I act for a company which provides asbestos removal services. In addition, the company also provides self employed subcontractors to other asbestos removal companies, in affect acting as an agency.
I should be grateful if anyone could advise me of the employment status of these subcontractors?
Whilst researching agency legislation I came across Section 134 ICTA 1988 / Part 2 Chapter 7 ITEPA 2003 which states that the agency legislation applies where a worker provides services to an employer through a third party in such a way that, technically, the worker is not an employee of either. The third party will often be an employment agency but the legislation may apply to any worker who provides services through any third party.
Where Section 134 / Part 2 Chapter 7 applies, the services provided by the worker are, for income tax purposes, treated as if they were the duties of an employment held by the worker. The remuneration receivable is chargeable to tax under schedule E, as employment income. Accordingly, all the employment income rules apply and PAYE must be operated by the payer.
My understanding of this is that all agency workers are in affect treated as employees of the agency no matter whether they are self employed or not.
I would appreciate any words of advice from anybody in the Know.
- Partnership Registration 39 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 869 36
- Owners loan to business - is interest taxable 81 2
- Would this save hours of your time? 652 12
- Audit Required 1,172 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 292 9
- Residential Management Companies 70 2
- Value pricing 2,840 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 384 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 378 11
- Payroll software for Mac 114 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 100 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 211 5
- CIS and Close Company 199 6
- LLP members share of profits 634 32
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 423 20
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 135 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 96 1
- Registered Office 103 2
- Winding up a beneficiary will trust 110 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 940
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 659
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 391
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 330
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 255
- Paye procedures for CVA 246
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 242
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 191
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 188
- Pension Fixed Protection 184