Are Proceeds from breeding puppies taxable?
A friend of mine has asked if he should declare the proceeds of sale (£4.5K) of a litter of thoroughbred puppies on his tax return and pay tax on them.
The bitch is a pet. No other dogs are kept. Fortunately (for him) there were no vet fees as his partner is a vet and performed her services for free.
If the proceeds are taxable, I assume that the puppy food will be allowable as an expense. But what about the cost of the bitch and the food and care she has received since being acquired (a few years ago). She would not have been able to produce the puppies if she hadn't been looked after since acquisition!
If the (net) proceeds are taxable is it to be "other income" or "trading income". If the latter should my friend have registered with HMRC and is he now liable to a £100 penalty?
If it is taxable, then there must be a lot of people out there evading tax!
- Capital allowances in first basis period 214 1
- HMRC filing meltdown? 193 7
- Why do I do this every year 83 2
- Limited Companies Merger 184 5
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 194 18
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,534 41
- eBay trading 204 4
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 250 10
- Self assesment online 888 10
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 1,102 46
- childcare 89 3
- Childcare voucher schemes 220 8
- What sectors to target? 530 25
- Rent a room scheme query. 130 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 448 12
- PAYE Control Visit 193 2
- Practice management 332 6
- Repayment of maternity pay 200 4
- Journals to Creditors Control 252 8
- Capital allowances on Software 131 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 920
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 638
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 592
- Latest phishing scam 570
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 400
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 302
- Scratch Head 223
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 219
- Sabbatical payments 189
- Negligible Value Claim 163