I act for a company which provides asbestos removal services. In addition, the company also provides self employed subcontractors to other asbestos removal companies, in affect acting as an agency.
I should be grateful if anyone could advise me of the employment status of these subcontractors?
Whilst researching agency legislation I came across Section 134 ICTA 1988 / Part 2 Chapter 7 ITEPA 2003 which states that the agency legislation applies where a worker provides services to an employer through a third party in such a way that, technically, the worker is not an employee of either. The third party will often be an employment agency but the legislation may apply to any worker who provides services through any third party.
Where Section 134 / Part 2 Chapter 7 applies, the services provided by the worker are, for income tax purposes, treated as if they were the duties of an employment held by the worker. The remuneration receivable is chargeable to tax under schedule E, as employment income. Accordingly, all the employment income rules apply and PAYE must be operated by the payer.
My understanding of this is that all agency workers are in affect treated as employees of the agency no matter whether they are self employed or not.
I would appreciate any words of advice from anybody in the Know.
- Goodie bag 268 9
- Claiming VAT without invoice 386 5
- 6th March RTI deadline. Can FPS be submitted on 6th March? 206 2
- Directors loan - no longer a director 368 5
- Career in Practice 180 5
- NHS PENSIONS XFER ABROAD 87 2
- Physiotherapy And Vat 214 7
- Does a Limited Company need a Bank Account to register for VAT 87 1
- Telemarketing 203 5
- Software recommendations? 306 4
- Budget 2015 predictions 244 5
- Husband Wife let property 158 2
- Lack of Quickbooks Online Coverage 455 8
- Relevant life plan 357 8
- Limited Company expenses 395 8
- Awkward shareholder (sister) 208 1
- New tax codes for ex-employees 206 3
- how to value rental space 126 3
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 473 5
- Output tax for retailer 268 6
- Possible Partnership? 612
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 503
- New Fangled Penalties 414
- Clubs and Taxable Income 335
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 303
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 262
- Loans to other companies 247
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 228
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 218
- Outsource Data Entry 215