Are Proceeds from breeding puppies taxable?
A friend of mine has asked if he should declare the proceeds of sale (£4.5K) of a litter of thoroughbred puppies on his tax return and pay tax on them.
The bitch is a pet. No other dogs are kept. Fortunately (for him) there were no vet fees as his partner is a vet and performed her services for free.
If the proceeds are taxable, I assume that the puppy food will be allowable as an expense. But what about the cost of the bitch and the food and care she has received since being acquired (a few years ago). She would not have been able to produce the puppies if she hadn't been looked after since acquisition!
If the (net) proceeds are taxable is it to be "other income" or "trading income". If the latter should my friend have registered with HMRC and is he now liable to a £100 penalty?
If it is taxable, then there must be a lot of people out there evading tax!
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 662 5
- See you all on the other side 707 6
- 12Pay 471 2
- dividends 641 2
- R&D 333 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,193 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 443 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 427 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 382 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 551 5
- Seeking a tax case 655 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 513 4
- Companies house strike off 578 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 441 2
- Moving to the cloud 754 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 218 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 913 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 219 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,093 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 509 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 563
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 420
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 374
- IRIS and FRS 102 355
- Capitalising Finance Lease 328
- USA help 318
- Marginal rates of tax 309
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 307
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 295
- Class 2 NI 287