Are Proceeds from breeding puppies taxable?
A friend of mine has asked if he should declare the proceeds of sale (£4.5K) of a litter of thoroughbred puppies on his tax return and pay tax on them.
The bitch is a pet. No other dogs are kept. Fortunately (for him) there were no vet fees as his partner is a vet and performed her services for free.
If the proceeds are taxable, I assume that the puppy food will be allowable as an expense. But what about the cost of the bitch and the food and care she has received since being acquired (a few years ago). She would not have been able to produce the puppies if she hadn't been looked after since acquisition!
If the (net) proceeds are taxable is it to be "other income" or "trading income". If the latter should my friend have registered with HMRC and is he now liable to a £100 penalty?
If it is taxable, then there must be a lot of people out there evading tax!
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 374 14
- directors loan 245 7
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 814 27
- Director registration for SA question 255 11
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 212 3
- New Company reviews please 455 12
- Business only use of company car 603 23
- Holiday pay calculator for client use? 338 4
- CIS not deducted 303 5
- Car Capital Contribution 180 2
- cgt quoted shares losses 198 1
- LLP and corporate members - timing differences impact on corp tax 80 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 209 3
- Money Laundering Manual 257 10
- As I was saying, Its VAT question day 352 8
- VAT with Russia 122 1
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,038 28
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 208 2
- Worst corporate entertaining events? 1,154 9
- CGT on Let Property 234 4
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 281
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 235
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 234
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 208
- Any thoughts on Capium? 196
- Expenses Software 189
- auto enrolment 176
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 168
- How to account for investment in JV? 146
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 145