Are Proceeds from breeding puppies taxable?
A friend of mine has asked if he should declare the proceeds of sale (£4.5K) of a litter of thoroughbred puppies on his tax return and pay tax on them.
The bitch is a pet. No other dogs are kept. Fortunately (for him) there were no vet fees as his partner is a vet and performed her services for free.
If the proceeds are taxable, I assume that the puppy food will be allowable as an expense. But what about the cost of the bitch and the food and care she has received since being acquired (a few years ago). She would not have been able to produce the puppies if she hadn't been looked after since acquisition!
If the (net) proceeds are taxable is it to be "other income" or "trading income". If the latter should my friend have registered with HMRC and is he now liable to a £100 penalty?
If it is taxable, then there must be a lot of people out there evading tax!
- Is this fraud? 94 2
- Furnished lettings criteria 24 1
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 384 5
- Saying goodbye 202 6
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 229 11
- Flat rate scheme 80 1
- SAGE TRANSACTIONS DATA 71 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,113 412
- Pension Contributions Relief 345 11
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 76 1
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 198 2
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 268 15
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 293 1
- Sportman claiming for training kit 951 10
- Naming new company 129 4
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 775 33
- UK RESIDENT IN RECEIPT OF USA PENSION 154 2
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 279 4
- VAT registration for self employed dentist??? 583 22
- Warning of enforcement action - without any warnings 247 4
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,267
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 452
- National Insurance 351
- Non Resident 265
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 258
- Franchise income and costs 235
- Hands on experience of Digita 190
- Employer's Helpline 143
- employment capital allowances 133
- CIS paid under reg 9 129