Application for striking off
In the past, when an application for striking off has been made to Companies House, it has been our policy not to prepare statutory accounts for the final period/year as Companies House does not require them and because the date of application falls several months before the accounting reference date.
In such circumstances, we have submitted accurate and detailed management accounts, signed by the directors, to the Revenue in support of the relevant Corporation Tax returns. Sometimes the Revenue accepts these, and sometimes rejects them on the basis that there is no directors' report. We have always re-submitted the management accounts stating that no directors' report is required, and the Revenue has accepted this.
On the most recent occasion, the revenue has insisited on a directors' report. We argued that the nature of a directors' report is that it is prepared only when statutory accounts have been prepared, and as no such accounts have been prepared in this instance, no directors' report exists. The Revenue stated verbally that it also required statutory accounts. We managed to agree with the Revenue to submit some sort of directors' statement containing all the information in a directors' report but not statutory accounts.
The Revenue stated that when online filing is mandatory, statutory accounts will be required or else the Corporation Tax return(s) will be rejected.
What do other firms do in such circumstances, and what are they planning to do when online filing is mandatory please?
- Opening start-up business bank accounts 155 3
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 13 1
- corp tax software 265 4
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 90 2
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 534 24
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,313 420
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 955 48
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 324 16
- Is this fraud? 530 12
- Likely interaction of new Onshore Employment Intermediaries Act with IR35 ? 74 1
- Furnished lettings criteria 269 4
- Sole trader - Normal Bank account used for business? 67 1
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 155 4
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 149 1
- Naming new company 311 6
- Saying goodbye 548 14
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 199 4
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 652 5
- Pension Contributions Relief 398 12
- Revaluation of investment proeprty 94 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,284
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 457
- National Insurance 354
- Non Resident 273
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 265
- Franchise income and costs 244
- Hands on experience of Digita 206
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 157
- Employer's Helpline 153
- employment capital allowances 143