Are Proceeds from breeding puppies taxable?
A friend of mine has asked if he should declare the proceeds of sale (£4.5K) of a litter of thoroughbred puppies on his tax return and pay tax on them.
The bitch is a pet. No other dogs are kept. Fortunately (for him) there were no vet fees as his partner is a vet and performed her services for free.
If the proceeds are taxable, I assume that the puppy food will be allowable as an expense. But what about the cost of the bitch and the food and care she has received since being acquired (a few years ago). She would not have been able to produce the puppies if she hadn't been looked after since acquisition!
If the (net) proceeds are taxable is it to be "other income" or "trading income". If the latter should my friend have registered with HMRC and is he now liable to a £100 penalty?
If it is taxable, then there must be a lot of people out there evading tax!
- SA302 178 3
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 102 1
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 1,043 56
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 251 2
- Dental practice incorpration 112 1
- Audit rules 154 4
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 227 5
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 818 20
- Go Cardless 266 8
- business entertaining deductibility 127 1
- Self assessment tax arrears 144 2
- R & D 104 3
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 80 1
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 111 2
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 163 3
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 154 1
- New Business Registration 213 5
- Hosted email exchange 135 4
- Excel formula for UK corporation tax including losses 151 1
- G P life time allowance 121 3
- Xtuple 502
- Qtac payroll for bureau 336
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 281
- Industrial & Provident Societies 277
- Mehjoo 221
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 218
- New strategic report 171
- Domain name sale and limited company 159
- South African Government Pension 156
- CIS schemes 151