Allowability of expenses re. voluntary work that is conducted alongside identical fee-earning activity.
An individual has trained in a discipline and undertaken voluntary work in that field and is now qualified and able to take on a first fee-paying client. The business will be slow to grow so voluntary work (in two widely-separated geographic areas) will continue in order to ensure that the minimum number of hours are worked to satisfy Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements. The self-employment depends on membership of the professional body so meeting their CPD requirements is essential.
My concern is that the significant expenses (travel from normal place of work, subsistence, overnight accommodation, etc.) associated with the voluntary work are not directly related to any specific income. In the absence of sufficient chargeable hours, the voluntary work is required to allow this self-employment to continue so does that make the associated net costs allowable per the "wholly and exclusively" criterion?
The charities for which the voluntary work is performed either do not reimburse expenses at all or (in the case of one in the geographic area near the taxpayer's usual place of business) pays mileage at less than AMAP rates. Some permit their qualified volunteers to take on clients as private clients when time-limited charity-support is ended. Losses are anticipated for the first couple of years as a result of these heavy expenses (if allowable) and ongoing training costs but subsequent commercial profit is realistically foreseen. Are the net costs allowable?
Professional insurance was (per rules of professional body) required to cover pre-qualification voluntary work but can that only be charged pro-rata the self-employed period or could the full cost be claimed as pre-startup expenditure along with the printing, advertising and membership fees of professional body, etc.? Not much cash involved but I'd like to be clear on the principle.
- Legal title not in the company name 325 12
- Redundancy pay for directors? 503 14
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 884 19
- Opening Balances 66 1
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 203 2
- Employment Allowance 244 3
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 172 4
- CIC Company 535 7
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,362 21
- VAT online filing exemptions 307 4
- NALS Accountants Report 135 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,490 35
- Dividend dates 581 10
- Sole properietor 221 4
- transitioning payroll 266 8
- dividend proposals 152 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 258 2
- Deduction from Salary 322 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 225 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,767 60
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 626
- Cancelled 367
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 346
- Cancelled 314
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 285
- Probiz 275
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 236
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 232
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 207
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 178