I act for a company which provides asbestos removal services. In addition, the company also provides self employed subcontractors to other asbestos removal companies, in affect acting as an agency.
I should be grateful if anyone could advise me of the employment status of these subcontractors?
Whilst researching agency legislation I came across Section 134 ICTA 1988 / Part 2 Chapter 7 ITEPA 2003 which states that the agency legislation applies where a worker provides services to an employer through a third party in such a way that, technically, the worker is not an employee of either. The third party will often be an employment agency but the legislation may apply to any worker who provides services through any third party.
Where Section 134 / Part 2 Chapter 7 applies, the services provided by the worker are, for income tax purposes, treated as if they were the duties of an employment held by the worker. The remuneration receivable is chargeable to tax under schedule E, as employment income. Accordingly, all the employment income rules apply and PAYE must be operated by the payer.
My understanding of this is that all agency workers are in affect treated as employees of the agency no matter whether they are self employed or not.
I would appreciate any words of advice from anybody in the Know.
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 1,325 22
- Not registered for VAT. Germany wants proof! 119 4
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 511 10
- The process of issuing dividend? 130 5
- Pattern for CTA 294 7
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 1,244 8
- equipment rental 188 9
- Capital Allowances 73 1
- R185 (Estates) in final year of administration 74 2
- SATR won't match P14 - what would you do? 189 5
- Travelling costs claimable? 65 1
- Non-resident employer & employee 78 3
- Claiming salary pre incorporation 162 2
- Write off of former director's loan 911 13
- PPR query 137 1
- Fixed asset registers 273 9
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 573 8
- Tech Champion of the Year 183 4
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 124 2
- Vat on digital download of music 121 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,351
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 434
- Alphabet shares 234
- Agent fees to sell business 229
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 218
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 166
- Charge out rates in London 163
- which entity 147
- confusion about 139
- UK tax regime 'attractive' to investors, says KPMG 139