I act for a company which provides asbestos removal services. In addition, the company also provides self employed subcontractors to other asbestos removal companies, in affect acting as an agency.
I should be grateful if anyone could advise me of the employment status of these subcontractors?
Whilst researching agency legislation I came across Section 134 ICTA 1988 / Part 2 Chapter 7 ITEPA 2003 which states that the agency legislation applies where a worker provides services to an employer through a third party in such a way that, technically, the worker is not an employee of either. The third party will often be an employment agency but the legislation may apply to any worker who provides services through any third party.
Where Section 134 / Part 2 Chapter 7 applies, the services provided by the worker are, for income tax purposes, treated as if they were the duties of an employment held by the worker. The remuneration receivable is chargeable to tax under schedule E, as employment income. Accordingly, all the employment income rules apply and PAYE must be operated by the payer.
My understanding of this is that all agency workers are in affect treated as employees of the agency no matter whether they are self employed or not.
I would appreciate any words of advice from anybody in the Know.
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 52 2
- Really?! 346 5
- Directors liability insurance and scope 59 3
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 531 11
- Dominant influence and intercompany loans 191 3
- VAT - Medical Staff 89 1
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 100 2
- VAT 701/49 query 132 1
- backpack 86 1
- FCA regulated company in a small group 372 1
- Are you going to Xerocon? 1,121 27
- Questions from Liquidator 2,200 23
- Legal Fees Allowable in dispute 354 7
- Is the CT61 return dead? 148 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 812 10
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,019 14
- HMRC site still hasn't updated for January SA filings 539 8
- SSP and Contractual Sick Pay Query 358 9
- Commercial Premises Purchase using Company Profits 496 13
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 379 4
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 698
- 2015 tax year end 428
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 408
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 337
- Costly Accounting Software contract 286
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 250
- Directors' advances and credits 238
- DTA tie-breaker issue 234
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 216
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 196