Are Proceeds from breeding puppies taxable?
A friend of mine has asked if he should declare the proceeds of sale (£4.5K) of a litter of thoroughbred puppies on his tax return and pay tax on them.
The bitch is a pet. No other dogs are kept. Fortunately (for him) there were no vet fees as his partner is a vet and performed her services for free.
If the proceeds are taxable, I assume that the puppy food will be allowable as an expense. But what about the cost of the bitch and the food and care she has received since being acquired (a few years ago). She would not have been able to produce the puppies if she hadn't been looked after since acquisition!
If the (net) proceeds are taxable is it to be "other income" or "trading income". If the latter should my friend have registered with HMRC and is he now liable to a £100 penalty?
If it is taxable, then there must be a lot of people out there evading tax!
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 474 15
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,332 67
- Accountancy Career 220 2
- Estate agents - shared commission 63 1
- Managing Employee Expenses 22 1
- Tax credit deadline extended by a week 69 1
- MAAT vs ACCA 200 1
- What are options for non CA firm 2,986 64
- Is it possible to run/own a UK based business, as a resident of Italy? 43 1
- Small company audit 615 11
- Do I need a smartphone? 476 20
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 556 14
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 687 19
- OVERDRAWN DIRECTORS LOAN ACCOUNT!! 239 3
- West Bromich Albion 412 3
- P11D with no S336 - Code Change ? 117 3
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 98 2
- registering my UK Ltd in Holland 217 4
- Terminal / cessation loss relief against rental income 114 4
- inheritance tax 507 13
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 652
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 419
- Cancelled 413
- How not to compose an email 372
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 357
- Cancelled 351
- Probiz 320
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 305
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 232
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 209