Allowability of expenses re. voluntary work that is conducted alongside identical fee-earning activity.
An individual has trained in a discipline and undertaken voluntary work in that field and is now qualified and able to take on a first fee-paying client. The business will be slow to grow so voluntary work (in two widely-separated geographic areas) will continue in order to ensure that the minimum number of hours are worked to satisfy Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements. The self-employment depends on membership of the professional body so meeting their CPD requirements is essential.
My concern is that the significant expenses (travel from normal place of work, subsistence, overnight accommodation, etc.) associated with the voluntary work are not directly related to any specific income. In the absence of sufficient chargeable hours, the voluntary work is required to allow this self-employment to continue so does that make the associated net costs allowable per the "wholly and exclusively" criterion?
The charities for which the voluntary work is performed either do not reimburse expenses at all or (in the case of one in the geographic area near the taxpayer's usual place of business) pays mileage at less than AMAP rates. Some permit their qualified volunteers to take on clients as private clients when time-limited charity-support is ended. Losses are anticipated for the first couple of years as a result of these heavy expenses (if allowable) and ongoing training costs but subsequent commercial profit is realistically foreseen. Are the net costs allowable?
Professional insurance was (per rules of professional body) required to cover pre-qualification voluntary work but can that only be charged pro-rata the self-employed period or could the full cost be claimed as pre-startup expenditure along with the printing, advertising and membership fees of professional body, etc.? Not much cash involved but I'd like to be clear on the principle.
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 163 3
- FPS or EPS 26 1
- What do you all do in your spare time? 747 31
- Personal allowance 652 15
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 147 2
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 1,901 16
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 107 2
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 422 6
- New Fangled Penalties 1,105 1
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 288 3
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 379 10
- VAT on employee loan 299 5
- Taking over from an on-line accounting firm. Any ideas? 956 18
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 157 2
- Accountants website 393 5
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 174 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 486 8
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 108 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 123 1
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,417 20
- Moving away from CCH software 940
- QROP pension input amounts 433
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 375
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 348
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 314
- fraud 273
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 243
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 215
- Construction CIS LLP Company 200
- EPS and CIS deductions 188