for a referendum but the politicians are determined not to give them one as they know what the result would be. If the ACCA asked the UK membership for their views on the whole Global Domination strategy I can't imagine that the UK membership would endorse it.
In a recent Any Answers thread one poster announced that he was in both the ACCA and the ICPA. I was shocked by this as I always thought that one organisation demonstrated its members' compliance with UK best practice whilst the other was little more than a sham trade association giving its subscribers some official looking letters with which to hoodwink the public into believing that the fee payer was a bona-fide time served qualified accountant.
I'm starting to think that I've been overtaken by events and that the future lies in surrendering my ACCA membership and joining a trade body.
- HMRC filing meltdown? 131 6
- Why do I do this every year 52 2
- Limited Companies Merger 179 5
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 187 18
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,524 41
- eBay trading 195 4
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 247 10
- Self assesment online 879 10
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 1,095 46
- childcare 81 3
- Childcare voucher schemes 217 8
- What sectors to target? 528 25
- Rent a room scheme query. 125 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 441 12
- PAYE Control Visit 183 2
- Practice management 331 6
- Repayment of maternity pay 198 4
- Journals to Creditors Control 249 8
- Capital allowances on Software 124 1
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 215 10
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 919
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 637
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 592
- Latest phishing scam 569
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 396
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 302
- Scratch Head 223
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 219
- Capital allowances in first basis period 209
- Sabbatical payments 189