Advice re: the CTA
I've just finished (and hopefully passed) my ATT exams and am eyeing up the CTA now cautiously due to the horror stories people tell me about how hard it is.
Basically I've just had a glance at a paper and was suprised how I could see how to answer most of the questions even now (ie before I even looked at a CTA text book). So is the CTA similar to the ATT in question complexity (obviously more the upper end) but you have to really get the points to get marks (as in, if stating an item was ignored for IHT due to it being outside the UK would get you 2 marks in the ATT, the CTA would give you most of the first mark)?
I'm also a full member of the ACCA and was hoping the finals of that would be of comparable difficulty to the CTA, but I'm told it is much harder. Is that just the person I spoke to trying to big up the CTA or is there really such a leap from ACCA finals to CTA? I was told the ACCA was comparable to a Masters, what does that make the CTA?!?
Lastly now that you can do them in bits, what would you say is the manageable happy medium? Is it two exams every 6 months, one every 6 months? I have now till December free, then can't do anything till after June 2010 (my wedding, surely once I get through that the CTA will be a doddle!), then the rest of my life free (until the patter of tiny feet), so logically 2 in December and 2 in December seems best, but if I fail in December 2009 it will be a year till the resits.
Any and all advice gratefully receieved!
- sole trader to ltd company 50 2
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 108 3
- Rogue Accountant 1,063 33
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 1,104 35
- Spousal transfer and PPR 297 10
- Personal bank account in limited company 223 7
- Dual taxation - usa 184 2
- My house has fallen down 441 13
- CGT on residential property for a non resident and PPR relief 89 1
- Timing of LTD CIS rebates 277 10
- Quickbooks Desktop - 14/15 Employment Allowance 249 7
- Inheritance Tax Advice 86 1
- Directors Salary and Directors Loan Account and RTI 105 1
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 546 8
- Getting fees, getting harder? 939 22
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 283 4
- What are the tax implications of bringing funds into the UK from abroad? 201 2
- Property sale split between years 154 5
- VAT charge on e-service supply 92 3
- VATMOSS filing 165 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 638
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 404
- Pensions Regulator 378
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 321
- RTI - duplicate employee record 319
- Using the correct forms 297
- SA penalty proposals 295
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 274
- Digital marketing focus group 196
- Sage Vat return box 2 185