A large proportion of my clients use sage instant and line 50 for their record keeping. Most use staff or family who never had any formal bookkeeping tuition. Virtually all have been given the task of keeping the business books with only the demo package as a guide and the help menu.
This has inevitably led to considerable failings in keeping proper records such as:
1. No bank reconciliation or keeping the print outs at period ends.
2. Posting of journals through the sales and purchase ledgers leading to TB balance not agreeing to balances list.
3. Miss understanding of the difference between the nominal ledger accounts e.g. Motor vehicle Fixed Asset and Running Costs
4. Incorrectly printing Creditor and Debtor reports with the wrong settings e.g. exclude later payments.
5. Developing large suspense accounts .
6. Incorrectly posting the wages.
The result of the above is that client pays more fees to correct these errors rather than the accountant spending time and offer higher value of service on tax planning etc. Which in the longer run will increase the fee income and the client feels he is getting better value for money.
I wondered if there are other accountants have similar experiences and that more client
Software usage instruction and training should be encouraged.
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,348 55
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,695 29
- VAT online filing exemptions 83 1
- Sole-trader renting commmercial property from himself & spouse. 280 6
- Child tax credits 203 4
- transitioning payroll 102 2
- Deduction from Salary 132 4
- Car leasing scheme 215 1
- One off meeting new client 1,366 12
- 12 Pay Problems 168 2
- PITA client 549 8
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 461 11
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 595 15
- Right to waive dividend 134 2
- Employed (by own company) and Self Employed - Tax Efficiency 128 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,437 34
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,749 29
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 137 2
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 351 9
- R&D tax credit claim 298 7
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 615
- Cancelled 358
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 340
- Cancelled 301
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 272
- Probiz 261
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 225
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 212
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 196
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 162