Allowability of expenses re. voluntary work that is conducted alongside identical fee-earning activity.
An individual has trained in a discipline and undertaken voluntary work in that field and is now qualified and able to take on a first fee-paying client. The business will be slow to grow so voluntary work (in two widely-separated geographic areas) will continue in order to ensure that the minimum number of hours are worked to satisfy Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements. The self-employment depends on membership of the professional body so meeting their CPD requirements is essential.
My concern is that the significant expenses (travel from normal place of work, subsistence, overnight accommodation, etc.) associated with the voluntary work are not directly related to any specific income. In the absence of sufficient chargeable hours, the voluntary work is required to allow this self-employment to continue so does that make the associated net costs allowable per the "wholly and exclusively" criterion?
The charities for which the voluntary work is performed either do not reimburse expenses at all or (in the case of one in the geographic area near the taxpayer's usual place of business) pays mileage at less than AMAP rates. Some permit their qualified volunteers to take on clients as private clients when time-limited charity-support is ended. Losses are anticipated for the first couple of years as a result of these heavy expenses (if allowable) and ongoing training costs but subsequent commercial profit is realistically foreseen. Are the net costs allowable?
Professional insurance was (per rules of professional body) required to cover pre-qualification voluntary work but can that only be charged pro-rata the self-employed period or could the full cost be claimed as pre-startup expenditure along with the printing, advertising and membership fees of professional body, etc.? Not much cash involved but I'd like to be clear on the principle.
- Sage import sales invoices with due dates 77 2
- Xero - Should I partner with them 416 8
- HP VAT with flat rate scheme 114 1
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 454 7
- Micro entity accounts - cessation of trade 83 1
- Spellcheckers 162 1
- What is IRIS World like? 140 3
- How long to process paper 64-8 (SA)? 279 5
- Sage Bank rec 104 1
- ERS reporting - online filing 250 7
- Is business bank account compulsory for all businesses? 126 1
- Transferring debts between company balance sheets. 139 6
- Small Company sold building, how to show in accounts 219 6
- Contract Hire Van, reclaiming input VAT 213 2
- Just for fun. 1,258 46
- Directors Share Purchase 336 14
- Xero Training 154 1
- Landlord possible penalties for late registration for self assessment 386 13
- Is interest still due? 325 8
- Dividend Waiver 168 3
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 396
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 373
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 354
- Perkbox 330
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 278
- Document Management Systems 268
- WIP Software 258
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 193
- No payroll scheme in place 185
- Nomisma feedback? 184