Are Proceeds from breeding puppies taxable?
A friend of mine has asked if he should declare the proceeds of sale (£4.5K) of a litter of thoroughbred puppies on his tax return and pay tax on them.
The bitch is a pet. No other dogs are kept. Fortunately (for him) there were no vet fees as his partner is a vet and performed her services for free.
If the proceeds are taxable, I assume that the puppy food will be allowable as an expense. But what about the cost of the bitch and the food and care she has received since being acquired (a few years ago). She would not have been able to produce the puppies if she hadn't been looked after since acquisition!
If the (net) proceeds are taxable is it to be "other income" or "trading income". If the latter should my friend have registered with HMRC and is he now liable to a £100 penalty?
If it is taxable, then there must be a lot of people out there evading tax!
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 117 2
- What would you do in this situation? 634 14
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,050 31
- Dress code 441 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 496 16
- Project being run jointly 201 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 306 4
- Companies House 600 9
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 134 1
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 353 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 731 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,441 25
- Help Required 411 10
- directors control and tax problems 291 5
- Fastest Software 806 13
- What's in a name ? 381 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 300 4
- Bulk Invoicing 191 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 183 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 262 2
- CTA study material 713
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 435
- Employment related securities question 274
- AIM Stocks and IHT 251
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 231
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 219
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 211
- Expat pension contributions? 199
- Trust for Employee 195
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 170