Are Proceeds from breeding puppies taxable?
A friend of mine has asked if he should declare the proceeds of sale (£4.5K) of a litter of thoroughbred puppies on his tax return and pay tax on them.
The bitch is a pet. No other dogs are kept. Fortunately (for him) there were no vet fees as his partner is a vet and performed her services for free.
If the proceeds are taxable, I assume that the puppy food will be allowable as an expense. But what about the cost of the bitch and the food and care she has received since being acquired (a few years ago). She would not have been able to produce the puppies if she hadn't been looked after since acquisition!
If the (net) proceeds are taxable is it to be "other income" or "trading income". If the latter should my friend have registered with HMRC and is he now liable to a £100 penalty?
If it is taxable, then there must be a lot of people out there evading tax!
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 87 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 445 13
- Coding Notice 213 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 224 6
- New business - journal entries 388 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 216 3
- Payroll software 636 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 248 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 386 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 720 18
- B2B vat in the EU 177 4
- VAT on Hire Purchase 129 1
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 193 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 222 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 187 4
- LLP as member of LLP 131 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,820 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 500 7
- Vat 299 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,298 13
- Auto enrolment excuses 847
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 717
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 402
- Social investment tax relief 217
- Digita Hosted Software 210
- Call Centre Data Costs 197
- accounting for this transaction 180
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 170
- Travel costs and contractors 165
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 158