Allowability of expenses re. voluntary work that is conducted alongside identical fee-earning activity.
An individual has trained in a discipline and undertaken voluntary work in that field and is now qualified and able to take on a first fee-paying client. The business will be slow to grow so voluntary work (in two widely-separated geographic areas) will continue in order to ensure that the minimum number of hours are worked to satisfy Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements. The self-employment depends on membership of the professional body so meeting their CPD requirements is essential.
My concern is that the significant expenses (travel from normal place of work, subsistence, overnight accommodation, etc.) associated with the voluntary work are not directly related to any specific income. In the absence of sufficient chargeable hours, the voluntary work is required to allow this self-employment to continue so does that make the associated net costs allowable per the "wholly and exclusively" criterion?
The charities for which the voluntary work is performed either do not reimburse expenses at all or (in the case of one in the geographic area near the taxpayer's usual place of business) pays mileage at less than AMAP rates. Some permit their qualified volunteers to take on clients as private clients when time-limited charity-support is ended. Losses are anticipated for the first couple of years as a result of these heavy expenses (if allowable) and ongoing training costs but subsequent commercial profit is realistically foreseen. Are the net costs allowable?
Professional insurance was (per rules of professional body) required to cover pre-qualification voluntary work but can that only be charged pro-rata the self-employed period or could the full cost be claimed as pre-startup expenditure along with the printing, advertising and membership fees of professional body, etc.? Not much cash involved but I'd like to be clear on the principle.
- Do HMRC impose harsher penalties on unrepresented taxpayers? 46 1
- Is a Business Bank Account compulsory for a sole trader? 24 2
- Is it possible and what should be done? 126 1
- Remortgage costs on redidential lettings 180 2
- Self-employed: claiming expenses initially paid by somebody else 387 11
- Unhappy client over fees 1,350 29
- do i need an online accounting software 544 7
- VAT DIY self build shceme 98 1
- COMPANIES HOUSE - DOWN LOAD FREE ACCOUNTS 614 17
- Employee expenses & benefits - bringing myself up to date 242 1
- Backdating Partnership registration to 14/15 998 16
- Can you claim part of the AIA and WDAs on the remainder 159 2
- Bank account security - Kashflow 280 4
- Double tax relief -UK tax paid in error 117 2
- Partnership Share Ratio Quandary 460 12
- Multi user accounting software 108 1
- ACCA student with study package 408 8
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 404 3
- Flat rate VAT and Work in progress 297 5
- Incorporating doctors 424 1
- NHS finance professionals 791
- Foreign Pension Contribution 473
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 465
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 405
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 371
- IFA income recognition & reporting 280
- Are subsistence claims firmly attached to the 24 month rule ? 261
- Form P55 in year tax repayment claim for non-resident 256
- When is sale recognised in an agency who receives commission? 208
- FRM claim for travel to training course 199