Allowability of expenses re. voluntary work that is conducted alongside identical fee-earning activity.
An individual has trained in a discipline and undertaken voluntary work in that field and is now qualified and able to take on a first fee-paying client. The business will be slow to grow so voluntary work (in two widely-separated geographic areas) will continue in order to ensure that the minimum number of hours are worked to satisfy Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements. The self-employment depends on membership of the professional body so meeting their CPD requirements is essential.
My concern is that the significant expenses (travel from normal place of work, subsistence, overnight accommodation, etc.) associated with the voluntary work are not directly related to any specific income. In the absence of sufficient chargeable hours, the voluntary work is required to allow this self-employment to continue so does that make the associated net costs allowable per the "wholly and exclusively" criterion?
The charities for which the voluntary work is performed either do not reimburse expenses at all or (in the case of one in the geographic area near the taxpayer's usual place of business) pays mileage at less than AMAP rates. Some permit their qualified volunteers to take on clients as private clients when time-limited charity-support is ended. Losses are anticipated for the first couple of years as a result of these heavy expenses (if allowable) and ongoing training costs but subsequent commercial profit is realistically foreseen. Are the net costs allowable?
Professional insurance was (per rules of professional body) required to cover pre-qualification voluntary work but can that only be charged pro-rata the self-employed period or could the full cost be claimed as pre-startup expenditure along with the printing, advertising and membership fees of professional body, etc.? Not much cash involved but I'd like to be clear on the principle.
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 63 3
- Running Cost of Private Car more than 45p per mile?? 47 2
- Is anyone a member of National Accountancy Network? 148 3
- Tax on Bitcoin gains in hands of individual 131 3
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 197 7
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,078 24
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 298 8
- Write off of former director's loan 376 8
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 230 4
- VAT on part of a closed pub 210 13
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 256 4
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 258 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 178 3
- Dispensation pointless ? 318 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 228 6
- SME Direct Debit 689 11
- Accountant software 450 13
- Accounting jobs in the UK 179 2
- CIS gross status review 132 1
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 137 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 769
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 490
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 304
- How to format a stock book 269
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 219
- Tax efficient holding company structure 208
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 200
- Investment property company accounts template 192
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 176
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 165