A large proportion of my clients use sage instant and line 50 for their record keeping. Most use staff or family who never had any formal bookkeeping tuition. Virtually all have been given the task of keeping the business books with only the demo package as a guide and the help menu.
This has inevitably led to considerable failings in keeping proper records such as:
1. No bank reconciliation or keeping the print outs at period ends.
2. Posting of journals through the sales and purchase ledgers leading to TB balance not agreeing to balances list.
3. Miss understanding of the difference between the nominal ledger accounts e.g. Motor vehicle Fixed Asset and Running Costs
4. Incorrectly printing Creditor and Debtor reports with the wrong settings e.g. exclude later payments.
5. Developing large suspense accounts .
6. Incorrectly posting the wages.
The result of the above is that client pays more fees to correct these errors rather than the accountant spending time and offer higher value of service on tax planning etc. Which in the longer run will increase the fee income and the client feels he is getting better value for money.
I wondered if there are other accountants have similar experiences and that more client
Software usage instruction and training should be encouraged.
- Goods Purchased for Rental 644 32
- More HMRC on gov.uk 427 9
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 943 28
- VAT on finance leases 75 1
- Friendly Pensions 199 1
- Online Timesheet Facility 57 1
- Problem ex client...again.. 1,601 15
- Company Reorganisation 295 4
- CONVERSAION OF DIRECTOR LOAN INTO EQUITY 163 5
- CGT on second home? 248 4
- Interflora florist 184 2
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 217 8
- Double tax agreement - do you show income on UK return even if the DTA says it is taxed in the other country? 141 2
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 384 10
- Audit procedures on a dormant company 247 3
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 379 5
- Completing RP1 form in re Redundancy /Insolvency 248 8
- VAT in Sage 176 3
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 497 10
- Expense receipt from previous quarter not included in VAT return 288 4
- NOVA 495
- Bonus Bonds 384
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 365
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 280
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 246
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 168
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 155
- Finance Lease 147
- Company Car Lease 146
- Form 42 133