Advice re: the CTA
I've just finished (and hopefully passed) my ATT exams and am eyeing up the CTA now cautiously due to the horror stories people tell me about how hard it is.
Basically I've just had a glance at a paper and was suprised how I could see how to answer most of the questions even now (ie before I even looked at a CTA text book). So is the CTA similar to the ATT in question complexity (obviously more the upper end) but you have to really get the points to get marks (as in, if stating an item was ignored for IHT due to it being outside the UK would get you 2 marks in the ATT, the CTA would give you most of the first mark)?
I'm also a full member of the ACCA and was hoping the finals of that would be of comparable difficulty to the CTA, but I'm told it is much harder. Is that just the person I spoke to trying to big up the CTA or is there really such a leap from ACCA finals to CTA? I was told the ACCA was comparable to a Masters, what does that make the CTA?!?
Lastly now that you can do them in bits, what would you say is the manageable happy medium? Is it two exams every 6 months, one every 6 months? I have now till December free, then can't do anything till after June 2010 (my wedding, surely once I get through that the CTA will be a doddle!), then the rest of my life free (until the patter of tiny feet), so logically 2 in December and 2 in December seems best, but if I fail in December 2009 it will be a year till the resits.
Any and all advice gratefully receieved!
- Should replies on AWEB show details of the qualifications 166 9
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 415 6
- Personal allowance 637 14
- New Fangled Penalties 1,101 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 125 1
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 90 1
- What do you all do in your spare time? 724 30
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 804 9
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 271 3
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 374 10
- VAT on employee loan 291 5
- Taking over from an on-line accounting firm. Any ideas? 949 18
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 143 2
- Accountants website 385 5
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 170 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 469 8
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 101 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 119 1
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,411 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 224 5
- Moving away from CCH software 939
- QROP pension input amounts 431
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 375
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 346
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 313
- fraud 272
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 243
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 215
- Construction CIS LLP Company 195
- EPS and CIS deductions 188