Allowability of expenses re. voluntary work that is conducted alongside identical fee-earning activity.
An individual has trained in a discipline and undertaken voluntary work in that field and is now qualified and able to take on a first fee-paying client. The business will be slow to grow so voluntary work (in two widely-separated geographic areas) will continue in order to ensure that the minimum number of hours are worked to satisfy Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements. The self-employment depends on membership of the professional body so meeting their CPD requirements is essential.
My concern is that the significant expenses (travel from normal place of work, subsistence, overnight accommodation, etc.) associated with the voluntary work are not directly related to any specific income. In the absence of sufficient chargeable hours, the voluntary work is required to allow this self-employment to continue so does that make the associated net costs allowable per the "wholly and exclusively" criterion?
The charities for which the voluntary work is performed either do not reimburse expenses at all or (in the case of one in the geographic area near the taxpayer's usual place of business) pays mileage at less than AMAP rates. Some permit their qualified volunteers to take on clients as private clients when time-limited charity-support is ended. Losses are anticipated for the first couple of years as a result of these heavy expenses (if allowable) and ongoing training costs but subsequent commercial profit is realistically foreseen. Are the net costs allowable?
Professional insurance was (per rules of professional body) required to cover pre-qualification voluntary work but can that only be charged pro-rata the self-employed period or could the full cost be claimed as pre-startup expenditure along with the printing, advertising and membership fees of professional body, etc.? Not much cash involved but I'd like to be clear on the principle.
- Retrospectively change VAT scheme? 63 1
- Goodie bag 1,483 52
- Husband Wife let property 332 9
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 486 12
- Output tax for retailer 299 8
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 249 3
- 13-14 Payroll return needs to be filed 107 2
- Payroll Software & Auto Enrolement 101 1
- CT600 Advice 71 1
- Fair Value Accounting 61 1
- Client incurring expenses on company car 103 4
- can I approach clients ? 350 8
- Companies House Penalties 83 2
- Apostille documents 94 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 526 13
- AE - employees making different contributions 67 1
- Transfer of properties to a limited company stamp duty 327 14
- Classic cars investment 553 15
- Why .... 817 9
- Awkward shareholder (sister) 524 5
- Possible Partnership? 637
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 512
- New Fangled Penalties 442
- Fuming! 371
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 315
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 253
- Outsource Data Entry 233
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 232
- Moving away from CCH software 223
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 173