I act for a company which provides asbestos removal services. In addition, the company also provides self employed subcontractors to other asbestos removal companies, in affect acting as an agency.
I should be grateful if anyone could advise me of the employment status of these subcontractors?
Whilst researching agency legislation I came across Section 134 ICTA 1988 / Part 2 Chapter 7 ITEPA 2003 which states that the agency legislation applies where a worker provides services to an employer through a third party in such a way that, technically, the worker is not an employee of either. The third party will often be an employment agency but the legislation may apply to any worker who provides services through any third party.
Where Section 134 / Part 2 Chapter 7 applies, the services provided by the worker are, for income tax purposes, treated as if they were the duties of an employment held by the worker. The remuneration receivable is chargeable to tax under schedule E, as employment income. Accordingly, all the employment income rules apply and PAYE must be operated by the payer.
My understanding of this is that all agency workers are in affect treated as employees of the agency no matter whether they are self employed or not.
I would appreciate any words of advice from anybody in the Know.
- signature required 762 30
- Employment Support Allowance fraud 251 6
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 57 1
- Stock Control System for Ecommerce Website 253 2
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 40 1
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 623 8
- When to leave the VAT FRS 119 6
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 997 17
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 206 2
- Direct debit entry query 70 2
- Use of home query 373 7
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 279 7
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 533 11
- CIS software 188 5
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 149 4
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 1,083 14
- Client handover 305 6
- format cell to exclude decimals 221 13
- Homing sandwiches 718 16
- Use of home Directors 122 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,284
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 843
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 535
- Digita Hosted Software 349
- Credit where credit's due....... 325
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 250
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 212
- TheTax Donut 207
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 176
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 154