Assignment of a short term lease out of freehold
Two years ago my client raised money against her business property which is used by the family limited company. A lease was apparently drawn up although my client has no real recollection of this and the solicitor is now no longer in business. I was not consulted on the transaction. I guess that the lease was requested by the bank.
Move forward two years and the client is now under enquiry. The SDLT form is in the hands of the HMRC officer.
Having done a land registry search it is apparent that there is a 20 year lease. No rent or premium changed hands.
The inspector has said that because the granting of the lease was not "by way of a bargain made at arms length" then the company is deemed to have acquired the lease at market value and paid the "appropriate premium".
His argument sounds logical. I assme that he is technically correct?
He also states that "none of the deemed premium will be chargeable to tax under schedule A and the whole of the deemed premium will be brought into the computation of the gain arising on the grant of the lease". I assume that this is correct?
Is it possible to assign a market value to the premium?
I assume that I will need to get a professional valuer involved?
It would be appreciated if anyone can point me in the right direction?
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 1,134 52
- Window Comb Binder Cover 146 3
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 79 1
- client can't/won't pay 383 13
- Help - Capital Allowance 145 6
- AIA 140 4
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 242 6
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 252 9
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 279 9
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,179 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 241 3
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 190 5
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 544 26
- HMRC SA software error? 144 2
- Plant & Machinery for commercial property 168 2
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 265 14
- Drive off and Wastage expenses - No supp doc 200 6
- Treatment of income for sole trader 170 2
- wave software 130 1
- Freelance software consultant 340 5
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 786
- Copy Wanted 500
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 456
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 453
- Latest phishing scam 287
- Entrepreneurs' relief 271
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 268
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 249
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 240
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 235