Assignment of a short term lease out of freehold
Two years ago my client raised money against her business property which is used by the family limited company. A lease was apparently drawn up although my client has no real recollection of this and the solicitor is now no longer in business. I was not consulted on the transaction. I guess that the lease was requested by the bank.
Move forward two years and the client is now under enquiry. The SDLT form is in the hands of the HMRC officer.
Having done a land registry search it is apparent that there is a 20 year lease. No rent or premium changed hands.
The inspector has said that because the granting of the lease was not "by way of a bargain made at arms length" then the company is deemed to have acquired the lease at market value and paid the "appropriate premium".
His argument sounds logical. I assme that he is technically correct?
He also states that "none of the deemed premium will be chargeable to tax under schedule A and the whole of the deemed premium will be brought into the computation of the gain arising on the grant of the lease". I assume that this is correct?
Is it possible to assign a market value to the premium?
I assume that I will need to get a professional valuer involved?
It would be appreciated if anyone can point me in the right direction?
- BTC is slow 250 3
- Voluntary Disclosure 179 2
- Director registration for SA question 444 17
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 173 3
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 319 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 494 22
- valuation of vehicles 400 16
- Business only use of company car 688 26
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 507 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 316 4
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 949 29
- New Company reviews please 542 13
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 308 4
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 255 2
- VAT with Russia 223 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 234 4
- Money Laundering Manual 304 11
- cgt quoted shares losses 249 2
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,121 29
- directors loan 360 8
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 298
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 244
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 238
- Any thoughts on Capium? 229
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 217
- auto enrolment 187
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 177
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 157
- How to account for investment in JV? 150
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 148