I act for a company which provides asbestos removal services. In addition, the company also provides self employed subcontractors to other asbestos removal companies, in affect acting as an agency.
I should be grateful if anyone could advise me of the employment status of these subcontractors?
Whilst researching agency legislation I came across Section 134 ICTA 1988 / Part 2 Chapter 7 ITEPA 2003 which states that the agency legislation applies where a worker provides services to an employer through a third party in such a way that, technically, the worker is not an employee of either. The third party will often be an employment agency but the legislation may apply to any worker who provides services through any third party.
Where Section 134 / Part 2 Chapter 7 applies, the services provided by the worker are, for income tax purposes, treated as if they were the duties of an employment held by the worker. The remuneration receivable is chargeable to tax under schedule E, as employment income. Accordingly, all the employment income rules apply and PAYE must be operated by the payer.
My understanding of this is that all agency workers are in affect treated as employees of the agency no matter whether they are self employed or not.
I would appreciate any words of advice from anybody in the Know.
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 413 8
- Operating lease 19 1
- paye scheme very used 124 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 777 25
- Disclosure query 80 3
- Invoice factoring 42 2
- Auto enrolment 264 4
- Reverse charge - do you always book it? 224 6
- LLP Accounts format 75 1
- Scoot 289 6
- A question about share structure 59 1
- Corporation tax due date confusion 186 3
- Top slicing relief question 142 2
- Share swap 188 3
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 300 2
- Tax on sale of shares 163 3
- Accountants' Error 873 17
- Previous accountant filed dormant accounts in error 342 3
- Unclaimed amortisation of goodwill 227 6
- Shareholder agreement 226 5
- Skandia using wrong address 1,463
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 782
- Any views 710
- HMRC Employers Diary 531
- International interest certificate 428
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 398
- Sale of business 360
- NOVA 266
- Advertising services? 263
- IRIS Open Books problem 259