My mother receives Attendance Allowance. It is not a taxable benefit for her.
I have been her unpaid carer for some time, but she now wants to pass some of her Attendance Allowance money on to me. This is because my husband is currently out of work and she hoped that by giving me some money I would not need to increase the hours of my part time job to help cover his loss of salary. Nice thought.
Would this money count as part of my taxable income?
What has triggered her concern is that, no sooner had she decided she wanted to give me the money than she heard an item on the radio about pension credit. Apparently, if you apply for pension credit you must provide the National Insurance number of anyone you pass on your Attendance Allowance to. This made her think that HMRC would want to tax me on the money she gave me.
I have looked at various bits of information about the allowance, but this is one question that doesn't seem to be addressed anywhere.
If you know the answer and can give me the source I would be very grateful - and so would she.
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 493 16
- EC VAT 189 7
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 268 13
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 125 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,350 8
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 233 6
- VAT on part of a closed pub 229 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 47 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 268 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 522 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 815 19
- Flat rate vat error 293 6
- can I claim a per diem 227 4
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 143 3
- Linux Accounting Software 555 13
- RTI due -no broadband 139 1
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 473 12
- Shareholders selling shares to shareholders, how to account for it? 95 1
- Is Hold over relief available? 113 4
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 894 10
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 820
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 500
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 315
- How to format a stock book 279
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 224
- Tax efficient holding company structure 218
- Investment property company accounts template 213
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 207
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 179
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 177