Assignment of a short term lease out of freehold
Two years ago my client raised money against her business property which is used by the family limited company. A lease was apparently drawn up although my client has no real recollection of this and the solicitor is now no longer in business. I was not consulted on the transaction. I guess that the lease was requested by the bank.
Move forward two years and the client is now under enquiry. The SDLT form is in the hands of the HMRC officer.
Having done a land registry search it is apparent that there is a 20 year lease. No rent or premium changed hands.
The inspector has said that because the granting of the lease was not "by way of a bargain made at arms length" then the company is deemed to have acquired the lease at market value and paid the "appropriate premium".
His argument sounds logical. I assme that he is technically correct?
He also states that "none of the deemed premium will be chargeable to tax under schedule A and the whole of the deemed premium will be brought into the computation of the gain arising on the grant of the lease". I assume that this is correct?
Is it possible to assign a market value to the premium?
I assume that I will need to get a professional valuer involved?
It would be appreciated if anyone can point me in the right direction?
- Seeking a tax case 281 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 193 4
- Companies house strike off 84 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 108 2
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 103 2
- Moving to the cloud 623 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 152 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 736 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 143 4
- BTC vs Digita 981 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 308 4
- See you all on the other side 254 5
- VATABLE Income 304 3
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 248 2
- Different Filing Dates - Help! 273 7
- What are we calling cloud now? 497 6
- P11D software 120 1
- Write off of loans FROM participators 535 9
- VAT - business splitting 240 3
- Income tax or Capital gains tax? 589 16
- HMRC Joint Filing 525
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 394
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 354
- IRIS and FRS 102 328
- Capitalising Finance Lease 294
- USA help 287
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 248
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 235
- Capital gains on rental property 229
- Sage Coretime 218