Advice re: the CTA
I've just finished (and hopefully passed) my ATT exams and am eyeing up the CTA now cautiously due to the horror stories people tell me about how hard it is.
Basically I've just had a glance at a paper and was suprised how I could see how to answer most of the questions even now (ie before I even looked at a CTA text book). So is the CTA similar to the ATT in question complexity (obviously more the upper end) but you have to really get the points to get marks (as in, if stating an item was ignored for IHT due to it being outside the UK would get you 2 marks in the ATT, the CTA would give you most of the first mark)?
I'm also a full member of the ACCA and was hoping the finals of that would be of comparable difficulty to the CTA, but I'm told it is much harder. Is that just the person I spoke to trying to big up the CTA or is there really such a leap from ACCA finals to CTA? I was told the ACCA was comparable to a Masters, what does that make the CTA?!?
Lastly now that you can do them in bits, what would you say is the manageable happy medium? Is it two exams every 6 months, one every 6 months? I have now till December free, then can't do anything till after June 2010 (my wedding, surely once I get through that the CTA will be a doddle!), then the rest of my life free (until the patter of tiny feet), so logically 2 in December and 2 in December seems best, but if I fail in December 2009 it will be a year till the resits.
Any and all advice gratefully receieved!
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 21 1
- Early repayment of CIS deductions - sole trader 16 1
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,422 32
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 517 13
- Rollover relief and private use 87 2
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 114 2
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 199 3
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 791 12
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,804 72
- SAGE con 336 7
- Filed CT600 using Taxcalc 105 2
- Which software for practice books? 552 20
- Related Parties Note 718 10
- Dazed & confused 383 5
- Law Shipping/Odeon related question 128 2
- Goerge fixes PAs for long period 162 2
- Are HMRC getting it right? 347 7
- trading or dormant 250 6
- Is Hold over relief available? 199 6
- Payroll Liabilities 125 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,055
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 565
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 374
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 283
- Charge out rates in London? 224
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 218
- Personal consumption by landlord 192
- Interest on Loan to a Company 179
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 161
- Agent fees to sell business 150