ACCA Council candidates
Have any of my fellow long suffering ACCA colleagues had a look at the list of candidates for election to the ACCA Council?
A lot of them seem to be from Hong Kong, although many of them are pretty evasive as to where they live and work.
I could only find one candidate to vote for and even he didn't tick many boxes.
I guess that this is since the rule change which means that a set percentage of Council no longer need to be UK Auditors.
Going by the ACCA website stats 63% of all ACCA members are from "Europe & Americas" yet fewer than 45% of these candidates are from E&A. It will be interesting to see what the geographical make-up of the Council is after the AGM.
It seems to me as though the ACCA gets it UK credibility from UK Practising Certificate holders but doesn't expect to have to do much to meet their needs.
The ACCA qualification appears to have become the equivalent of an international MBA. It was very different when I joined as a student 25 odd years ago. Then along came the foreign travel loving Anthea Rose who took the helm and set a course for international expansion.
It reminds me of the UK's membership of the EC where the public are desperate for a referendum but the politicians are determined not to give them one as they know what the result would be. If the ACCA asked the UK membership for their views on the whole Global Domination strategy I can't imagine that the UK membership would endorse it.
In a recent Any Answers thread one poster announced that he was in both the ACCA and the ICPA. I was shocked by this as I always thought that one organisation demonstrated its members' compliance with UK best practice whilst the other was little more than a sham trade association giving its subscribers some official looking letters with which to hoodwink the public into believing that the fee payer was a bona-fide time served qualified accountant.
I'm starting to think that I've been overtaken by events and that the future lies in surrendering my ACCA membership and joining a trade body.
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 377 21
- Sweet Tooth 103 5
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,008 13
- How would you account for warranty? 86 2
- LLP - Member leaving 60 4
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 175 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 152 2
- trading or dormant 81 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 66 1
- tax credits 103 5
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 504 19
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 171 6
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 558 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 254 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 105 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 188 3
- Foreign income for self employed 123 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 621 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 74 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 490 10
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 858
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 512
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 324
- How to format a stock book 300
- Tax efficient holding company structure 238
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 232
- Investment property company accounts template 223
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 216
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 184
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 157