Assignment of a short term lease out of freehold
Two years ago my client raised money against her business property which is used by the family limited company. A lease was apparently drawn up although my client has no real recollection of this and the solicitor is now no longer in business. I was not consulted on the transaction. I guess that the lease was requested by the bank.
Move forward two years and the client is now under enquiry. The SDLT form is in the hands of the HMRC officer.
Having done a land registry search it is apparent that there is a 20 year lease. No rent or premium changed hands.
The inspector has said that because the granting of the lease was not "by way of a bargain made at arms length" then the company is deemed to have acquired the lease at market value and paid the "appropriate premium".
His argument sounds logical. I assme that he is technically correct?
He also states that "none of the deemed premium will be chargeable to tax under schedule A and the whole of the deemed premium will be brought into the computation of the gain arising on the grant of the lease". I assume that this is correct?
Is it possible to assign a market value to the premium?
I assume that I will need to get a professional valuer involved?
It would be appreciated if anyone can point me in the right direction?
- CGT history of shares 175 4
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 136 5
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 169 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 331 6
- CGT on sale of let property 110 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 175 2
- how do i get UTR 137 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 85 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 234 3
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 409 11
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 127 1
- Your comments please 314 6
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 189 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 123 2
- EIS 196 4
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 128 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 114 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 125 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 725 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 203 1
- Moving away from CCH software 966
- QROP pension input amounts 450
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 395
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 380
- fraud 303
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 278
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 243
- Construction CIS LLP Company 228
- EPS and CIS deductions 221
- Out of time or not? 207