Accountant gone AWOL
One of my recent client is having real problems getting hold of his previous accountant to get all his paperwork back.
The clients total VAT reclaim on his purchases was disallowed since he did not produce evidence of purchase invoice for a van.
The client has tried contacting the accountant several times. The client knows that the accountant is abroad doing some charity work. He does not know when the accountant will be back. It has now been a two months.
I wrote to HMRC explaning the situation. No response on this.
HMRC are chasing (debt collectors) the client for the full VAT on his sales without deduction for purchases. He explained the situation to them. They just advised him to change accountants.
What can be done
- Get HMRC off the client's back for a month or so?
- If clients is not able to get the documentation from the previous accountant on time.
- Sole trader works on client site - home costs??? 79 1
- members of a guarantee company 133 2
- How to do a Sage Journal/s to put things straight? 268 7
- Sole Trader business bought by a Ltd Company 215 6
- Maximum AIA Claimable 254 1
- On track to get SA tax returns done... 294 10
- HMRC requesting information 333 9
- 2 Properties being rented 311 4
- SELF EMPLOYED HOME COSTS IF NOT THE HOME OWNER 203 2
- online 64-8 authorisation 177 3
- coding underpayments 149 5
- Property issues (tax) 219 4
- Small private limited company 125 2
- Snotty HMRC letter - result 558 6
- RTI 433 18
- Directors undrawn salary 593 22
- Rant (unrelated to accountancy) 936 29
- Sole trader renting property from self and co owner 270 1
- RTI notices 305 8
- Mileage allowance 1,061 7
- confusion about 286
- Competition time! 247
- Alternate 212
- hp versus contract hire versus lease purchase with balloon 209
- Tax treatment of lost partnership capital 184
- Recommend commission tracking software? 169
- VAT on advisory fuel rates 151
- Capital allowance claim 144
- Claiming Employment Expenses 143
- Partial exemption using standard method produced unfair result 134