Are HP printers losing their mojo?
While following up this week's article about the best multifuction printer for a small home office, I began to wonder whether HP still merits its reputation as the champion printer manufacturer.
When I needed a small office printer about four years ago, my decision was almost automatic, despite the eye-watering £59 price tag for the HP 1015's toner cartridge. But that machine developed a fault that was not economic to fix and I started looking for a replacement.
My mum is something of an inkjet demon (she uses them for laying out artistic handbag designs) and has a stable of three machines of varying vintages: an old Epson Pixma, an HP InkJet 2355 and a newer HP Photosmart 4380 - a special offer, apparently, that she couldn't resist. In use, she found the new machine's interface was much more complicated and finnicky than the older model, and with the arrival of a new Dell PC running Vista, the drivers threw a strop.
It took ages for Dell & HP to come up with new drivers and they still occasionally unload themselves for no apparent reason. Other people I consulted confirmed that HP's interface software is "clunky".
The company has gone on a big acquisition drive and moved into more profitable IT services - but has this affected what was once its strong point: its reputation as THE leading printer manufacturer with a strong commitment to R&D?
If other people have similar experiences to me, I may delve more deeply into the subject to confirm whether an era has come to the end. And if it has, which supplier would succeed HP as the printer king?
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 183 5
- The Cotter Case 178 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 108 3
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 134 2
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 54 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 936 16
- Sole Trader business 152 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 151 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 144 1
- Giving a seminar 682 36
- Tax position on lease extension 175 1
- Boffin of the Year 299 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 219 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 238 4
- Sage Depreciation 78 1
- Non sequitur 252 2
- Am i Liable? 881 21
- Sale of business being paid by deferred payments by buyer 170 1
- tax relief for the cost of trade marks 155 1
- Interest on main residence mortgage then lent to a company 78 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,296
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 640
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 424
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 331
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 262
- Alphabet shares 219
- Agent fees to sell business 213
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 207
- Office recharges 170
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 150