Accountant gone AWOL
One of my recent client is having real problems getting hold of his previous accountant to get all his paperwork back.
The clients total VAT reclaim on his purchases was disallowed since he did not produce evidence of purchase invoice for a van.
The client has tried contacting the accountant several times. The client knows that the accountant is abroad doing some charity work. He does not know when the accountant will be back. It has now been a two months.
I wrote to HMRC explaning the situation. No response on this.
HMRC are chasing (debt collectors) the client for the full VAT on his sales without deduction for purchases. He explained the situation to them. They just advised him to change accountants.
What can be done
- Get HMRC off the client's back for a month or so?
- If clients is not able to get the documentation from the previous accountant on time.
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 63 6
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,342 38
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 53 1
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 325 7
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 251 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 254 1
- OneNote is fantastic 228 7
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 664 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,111 21
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 82 1
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 339 5
- PPR on a development? 231 4
- PAYE – Directors NI 359 7
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 905 19
- Private Residence Relief 1,796 15
- Cloud accounting package 201 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 1,027 39
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 519 15
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 206 3
- Next Move 422 12
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 637
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 397
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- Property letting & CAs 382
- 2015 tax year end 375
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 374
- FCA regulated company in a small group 336
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 229
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 226
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 207