Are Proceeds from breeding puppies taxable?
A friend of mine has asked if he should declare the proceeds of sale (£4.5K) of a litter of thoroughbred puppies on his tax return and pay tax on them.
The bitch is a pet. No other dogs are kept. Fortunately (for him) there were no vet fees as his partner is a vet and performed her services for free.
If the proceeds are taxable, I assume that the puppy food will be allowable as an expense. But what about the cost of the bitch and the food and care she has received since being acquired (a few years ago). She would not have been able to produce the puppies if she hadn't been looked after since acquisition!
If the (net) proceeds are taxable is it to be "other income" or "trading income". If the latter should my friend have registered with HMRC and is he now liable to a £100 penalty?
If it is taxable, then there must be a lot of people out there evading tax!
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 940 29
- You know its over 308 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 481 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 205 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 160 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 146 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 222 3
- Cocaine anyone? 498 8
- Late Registration for VAT 480 13
- EIS/SEIS 135 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 269 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 409 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 415 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 708 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 550 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 583 4
- Personal pension 397 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 220 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,212 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 166 3
- Hive up 488
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 453
- corporate hierarchy 433
- Advice - 270
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 223
- WWOOFers 216
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 205
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 193
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 175
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 172