Advice re: the CTA
I've just finished (and hopefully passed) my ATT exams and am eyeing up the CTA now cautiously due to the horror stories people tell me about how hard it is.
Basically I've just had a glance at a paper and was suprised how I could see how to answer most of the questions even now (ie before I even looked at a CTA text book). So is the CTA similar to the ATT in question complexity (obviously more the upper end) but you have to really get the points to get marks (as in, if stating an item was ignored for IHT due to it being outside the UK would get you 2 marks in the ATT, the CTA would give you most of the first mark)?
I'm also a full member of the ACCA and was hoping the finals of that would be of comparable difficulty to the CTA, but I'm told it is much harder. Is that just the person I spoke to trying to big up the CTA or is there really such a leap from ACCA finals to CTA? I was told the ACCA was comparable to a Masters, what does that make the CTA?!?
Lastly now that you can do them in bits, what would you say is the manageable happy medium? Is it two exams every 6 months, one every 6 months? I have now till December free, then can't do anything till after June 2010 (my wedding, surely once I get through that the CTA will be a doddle!), then the rest of my life free (until the patter of tiny feet), so logically 2 in December and 2 in December seems best, but if I fail in December 2009 it will be a year till the resits.
Any and all advice gratefully receieved!
- Is paying for hotel for employee to work at office taxable? 109 2
- Getting hassle from client 64 2
- RTI - are HMRC picking any numbers? 315 3
- Corporation tax on gains from one company to another 293 11
- Can anyone recommend a fax send/receive service which I can use via email? 240 7
- Rowing Machine - allowable company asset? 110 2
- Entrepreneur's Relief - Disposal over a period of time 191 3
- Late RTI filing re SMP 133 3
- Self Help Accountancy Book for Client 197 3
- VAT registration on digital services supplied outside UK within EU 107 6
- Additional information attached to accounts 215 2
- CIS Software 132 1
- Company assets 373 16
- MoneySoft 196 2
- Best way to advise a limited company client 117 1
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 667 10
- Payroll cessation and missing overtime 149 2
- Self assessment 160 1
- Claiming VAT 158 2
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 1,141 15
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 506
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 483
- Is there anything wrong with this? 282
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 269
- Uncommercial property business 249
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 206
- Registering online CWF1 187
- Zoho software in small accounting and bookkeeping practice 184
- VAT - registration needed? 184
- Accrued income scheme 183