Amortisation not previously claimed as a tax-allowable item
A colleague referred a query to me.
He's interviewed a new potential client who incorporated his sole trader business in 2008, having started up in business in 2004.
His current adviser had added back amortisation expenses on the goodwill in the company tax computations, presumably not realising it would have been tax-allowable.
The query is whether the unclaimed amortisation in 2008 and 2009 could be set off against the 2010 tax charge or whether amended returns would have needed to have been submitted.
If the set-off is possible for 2010, what would be the most appropriate way of presenting the charge on the CT600 and accompanying tax comp?
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 334 13
- Easiest and quickest way to reopen dissolved company, for the purposes of having access to funds in the bank account. 265 8
- Residents Association Corp Tax 30 1
- Minutes & Dividend Vouchers 390 12
- Private Healthcare Benefit In Kind 147 4
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 706 9
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 124 2
- Benefit of my ACCA membership to my Non Qualified Employer 216 3
- Cash accounting to flat rate scheme 66 2
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 281 8
- SA tax assessments 206 3
- Signing Accounts for Mortgage Reference 250 3
- Contractor/ Ltd Co/with pension 124 3
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,680 24
- new capital structure ltd with investors 290 4
- Who can I refer leads to? 301 6
- Companies House 310 4
- RTI - EPS - ??? 171 2
- Non-reporting of BIK - income tax liability 153 1
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 685 14
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 433
- CTA study material 391
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 291
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 268
- Pre incorp expenses 249
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 220
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 219
- Slight twist on employment related securities 199
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 155
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 145