A large proportion of my clients use sage instant and line 50 for their record keeping. Most use staff or family who never had any formal bookkeeping tuition. Virtually all have been given the task of keeping the business books with only the demo package as a guide and the help menu.
This has inevitably led to considerable failings in keeping proper records such as:
1. No bank reconciliation or keeping the print outs at period ends.
2. Posting of journals through the sales and purchase ledgers leading to TB balance not agreeing to balances list.
3. Miss understanding of the difference between the nominal ledger accounts e.g. Motor vehicle Fixed Asset and Running Costs
4. Incorrectly printing Creditor and Debtor reports with the wrong settings e.g. exclude later payments.
5. Developing large suspense accounts .
6. Incorrectly posting the wages.
The result of the above is that client pays more fees to correct these errors rather than the accountant spending time and offer higher value of service on tax planning etc. Which in the longer run will increase the fee income and the client feels he is getting better value for money.
I wondered if there are other accountants have similar experiences and that more client
Software usage instruction and training should be encouraged.
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 142 1
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 221 9
- How to Value a Business 478 9
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 137 5
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 546 13
- How much did you pay for your website 487 13
- Companies House 146 2
- HMRC repayment issued, how long till it hits account? 117 1
- Sage Payroll & NIC 384 7
- Company Pension Contributions 263 6
- Gross Profit Percentage 224 4
- Expenses allowable 173 3
- Let Property Campaign 390 6
- Is there anything I should know about Northern Irish companies? 138 1
- Self employment trap - pension 349 3
- Awkward IP 616 9
- ESC A19 131 2
- When does my Property business start 271 4
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,540 43
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 871 19
- CTA study material 603
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 593
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 368
- Employment related securities question 227
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 200
- ATED Penalties 196
- AIM Stocks and IHT 177
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 137
- Expat pension contributions? 129
- Trust for Employee 126