Advice re: the CTA
I've just finished (and hopefully passed) my ATT exams and am eyeing up the CTA now cautiously due to the horror stories people tell me about how hard it is.
Basically I've just had a glance at a paper and was suprised how I could see how to answer most of the questions even now (ie before I even looked at a CTA text book). So is the CTA similar to the ATT in question complexity (obviously more the upper end) but you have to really get the points to get marks (as in, if stating an item was ignored for IHT due to it being outside the UK would get you 2 marks in the ATT, the CTA would give you most of the first mark)?
I'm also a full member of the ACCA and was hoping the finals of that would be of comparable difficulty to the CTA, but I'm told it is much harder. Is that just the person I spoke to trying to big up the CTA or is there really such a leap from ACCA finals to CTA? I was told the ACCA was comparable to a Masters, what does that make the CTA?!?
Lastly now that you can do them in bits, what would you say is the manageable happy medium? Is it two exams every 6 months, one every 6 months? I have now till December free, then can't do anything till after June 2010 (my wedding, surely once I get through that the CTA will be a doddle!), then the rest of my life free (until the patter of tiny feet), so logically 2 in December and 2 in December seems best, but if I fail in December 2009 it will be a year till the resits.
Any and all advice gratefully receieved!
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 263 10
- Interest relief before property is rented out 119 2
- Dividend 322 6
- FRS and Debtors 147 2
- What's in a name ? 527 6
- Helping out a friend 423 8
- Problem with CT600 return boxes AC229 & AC230 (Accelerated capital allowances) 225 7
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 406 5
- ACCA practice certificates 323 4
- Dress code 839 21
- How much did you pay for your website 1,552 26
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,273 36
- Umbrella Companies 260 3
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 263 4
- Tax on grant a lease - no proceeds 171 2
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax Consultancy 2014 512 3
- What would you do in this situation? 813 15
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 319 5
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 595 16
- Project being run jointly 264 3
- CTA study material 736
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 457
- Employment related securities question 294
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 289
- AIM Stocks and IHT 264
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 239
- Expat pension contributions? 227
- Trust for Employee 221
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 212
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 138