I act for a company which provides asbestos removal services. In addition, the company also provides self employed subcontractors to other asbestos removal companies, in affect acting as an agency.
I should be grateful if anyone could advise me of the employment status of these subcontractors?
Whilst researching agency legislation I came across Section 134 ICTA 1988 / Part 2 Chapter 7 ITEPA 2003 which states that the agency legislation applies where a worker provides services to an employer through a third party in such a way that, technically, the worker is not an employee of either. The third party will often be an employment agency but the legislation may apply to any worker who provides services through any third party.
Where Section 134 / Part 2 Chapter 7 applies, the services provided by the worker are, for income tax purposes, treated as if they were the duties of an employment held by the worker. The remuneration receivable is chargeable to tax under schedule E, as employment income. Accordingly, all the employment income rules apply and PAYE must be operated by the payer.
My understanding of this is that all agency workers are in affect treated as employees of the agency no matter whether they are self employed or not.
I would appreciate any words of advice from anybody in the Know.
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 61 1
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 140 4
- SAGE - Filtering Inactive Suppliers/Customers 120 2
- Personal allowance 415 10
- Workshops centred around Xero 458 12
- Scams are not always obvious 691 19
- RTI, no payroll but BIK 118 1
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 122 2
- VAT on long lease in comercial property thathas opted to Tax 90 3
- Related party disclosures 172 3
- Input vat on my fees after deregistration 181 2
- Charity Buildings and Zero-rated Vat 79 1
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 616 17
- 100% FYA, do I have to cliam all of it in 1 year? 233 4
- Vat query - EU customer requesting invoice without charging vat 250 8
- Is this legal? 624 9
- Market Value/Connected Persons 189 7
- Saying NO to a time wasters 1,993 23
- Cells from many sheets 126 2
- Taxation of rental income 214 4
- New Fangled Penalties 1,042
- Moving away from CCH software 902
- Recruitment agencies 528
- QROP pension input amounts 410
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 362
- Deemed Employment Payment 345
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 307
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 298
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 218
- fraud 216