Allowability of expenses re. voluntary work that is conducted alongside identical fee-earning activity.
An individual has trained in a discipline and undertaken voluntary work in that field and is now qualified and able to take on a first fee-paying client. The business will be slow to grow so voluntary work (in two widely-separated geographic areas) will continue in order to ensure that the minimum number of hours are worked to satisfy Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements. The self-employment depends on membership of the professional body so meeting their CPD requirements is essential.
My concern is that the significant expenses (travel from normal place of work, subsistence, overnight accommodation, etc.) associated with the voluntary work are not directly related to any specific income. In the absence of sufficient chargeable hours, the voluntary work is required to allow this self-employment to continue so does that make the associated net costs allowable per the "wholly and exclusively" criterion?
The charities for which the voluntary work is performed either do not reimburse expenses at all or (in the case of one in the geographic area near the taxpayer's usual place of business) pays mileage at less than AMAP rates. Some permit their qualified volunteers to take on clients as private clients when time-limited charity-support is ended. Losses are anticipated for the first couple of years as a result of these heavy expenses (if allowable) and ongoing training costs but subsequent commercial profit is realistically foreseen. Are the net costs allowable?
Professional insurance was (per rules of professional body) required to cover pre-qualification voluntary work but can that only be charged pro-rata the self-employed period or could the full cost be claimed as pre-startup expenditure along with the printing, advertising and membership fees of professional body, etc.? Not much cash involved but I'd like to be clear on the principle.
- Anybody heard of Geniac, the new De Lorean? 111 2
- are receipts needed? 521 14
- Gift of property & improvements 138 3
- General tax book with planning 191 3
- VAT Invoice 190 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 275 5
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 234 9
- Error in past Corporate tax return 374 6
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,260 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 305 11
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 817 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 139 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 249 3
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 170 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 475 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 397 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 265 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 214 6
- Accounting for a finance lease 179 4
- SA302's anyone?? 552 16
- Skandia using wrong address 1,621
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 902
- International interest certificate 513
- NOVA 369
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 302
- Management expenses for investment company 268
- Bonus Bonds 262
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 176
- tax on apprenticeship income 175
- P11D benefit received by widow 153