Accountant gone AWOL
One of my recent client is having real problems getting hold of his previous accountant to get all his paperwork back.
The clients total VAT reclaim on his purchases was disallowed since he did not produce evidence of purchase invoice for a van.
The client has tried contacting the accountant several times. The client knows that the accountant is abroad doing some charity work. He does not know when the accountant will be back. It has now been a two months.
I wrote to HMRC explaning the situation. No response on this.
HMRC are chasing (debt collectors) the client for the full VAT on his sales without deduction for purchases. He explained the situation to them. They just advised him to change accountants.
What can be done
- Get HMRC off the client's back for a month or so?
- If clients is not able to get the documentation from the previous accountant on time.
- Do I need to register for VAT 23 2
- Amend a 2010/11 return 206 2
- Owner director gym membership 72 1
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,411 34
- Advanced SMP, but employee returns to work early 232 2
- Capital Gains 198 2
- VAT - Check on clients business 661 27
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 109 2
- How to claim relief under a Double Taxation Agreement 233 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,167 22
- ACCA Practising Certificate Holder 452 6
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 1,414 30
- Bankstream 842 20
- Compare 2 lists 1,687 30
- Transfer of a trade WITHOUT assets? 220 2
- UK tax on sale of Italian shares 228 3
- QBO VAT box 2 and 4 155 1
- How to deal with prior year error 236 2
- Repaying Directors Loans within 9 months 584 19
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,134 20