I act for a company which provides asbestos removal services. In addition, the company also provides self employed subcontractors to other asbestos removal companies, in affect acting as an agency.
I should be grateful if anyone could advise me of the employment status of these subcontractors?
Whilst researching agency legislation I came across Section 134 ICTA 1988 / Part 2 Chapter 7 ITEPA 2003 which states that the agency legislation applies where a worker provides services to an employer through a third party in such a way that, technically, the worker is not an employee of either. The third party will often be an employment agency but the legislation may apply to any worker who provides services through any third party.
Where Section 134 / Part 2 Chapter 7 applies, the services provided by the worker are, for income tax purposes, treated as if they were the duties of an employment held by the worker. The remuneration receivable is chargeable to tax under schedule E, as employment income. Accordingly, all the employment income rules apply and PAYE must be operated by the payer.
My understanding of this is that all agency workers are in affect treated as employees of the agency no matter whether they are self employed or not.
I would appreciate any words of advice from anybody in the Know.
- Late registration for MOSS 219 5
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 339 8
- Revaluation of Brands etc 245 5
- Self employed care worker 447 10
- Client right to working papers 244 3
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 522 6
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 303 4
- Professional Clearance 1,026 24
- Self Assessment statement credit balances unallocated and getting repayment 253 5
- Illegal share transfer 432 5
- Audacity 871 16
- Uk vat on supply of training services to South African Airline? 158 2
- Company Strike off 1,819 30
- Soca or not to soca 2,109 34
- How to deal with an employee's at work car parking cost, paid for by the company 380 3
- Estate admin practicalities 214 1
- Cloud Accounting Software for Practitioners 1,490 23
- Duplicate employments caused by works numbers on Sage 319 5
- Cheapest PI insurance for accountant available? 1,777 31
- Joint owners of rental properties 352 6
- NHS finance professionals 529
- VAL231 407
- Mother and son property ownership 368
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 355
- Foreign Pension Contribution 331
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 304
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 283
- vat gross profit percentage margins 268
- Incorporated LLP partners, CIS and IR35 263
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 254