Accountant gone AWOL
One of my recent client is having real problems getting hold of his previous accountant to get all his paperwork back.
The clients total VAT reclaim on his purchases was disallowed since he did not produce evidence of purchase invoice for a van.
The client has tried contacting the accountant several times. The client knows that the accountant is abroad doing some charity work. He does not know when the accountant will be back. It has now been a two months.
I wrote to HMRC explaning the situation. No response on this.
HMRC are chasing (debt collectors) the client for the full VAT on his sales without deduction for purchases. He explained the situation to them. They just advised him to change accountants.
What can be done
- Get HMRC off the client's back for a month or so?
- If clients is not able to get the documentation from the previous accountant on time.
- Cloud accounting package 110 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 987 39
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 778 14
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 481 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 245 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 145 3
- PAYE – Directors NI 229 6
- Next Move 321 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 393 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 176 4
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 221 3
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 333 3
- Personal Tax Accounts. Are we all doomed. 698 10
- Accounts treatment of assets at cessation date 271 10
- Seeking advice: Vehicle usage 158 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,232 34
- Casual Driver 247 4
- Self Assessment Software 631 20
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 343 7
- How does HMRC give tax relief to Muslims for borrowing costs? 1,260 10
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 630
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 394
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 394
- Property letting & CAs 376
- 2015 tax year end 372
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 369
- FCA regulated company in a small group 335
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 230
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 223
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 217