Advice re: the CTA
I've just finished (and hopefully passed) my ATT exams and am eyeing up the CTA now cautiously due to the horror stories people tell me about how hard it is.
Basically I've just had a glance at a paper and was suprised how I could see how to answer most of the questions even now (ie before I even looked at a CTA text book). So is the CTA similar to the ATT in question complexity (obviously more the upper end) but you have to really get the points to get marks (as in, if stating an item was ignored for IHT due to it being outside the UK would get you 2 marks in the ATT, the CTA would give you most of the first mark)?
I'm also a full member of the ACCA and was hoping the finals of that would be of comparable difficulty to the CTA, but I'm told it is much harder. Is that just the person I spoke to trying to big up the CTA or is there really such a leap from ACCA finals to CTA? I was told the ACCA was comparable to a Masters, what does that make the CTA?!?
Lastly now that you can do them in bits, what would you say is the manageable happy medium? Is it two exams every 6 months, one every 6 months? I have now till December free, then can't do anything till after June 2010 (my wedding, surely once I get through that the CTA will be a doddle!), then the rest of my life free (until the patter of tiny feet), so logically 2 in December and 2 in December seems best, but if I fail in December 2009 it will be a year till the resits.
Any and all advice gratefully receieved!
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 898 41
- Is this fraud? 464 11
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 464 20
- Naming new company 276 5
- Saying goodbye 511 14
- Opening start-up business bank accounts 100 1
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 189 4
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 641 5
- Pension Contributions Relief 392 12
- Furnished lettings criteria 214 2
- Revaluation of investment proeprty 86 1
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 787 7
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,480 31
- Tax on private fuel for own car 218 5
- Sportman claiming for training kit 1,031 11
- Flat rate scheme 228 3
- Drop box Storage 232 3
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 292 13
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,209 413
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 424 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,279
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 456
- National Insurance 353
- Non Resident 270
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 262
- Franchise income and costs 242
- Hands on experience of Digita 205
- Employer's Helpline 151
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 148
- employment capital allowances 140