Application for striking off
In the past, when an application for striking off has been made to Companies House, it has been our policy not to prepare statutory accounts for the final period/year as Companies House does not require them and because the date of application falls several months before the accounting reference date.
In such circumstances, we have submitted accurate and detailed management accounts, signed by the directors, to the Revenue in support of the relevant Corporation Tax returns. Sometimes the Revenue accepts these, and sometimes rejects them on the basis that there is no directors' report. We have always re-submitted the management accounts stating that no directors' report is required, and the Revenue has accepted this.
On the most recent occasion, the revenue has insisited on a directors' report. We argued that the nature of a directors' report is that it is prepared only when statutory accounts have been prepared, and as no such accounts have been prepared in this instance, no directors' report exists. The Revenue stated verbally that it also required statutory accounts. We managed to agree with the Revenue to submit some sort of directors' statement containing all the information in a directors' report but not statutory accounts.
The Revenue stated that when online filing is mandatory, statutory accounts will be required or else the Corporation Tax return(s) will be rejected.
What do other firms do in such circumstances, and what are they planning to do when online filing is mandatory please?
- letter of reference 214 4
- Staff 201 4
- Software for Accounts layout 395 8
- Income prior to company formation 367 10
- rental property, pre letting costs 170 4
- VAT on farm machinery sold 368 7
- Non-resident company director 116 2
- are we that stupid 969 21
- Looking to move my email from PC to cloud 168 5
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 746 13
- Can this be done? 201 1
- Capital Allowance & AIA 138 1
- Foster Care 141 1
- Spread Betting and Forex Trading 355 5
- Flexible report structure in cloud accounting 110 1
- Self Assessment penalties again 313 3
- Flat Management Company 222 1
- Share structure questions - close company 198 2
- Roll old capital gain into current one or declare separately? 184 4
- Inexpensive CRM for small accountancy practice? 353 5
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 331
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 287
- French ConnectionUK 268
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 252
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 218
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 218
- CentreCRM - anybody using it? 163
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 156
- E-mailing customer invoices in VT Transaction+ 155
- Agricultural Flat Rate Scheme 148