Audit exemption for UK subsidiaries
My client is an American company with a UK subsidiary. It is not a parent company, nor is its ultimate parent listed. It clearly meets the size criteria for audit exemption as a standalone company, and qualifies to file abbreviated accounts.
I have spoken to some experienced auditors, and conventional wisdom seems to be that such a company does not require an audit. However, the Companies House guidance seems to suggest otherwise, or at best is ambiguous:
3. Are all types of small companies eligible for the exemption?
No. Audited accounts must be delivered to Companies House if the company falls into any of the following categories:
(a) A parent company or subsidiary undertaking (unless dormant for the period during which it was a subsidiary) except where:
* the group qualifies as a small group or would qualify if all the bodies corporate in the group were companies; and
* the turnover for the whole group is not more than £5.6 million net or £6.72 million gross; and
* the group's combined balance sheet total is not more than £2.8 million net (£3.36 million gross).
This appears to imply that in the case of a subsidiary company, one must consider the size of the group: the worldwide group would not be within the limits. The accepted wisdom that no audit is required presumably implies that only the size of the UK group need to be considered, but I am having difficulty in finding authority for that.
Can anyone help?
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,062 31
- incorrect old p60 327 7
- Reclaiming VAT on refurbishment cost? 221 3
- Missing tax return 333 4
- r there any crustie unemployed failed accounting clerks here ? 338 3
- Companies House paper incorporation - date of birth omission 141 2
- Inflation and fees 1,376 24
- Sage Priority Support 172 3
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 191 2
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 825 24
- Micro-entity accounts 215 1
- Related party disclosure 203 3
- Company reconstruction 136 1
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 232 6
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 148 3
- Basic Tools and PAYE succession 169 1
- Advice please! 415 2
- VAT on new builds 184 3
- CGT query on investment property sale 147 1
- Summarise excel cashbook by month 384 6