Assignment of a short term lease out of freehold
Two years ago my client raised money against her business property which is used by the family limited company. A lease was apparently drawn up although my client has no real recollection of this and the solicitor is now no longer in business. I was not consulted on the transaction. I guess that the lease was requested by the bank.
Move forward two years and the client is now under enquiry. The SDLT form is in the hands of the HMRC officer.
Having done a land registry search it is apparent that there is a 20 year lease. No rent or premium changed hands.
The inspector has said that because the granting of the lease was not "by way of a bargain made at arms length" then the company is deemed to have acquired the lease at market value and paid the "appropriate premium".
His argument sounds logical. I assme that he is technically correct?
He also states that "none of the deemed premium will be chargeable to tax under schedule A and the whole of the deemed premium will be brought into the computation of the gain arising on the grant of the lease". I assume that this is correct?
Is it possible to assign a market value to the premium?
I assume that I will need to get a professional valuer involved?
It would be appreciated if anyone can point me in the right direction?
- 27,000 Really? 121 7
- This is getting boring 166 6
- VAT - Recharge 164 6
- Employment Allowance 301 5
- Farm barn lettings 28 1
- Legal title not in the company name 427 15
- CIC Company 579 10
- transitioning payroll 302 9
- dividend proposals 213 5
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 286 4
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,885 61
- NALS Accountants Report 196 2
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,545 36
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 218 5
- Redundancy pay for directors? 550 14
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 921 19
- Opening Balances 127 1
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 232 2
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,416 21
- VAT online filing exemptions 337 4
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 627
- Cancelled 367
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 346
- Cancelled 316
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 291
- Probiz 277
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 246
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 238
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 208
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 180