Audit exemption for UK subsidiaries
My client is an American company with a UK subsidiary. It is not a parent company, nor is its ultimate parent listed. It clearly meets the size criteria for audit exemption as a standalone company, and qualifies to file abbreviated accounts.
I have spoken to some experienced auditors, and conventional wisdom seems to be that such a company does not require an audit. However, the Companies House guidance seems to suggest otherwise, or at best is ambiguous:
3. Are all types of small companies eligible for the exemption?
No. Audited accounts must be delivered to Companies House if the company falls into any of the following categories:
(a) A parent company or subsidiary undertaking (unless dormant for the period during which it was a subsidiary) except where:
* the group qualifies as a small group or would qualify if all the bodies corporate in the group were companies; and
* the turnover for the whole group is not more than £5.6 million net or £6.72 million gross; and
* the group's combined balance sheet total is not more than £2.8 million net (£3.36 million gross).
This appears to imply that in the case of a subsidiary company, one must consider the size of the group: the worldwide group would not be within the limits. The accepted wisdom that no audit is required presumably implies that only the size of the UK group need to be considered, but I am having difficulty in finding authority for that.
Can anyone help?
- Sole Trader to Ltd 99 1
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 424 13
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 614 8
- VT accounts licence key 366 6
- Starting up in practice - safety net 419 9
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 490 10
- Opening balances Sage 50 49 1
- Flat rate vat 328 4
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 236 6
- Rental property company 182 2
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 177 2
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,476 27
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,207 35
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 412 11
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 320 4
- Payroo Employer allowance query 290 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 411 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 242 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 220 2
- Comapny valuation qualifications 170 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 832
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 576
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 449
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 323
- Free Tax Legislation? 302
- Director Loan account operation 284
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 270
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 262
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 244
- Paye procedures for CVA 184