I act for a company which provides asbestos removal services. In addition, the company also provides self employed subcontractors to other asbestos removal companies, in affect acting as an agency.
I should be grateful if anyone could advise me of the employment status of these subcontractors?
Whilst researching agency legislation I came across Section 134 ICTA 1988 / Part 2 Chapter 7 ITEPA 2003 which states that the agency legislation applies where a worker provides services to an employer through a third party in such a way that, technically, the worker is not an employee of either. The third party will often be an employment agency but the legislation may apply to any worker who provides services through any third party.
Where Section 134 / Part 2 Chapter 7 applies, the services provided by the worker are, for income tax purposes, treated as if they were the duties of an employment held by the worker. The remuneration receivable is chargeable to tax under schedule E, as employment income. Accordingly, all the employment income rules apply and PAYE must be operated by the payer.
My understanding of this is that all agency workers are in affect treated as employees of the agency no matter whether they are self employed or not.
I would appreciate any words of advice from anybody in the Know.
- Director drawings 322 30
- Clothing 47 2
- Childcare voucher schemes 82 6
- HMRC SA302s 173 3
- What does the "K" signify 378 7
- Director or self-employed 48 1
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 115 3
- Reporting foreign income in Self-Assessment Tax Return 124 3
- IRIS opentax login problems?! 297 2
- What sectors to target? 165 7
- Adding employers clients on LinkedIn 89 2
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 238 11
- Charitable Company's Accounts 84 2
- client can't/won't pay 1,861 40
- Interest Relief 162 5
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 509 28
- What is the treatment of gains on sale of Options granted in Belgium 51 1
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 1,596 54
- Rental losses 127 3
- Should i tell HMRC 1,587 14
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 901
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 600
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 571
- Latest phishing scam 527
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 372
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 338
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 278
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 197
- Capital allowances in first basis period 179
- Sabbatical payments 171