Assignment of a short term lease out of freehold
Two years ago my client raised money against her business property which is used by the family limited company. A lease was apparently drawn up although my client has no real recollection of this and the solicitor is now no longer in business. I was not consulted on the transaction. I guess that the lease was requested by the bank.
Move forward two years and the client is now under enquiry. The SDLT form is in the hands of the HMRC officer.
Having done a land registry search it is apparent that there is a 20 year lease. No rent or premium changed hands.
The inspector has said that because the granting of the lease was not "by way of a bargain made at arms length" then the company is deemed to have acquired the lease at market value and paid the "appropriate premium".
His argument sounds logical. I assme that he is technically correct?
He also states that "none of the deemed premium will be chargeable to tax under schedule A and the whole of the deemed premium will be brought into the computation of the gain arising on the grant of the lease". I assume that this is correct?
Is it possible to assign a market value to the premium?
I assume that I will need to get a professional valuer involved?
It would be appreciated if anyone can point me in the right direction?
- Rental holiday in lieu of repairs 176 2
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,209 17
- Mixture of online and offline SA returns 272 5
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 420 6
- VAT - Medical Staff 167 2
- Vat on construction of residential property 1,126 13
- Really?! 849 10
- CIS 250 5
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,382 26
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 658 15
- VAT 701/49 query 233 2
- backpack 335 3
- Sage Line 50 Data conversion 196 3
- Bookkeeping question for Finance Lease payments 284 3
- Viewing folder contens en masse 354 8
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 200 3
- Tax relief on Enterprise Investment Scheme subscriptions 197 2
- Calculation of 10 year anniversary charge 203 1
- pension contribution annual allowance charge 168 1
- Dominant influence and intercompany loans 259 6
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 709
- 2015 tax year end 442
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 418
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 361
- Costly Accounting Software contract 317
- Directors' advances and credits 262
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 257
- DTA tie-breaker issue 239
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 224
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 204