Allowability of expenses re. voluntary work that is conducted alongside identical fee-earning activity.
An individual has trained in a discipline and undertaken voluntary work in that field and is now qualified and able to take on a first fee-paying client. The business will be slow to grow so voluntary work (in two widely-separated geographic areas) will continue in order to ensure that the minimum number of hours are worked to satisfy Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements. The self-employment depends on membership of the professional body so meeting their CPD requirements is essential.
My concern is that the significant expenses (travel from normal place of work, subsistence, overnight accommodation, etc.) associated with the voluntary work are not directly related to any specific income. In the absence of sufficient chargeable hours, the voluntary work is required to allow this self-employment to continue so does that make the associated net costs allowable per the "wholly and exclusively" criterion?
The charities for which the voluntary work is performed either do not reimburse expenses at all or (in the case of one in the geographic area near the taxpayer's usual place of business) pays mileage at less than AMAP rates. Some permit their qualified volunteers to take on clients as private clients when time-limited charity-support is ended. Losses are anticipated for the first couple of years as a result of these heavy expenses (if allowable) and ongoing training costs but subsequent commercial profit is realistically foreseen. Are the net costs allowable?
Professional insurance was (per rules of professional body) required to cover pre-qualification voluntary work but can that only be charged pro-rata the self-employed period or could the full cost be claimed as pre-startup expenditure along with the printing, advertising and membership fees of professional body, etc.? Not much cash involved but I'd like to be clear on the principle.
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 67 2
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 174 7
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 223 8
- Payroo Employer allowance query 238 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 354 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 110 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 170 2
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 295 5
- Comapny valuation qualifications 127 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 434 5
- Director's tax return 383 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 170 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,117 34
- Flat rate vat 213 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 188 5
- Coming in from the cold 369 3
- Splitting the tax year 183 2
- P11d & Medical Ins 216 2
- Should design costs be capitalised? 183 4
- Submitting tax return 219 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 813
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 559
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 429
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 311
- Free Tax Legislation? 285
- Director Loan account operation 264
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 254
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 252
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 233
- Paye procedures for CVA 171