I act for a company which provides asbestos removal services. In addition, the company also provides self employed subcontractors to other asbestos removal companies, in affect acting as an agency.
I should be grateful if anyone could advise me of the employment status of these subcontractors?
Whilst researching agency legislation I came across Section 134 ICTA 1988 / Part 2 Chapter 7 ITEPA 2003 which states that the agency legislation applies where a worker provides services to an employer through a third party in such a way that, technically, the worker is not an employee of either. The third party will often be an employment agency but the legislation may apply to any worker who provides services through any third party.
Where Section 134 / Part 2 Chapter 7 applies, the services provided by the worker are, for income tax purposes, treated as if they were the duties of an employment held by the worker. The remuneration receivable is chargeable to tax under schedule E, as employment income. Accordingly, all the employment income rules apply and PAYE must be operated by the payer.
My understanding of this is that all agency workers are in affect treated as employees of the agency no matter whether they are self employed or not.
I would appreciate any words of advice from anybody in the Know.
- salary earned outside UK 110 3
- Contact number for HMRC Banking? 72 1
- Difficult handover 107 2
- Sale of overseas investment property 89 2
- Car fuel benefit - changing basis 228 4
- Nine-Page Engagement Letters 214 4
- Corporation Tax disallowed entertaining 501 9
- PAYE & NIC 525 27
- German VAT registration? 72 1
- Can I call Agent Dedicated line to request UTR be posted? 93 1
- revenue or capital if 162 1
- WIP valuation at year end 180 3
- What does PITA mean? 1,023 22
- How far back can a direct debit be claimed back by client? 768 7
- Accountex speakers 195 1
- Interim dividends 317 7
- Business loan not in client's name 224 3
- Help with small charity CT600 please!! 449 5
- Company Payroll 326 3
- How do I tackle fraudulent use of a clients SA tax return? 1,258 8
- Sanzar 508
- Digital marketing focus group 405
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 385
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 353
- Sainsbury's mangement 350
- Continuity Agreement 334
- Avanti Accounts 334
- Buyback 290
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 241
- Aggresive sales from Iris 217