Accountant gone AWOL
One of my recent client is having real problems getting hold of his previous accountant to get all his paperwork back.
The clients total VAT reclaim on his purchases was disallowed since he did not produce evidence of purchase invoice for a van.
The client has tried contacting the accountant several times. The client knows that the accountant is abroad doing some charity work. He does not know when the accountant will be back. It has now been a two months.
I wrote to HMRC explaning the situation. No response on this.
HMRC are chasing (debt collectors) the client for the full VAT on his sales without deduction for purchases. He explained the situation to them. They just advised him to change accountants.
What can be done
- Get HMRC off the client's back for a month or so?
- If clients is not able to get the documentation from the previous accountant on time.
- Contingent Liability - Copyright Dispute - Disclosure ? 238 7
- Directors loan accounts 367 9
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 309 7
- Payment for Promotional Samples 250 1
- Transactions between Associated Companies 101 2
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 165 1
- Employed clients and expenses 792 14
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,032 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 695 29
- Taxfiler V's BTC 892 34
- Know it alls (who don't) 1,098 20
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 499 18
- I.d for vat registration 269 10
- Bookkeping software 900 9
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 286 9
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 251 4
- Auto Enrolment set up 344 2
- SA302's anyone?? 2,826 42
- VAT return - Box 7 & 9 Vat cash accounting 124 2
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 157 6
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 539
- NOVA 488
- Bonus Bonds 374
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 353
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 274
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 239
- Friendly Pensions 170
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 156
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 140
- Finance Lease 139