Advice re: the CTA
I've just finished (and hopefully passed) my ATT exams and am eyeing up the CTA now cautiously due to the horror stories people tell me about how hard it is.
Basically I've just had a glance at a paper and was suprised how I could see how to answer most of the questions even now (ie before I even looked at a CTA text book). So is the CTA similar to the ATT in question complexity (obviously more the upper end) but you have to really get the points to get marks (as in, if stating an item was ignored for IHT due to it being outside the UK would get you 2 marks in the ATT, the CTA would give you most of the first mark)?
I'm also a full member of the ACCA and was hoping the finals of that would be of comparable difficulty to the CTA, but I'm told it is much harder. Is that just the person I spoke to trying to big up the CTA or is there really such a leap from ACCA finals to CTA? I was told the ACCA was comparable to a Masters, what does that make the CTA?!?
Lastly now that you can do them in bits, what would you say is the manageable happy medium? Is it two exams every 6 months, one every 6 months? I have now till December free, then can't do anything till after June 2010 (my wedding, surely once I get through that the CTA will be a doddle!), then the rest of my life free (until the patter of tiny feet), so logically 2 in December and 2 in December seems best, but if I fail in December 2009 it will be a year till the resits.
Any and all advice gratefully receieved!
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 143 6
- Business Christmas Greetings 696 16
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 337 10
- Ltd co client preparing own self assessment tax returns 228 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 619 9
- Dispensation pointless ? 404 9
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 439 10
- Is anyone a member of National Accountancy Network? 289 6
- Running Cost of Private Car more than 45p per mile?? 261 7
- r&d payable tax credits 56 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 409 3
- CIS gross status review 179 2
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 200 4
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 138 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,130 26
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 376 10
- Claiming pension relief 76 1
- Tax on Bitcoin gains in hands of individual 254 3
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 212 7
- Write off of former director's loan 402 8
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 789
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 494
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 306
- How to format a stock book 274
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 223
- Tax efficient holding company structure 214
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 203
- Investment property company accounts template 195
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 178
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 169