Assignment of a short term lease out of freehold
Two years ago my client raised money against her business property which is used by the family limited company. A lease was apparently drawn up although my client has no real recollection of this and the solicitor is now no longer in business. I was not consulted on the transaction. I guess that the lease was requested by the bank.
Move forward two years and the client is now under enquiry. The SDLT form is in the hands of the HMRC officer.
Having done a land registry search it is apparent that there is a 20 year lease. No rent or premium changed hands.
The inspector has said that because the granting of the lease was not "by way of a bargain made at arms length" then the company is deemed to have acquired the lease at market value and paid the "appropriate premium".
His argument sounds logical. I assme that he is technically correct?
He also states that "none of the deemed premium will be chargeable to tax under schedule A and the whole of the deemed premium will be brought into the computation of the gain arising on the grant of the lease". I assume that this is correct?
Is it possible to assign a market value to the premium?
I assume that I will need to get a professional valuer involved?
It would be appreciated if anyone can point me in the right direction?
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 895 52
- Go Cardless 232 8
- business entertaining deductibility 85 1
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 747 17
- Self assessment tax arrears 82 2
- R & D 91 3
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 209 1
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 59 1
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 93 2
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 123 3
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 111 1
- New Business Registration 202 5
- Audit rules 131 3
- Hosted email exchange 117 4
- Excel formula for UK corporation tax including losses 131 1
- G P life time allowance 100 3
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 364 11
- Bringing money to Uk 204 3
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 114 1
- Accounting for investment club gains 105 2
- Xtuple 497
- Qtac payroll for bureau 332
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 276
- Industrial & Provident Societies 273
- Mehjoo 216
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 214
- New strategic report 168
- Domain name sale and limited company 154
- South African Government Pension 148
- CIS schemes 143