Audit exemption for UK subsidiaries
My client is an American company with a UK subsidiary. It is not a parent company, nor is its ultimate parent listed. It clearly meets the size criteria for audit exemption as a standalone company, and qualifies to file abbreviated accounts.
I have spoken to some experienced auditors, and conventional wisdom seems to be that such a company does not require an audit. However, the Companies House guidance seems to suggest otherwise, or at best is ambiguous:
3. Are all types of small companies eligible for the exemption?
No. Audited accounts must be delivered to Companies House if the company falls into any of the following categories:
(a) A parent company or subsidiary undertaking (unless dormant for the period during which it was a subsidiary) except where:
* the group qualifies as a small group or would qualify if all the bodies corporate in the group were companies; and
* the turnover for the whole group is not more than £5.6 million net or £6.72 million gross; and
* the group's combined balance sheet total is not more than £2.8 million net (£3.36 million gross).
This appears to imply that in the case of a subsidiary company, one must consider the size of the group: the worldwide group would not be within the limits. The accepted wisdom that no audit is required presumably implies that only the size of the UK group need to be considered, but I am having difficulty in finding authority for that.
Can anyone help?
- jury service 98 2
- Late submission of 2008 Tax Return 25 2
- Charge out rates in London? 253 1
- Giving a seminar 84 5
- Related Parties Note 928 11
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 134 3
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 312 7
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,920 74
- Disposal of property 139 3
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,695 50
- Property scam victim 351 7
- 10 year debentures and CT 75 2
- Are HMRC getting it right? 453 9
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 304 11
- Shareholder agreement issues on development 64 1
- Tasks for new trainees 215 5
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 842 19
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 604 16
- Rental Property on Self Assessment 134 2
- Partnership returns software 121 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,105
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 581
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 387
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 292
- Interest on Loan to a Company 194
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 176
- Agent fees to sell business 168
- Alphabet shares 164
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 158
- Residency 91 day rule 144