Advice re: the CTA
I've just finished (and hopefully passed) my ATT exams and am eyeing up the CTA now cautiously due to the horror stories people tell me about how hard it is.
Basically I've just had a glance at a paper and was suprised how I could see how to answer most of the questions even now (ie before I even looked at a CTA text book). So is the CTA similar to the ATT in question complexity (obviously more the upper end) but you have to really get the points to get marks (as in, if stating an item was ignored for IHT due to it being outside the UK would get you 2 marks in the ATT, the CTA would give you most of the first mark)?
I'm also a full member of the ACCA and was hoping the finals of that would be of comparable difficulty to the CTA, but I'm told it is much harder. Is that just the person I spoke to trying to big up the CTA or is there really such a leap from ACCA finals to CTA? I was told the ACCA was comparable to a Masters, what does that make the CTA?!?
Lastly now that you can do them in bits, what would you say is the manageable happy medium? Is it two exams every 6 months, one every 6 months? I have now till December free, then can't do anything till after June 2010 (my wedding, surely once I get through that the CTA will be a doddle!), then the rest of my life free (until the patter of tiny feet), so logically 2 in December and 2 in December seems best, but if I fail in December 2009 it will be a year till the resits.
Any and all advice gratefully receieved!
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 195 6
- Error in audited accounts 47 1
- Vat registration exception 195 3
- CIS software 68 2
- Homing sandwiches 458 11
- CT600 117 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 174 7
- Settlement discount 139 4
- signature required 514 21
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 513 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 183 5
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 169 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 126 2
- Pratice Management Software 136 1
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 212 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 133 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 188 2
- Related Party Transactions 125 2
- UK resident receiving USA pension 116 1
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 473 9
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,244
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 814
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 521
- Digita Hosted Software 338
- Credit where credit's due....... 313
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 237
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 197
- TheTax Donut 180
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 162
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 159