I act for a company which provides asbestos removal services. In addition, the company also provides self employed subcontractors to other asbestos removal companies, in affect acting as an agency.
I should be grateful if anyone could advise me of the employment status of these subcontractors?
Whilst researching agency legislation I came across Section 134 ICTA 1988 / Part 2 Chapter 7 ITEPA 2003 which states that the agency legislation applies where a worker provides services to an employer through a third party in such a way that, technically, the worker is not an employee of either. The third party will often be an employment agency but the legislation may apply to any worker who provides services through any third party.
Where Section 134 / Part 2 Chapter 7 applies, the services provided by the worker are, for income tax purposes, treated as if they were the duties of an employment held by the worker. The remuneration receivable is chargeable to tax under schedule E, as employment income. Accordingly, all the employment income rules apply and PAYE must be operated by the payer.
My understanding of this is that all agency workers are in affect treated as employees of the agency no matter whether they are self employed or not.
I would appreciate any words of advice from anybody in the Know.
- Coming in from the cold 303 3
- Splitting the tax year 151 2
- P11d & Medical Ins 182 2
- Should design costs be capitalised? 162 4
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 147 2
- Submitting tax return 108 1
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 203 3
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 255 8
- Director's tax return 329 7
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 110 1
- Sage Payroll 313 11
- Payroo Employer allowance query 207 6
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,068 33
- vat return 262 3
- Flat rate vat 153 1
- Value pricing 732 26
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 164 4
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 241 4
- Private residence relief with entrepreneur relief mix 293 4
- Reregister for VAT 164 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 805
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 557
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 426
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 304
- Free Tax Legislation? 274
- Director Loan account operation 255
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 252
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 245
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 232
- Paye procedures for CVA 169