Assignment of a short term lease out of freehold
Two years ago my client raised money against her business property which is used by the family limited company. A lease was apparently drawn up although my client has no real recollection of this and the solicitor is now no longer in business. I was not consulted on the transaction. I guess that the lease was requested by the bank.
Move forward two years and the client is now under enquiry. The SDLT form is in the hands of the HMRC officer.
Having done a land registry search it is apparent that there is a 20 year lease. No rent or premium changed hands.
The inspector has said that because the granting of the lease was not "by way of a bargain made at arms length" then the company is deemed to have acquired the lease at market value and paid the "appropriate premium".
His argument sounds logical. I assme that he is technically correct?
He also states that "none of the deemed premium will be chargeable to tax under schedule A and the whole of the deemed premium will be brought into the computation of the gain arising on the grant of the lease". I assume that this is correct?
Is it possible to assign a market value to the premium?
I assume that I will need to get a professional valuer involved?
It would be appreciated if anyone can point me in the right direction?
- Cash injection by shareholder 91 3
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 264 8
- PRR 225 12
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 195 4
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,095 55
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 155 3
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,464 424
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 288 4
- corp tax software 346 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 439 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 463 7
- Which tax box 185 2
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 114 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 234 3
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 207 6
- References for clients 201 2
- Sole Trader - Working from home claims 147 2
- incorrect PAYE statements 119 2
- What accounting software packages are best for restaurants? 316 7
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 145 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,297
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 462
- National Insurance 360
- Non Resident 278
- Franchise income and costs 255
- Hands on experience of Digita 209
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 168
- Employer's Helpline 158
- employment capital allowances 150
- CIS paid under reg 9 140