Advice re: the CTA
I've just finished (and hopefully passed) my ATT exams and am eyeing up the CTA now cautiously due to the horror stories people tell me about how hard it is.
Basically I've just had a glance at a paper and was suprised how I could see how to answer most of the questions even now (ie before I even looked at a CTA text book). So is the CTA similar to the ATT in question complexity (obviously more the upper end) but you have to really get the points to get marks (as in, if stating an item was ignored for IHT due to it being outside the UK would get you 2 marks in the ATT, the CTA would give you most of the first mark)?
I'm also a full member of the ACCA and was hoping the finals of that would be of comparable difficulty to the CTA, but I'm told it is much harder. Is that just the person I spoke to trying to big up the CTA or is there really such a leap from ACCA finals to CTA? I was told the ACCA was comparable to a Masters, what does that make the CTA?!?
Lastly now that you can do them in bits, what would you say is the manageable happy medium? Is it two exams every 6 months, one every 6 months? I have now till December free, then can't do anything till after June 2010 (my wedding, surely once I get through that the CTA will be a doddle!), then the rest of my life free (until the patter of tiny feet), so logically 2 in December and 2 in December seems best, but if I fail in December 2009 it will be a year till the resits.
Any and all advice gratefully receieved!
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 854 32
- Use of home deduction 502 15
- Copy Wanted 670 3
- Tax Relief on Bridging Loan 35 1
- Non resident income. 239 12
- Company dividends 393 12
- Self Assessment University Superannuation Scheme 62 1
- 11pm and having a blonde moment 93 2
- Losses B/F and Class 4 NIC 182 2
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 532 21
- Software 333 8
- Tax return filed on time but payment late 403 6
- SA late payment penalty 186 3
- Death of taxpayer - personal allowance 297 8
- No codes in Sage 50 Nominal List? 113 1
- Might income tax be payable on these gifts? 111 2
- How Long does it take to get an Agent ID 123 2
- Private Residence Relief after gift 133 3
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,422 81
- Buy to let property : Is parking bay tax deductible ? 268 5
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 855
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 549
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 514
- Latest phishing scam 406
- Entrepreneurs' relief 375
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 336
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 319
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 302
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 214
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 190