I act for a company which provides asbestos removal services. In addition, the company also provides self employed subcontractors to other asbestos removal companies, in affect acting as an agency.
I should be grateful if anyone could advise me of the employment status of these subcontractors?
Whilst researching agency legislation I came across Section 134 ICTA 1988 / Part 2 Chapter 7 ITEPA 2003 which states that the agency legislation applies where a worker provides services to an employer through a third party in such a way that, technically, the worker is not an employee of either. The third party will often be an employment agency but the legislation may apply to any worker who provides services through any third party.
Where Section 134 / Part 2 Chapter 7 applies, the services provided by the worker are, for income tax purposes, treated as if they were the duties of an employment held by the worker. The remuneration receivable is chargeable to tax under schedule E, as employment income. Accordingly, all the employment income rules apply and PAYE must be operated by the payer.
My understanding of this is that all agency workers are in affect treated as employees of the agency no matter whether they are self employed or not.
I would appreciate any words of advice from anybody in the Know.
- Fee protection 165 6
- Free Agent data? 131 2
- Generic PAYE notices 146 4
- Ltd company or sole trader 147 6
- Reusing dissolved company name? 138 2
- deductions for OMB companies 184 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 155 4
- LLP classification of division of profit 128 3
- Insolvent Liquidation 110 1
- insolvency ip control 159 1
- I know this has been done to death but IRIS / DIGITA / CCH??? 321 3
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 138 3
- Mature student with NO GCSEs or A levels but with very solid 2:1 degree, needs help? 535 9
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 554 12
- What tax rules apply to oversea representative office employees in UK? 86 1
- UK company avoiding tax 210 2
- Finland 94 1
- With or without a practicing certificate 975 20
- Is HMRC iXBRL filing only available for small audit exempt companies 182 4
- What do you class as Research and Development for R&D Tax Relief 511 8
- Xtuple 480
- Qtac payroll for bureau 323
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 270
- Industrial & Provident Societies 260
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 201
- Mehjoo 198
- Changes in NHS pensions 167
- VAT on commission from Oyster card top up, lottery & paypoint 166
- New strategic report 159
- South African Government Pension 138