A large proportion of my clients use sage instant and line 50 for their record keeping. Most use staff or family who never had any formal bookkeeping tuition. Virtually all have been given the task of keeping the business books with only the demo package as a guide and the help menu.
This has inevitably led to considerable failings in keeping proper records such as:
1. No bank reconciliation or keeping the print outs at period ends.
2. Posting of journals through the sales and purchase ledgers leading to TB balance not agreeing to balances list.
3. Miss understanding of the difference between the nominal ledger accounts e.g. Motor vehicle Fixed Asset and Running Costs
4. Incorrectly printing Creditor and Debtor reports with the wrong settings e.g. exclude later payments.
5. Developing large suspense accounts .
6. Incorrectly posting the wages.
The result of the above is that client pays more fees to correct these errors rather than the accountant spending time and offer higher value of service on tax planning etc. Which in the longer run will increase the fee income and the client feels he is getting better value for money.
I wondered if there are other accountants have similar experiences and that more client
Software usage instruction and training should be encouraged.
- cost of moving out for a few weeks 71 3
- OBK 382 16
- Flat Rate Scheme - Joining date 58 1
- Auto-Enrolment 3,640 175
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,721 26
- Sage error message 128 2
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 68 1
- Partially exempt? 142 5
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 464 5
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 134 3
- Mileage claim 212 9
- Proof of Delivery 227 8
- What is 'an asset' for A/A+B CGT? 87 4
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 521 1
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 335 8
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 228 9
- Property expense - legal fees 153 3
- Research expenses for authors 277 6
- Investor exit 83 1
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 132 3
- Skandia using wrong address 460
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 268
- Employee rewards 247
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 246
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 215
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 205
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 200
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 187
- Etax Australian 160
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 148