ACCA Council candidates
Have any of my fellow long suffering ACCA colleagues had a look at the list of candidates for election to the ACCA Council?
A lot of them seem to be from Hong Kong, although many of them are pretty evasive as to where they live and work.
I could only find one candidate to vote for and even he didn't tick many boxes.
I guess that this is since the rule change which means that a set percentage of Council no longer need to be UK Auditors.
Going by the ACCA website stats 63% of all ACCA members are from "Europe & Americas" yet fewer than 45% of these candidates are from E&A. It will be interesting to see what the geographical make-up of the Council is after the AGM.
It seems to me as though the ACCA gets it UK credibility from UK Practising Certificate holders but doesn't expect to have to do much to meet their needs.
The ACCA qualification appears to have become the equivalent of an international MBA. It was very different when I joined as a student 25 odd years ago. Then along came the foreign travel loving Anthea Rose who took the helm and set a course for international expansion.
It reminds me of the UK's membership of the EC where the public are desperate for a referendum but the politicians are determined not to give them one as they know what the result would be. If the ACCA asked the UK membership for their views on the whole Global Domination strategy I can't imagine that the UK membership would endorse it.
In a recent Any Answers thread one poster announced that he was in both the ACCA and the ICPA. I was shocked by this as I always thought that one organisation demonstrated its members' compliance with UK best practice whilst the other was little more than a sham trade association giving its subscribers some official looking letters with which to hoodwink the public into believing that the fee payer was a bona-fide time served qualified accountant.
I'm starting to think that I've been overtaken by events and that the future lies in surrendering my ACCA membership and joining a trade body.
- Are clients getting more stupid? 1,229 21
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 256 8
- Accounts production software license expiry & possible alternatives 280 6
- Capital gain? 46 2
- Recharge for private use of a company car 344 8
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 408 8
- vat help for catering concession 267 10
- IHT dilemma 1,150 17
- Tax return software for remote working 225 3
- CGT 326 14
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 311 1
- Interest paid to non-UK company - Deduction 103 2
- Compliance check 500 13
- sole trader accountant 779 14
- Entrepreneurs Relief 394 15
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 599 21
- More AE! 487 11
- How to classify an asset 150 3
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 281 2
- when a charity makes a donation.... 179 4
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,076
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 776
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 459
- Digita Hosted Software 277
- Call Centre Data Costs 246
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 219
- Credit where credit's due....... 210
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 199
- Married Couples Allowance wasted? 182
- Director phone costs 144