I act for a company which provides asbestos removal services. In addition, the company also provides self employed subcontractors to other asbestos removal companies, in affect acting as an agency.
I should be grateful if anyone could advise me of the employment status of these subcontractors?
Whilst researching agency legislation I came across Section 134 ICTA 1988 / Part 2 Chapter 7 ITEPA 2003 which states that the agency legislation applies where a worker provides services to an employer through a third party in such a way that, technically, the worker is not an employee of either. The third party will often be an employment agency but the legislation may apply to any worker who provides services through any third party.
Where Section 134 / Part 2 Chapter 7 applies, the services provided by the worker are, for income tax purposes, treated as if they were the duties of an employment held by the worker. The remuneration receivable is chargeable to tax under schedule E, as employment income. Accordingly, all the employment income rules apply and PAYE must be operated by the payer.
My understanding of this is that all agency workers are in affect treated as employees of the agency no matter whether they are self employed or not.
I would appreciate any words of advice from anybody in the Know.
- Myfirmsapp 648 14
- Taxfiler V's BTC 637 24
- Directors loan accounts 100 4
- BTC Software 59 2
- Does anyone have a formula to compare employment to self-employment rates? 464 11
- Allowable expenditure when claiming wear & tear 35 1
- Data Protection and emailing documents 1,150 17
- New Practice 223 14
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 134 3
- HMRC 2009/10 Return 254 4
- accounts & tax software for small accountancy firms 810 28
- Goods Purchased for Rental 536 29
- UK Tax Treatment of Finance Lease Payments 96 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,994 25
- Valuation of business 311 5
- CGT implications for gift of shares to connected person 165 7
- Dividend Payments 424 10
- I.d for vat registration 196 7
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 161 4
- builder's 'cost only' job 216 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,010
- International interest certificate 588
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 516
- NOVA 472
- Bonus Bonds 356
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 335
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 257
- Payment for Promotional Samples 229
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 223
- Quickbooks 2015 152