Are Proceeds from breeding puppies taxable?
A friend of mine has asked if he should declare the proceeds of sale (£4.5K) of a litter of thoroughbred puppies on his tax return and pay tax on them.
The bitch is a pet. No other dogs are kept. Fortunately (for him) there were no vet fees as his partner is a vet and performed her services for free.
If the proceeds are taxable, I assume that the puppy food will be allowable as an expense. But what about the cost of the bitch and the food and care she has received since being acquired (a few years ago). She would not have been able to produce the puppies if she hadn't been looked after since acquisition!
If the (net) proceeds are taxable is it to be "other income" or "trading income". If the latter should my friend have registered with HMRC and is he now liable to a £100 penalty?
If it is taxable, then there must be a lot of people out there evading tax!
- PPR election - what do you think? 214 7
- Starting an accountancy practice for bachelors? 90 3
- Comments on this scenario 104 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,630 67
- Penalties 110 1
- SAGE con 218 4
- rates of pay query 215 3
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 84 2
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 137 10
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 196 1
- Trading Structure / Illegal Trading 103 1
- Overpayment relief claim 152 5
- Charity reserves 130 3
- Have i messed up? 668 10
- Year end 361 4
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 217 3
- Related Parties Note 419 9
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 105 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 129 4
- loss on carbon credits 110 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,012
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 549
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 361
- Tax efficient holding company structure 288
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 276
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 214
- Charge out rates in London? 209
- Personal consumption by landlord 183
- Interest on Loan to a Company 174
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 150