A large proportion of my clients use sage instant and line 50 for their record keeping. Most use staff or family who never had any formal bookkeeping tuition. Virtually all have been given the task of keeping the business books with only the demo package as a guide and the help menu.
This has inevitably led to considerable failings in keeping proper records such as:
1. No bank reconciliation or keeping the print outs at period ends.
2. Posting of journals through the sales and purchase ledgers leading to TB balance not agreeing to balances list.
3. Miss understanding of the difference between the nominal ledger accounts e.g. Motor vehicle Fixed Asset and Running Costs
4. Incorrectly printing Creditor and Debtor reports with the wrong settings e.g. exclude later payments.
5. Developing large suspense accounts .
6. Incorrectly posting the wages.
The result of the above is that client pays more fees to correct these errors rather than the accountant spending time and offer higher value of service on tax planning etc. Which in the longer run will increase the fee income and the client feels he is getting better value for money.
I wondered if there are other accountants have similar experiences and that more client
Software usage instruction and training should be encouraged.
- Reversing out RTI 83 5
- IHT Query 40 1
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 291 9
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 834 22
- Gift or Capital Gain? 288 8
- Capital Gain? 396 10
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 266 6
- BrightPay 606 18
- Classic cars investment 235 7
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 203 3
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 317 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 321 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 265 9
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 255 2
- H&W company 214 3
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 183 3
- tax teatment of index linked mortgage repayment 168 2
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 158 1
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 801 32
- VAT silly question 2,405 56
- Benchmarking 490
- Possible Partnership? 433
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 410
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 409
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 352
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 208
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 206
- Clubs and Taxable Income 198
- Income tax on foreign dividends 191
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 184