Advice re: the CTA
I've just finished (and hopefully passed) my ATT exams and am eyeing up the CTA now cautiously due to the horror stories people tell me about how hard it is.
Basically I've just had a glance at a paper and was suprised how I could see how to answer most of the questions even now (ie before I even looked at a CTA text book). So is the CTA similar to the ATT in question complexity (obviously more the upper end) but you have to really get the points to get marks (as in, if stating an item was ignored for IHT due to it being outside the UK would get you 2 marks in the ATT, the CTA would give you most of the first mark)?
I'm also a full member of the ACCA and was hoping the finals of that would be of comparable difficulty to the CTA, but I'm told it is much harder. Is that just the person I spoke to trying to big up the CTA or is there really such a leap from ACCA finals to CTA? I was told the ACCA was comparable to a Masters, what does that make the CTA?!?
Lastly now that you can do them in bits, what would you say is the manageable happy medium? Is it two exams every 6 months, one every 6 months? I have now till December free, then can't do anything till after June 2010 (my wedding, surely once I get through that the CTA will be a doddle!), then the rest of my life free (until the patter of tiny feet), so logically 2 in December and 2 in December seems best, but if I fail in December 2009 it will be a year till the resits.
Any and all advice gratefully receieved!
- Yorkshire Day 147 9
- Directors pay adjustment from 1k to the magic 833.33 157 4
- Collection or business assets 149 3
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,790 42
- Deduction from Salary 911 26
- VAT for client based in Thailand 30 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 400 12
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 820 22
- Doctor and Locum Work 328 5
- Deleted question? 83 1
- Accountancy Career 431 8
- Flat rate allowed but not used. 43 1
- Employee and subcontractor 192 4
- Help with HMRC investigation 386 7
- SMP reclaimable by employer 185 4
- calculation DTR restriction 126 2
- R&D tax credit claim 580 8
- Agent help line - long queues? 108 2
- Is it possible to run/own a UK based business, as a resident of Italy? 162 2
- What are options for non CA firm 3,090 66
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 690
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 545
- Cancelled 432
- Cancelled 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 364
- Probiz 339
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 336
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 247
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 219
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 209