A large proportion of my clients use sage instant and line 50 for their record keeping. Most use staff or family who never had any formal bookkeeping tuition. Virtually all have been given the task of keeping the business books with only the demo package as a guide and the help menu.
This has inevitably led to considerable failings in keeping proper records such as:
1. No bank reconciliation or keeping the print outs at period ends.
2. Posting of journals through the sales and purchase ledgers leading to TB balance not agreeing to balances list.
3. Miss understanding of the difference between the nominal ledger accounts e.g. Motor vehicle Fixed Asset and Running Costs
4. Incorrectly printing Creditor and Debtor reports with the wrong settings e.g. exclude later payments.
5. Developing large suspense accounts .
6. Incorrectly posting the wages.
The result of the above is that client pays more fees to correct these errors rather than the accountant spending time and offer higher value of service on tax planning etc. Which in the longer run will increase the fee income and the client feels he is getting better value for money.
I wondered if there are other accountants have similar experiences and that more client
Software usage instruction and training should be encouraged.
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 391 9
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 372 8
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,451 42
- Company formation and bank account 101 4
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 144 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 376 8
- OneNote is fantastic 407 11
- VAT Direct Debit 329 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 405 8
- Self Assessment Software 663 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 421 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,333 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 196 11
- Owning overseas property 194 1
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 304 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 270 1
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 677 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,137 21
- PPR on a development? 236 4
- PAYE – Directors NI 408 7
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 644
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 398
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- Property letting & CAs 384
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 378
- 2015 tax year end 378
- FCA regulated company in a small group 337
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 236
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 232
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 229