ACCA Council candidates
Have any of my fellow long suffering ACCA colleagues had a look at the list of candidates for election to the ACCA Council?
A lot of them seem to be from Hong Kong, although many of them are pretty evasive as to where they live and work.
I could only find one candidate to vote for and even he didn't tick many boxes.
I guess that this is since the rule change which means that a set percentage of Council no longer need to be UK Auditors.
Going by the ACCA website stats 63% of all ACCA members are from "Europe & Americas" yet fewer than 45% of these candidates are from E&A. It will be interesting to see what the geographical make-up of the Council is after the AGM.
It seems to me as though the ACCA gets it UK credibility from UK Practising Certificate holders but doesn't expect to have to do much to meet their needs.
The ACCA qualification appears to have become the equivalent of an international MBA. It was very different when I joined as a student 25 odd years ago. Then along came the foreign travel loving Anthea Rose who took the helm and set a course for international expansion.
It reminds me of the UK's membership of the EC where the public are desperate for a referendum but the politicians are determined not to give them one as they know what the result would be. If the ACCA asked the UK membership for their views on the whole Global Domination strategy I can't imagine that the UK membership would endorse it.
In a recent Any Answers thread one poster announced that he was in both the ACCA and the ICPA. I was shocked by this as I always thought that one organisation demonstrated its members' compliance with UK best practice whilst the other was little more than a sham trade association giving its subscribers some official looking letters with which to hoodwink the public into believing that the fee payer was a bona-fide time served qualified accountant.
I'm starting to think that I've been overtaken by events and that the future lies in surrendering my ACCA membership and joining a trade body.
- Overdrawn DLA 87 6
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 2,997 30
- Companies House incorporation service 440 14
- CIS monthly declaration 97 7
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 47 1
- Self assesment losses 144 4
- Electronic v printed payslips 90 1
- Where to advertise for staff 174 5
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 862 36
- Personal investment trading company 59 1
- CIS schemes 253 1
- Form 2.8b notice of intention to appoint administrator 90 1
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 112 2
- Excel formula 514 11
- Ltd company or sole trader 526 13
- Self assessment tax arrears 446 4
- overdrawn directors loan 159 4
- P35 and Service Company questions 295 7
- Should the Report of the Director be included in the interim financial statements of a small company 152 2
- Fee protection 715 12
- Xtuple 558
- Qtac payroll for bureau 379
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 329
- Industrial & Provident Societies 319
- Domain name sale and limited company 214
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 198
- Investment 198
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 197
- Tax on damages received 160
- Is an apprenticship classed as another job for PAYE RTI rules 139