I act for a company which provides asbestos removal services. In addition, the company also provides self employed subcontractors to other asbestos removal companies, in affect acting as an agency.
I should be grateful if anyone could advise me of the employment status of these subcontractors?
Whilst researching agency legislation I came across Section 134 ICTA 1988 / Part 2 Chapter 7 ITEPA 2003 which states that the agency legislation applies where a worker provides services to an employer through a third party in such a way that, technically, the worker is not an employee of either. The third party will often be an employment agency but the legislation may apply to any worker who provides services through any third party.
Where Section 134 / Part 2 Chapter 7 applies, the services provided by the worker are, for income tax purposes, treated as if they were the duties of an employment held by the worker. The remuneration receivable is chargeable to tax under schedule E, as employment income. Accordingly, all the employment income rules apply and PAYE must be operated by the payer.
My understanding of this is that all agency workers are in affect treated as employees of the agency no matter whether they are self employed or not.
I would appreciate any words of advice from anybody in the Know.
- Nominal Code for Car lease? 24 2
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 297 6
- Definition of "relative" in benefits code 34 1
- Benefit in kind but no salary 302 6
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 219 6
- Should we let the Client Call the Shots? 214 3
- Pension Fund Audit for HMRC form APSS106 - suggested program? 74 3
- HMRC website & Adobe Reader 129 2
- CGT on transfer of property 366 20
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,213 23
- Advisory Fuel Rates 115 5
- The stupidity continues 2,552 102
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,534 28
- VAT on Acquisitions and Exempt Supplier 77 1
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 154 1
- Clearbooks - creating a HP Account 214 8
- Excel file Corrupted 184 3
- Ishares Ftse 100 (ETF) -Ireland 124 1
- Marketing and email surprises 534 10
- Cis refund for company 193 3
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 465
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 456
- WIP Software 323
- No payroll scheme in place 267
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 239
- Is there anything wrong with this? 236
- Small Part Disposal of Property 212
- Uncommercial property business 210
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 178
- SA Penalty 173