Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) and Selling an Asset
I've got a couple of examples and a few questions, if any one can answer them it would be a great help. Thank you.
Example A: I filled in my first self-assessment tax return last year (2009/2010) and had an Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) of £500 for a computer. This tax year (2010/2011) I sold the computer for £300.
Question 1: Do I put the £300 down as a Capital Allowance this tax year? And put the difference of £200 as a Balancing Charge?
Question 2: Does any Balancing Charge add to my taxable income?
Question 3: How do I go about invoicing this? Do I invoice regularly as a sales invoice or do I need to draw up an Asset Purchase Agreement (I read about that somewhere!)?
Example B: I filled in my first self-assessment tax return last year (2009/2010) and had an Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) of £100 for a hard drive. This tax year (2010/2011) the hard drive broke and went in the bin.
Question 1: Do I put a Balancing Charge of £100 down for this tax year?
- VAT on motor expenses 818 30
- Two clients (married to each other) disappeared from client list 90 4
- Gifting shares 195 4
- Holding companies 65 3
- Soil Survey Required Mortgage 154 5
- What does it mean?? 63 1
- Notes to statutory accounts 127 8
- A question about share structure 156 2
- VAT & Landlords 81 2
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 587 4
- Client died family to pay redundancy 170 2
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 298 5
- Rent paid by director 55 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 107 1
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 414 13
- Builder using cash labour 322 3
- Easy way to not pay tax 751 18
- Accomodation charge for Publican 127 2
- VAT Registration 344 16
- Singaporean Tax Adviser 67 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,516
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 838
- International interest certificate 455
- NOVA 313
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 196
- Bonus Bonds 194
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 190
- Management expenses for investment company 187
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 172
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 165