Audit exemption for UK subsidiaries
My client is an American company with a UK subsidiary. It is not a parent company, nor is its ultimate parent listed. It clearly meets the size criteria for audit exemption as a standalone company, and qualifies to file abbreviated accounts.
I have spoken to some experienced auditors, and conventional wisdom seems to be that such a company does not require an audit. However, the Companies House guidance seems to suggest otherwise, or at best is ambiguous:
3. Are all types of small companies eligible for the exemption?
No. Audited accounts must be delivered to Companies House if the company falls into any of the following categories:
(a) A parent company or subsidiary undertaking (unless dormant for the period during which it was a subsidiary) except where:
* the group qualifies as a small group or would qualify if all the bodies corporate in the group were companies; and
* the turnover for the whole group is not more than £5.6 million net or £6.72 million gross; and
* the group's combined balance sheet total is not more than £2.8 million net (£3.36 million gross).
This appears to imply that in the case of a subsidiary company, one must consider the size of the group: the worldwide group would not be within the limits. The accepted wisdom that no audit is required presumably implies that only the size of the UK group need to be considered, but I am having difficulty in finding authority for that.
Can anyone help?
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 183 8
- OBK 542 18
- What type of Trust? 119 2
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 149 7
- Instant CPD offer 95 2
- cost of moving out for a few weeks 204 7
- Dividend in specie 89 2
- Investor exit 97 2
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 85 2
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 152 4
- Flat Rate Scheme - Joining date 73 1
- Auto-Enrolment 3,688 175
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,738 26
- Sage error message 146 2
- Partially exempt? 168 5
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 516 5
- Mileage claim 251 9
- Proof of Delivery 252 8
- What is 'an asset' for A/A+B CGT? 109 4
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 529 1
- Skandia using wrong address 462
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 269
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 261
- Employee rewards 255
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 216
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 207
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 207
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 190
- Etax Australian 164
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 151