Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) and Selling an Asset
I've got a couple of examples and a few questions, if any one can answer them it would be a great help. Thank you.
Example A: I filled in my first self-assessment tax return last year (2009/2010) and had an Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) of £500 for a computer. This tax year (2010/2011) I sold the computer for £300.
Question 1: Do I put the £300 down as a Capital Allowance this tax year? And put the difference of £200 as a Balancing Charge?
Question 2: Does any Balancing Charge add to my taxable income?
Question 3: How do I go about invoicing this? Do I invoice regularly as a sales invoice or do I need to draw up an Asset Purchase Agreement (I read about that somewhere!)?
Example B: I filled in my first self-assessment tax return last year (2009/2010) and had an Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) of £100 for a hard drive. This tax year (2010/2011) the hard drive broke and went in the bin.
Question 1: Do I put a Balancing Charge of £100 down for this tax year?
- General tax book with planning 143 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,196 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 280 11
- Gift of property & improvements 111 2
- Error in past Corporate tax return 339 5
- VAT Invoice 130 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 802 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 127 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 215 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 180 7
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 149 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 446 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 371 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 254 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 182 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 258 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 163 4
- SA302's anyone?? 534 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,643 41
- Renting for military reasons 193 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,620
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 901
- International interest certificate 510
- NOVA 368
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 293
- Management expenses for investment company 263
- Bonus Bonds 261
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 172
- tax on apprenticeship income 172
- P11D benefit received by widow 149