I act for a company which provides asbestos removal services. In addition, the company also provides self employed subcontractors to other asbestos removal companies, in affect acting as an agency.
I should be grateful if anyone could advise me of the employment status of these subcontractors?
Whilst researching agency legislation I came across Section 134 ICTA 1988 / Part 2 Chapter 7 ITEPA 2003 which states that the agency legislation applies where a worker provides services to an employer through a third party in such a way that, technically, the worker is not an employee of either. The third party will often be an employment agency but the legislation may apply to any worker who provides services through any third party.
Where Section 134 / Part 2 Chapter 7 applies, the services provided by the worker are, for income tax purposes, treated as if they were the duties of an employment held by the worker. The remuneration receivable is chargeable to tax under schedule E, as employment income. Accordingly, all the employment income rules apply and PAYE must be operated by the payer.
My understanding of this is that all agency workers are in affect treated as employees of the agency no matter whether they are self employed or not.
I would appreciate any words of advice from anybody in the Know.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 745 5
- See you all on the other side 763 6
- 12Pay 537 2
- dividends 742 2
- R&D 364 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,228 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 479 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 478 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 429 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 579 5
- Seeking a tax case 687 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 548 4
- Companies house strike off 657 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 483 2
- Moving to the cloud 787 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 230 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 948 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 235 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,120 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 539 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 577
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 431
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 381
- IRIS and FRS 102 367
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 353
- Marginal rates of tax 347
- Capitalising Finance Lease 344
- Class 2 NI 330
- USA help 328
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 311