A large proportion of my clients use sage instant and line 50 for their record keeping. Most use staff or family who never had any formal bookkeeping tuition. Virtually all have been given the task of keeping the business books with only the demo package as a guide and the help menu.
This has inevitably led to considerable failings in keeping proper records such as:
1. No bank reconciliation or keeping the print outs at period ends.
2. Posting of journals through the sales and purchase ledgers leading to TB balance not agreeing to balances list.
3. Miss understanding of the difference between the nominal ledger accounts e.g. Motor vehicle Fixed Asset and Running Costs
4. Incorrectly printing Creditor and Debtor reports with the wrong settings e.g. exclude later payments.
5. Developing large suspense accounts .
6. Incorrectly posting the wages.
The result of the above is that client pays more fees to correct these errors rather than the accountant spending time and offer higher value of service on tax planning etc. Which in the longer run will increase the fee income and the client feels he is getting better value for money.
I wondered if there are other accountants have similar experiences and that more client
Software usage instruction and training should be encouraged.
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 632 15
- RBS asking client to switch accountant 342 4
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 294 13
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,887 63
- Rights of Alphabet shares 330 13
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 237 3
- Company paying out on guarantee 102 4
- Incorporation and goodwill 278 5
- Industrial & Provident Societies 397 4
- Domain name sale and limited company 270 1
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 271 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 1,806 14
- Payroll Software Recommendations 266 8
- indexation factors 111 3
- Drector renting room to company 239 5
- Warranties - Fixed Assets - depreciation 95 2
- Property Revaluation - Postings 111 2
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 454 10
- It gets worse ! 261 1
- R&D claim 97 3
- Xtuple 583
- Qtac payroll for bureau 409
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 353
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 224
- Tax on damages received 205
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 164
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 164
- Is an apprenticship classed as another job for PAYE RTI rules 149
- PTP Software 142
- Accounting for commercial lease with break clause 141