Advice re: the CTA
I've just finished (and hopefully passed) my ATT exams and am eyeing up the CTA now cautiously due to the horror stories people tell me about how hard it is.
Basically I've just had a glance at a paper and was suprised how I could see how to answer most of the questions even now (ie before I even looked at a CTA text book). So is the CTA similar to the ATT in question complexity (obviously more the upper end) but you have to really get the points to get marks (as in, if stating an item was ignored for IHT due to it being outside the UK would get you 2 marks in the ATT, the CTA would give you most of the first mark)?
I'm also a full member of the ACCA and was hoping the finals of that would be of comparable difficulty to the CTA, but I'm told it is much harder. Is that just the person I spoke to trying to big up the CTA or is there really such a leap from ACCA finals to CTA? I was told the ACCA was comparable to a Masters, what does that make the CTA?!?
Lastly now that you can do them in bits, what would you say is the manageable happy medium? Is it two exams every 6 months, one every 6 months? I have now till December free, then can't do anything till after June 2010 (my wedding, surely once I get through that the CTA will be a doddle!), then the rest of my life free (until the patter of tiny feet), so logically 2 in December and 2 in December seems best, but if I fail in December 2009 it will be a year till the resits.
Any and all advice gratefully receieved!
- Is interest still due? 83 2
- Just for fun. 885 31
- HMRC don't make it easy! 36 1
- Entrepreneur's Relief - Disposal over a period of time 88 1
- Has auto-enrolment tipped the scales? 187 3
- Spam blocking 506 29
- Theatre Tax Relief 502 1
- How long to process paper 64-8 (SA)? 150 3
- Excel Instances 77 2
- Does the AR01 reflect the actual money invested in a company 102 6
- How to pay national insurance 544 17
- P11DX: change of requirement by HMRC 1,731 13
- Are solicitors worth the money? 1,345 13
- Can we learn from the financial services industry? 218 8
- A little silliness 291 3
- AccountingWeb is unworkable 355 2
- Ex-gratia payments 288 6
- Splitting PAYE tax code between two jobs both with variable hours 132 4
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 367 6
- HMRC & daft penalty 629 6
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 385
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 374
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 349
- Perkbox 315
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 311
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 275
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 272
- Document Management Systems 253
- WIP Software 240
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 175