Accountant gone AWOL
One of my recent client is having real problems getting hold of his previous accountant to get all his paperwork back.
The clients total VAT reclaim on his purchases was disallowed since he did not produce evidence of purchase invoice for a van.
The client has tried contacting the accountant several times. The client knows that the accountant is abroad doing some charity work. He does not know when the accountant will be back. It has now been a two months.
I wrote to HMRC explaning the situation. No response on this.
HMRC are chasing (debt collectors) the client for the full VAT on his sales without deduction for purchases. He explained the situation to them. They just advised him to change accountants.
What can be done
- Get HMRC off the client's back for a month or so?
- If clients is not able to get the documentation from the previous accountant on time.
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 399 11
- What would you do in this situation? 84 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 117 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 594 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 621 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 70 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 338 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 240 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 216 5
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 95 2
- Sole trader hid directorships. 376 6
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,385 46
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 293 5
- NOVA 548 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 267 10
- Regional Development Grant 114 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,378 21
- Company car without a salary 221 2
- Charity donations 1,071 21
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 145 2
- Bonus Bonds 389
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 376
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 287
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 256
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 184
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 170
- Finance Lease 155
- Company Car Lease 152
- Form 42 147
- Demerger Reserve 129