ACCA Council candidates
Have any of my fellow long suffering ACCA colleagues had a look at the list of candidates for election to the ACCA Council?
A lot of them seem to be from Hong Kong, although many of them are pretty evasive as to where they live and work.
I could only find one candidate to vote for and even he didn't tick many boxes.
I guess that this is since the rule change which means that a set percentage of Council no longer need to be UK Auditors.
Going by the ACCA website stats 63% of all ACCA members are from "Europe & Americas" yet fewer than 45% of these candidates are from E&A. It will be interesting to see what the geographical make-up of the Council is after the AGM.
It seems to me as though the ACCA gets it UK credibility from UK Practising Certificate holders but doesn't expect to have to do much to meet their needs.
The ACCA qualification appears to have become the equivalent of an international MBA. It was very different when I joined as a student 25 odd years ago. Then along came the foreign travel loving Anthea Rose who took the helm and set a course for international expansion.
It reminds me of the UK's membership of the EC where the public are desperate for a referendum but the politicians are determined not to give them one as they know what the result would be. If the ACCA asked the UK membership for their views on the whole Global Domination strategy I can't imagine that the UK membership would endorse it.
In a recent Any Answers thread one poster announced that he was in both the ACCA and the ICPA. I was shocked by this as I always thought that one organisation demonstrated its members' compliance with UK best practice whilst the other was little more than a sham trade association giving its subscribers some official looking letters with which to hoodwink the public into believing that the fee payer was a bona-fide time served qualified accountant.
I'm starting to think that I've been overtaken by events and that the future lies in surrendering my ACCA membership and joining a trade body.
- Two sole traders working at same shop 412 3
- Unhappy client over fees 1,486 36
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 1,072 13
- Profit split /Rent 132 3
- Is it possible and what should be done? 223 3
- Capital Gains Tax and Enhancement 105 2
- Do HMRC impose harsher penalties on unrepresented taxpayers? 233 3
- Accounting software for investment holding company 200 2
- Disposal of freehold from Ltd Co to another Ltd in a newly formed group 109 1
- Is a Business Bank Account compulsory for a sole trader? 282 5
- Multi user accounting software 163 2
- S455 tax on existing loans on becoming a participator 135 1
- Does QuickBooks Online have aged debtors and creditors reports? 232 2
- Remortgage costs on redidential lettings 221 2
- Self-employed: claiming expenses initially paid by somebody else 423 11
- do i need an online accounting software 566 7
- VAT DIY self build shceme 139 1
- COMPANIES HOUSE - DOWN LOAD FREE ACCOUNTS 702 17
- Employee expenses & benefits - bringing myself up to date 263 1
- Backdating Partnership registration to 14/15 1,045 16
- NHS finance professionals 795
- Foreign Pension Contribution 480
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 474
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 409
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 379
- IFA income recognition & reporting 282
- Are subsistence claims firmly attached to the 24 month rule ? 269
- Form P55 in year tax repayment claim for non-resident 258
- When is sale recognised in an agency who receives commission? 224
- FRM claim for travel to training course 224