Application for striking off
In the past, when an application for striking off has been made to Companies House, it has been our policy not to prepare statutory accounts for the final period/year as Companies House does not require them and because the date of application falls several months before the accounting reference date.
In such circumstances, we have submitted accurate and detailed management accounts, signed by the directors, to the Revenue in support of the relevant Corporation Tax returns. Sometimes the Revenue accepts these, and sometimes rejects them on the basis that there is no directors' report. We have always re-submitted the management accounts stating that no directors' report is required, and the Revenue has accepted this.
On the most recent occasion, the revenue has insisited on a directors' report. We argued that the nature of a directors' report is that it is prepared only when statutory accounts have been prepared, and as no such accounts have been prepared in this instance, no directors' report exists. The Revenue stated verbally that it also required statutory accounts. We managed to agree with the Revenue to submit some sort of directors' statement containing all the information in a directors' report but not statutory accounts.
The Revenue stated that when online filing is mandatory, statutory accounts will be required or else the Corporation Tax return(s) will be rejected.
What do other firms do in such circumstances, and what are they planning to do when online filing is mandatory please?
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,688 39
- Holiday Pay whilst on Mat Leave 71 1
- Accounts Software 134 5
- HMRC Agents Line 198 4
- calculation DTR restriction 81 1
- Company Director In Prison 451 11
- SMP reclaimable by employer 69 1
- AWeb - download file 170 3
- Charity work 236 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 253 6
- Director Drawings 165 5
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 264 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 227 7
- Collection or business assets 108 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 271 8
- Tax position re this lease? 371 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 728 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 105 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,675 70
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 91 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 679
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 520
- Cancelled 427
- Cancelled 365
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 362
- Probiz 336
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 327
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 243
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 216
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 203