Assignment of a short term lease out of freehold
Two years ago my client raised money against her business property which is used by the family limited company. A lease was apparently drawn up although my client has no real recollection of this and the solicitor is now no longer in business. I was not consulted on the transaction. I guess that the lease was requested by the bank.
Move forward two years and the client is now under enquiry. The SDLT form is in the hands of the HMRC officer.
Having done a land registry search it is apparent that there is a 20 year lease. No rent or premium changed hands.
The inspector has said that because the granting of the lease was not "by way of a bargain made at arms length" then the company is deemed to have acquired the lease at market value and paid the "appropriate premium".
His argument sounds logical. I assme that he is technically correct?
He also states that "none of the deemed premium will be chargeable to tax under schedule A and the whole of the deemed premium will be brought into the computation of the gain arising on the grant of the lease". I assume that this is correct?
Is it possible to assign a market value to the premium?
I assume that I will need to get a professional valuer involved?
It would be appreciated if anyone can point me in the right direction?
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,326 51
- Option to tax by two individuals "together" not as a Ltd company 55 2
- Directors exempt from AE? 404 8
- Cut-off accounting question 275 7
- Freehold management company 43 1
- account in joint names - gift? 152 3
- DIRECTOR LOAN ACCOUNT AND BALANCE 478 10
- HMRC site down ? 414 7
- exemptions from CIS 101 2
- Depreciation on purchase of software 409 7
- Class of Shares 178 4
- Contact at HMRC for agents 105 1
- Offshore bond assigned to UK discretionary trust 125 5
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 490 10
- What would you do? 579 5
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 602 23
- Auto Enrolment 186 4
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 223 8
- Volontaire International en Entreprise (VIE) 114 2
- statutory maternity pay 153 3
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 387
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 341
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 322
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 306
- Electric Car 260
- S222 Charge 224
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 222
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 208
- Company Structure 200
- How to treat NI and PAYE for overseas staff employed in UK? 170