Assignment of a short term lease out of freehold
Two years ago my client raised money against her business property which is used by the family limited company. A lease was apparently drawn up although my client has no real recollection of this and the solicitor is now no longer in business. I was not consulted on the transaction. I guess that the lease was requested by the bank.
Move forward two years and the client is now under enquiry. The SDLT form is in the hands of the HMRC officer.
Having done a land registry search it is apparent that there is a 20 year lease. No rent or premium changed hands.
The inspector has said that because the granting of the lease was not "by way of a bargain made at arms length" then the company is deemed to have acquired the lease at market value and paid the "appropriate premium".
His argument sounds logical. I assme that he is technically correct?
He also states that "none of the deemed premium will be chargeable to tax under schedule A and the whole of the deemed premium will be brought into the computation of the gain arising on the grant of the lease". I assume that this is correct?
Is it possible to assign a market value to the premium?
I assume that I will need to get a professional valuer involved?
It would be appreciated if anyone can point me in the right direction?
- Solar Panel Income - Taxable? 178 2
- Value pricing 2,158 95
- Accountancy software for an imac 167 4
- Treatment of deferment duty in the correct accounting period 101 2
- CVA guidance 79 1
- LLP members share of profits 361 20
- SDLT on land 103 4
- Payroll Charging too much Tax? 219 2
- Can UK ACCA Practice prepare accounts for Indian company? 131 2
- why prior period posting will be single entry transaction and it wont have any balance transaction 219 3
- HMRC request for Sage Back Up 1,990 20
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 572 15
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 413 13
- PAYE Coding Notices 457 7
- March RTI Submission 139 1
- VT accounts licence key 547 9
- SDLT implications on an informal lease 85 1
- Renewable Heat Incentive Income - Taxable? 112 1
- VAT Option to tax 250 1
- From Ireland. Self-Employed or Foreign Income? 107 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 880
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 614
- Free Tax Legislation? 362
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 356
- Director Loan account operation 353
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 312
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 299
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 284
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 272
- Paye procedures for CVA 203