I act for a company which provides asbestos removal services. In addition, the company also provides self employed subcontractors to other asbestos removal companies, in affect acting as an agency.
I should be grateful if anyone could advise me of the employment status of these subcontractors?
Whilst researching agency legislation I came across Section 134 ICTA 1988 / Part 2 Chapter 7 ITEPA 2003 which states that the agency legislation applies where a worker provides services to an employer through a third party in such a way that, technically, the worker is not an employee of either. The third party will often be an employment agency but the legislation may apply to any worker who provides services through any third party.
Where Section 134 / Part 2 Chapter 7 applies, the services provided by the worker are, for income tax purposes, treated as if they were the duties of an employment held by the worker. The remuneration receivable is chargeable to tax under schedule E, as employment income. Accordingly, all the employment income rules apply and PAYE must be operated by the payer.
My understanding of this is that all agency workers are in affect treated as employees of the agency no matter whether they are self employed or not.
I would appreciate any words of advice from anybody in the Know.
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 684 9
- Mobile phone costs during maternity leave for OMB 20 1
- "cycle to work" and self-employment benefit? 70 3
- RBS advising client they don't want his business 1,513 11
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 283 9
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 821 27
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 531 22
- Rent A Room 181 6
- How to claim CIS refund for limited company that 318 7
- Scissors 535 19
- MLRO and deputy? 90 2
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 337 1
- Taxcalc 690 21
- Xero Pain Points 381 15
- Treatment of private car expenses put through limited company 253 3
- Foreign Intern - Accommodation Allowance 115 1
- Renting home garage and outbuildings to Business 258 5
- Moneysoft - technical query 461 12
- Post Budget Disincorporations 1,483 11
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 699 11
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 364
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 307
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 285
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 284
- Electric Car 237
- S222 Charge 213
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 204
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 196
- Company Structure 186
- VAT and customer entertaining 169