Advice re: the CTA
I've just finished (and hopefully passed) my ATT exams and am eyeing up the CTA now cautiously due to the horror stories people tell me about how hard it is.
Basically I've just had a glance at a paper and was suprised how I could see how to answer most of the questions even now (ie before I even looked at a CTA text book). So is the CTA similar to the ATT in question complexity (obviously more the upper end) but you have to really get the points to get marks (as in, if stating an item was ignored for IHT due to it being outside the UK would get you 2 marks in the ATT, the CTA would give you most of the first mark)?
I'm also a full member of the ACCA and was hoping the finals of that would be of comparable difficulty to the CTA, but I'm told it is much harder. Is that just the person I spoke to trying to big up the CTA or is there really such a leap from ACCA finals to CTA? I was told the ACCA was comparable to a Masters, what does that make the CTA?!?
Lastly now that you can do them in bits, what would you say is the manageable happy medium? Is it two exams every 6 months, one every 6 months? I have now till December free, then can't do anything till after June 2010 (my wedding, surely once I get through that the CTA will be a doddle!), then the rest of my life free (until the patter of tiny feet), so logically 2 in December and 2 in December seems best, but if I fail in December 2009 it will be a year till the resits.
Any and all advice gratefully receieved!
- Limited Company expenses 38 1
- UK taxation of income from property in Cyprus 59 1
- Accounting for Film Rights 24 1
- Is an ex-gratia payment to a company taxable 67 3
- Leaving the Flat Rate Scheme 52 2
- Pylon compensation - what am I missing? 115 2
- Claiming VAT without invoice 40 2
- Why .... 234 4
- Sell business after leaving country 433 13
- Tiwan contractor 124 3
- Rental Income 58 2
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 148 2
- Charity accounting 128 4
- Auto enrolement and PAYE 111 1
- VAT - E-commerce site (middle man only) - like Not on the high street 54 1
- Two questions re client meetings and TR Fees 596 10
- Lack of new PAYE Coding Notices issued 298 4
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 209 5
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 425 9
- Lack of Quickbooks Online Coverage 396 7
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 566
- Possible Partnership? 564
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 488
- New Fangled Penalties 366
- Clubs and Taxable Income 301
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 281
- Loans to other companies 226
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 217
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 186
- Outsource Data Entry 183