Assignment of a short term lease out of freehold
Two years ago my client raised money against her business property which is used by the family limited company. A lease was apparently drawn up although my client has no real recollection of this and the solicitor is now no longer in business. I was not consulted on the transaction. I guess that the lease was requested by the bank.
Move forward two years and the client is now under enquiry. The SDLT form is in the hands of the HMRC officer.
Having done a land registry search it is apparent that there is a 20 year lease. No rent or premium changed hands.
The inspector has said that because the granting of the lease was not "by way of a bargain made at arms length" then the company is deemed to have acquired the lease at market value and paid the "appropriate premium".
His argument sounds logical. I assme that he is technically correct?
He also states that "none of the deemed premium will be chargeable to tax under schedule A and the whole of the deemed premium will be brought into the computation of the gain arising on the grant of the lease". I assume that this is correct?
Is it possible to assign a market value to the premium?
I assume that I will need to get a professional valuer involved?
It would be appreciated if anyone can point me in the right direction?
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 93 2
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 191 7
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 234 8
- Payroo Employer allowance query 240 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 358 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 114 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 173 2
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 298 5
- Comapny valuation qualifications 131 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 439 5
- Director's tax return 386 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 173 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,117 34
- Flat rate vat 215 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 188 5
- Coming in from the cold 371 3
- Splitting the tax year 183 2
- P11d & Medical Ins 217 2
- Should design costs be capitalised? 184 4
- Submitting tax return 223 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 813
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 562
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 430
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 311
- Free Tax Legislation? 285
- Director Loan account operation 264
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 254
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 252
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 233
- Paye procedures for CVA 171