ACCA Council candidates
Have any of my fellow long suffering ACCA colleagues had a look at the list of candidates for election to the ACCA Council?
A lot of them seem to be from Hong Kong, although many of them are pretty evasive as to where they live and work.
I could only find one candidate to vote for and even he didn't tick many boxes.
I guess that this is since the rule change which means that a set percentage of Council no longer need to be UK Auditors.
Going by the ACCA website stats 63% of all ACCA members are from "Europe & Americas" yet fewer than 45% of these candidates are from E&A. It will be interesting to see what the geographical make-up of the Council is after the AGM.
It seems to me as though the ACCA gets it UK credibility from UK Practising Certificate holders but doesn't expect to have to do much to meet their needs.
The ACCA qualification appears to have become the equivalent of an international MBA. It was very different when I joined as a student 25 odd years ago. Then along came the foreign travel loving Anthea Rose who took the helm and set a course for international expansion.
It reminds me of the UK's membership of the EC where the public are desperate for a referendum but the politicians are determined not to give them one as they know what the result would be. If the ACCA asked the UK membership for their views on the whole Global Domination strategy I can't imagine that the UK membership would endorse it.
In a recent Any Answers thread one poster announced that he was in both the ACCA and the ICPA. I was shocked by this as I always thought that one organisation demonstrated its members' compliance with UK best practice whilst the other was little more than a sham trade association giving its subscribers some official looking letters with which to hoodwink the public into believing that the fee payer was a bona-fide time served qualified accountant.
I'm starting to think that I've been overtaken by events and that the future lies in surrendering my ACCA membership and joining a trade body.
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 140 4
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 255 10
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 135 6
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 720 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 375 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 187 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 308 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 87 2
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 374 3
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 86 1
- Notes to statutory accounts 311 15
- Two clients (married to each other) disappeared from client list 380 9
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 125 2
- HMRC VAT misstatement disclosure 89 1
- VAT Registration 451 19
- Tax Credit Overpayment 271 9
- Property Expenses - Allowable 133 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 122 2
- Tax advice person/business 147 1
- Introduction of Goodwill 154 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,535
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 845
- International interest certificate 464
- NOVA 322
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 218
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 213
- Bonus Bonds 203
- Management expenses for investment company 199
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 188
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 175