I act for a company which provides asbestos removal services. In addition, the company also provides self employed subcontractors to other asbestos removal companies, in affect acting as an agency.
I should be grateful if anyone could advise me of the employment status of these subcontractors?
Whilst researching agency legislation I came across Section 134 ICTA 1988 / Part 2 Chapter 7 ITEPA 2003 which states that the agency legislation applies where a worker provides services to an employer through a third party in such a way that, technically, the worker is not an employee of either. The third party will often be an employment agency but the legislation may apply to any worker who provides services through any third party.
Where Section 134 / Part 2 Chapter 7 applies, the services provided by the worker are, for income tax purposes, treated as if they were the duties of an employment held by the worker. The remuneration receivable is chargeable to tax under schedule E, as employment income. Accordingly, all the employment income rules apply and PAYE must be operated by the payer.
My understanding of this is that all agency workers are in affect treated as employees of the agency no matter whether they are self employed or not.
I would appreciate any words of advice from anybody in the Know.
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,481 41
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 153 3
- Directors Remunerations and Employees on CT600 99 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 283 1
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 236 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,236 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 372 6
- Go Cardless 387 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 333 3
- Mehjoo 336 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 157 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 413 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 200 4
- SA302 348 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 297 13
- Bringing money to Uk 303 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 219 4
- Hmrc software 264 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 202 1
- Hosted email exchange 195 5
- Xtuple 525
- Qtac payroll for bureau 357
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 301
- Industrial & Provident Societies 294
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 238
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 216
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 213
- Domain name sale and limited company 183
- CIS schemes 179
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 156