I act for a company which provides asbestos removal services. In addition, the company also provides self employed subcontractors to other asbestos removal companies, in affect acting as an agency.
I should be grateful if anyone could advise me of the employment status of these subcontractors?
Whilst researching agency legislation I came across Section 134 ICTA 1988 / Part 2 Chapter 7 ITEPA 2003 which states that the agency legislation applies where a worker provides services to an employer through a third party in such a way that, technically, the worker is not an employee of either. The third party will often be an employment agency but the legislation may apply to any worker who provides services through any third party.
Where Section 134 / Part 2 Chapter 7 applies, the services provided by the worker are, for income tax purposes, treated as if they were the duties of an employment held by the worker. The remuneration receivable is chargeable to tax under schedule E, as employment income. Accordingly, all the employment income rules apply and PAYE must be operated by the payer.
My understanding of this is that all agency workers are in affect treated as employees of the agency no matter whether they are self employed or not.
I would appreciate any words of advice from anybody in the Know.
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 959 29
- You know its over 347 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 493 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 223 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 177 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 163 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 253 3
- Cocaine anyone? 516 8
- Late Registration for VAT 492 13
- EIS/SEIS 148 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 278 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 419 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 426 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 722 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 557 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 593 4
- Personal pension 403 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 223 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,221 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 178 3
- Hive up 492
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 458
- corporate hierarchy 440
- Advice - 273
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 227
- WWOOFers 218
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 209
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 203
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 183
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 176