Advice re: the CTA
I've just finished (and hopefully passed) my ATT exams and am eyeing up the CTA now cautiously due to the horror stories people tell me about how hard it is.
Basically I've just had a glance at a paper and was suprised how I could see how to answer most of the questions even now (ie before I even looked at a CTA text book). So is the CTA similar to the ATT in question complexity (obviously more the upper end) but you have to really get the points to get marks (as in, if stating an item was ignored for IHT due to it being outside the UK would get you 2 marks in the ATT, the CTA would give you most of the first mark)?
I'm also a full member of the ACCA and was hoping the finals of that would be of comparable difficulty to the CTA, but I'm told it is much harder. Is that just the person I spoke to trying to big up the CTA or is there really such a leap from ACCA finals to CTA? I was told the ACCA was comparable to a Masters, what does that make the CTA?!?
Lastly now that you can do them in bits, what would you say is the manageable happy medium? Is it two exams every 6 months, one every 6 months? I have now till December free, then can't do anything till after June 2010 (my wedding, surely once I get through that the CTA will be a doddle!), then the rest of my life free (until the patter of tiny feet), so logically 2 in December and 2 in December seems best, but if I fail in December 2009 it will be a year till the resits.
Any and all advice gratefully receieved!
- Mixture of online and offline SA returns 266 5
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 384 6
- VAT - Medical Staff 162 2
- Vat on construction of residential property 1,115 13
- Really?! 817 10
- CIS 213 5
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,176 16
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,375 26
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 649 15
- VAT 701/49 query 226 2
- backpack 302 3
- Sage Line 50 Data conversion 166 3
- Bookkeeping question for Finance Lease payments 250 3
- Viewing folder contens en masse 350 8
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 198 3
- Tax relief on Enterprise Investment Scheme subscriptions 167 2
- Calculation of 10 year anniversary charge 197 1
- pension contribution annual allowance charge 138 1
- Dominant influence and intercompany loans 256 6
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 468 6
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 705
- 2015 tax year end 440
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 416
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 357
- Costly Accounting Software contract 314
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 255
- Directors' advances and credits 255
- DTA tie-breaker issue 239
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 222
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 203