Assignment of a short term lease out of freehold
Two years ago my client raised money against her business property which is used by the family limited company. A lease was apparently drawn up although my client has no real recollection of this and the solicitor is now no longer in business. I was not consulted on the transaction. I guess that the lease was requested by the bank.
Move forward two years and the client is now under enquiry. The SDLT form is in the hands of the HMRC officer.
Having done a land registry search it is apparent that there is a 20 year lease. No rent or premium changed hands.
The inspector has said that because the granting of the lease was not "by way of a bargain made at arms length" then the company is deemed to have acquired the lease at market value and paid the "appropriate premium".
His argument sounds logical. I assme that he is technically correct?
He also states that "none of the deemed premium will be chargeable to tax under schedule A and the whole of the deemed premium will be brought into the computation of the gain arising on the grant of the lease". I assume that this is correct?
Is it possible to assign a market value to the premium?
I assume that I will need to get a professional valuer involved?
It would be appreciated if anyone can point me in the right direction?
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 232 3
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 113 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 173 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 174 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 820 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 534 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 694 13
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 301 16
- Personal pension 435 9
- Business rates consultancy 265 4
- Wrong tax code 177 6
- Benefit in Kind 257 5
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 90 2
- Am I getting Soft?? 289 10
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,058 31
- Deferred Tax 474 8
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 207 1
- You know its over 492 6
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 246 1
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 143 1
- Hive up 512
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 474
- corporate hierarchy 453
- Advice - 295
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 238
- WWOOFers 233
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 217
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 194
- The booking.com con 173
- UK State pension paid in NZ 165