I act for a company which provides asbestos removal services. In addition, the company also provides self employed subcontractors to other asbestos removal companies, in affect acting as an agency.
I should be grateful if anyone could advise me of the employment status of these subcontractors?
Whilst researching agency legislation I came across Section 134 ICTA 1988 / Part 2 Chapter 7 ITEPA 2003 which states that the agency legislation applies where a worker provides services to an employer through a third party in such a way that, technically, the worker is not an employee of either. The third party will often be an employment agency but the legislation may apply to any worker who provides services through any third party.
Where Section 134 / Part 2 Chapter 7 applies, the services provided by the worker are, for income tax purposes, treated as if they were the duties of an employment held by the worker. The remuneration receivable is chargeable to tax under schedule E, as employment income. Accordingly, all the employment income rules apply and PAYE must be operated by the payer.
My understanding of this is that all agency workers are in affect treated as employees of the agency no matter whether they are self employed or not.
I would appreciate any words of advice from anybody in the Know.
- Any Scottish members out there? 5,930 208
- Trademark Fun 92 5
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,456 38
- Can I strike off a company by filing DS01 online? 119 2
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 152 3
- Subsistence - god I hate it! 632 14
- How to issue a loan correctly? 166 2
- Would Director's dividends on non-voting C shares risk being classed as "earnings" for NIC purposes? 145 1
- Recycle old study books 348 9
- Share for share exchange 127 3
- Wind turbines 125 1
- Looking for a qualified accountant 509 2
- Locum Doctor claiming costs for Home Office 177 2
- FL Memo - Any Good 401 7
- VAT claim 352 6
- How to reclaim input tax from mixed use redevelopment? 161 6
- Am I allowed Rent A Room Relief? 397 9
- State Pension 1,207 10
- Late Corporation tax return 355 7
- The iIns and outs of VAT 378 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,056
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 339
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 287
- National Insurance 241
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 222
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 221
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 205
- Payments on account coded out?? 200
- Non Resident 159
- Franchise income and costs 137