Are Proceeds from breeding puppies taxable?
A friend of mine has asked if he should declare the proceeds of sale (£4.5K) of a litter of thoroughbred puppies on his tax return and pay tax on them.
The bitch is a pet. No other dogs are kept. Fortunately (for him) there were no vet fees as his partner is a vet and performed her services for free.
If the proceeds are taxable, I assume that the puppy food will be allowable as an expense. But what about the cost of the bitch and the food and care she has received since being acquired (a few years ago). She would not have been able to produce the puppies if she hadn't been looked after since acquisition!
If the (net) proceeds are taxable is it to be "other income" or "trading income". If the latter should my friend have registered with HMRC and is he now liable to a £100 penalty?
If it is taxable, then there must be a lot of people out there evading tax!
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,759 26
- Value pricing 227 9
- Undeclared Self Employment 1,556 12
- Audit Required 105 3
- company secretarial software 141 2
- Tax repayment for 2013-14 146 3
- Elective DeductionsModel 63 1
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 187 1
- Rental Income 301 6
- Payroll 2012/13 105 1
- I have a pain 695 6
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 83 1
- convert directors loan account to share capital 174 5
- Anyone else seen incorrect tax code notices - rather worring! 734 17
- Belated VAT Exception Application 122 3
- Cash flow 147 2
- New use of home - simplified method 250 4
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 268 5
- 2 year rule? Self employed. 398 13
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,955 32
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 732
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 500
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 345
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 342
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 263
- VAT on Gaming Machines 211
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 199
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 187
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 177
- Director Loan account operation 150