A large proportion of my clients use sage instant and line 50 for their record keeping. Most use staff or family who never had any formal bookkeeping tuition. Virtually all have been given the task of keeping the business books with only the demo package as a guide and the help menu.
This has inevitably led to considerable failings in keeping proper records such as:
1. No bank reconciliation or keeping the print outs at period ends.
2. Posting of journals through the sales and purchase ledgers leading to TB balance not agreeing to balances list.
3. Miss understanding of the difference between the nominal ledger accounts e.g. Motor vehicle Fixed Asset and Running Costs
4. Incorrectly printing Creditor and Debtor reports with the wrong settings e.g. exclude later payments.
5. Developing large suspense accounts .
6. Incorrectly posting the wages.
The result of the above is that client pays more fees to correct these errors rather than the accountant spending time and offer higher value of service on tax planning etc. Which in the longer run will increase the fee income and the client feels he is getting better value for money.
I wondered if there are other accountants have similar experiences and that more client
Software usage instruction and training should be encouraged.
- CIS Deductions 261 7
- sole trader to ltd company 89 2
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 124 3
- Rogue Accountant 1,077 33
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 1,111 35
- Spousal transfer and PPR 305 10
- Personal bank account in limited company 233 7
- Dual taxation - usa 185 2
- My house has fallen down 457 13
- CGT on residential property for a non resident and PPR relief 101 1
- Timing of LTD CIS rebates 281 10
- Quickbooks Desktop - 14/15 Employment Allowance 254 7
- Inheritance Tax Advice 102 1
- Directors Salary and Directors Loan Account and RTI 112 1
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 557 8
- Getting fees, getting harder? 945 22
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 287 4
- What are the tax implications of bringing funds into the UK from abroad? 206 2
- Property sale split between years 159 5
- VAT charge on e-service supply 97 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 640
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 405
- Pensions Regulator 379
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 324
- RTI - duplicate employee record 323
- Using the correct forms 299
- SA penalty proposals 296
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 278
- Digital marketing focus group 197
- Sage Vat return box 2 187