Accountant gone AWOL
One of my recent client is having real problems getting hold of his previous accountant to get all his paperwork back.
The clients total VAT reclaim on his purchases was disallowed since he did not produce evidence of purchase invoice for a van.
The client has tried contacting the accountant several times. The client knows that the accountant is abroad doing some charity work. He does not know when the accountant will be back. It has now been a two months.
I wrote to HMRC explaning the situation. No response on this.
HMRC are chasing (debt collectors) the client for the full VAT on his sales without deduction for purchases. He explained the situation to them. They just advised him to change accountants.
What can be done
- Get HMRC off the client's back for a month or so?
- If clients is not able to get the documentation from the previous accountant on time.
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,433 37
- PITA client 164 3
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 341 9
- What are options for non CA firm 2,605 56
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,296 33
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 726 15
- Dividend dates 470 8
- R&D tax credit claim 201 5
- CIS Deductions 266 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 87 1
- is this fraud? 765 13
- Married woman dies owning marital home 479 5
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,508 28
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 208 5
- Not a good start no broadband 479 10
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 170 2
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 216 2
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 88 1
- Intrastat triangulation 74 1
- CGT 152 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 595
- Cancelled 344
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 330
- Cancelled 281
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 252
- Probiz 239
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 180
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 174
- Car leasing scheme 171
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 151