Advice re: the CTA
I've just finished (and hopefully passed) my ATT exams and am eyeing up the CTA now cautiously due to the horror stories people tell me about how hard it is.
Basically I've just had a glance at a paper and was suprised how I could see how to answer most of the questions even now (ie before I even looked at a CTA text book). So is the CTA similar to the ATT in question complexity (obviously more the upper end) but you have to really get the points to get marks (as in, if stating an item was ignored for IHT due to it being outside the UK would get you 2 marks in the ATT, the CTA would give you most of the first mark)?
I'm also a full member of the ACCA and was hoping the finals of that would be of comparable difficulty to the CTA, but I'm told it is much harder. Is that just the person I spoke to trying to big up the CTA or is there really such a leap from ACCA finals to CTA? I was told the ACCA was comparable to a Masters, what does that make the CTA?!?
Lastly now that you can do them in bits, what would you say is the manageable happy medium? Is it two exams every 6 months, one every 6 months? I have now till December free, then can't do anything till after June 2010 (my wedding, surely once I get through that the CTA will be a doddle!), then the rest of my life free (until the patter of tiny feet), so logically 2 in December and 2 in December seems best, but if I fail in December 2009 it will be a year till the resits.
Any and all advice gratefully receieved!
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 49 2
- Disengagement Help! 1,626 25
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 514 11
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 920 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 137 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 184 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 572 18
- Corrupt Excel File 664 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 332 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,954 43
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,163 39
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 280 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 364 7
- Personal Tax 406 10
- Xerocon 2016 930 18
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 125 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 225 4
- last minute request 453 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,236 46
- Practical experience 893 16