Advice re: the CTA
I've just finished (and hopefully passed) my ATT exams and am eyeing up the CTA now cautiously due to the horror stories people tell me about how hard it is.
Basically I've just had a glance at a paper and was suprised how I could see how to answer most of the questions even now (ie before I even looked at a CTA text book). So is the CTA similar to the ATT in question complexity (obviously more the upper end) but you have to really get the points to get marks (as in, if stating an item was ignored for IHT due to it being outside the UK would get you 2 marks in the ATT, the CTA would give you most of the first mark)?
I'm also a full member of the ACCA and was hoping the finals of that would be of comparable difficulty to the CTA, but I'm told it is much harder. Is that just the person I spoke to trying to big up the CTA or is there really such a leap from ACCA finals to CTA? I was told the ACCA was comparable to a Masters, what does that make the CTA?!?
Lastly now that you can do them in bits, what would you say is the manageable happy medium? Is it two exams every 6 months, one every 6 months? I have now till December free, then can't do anything till after June 2010 (my wedding, surely once I get through that the CTA will be a doddle!), then the rest of my life free (until the patter of tiny feet), so logically 2 in December and 2 in December seems best, but if I fail in December 2009 it will be a year till the resits.
Any and all advice gratefully receieved!
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,451 21
- Cocaine anyone? 37 1
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 789 25
- ACCA - still making me laugh 415 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 233 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 298 11
- Tax return software for remote working 454 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 486 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 409 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 438 9
- How to purchase business premises? 125 2
- Will I need to resign? 795 10
- Childcare vouchers 138 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 266 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 294 6
- VAT avoidance? 211 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 175 3
- PAYE coding out 166 3
- Follower cases 572 2
- LIVE chat, starting now 450 2
- Hive up 467
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 434
- corporate hierarchy 413
- Advice - 241
- Amortisation of Goodwill 211
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 199
- WWOOFers 196
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 175
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 173
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 168