A large proportion of my clients use sage instant and line 50 for their record keeping. Most use staff or family who never had any formal bookkeeping tuition. Virtually all have been given the task of keeping the business books with only the demo package as a guide and the help menu.
This has inevitably led to considerable failings in keeping proper records such as:
1. No bank reconciliation or keeping the print outs at period ends.
2. Posting of journals through the sales and purchase ledgers leading to TB balance not agreeing to balances list.
3. Miss understanding of the difference between the nominal ledger accounts e.g. Motor vehicle Fixed Asset and Running Costs
4. Incorrectly printing Creditor and Debtor reports with the wrong settings e.g. exclude later payments.
5. Developing large suspense accounts .
6. Incorrectly posting the wages.
The result of the above is that client pays more fees to correct these errors rather than the accountant spending time and offer higher value of service on tax planning etc. Which in the longer run will increase the fee income and the client feels he is getting better value for money.
I wondered if there are other accountants have similar experiences and that more client
Software usage instruction and training should be encouraged.
- Any point writing to HMRC to appeal against self assessment penalties ? 253 10
- Real names 676 24
- Consolidating the P+L for an overseas subsidiary 69 4
- Clarification over - VAT Box 8 - Flat rate scheme 205 7
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 62 1
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 318 1
- Capital Gains Tax 204 6
- Fixed Assets 42 1
- Well well well 435 6
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 164 3
- Dividend payment date 1,958 35
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 181 6
- Preference shares redeemed at less than par 175 11
- Errors in prior year accounts 216 5
- Director salary from company limited by guarantee 215 7
- PDF to QIF (or other)? 502 13
- Company Secretarial Software 1,315 28
- LLP and LTD Co 109 3
- Dissolution of a LLP with ongoing HMRC Inquiry 118 1
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 305 9
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 571
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 439
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 341
- IFA incorporation 321
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 303
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 258
- Sorry ignore me 250
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 246
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 242
- Cancelled 180