Application for striking off
In the past, when an application for striking off has been made to Companies House, it has been our policy not to prepare statutory accounts for the final period/year as Companies House does not require them and because the date of application falls several months before the accounting reference date.
In such circumstances, we have submitted accurate and detailed management accounts, signed by the directors, to the Revenue in support of the relevant Corporation Tax returns. Sometimes the Revenue accepts these, and sometimes rejects them on the basis that there is no directors' report. We have always re-submitted the management accounts stating that no directors' report is required, and the Revenue has accepted this.
On the most recent occasion, the revenue has insisited on a directors' report. We argued that the nature of a directors' report is that it is prepared only when statutory accounts have been prepared, and as no such accounts have been prepared in this instance, no directors' report exists. The Revenue stated verbally that it also required statutory accounts. We managed to agree with the Revenue to submit some sort of directors' statement containing all the information in a directors' report but not statutory accounts.
The Revenue stated that when online filing is mandatory, statutory accounts will be required or else the Corporation Tax return(s) will be rejected.
What do other firms do in such circumstances, and what are they planning to do when online filing is mandatory please?
- Recharge for private use of a company car 163 3
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 319 5
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 117 2
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,247 12
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 382 5
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,449 18
- Vat 239 4
- CT/CIS offset 102 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 154 4
- Trade name 157 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 127 1
- New business - journal entries 302 20
- B2B vat in the EU 102 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 307 18
- Why should I retain membership? 2,652 45
- VAT on deposits 201 2
- VAT clearance for determining the correct rate to apply 123 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 399 12
- option to tax 202 1
- Share of profits from building society 95 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 775
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 704
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 382
- Social investment tax relief 201
- Digita Hosted Software 196
- Call Centre Data Costs 190
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 154
- Travel costs and contractors 148
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 139
- Certificates of tax deposit 133