Advice re: the CTA
I've just finished (and hopefully passed) my ATT exams and am eyeing up the CTA now cautiously due to the horror stories people tell me about how hard it is.
Basically I've just had a glance at a paper and was suprised how I could see how to answer most of the questions even now (ie before I even looked at a CTA text book). So is the CTA similar to the ATT in question complexity (obviously more the upper end) but you have to really get the points to get marks (as in, if stating an item was ignored for IHT due to it being outside the UK would get you 2 marks in the ATT, the CTA would give you most of the first mark)?
I'm also a full member of the ACCA and was hoping the finals of that would be of comparable difficulty to the CTA, but I'm told it is much harder. Is that just the person I spoke to trying to big up the CTA or is there really such a leap from ACCA finals to CTA? I was told the ACCA was comparable to a Masters, what does that make the CTA?!?
Lastly now that you can do them in bits, what would you say is the manageable happy medium? Is it two exams every 6 months, one every 6 months? I have now till December free, then can't do anything till after June 2010 (my wedding, surely once I get through that the CTA will be a doddle!), then the rest of my life free (until the patter of tiny feet), so logically 2 in December and 2 in December seems best, but if I fail in December 2009 it will be a year till the resits.
Any and all advice gratefully receieved!
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 97 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 263 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 146 1
- Top slicing relief question 210 2
- Valuation of PET on death 73 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 212 6
- Share swap 275 8
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 63 1
- Online filing 121 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 314 13
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 124 4
- New client, prev accountant disappeared 1,655 25
- EC sales list and reverse charge 89 2
- Converting a barn for business use 76 1
- Was I rude 676 17
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 213 9
- Threshold for RTI submission 100 2
- Joint rental income 105 1
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 316 4
- Money Laundering checks on Charity 133 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,473
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 802
- Any views 723
- International interest certificate 442
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 412
- Sale of business 382
- NOVA 278
- IRIS Open Books problem 277
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 193
- Expenses claim for non employee 181