Application for striking off
In the past, when an application for striking off has been made to Companies House, it has been our policy not to prepare statutory accounts for the final period/year as Companies House does not require them and because the date of application falls several months before the accounting reference date.
In such circumstances, we have submitted accurate and detailed management accounts, signed by the directors, to the Revenue in support of the relevant Corporation Tax returns. Sometimes the Revenue accepts these, and sometimes rejects them on the basis that there is no directors' report. We have always re-submitted the management accounts stating that no directors' report is required, and the Revenue has accepted this.
On the most recent occasion, the revenue has insisited on a directors' report. We argued that the nature of a directors' report is that it is prepared only when statutory accounts have been prepared, and as no such accounts have been prepared in this instance, no directors' report exists. The Revenue stated verbally that it also required statutory accounts. We managed to agree with the Revenue to submit some sort of directors' statement containing all the information in a directors' report but not statutory accounts.
The Revenue stated that when online filing is mandatory, statutory accounts will be required or else the Corporation Tax return(s) will be rejected.
What do other firms do in such circumstances, and what are they planning to do when online filing is mandatory please?
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 392 12
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 631 18
- recompense capital input 104 4
- Where has Portia gone? 2,148 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 71 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 171 3
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 177 7
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 205 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 967 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 162 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 235 5
- Merging my businesses 216 3
- Spousal transfer and PPR 575 19
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 469 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 360 9
- Sage Vat return box 2 331 1
- Holiday entitlement 589 11
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 330 7
- Capital allowances on taxis 177 1
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 242 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 792
- RTI - duplicate employee record 559
- Pensions Regulator 450
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 410
- Portia ... Where art thou 318
- Sanzar 314
- How do you do it 298
- Digital marketing focus group 297
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 271
- new investor structure 179