A large proportion of my clients use sage instant and line 50 for their record keeping. Most use staff or family who never had any formal bookkeeping tuition. Virtually all have been given the task of keeping the business books with only the demo package as a guide and the help menu.
This has inevitably led to considerable failings in keeping proper records such as:
1. No bank reconciliation or keeping the print outs at period ends.
2. Posting of journals through the sales and purchase ledgers leading to TB balance not agreeing to balances list.
3. Miss understanding of the difference between the nominal ledger accounts e.g. Motor vehicle Fixed Asset and Running Costs
4. Incorrectly printing Creditor and Debtor reports with the wrong settings e.g. exclude later payments.
5. Developing large suspense accounts .
6. Incorrectly posting the wages.
The result of the above is that client pays more fees to correct these errors rather than the accountant spending time and offer higher value of service on tax planning etc. Which in the longer run will increase the fee income and the client feels he is getting better value for money.
I wondered if there are other accountants have similar experiences and that more client
Software usage instruction and training should be encouraged.
- Seeking advice: Director's claim to money 142 4
- Jobs after completing ACCA 98 2
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 571 11
- are these allowable deductions? 93 1
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 1,640 20
- Laptop help needed I bought the wrong operating system 557 12
- HMRC AND BAD ORGANIZATION 65 1
- Option To Tax - VAT on residential sales? 57 1
- Companies Made Simple - I guess they don't want our business any more 403 6
- SEIS: is it ok for co to spend money before the shares are issued? 129 3
- Can Guernsey company have same name as mine 414 7
- Schedule A losses 148 1
- Identify cost savings 168 3
- Member meet up 1 October in London 298 7
- Only pref shares. Does it matter 185 5
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 828 1
- Fees 782 8
- P11D & tax return 282 10
- Freelance/Employee 921 22
- VAT on children's clothing 183 4
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 438
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 391
- Electric Car 332
- S222 Charge 269
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 240
- AIA 212
- IP trans to holding company 209
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 203
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 170
- Career advice needed regarding accouting systems analysis 157