Accountant gone AWOL
One of my recent client is having real problems getting hold of his previous accountant to get all his paperwork back.
The clients total VAT reclaim on his purchases was disallowed since he did not produce evidence of purchase invoice for a van.
The client has tried contacting the accountant several times. The client knows that the accountant is abroad doing some charity work. He does not know when the accountant will be back. It has now been a two months.
I wrote to HMRC explaning the situation. No response on this.
HMRC are chasing (debt collectors) the client for the full VAT on his sales without deduction for purchases. He explained the situation to them. They just advised him to change accountants.
What can be done
- Get HMRC off the client's back for a month or so?
- If clients is not able to get the documentation from the previous accountant on time.
- Xero (another cloud system) and your year end accounts file 84 2
- Auto-Enrolment 3,395 164
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,670 25
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 323 4
- Property expense - legal fees 85 2
- OBK 134 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,702 588
- Rental Income Tax Planning 59 2
- What type of Trust? 83 1
- Dormant Company 110 2
- Accounting for a VAT Group 92 2
- Research expenses for authors 229 4
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 765 16
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 118 2
- Company Loan to associated company 71 1
- VAT on “Reimbursement” from third parties 143 5
- CLG exempt under s60 153 3
- Late VAT registration penalty 177 4
- How to consolidate an LLP? 227 7
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 192 4
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 505
- Skandia using wrong address 455
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 243
- Employee rewards 242
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 211
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 190
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 185
- Etax Australian 155