A large proportion of my clients use sage instant and line 50 for their record keeping. Most use staff or family who never had any formal bookkeeping tuition. Virtually all have been given the task of keeping the business books with only the demo package as a guide and the help menu.
This has inevitably led to considerable failings in keeping proper records such as:
1. No bank reconciliation or keeping the print outs at period ends.
2. Posting of journals through the sales and purchase ledgers leading to TB balance not agreeing to balances list.
3. Miss understanding of the difference between the nominal ledger accounts e.g. Motor vehicle Fixed Asset and Running Costs
4. Incorrectly printing Creditor and Debtor reports with the wrong settings e.g. exclude later payments.
5. Developing large suspense accounts .
6. Incorrectly posting the wages.
The result of the above is that client pays more fees to correct these errors rather than the accountant spending time and offer higher value of service on tax planning etc. Which in the longer run will increase the fee income and the client feels he is getting better value for money.
I wondered if there are other accountants have similar experiences and that more client
Software usage instruction and training should be encouraged.
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,719 397
- Letting relief 54 2
- Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) 406 22
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 14 1
- Benefits in Kind 88 4
- Time limit 158 3
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 620 11
- What is the role of an accountant? 684 18
- Is it possible to set a company year end to be the last day of February every year, regardless of whether it is a leap year or not? 137 5
- Profitable company wanting to buy an office 371 9
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 232 7
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 305 5
- What should I do for 'free' 808 9
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 144 3
- Out of Date Returns, CIS and Determination 157 4
- VAT registration for self employed dentist??? 450 14
- Late filing penalty for personal tax return. Reasonable excuse 512 12
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 131 2
- EOQ Formula 76 1
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,362 26
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,231
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 437
- National Insurance 337
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 331
- Non Resident 259
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 256
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 255
- Franchise income and costs 222
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 163
- Hands on experience of Digita 159