Advice re: the CTA
I've just finished (and hopefully passed) my ATT exams and am eyeing up the CTA now cautiously due to the horror stories people tell me about how hard it is.
Basically I've just had a glance at a paper and was suprised how I could see how to answer most of the questions even now (ie before I even looked at a CTA text book). So is the CTA similar to the ATT in question complexity (obviously more the upper end) but you have to really get the points to get marks (as in, if stating an item was ignored for IHT due to it being outside the UK would get you 2 marks in the ATT, the CTA would give you most of the first mark)?
I'm also a full member of the ACCA and was hoping the finals of that would be of comparable difficulty to the CTA, but I'm told it is much harder. Is that just the person I spoke to trying to big up the CTA or is there really such a leap from ACCA finals to CTA? I was told the ACCA was comparable to a Masters, what does that make the CTA?!?
Lastly now that you can do them in bits, what would you say is the manageable happy medium? Is it two exams every 6 months, one every 6 months? I have now till December free, then can't do anything till after June 2010 (my wedding, surely once I get through that the CTA will be a doddle!), then the rest of my life free (until the patter of tiny feet), so logically 2 in December and 2 in December seems best, but if I fail in December 2009 it will be a year till the resits.
Any and all advice gratefully receieved!
- What is the law regarding selling your Ltd company to another? 55 5
- Employer Allowance & Transfer of Business 21 1
- Summer festivals! 324 13
- Do you need to account for a director loan separate from the current account 162 2
- Do accountants work at home? 774 21
- Can I pay into a pension? 262 8
- The Accountancy Party: What’s in your manifesto? 242 5
- Tax Implications for Selling a Subsidiary 54 2
- SPORTS SUPPLEMENTS 147 4
- Selling a property at a loss. Does HMRC still require a tax return 34 1
- I used to think HMRC contact lines couldnt get any worse................ 417 11
- Merging my businesses 288 4
- Where has Portia gone? 6,443 122
- What are other accountants having for lunch? 881 22
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 255 1
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 1,095 19
- new investor structure 222 1
- Furnished Holiday Lets & VAT 179 7
- Overlap profit 374 8
- VAT on Security Services to Foreign Companies. 109 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 884
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 472
- Sanzar 362
- Digital marketing focus group 319
- Fit for purpose 215
- career 189
- Continuity Agreement 188
- Buyback 179
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 170
- Isle of Man payroll 168