Advice re: the CTA
I've just finished (and hopefully passed) my ATT exams and am eyeing up the CTA now cautiously due to the horror stories people tell me about how hard it is.
Basically I've just had a glance at a paper and was suprised how I could see how to answer most of the questions even now (ie before I even looked at a CTA text book). So is the CTA similar to the ATT in question complexity (obviously more the upper end) but you have to really get the points to get marks (as in, if stating an item was ignored for IHT due to it being outside the UK would get you 2 marks in the ATT, the CTA would give you most of the first mark)?
I'm also a full member of the ACCA and was hoping the finals of that would be of comparable difficulty to the CTA, but I'm told it is much harder. Is that just the person I spoke to trying to big up the CTA or is there really such a leap from ACCA finals to CTA? I was told the ACCA was comparable to a Masters, what does that make the CTA?!?
Lastly now that you can do them in bits, what would you say is the manageable happy medium? Is it two exams every 6 months, one every 6 months? I have now till December free, then can't do anything till after June 2010 (my wedding, surely once I get through that the CTA will be a doddle!), then the rest of my life free (until the patter of tiny feet), so logically 2 in December and 2 in December seems best, but if I fail in December 2009 it will be a year till the resits.
Any and all advice gratefully receieved!
- SIPP 28 2
- Auto-Enrolment 4,334 191
- Flowers sent to client - not a disallowable business gift? 171 2
- When do RTI penalties start for micro employers 104 1
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 375 15
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 228 5
- VAT: Settlement Discounts and Output Value 69 1
- Posting pension salary sacrifice journal 132 2
- Rental income 222 3
- Cash basis 188 6
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 657 27
- Cash basis 830 29
- NIC thresholds - two employments 2,021 34
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 373 12
- Please tell me what to do!! 523 13
- VAT on exports to EU 118 5
- 5th April 429 16
- s455 Directors loan 278 4
- Company buy back of shares from directors 252 11
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 306 2
- Skandia using wrong address 622
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 331
- Employee rewards 311
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 278
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 241
- Etax Australian 200
- LLP in Construction Industry 167
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 162
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 149
- Re-submitting CT600 on paper 144