A large proportion of my clients use sage instant and line 50 for their record keeping. Most use staff or family who never had any formal bookkeeping tuition. Virtually all have been given the task of keeping the business books with only the demo package as a guide and the help menu.
This has inevitably led to considerable failings in keeping proper records such as:
1. No bank reconciliation or keeping the print outs at period ends.
2. Posting of journals through the sales and purchase ledgers leading to TB balance not agreeing to balances list.
3. Miss understanding of the difference between the nominal ledger accounts e.g. Motor vehicle Fixed Asset and Running Costs
4. Incorrectly printing Creditor and Debtor reports with the wrong settings e.g. exclude later payments.
5. Developing large suspense accounts .
6. Incorrectly posting the wages.
The result of the above is that client pays more fees to correct these errors rather than the accountant spending time and offer higher value of service on tax planning etc. Which in the longer run will increase the fee income and the client feels he is getting better value for money.
I wondered if there are other accountants have similar experiences and that more client
Software usage instruction and training should be encouraged.
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 88 5
- Audit 223 6
- Awkward IP 1,283 13
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 584 18
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 732 22
- Do I need to pay my accountant 947 11
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,105 12
- LLP members transfer to limited companies. 117 1
- carry back of gift aid 185 3
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 303 8
- What's in a name ? 1,022 8
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 899 10
- Negligible value - JJB Sports 229 1
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 563 11
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 240 3
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 412 6
- Potentially dodgy client 458 3
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 569 28
- Entrepeneurs relief 475 18
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 408 9
- CTA study material 787
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 485
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 431
- Employment related securities question 313
- AIM Stocks and IHT 293
- Expat pension contributions? 270
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 265
- Trust for Employee 249
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 204
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 154