ACCA Council candidates
Have any of my fellow long suffering ACCA colleagues had a look at the list of candidates for election to the ACCA Council?
A lot of them seem to be from Hong Kong, although many of them are pretty evasive as to where they live and work.
I could only find one candidate to vote for and even he didn't tick many boxes.
I guess that this is since the rule change which means that a set percentage of Council no longer need to be UK Auditors.
Going by the ACCA website stats 63% of all ACCA members are from "Europe & Americas" yet fewer than 45% of these candidates are from E&A. It will be interesting to see what the geographical make-up of the Council is after the AGM.
It seems to me as though the ACCA gets it UK credibility from UK Practising Certificate holders but doesn't expect to have to do much to meet their needs.
The ACCA qualification appears to have become the equivalent of an international MBA. It was very different when I joined as a student 25 odd years ago. Then along came the foreign travel loving Anthea Rose who took the helm and set a course for international expansion.
It reminds me of the UK's membership of the EC where the public are desperate for a referendum but the politicians are determined not to give them one as they know what the result would be. If the ACCA asked the UK membership for their views on the whole Global Domination strategy I can't imagine that the UK membership would endorse it.
In a recent Any Answers thread one poster announced that he was in both the ACCA and the ICPA. I was shocked by this as I always thought that one organisation demonstrated its members' compliance with UK best practice whilst the other was little more than a sham trade association giving its subscribers some official looking letters with which to hoodwink the public into believing that the fee payer was a bona-fide time served qualified accountant.
I'm starting to think that I've been overtaken by events and that the future lies in surrendering my ACCA membership and joining a trade body.
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 125 5
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 151 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 321 6
- CGT history of shares 166 3
- CGT on sale of let property 99 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 163 2
- how do i get UTR 128 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 79 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 230 3
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 386 11
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 117 1
- Your comments please 306 6
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 183 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 114 2
- EIS 194 4
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 120 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 113 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 115 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 722 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 200 1
- Moving away from CCH software 965
- QROP pension input amounts 449
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 393
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 378
- fraud 302
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 274
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 242
- Construction CIS LLP Company 227
- EPS and CIS deductions 220
- Out of time or not? 205