Assignment of a short term lease out of freehold
Two years ago my client raised money against her business property which is used by the family limited company. A lease was apparently drawn up although my client has no real recollection of this and the solicitor is now no longer in business. I was not consulted on the transaction. I guess that the lease was requested by the bank.
Move forward two years and the client is now under enquiry. The SDLT form is in the hands of the HMRC officer.
Having done a land registry search it is apparent that there is a 20 year lease. No rent or premium changed hands.
The inspector has said that because the granting of the lease was not "by way of a bargain made at arms length" then the company is deemed to have acquired the lease at market value and paid the "appropriate premium".
His argument sounds logical. I assme that he is technically correct?
He also states that "none of the deemed premium will be chargeable to tax under schedule A and the whole of the deemed premium will be brought into the computation of the gain arising on the grant of the lease". I assume that this is correct?
Is it possible to assign a market value to the premium?
I assume that I will need to get a professional valuer involved?
It would be appreciated if anyone can point me in the right direction?
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 202 10
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 728 29
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 99 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 383 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 303 8
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 95 6
- Help with tax codes on Sage 219 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 131 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 234 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 126 4
- SA302's anyone?? 502 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,596 41
- Renting for military reasons 149 2
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,529 18
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 1,037 18
- Deed of variation on a will & effect on tax returns 110 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 126 1
- do i pay vat when buying a business 510 25
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,987 30
- Tax status of prizes 322 17
- Skandia using wrong address 1,614
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 895
- International interest certificate 507
- NOVA 366
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 281
- Bonus Bonds 258
- Management expenses for investment company 258
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 170
- tax on apprenticeship income 165
- P11D benefit received by widow 147