Are Proceeds from breeding puppies taxable?
A friend of mine has asked if he should declare the proceeds of sale (£4.5K) of a litter of thoroughbred puppies on his tax return and pay tax on them.
The bitch is a pet. No other dogs are kept. Fortunately (for him) there were no vet fees as his partner is a vet and performed her services for free.
If the proceeds are taxable, I assume that the puppy food will be allowable as an expense. But what about the cost of the bitch and the food and care she has received since being acquired (a few years ago). She would not have been able to produce the puppies if she hadn't been looked after since acquisition!
If the (net) proceeds are taxable is it to be "other income" or "trading income". If the latter should my friend have registered with HMRC and is he now liable to a £100 penalty?
If it is taxable, then there must be a lot of people out there evading tax!
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 167 9
- client threatening legal action 1,795 28
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 676 8
- Partially exempt? 239 9
- Reclaiming EU VAT on fuel and expenses 86 1
- First VAT Visit for client 226 4
- Dividend in specie 226 7
- Lorry Drivers 136 2
- Redundancy payment added to p45 96 1
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 96 1
- Mexican student in UK 116 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 195 3
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 298 12
- payroll software 128 1
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 1,052 25
- Complicated Company car purchase 109 1
- Pricing 332 10
- Late VAT registration penalty 250 5
- VAT 117 2
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 852 18
- Skandia using wrong address 488
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 278
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 273
- Employee rewards 258
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 226
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 217
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 214
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 213
- Etax Australian 172
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 160