Advice re: the CTA
I've just finished (and hopefully passed) my ATT exams and am eyeing up the CTA now cautiously due to the horror stories people tell me about how hard it is.
Basically I've just had a glance at a paper and was suprised how I could see how to answer most of the questions even now (ie before I even looked at a CTA text book). So is the CTA similar to the ATT in question complexity (obviously more the upper end) but you have to really get the points to get marks (as in, if stating an item was ignored for IHT due to it being outside the UK would get you 2 marks in the ATT, the CTA would give you most of the first mark)?
I'm also a full member of the ACCA and was hoping the finals of that would be of comparable difficulty to the CTA, but I'm told it is much harder. Is that just the person I spoke to trying to big up the CTA or is there really such a leap from ACCA finals to CTA? I was told the ACCA was comparable to a Masters, what does that make the CTA?!?
Lastly now that you can do them in bits, what would you say is the manageable happy medium? Is it two exams every 6 months, one every 6 months? I have now till December free, then can't do anything till after June 2010 (my wedding, surely once I get through that the CTA will be a doddle!), then the rest of my life free (until the patter of tiny feet), so logically 2 in December and 2 in December seems best, but if I fail in December 2009 it will be a year till the resits.
Any and all advice gratefully receieved!
- VAT Invoice 164 5
- Error in past Corporate tax return 368 6
- General tax book with planning 167 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,237 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 292 11
- Gift of property & improvements 125 2
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 811 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 131 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 227 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 204 7
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 160 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 466 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 385 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 264 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 194 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 260 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 170 4
- SA302's anyone?? 546 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,652 41
- Renting for military reasons 199 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,621
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 901
- International interest certificate 512
- NOVA 368
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 299
- Management expenses for investment company 264
- Bonus Bonds 262
- tax on apprenticeship income 174
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 173
- P11D benefit received by widow 153