Audit exemption for UK subsidiaries
My client is an American company with a UK subsidiary. It is not a parent company, nor is its ultimate parent listed. It clearly meets the size criteria for audit exemption as a standalone company, and qualifies to file abbreviated accounts.
I have spoken to some experienced auditors, and conventional wisdom seems to be that such a company does not require an audit. However, the Companies House guidance seems to suggest otherwise, or at best is ambiguous:
3. Are all types of small companies eligible for the exemption?
No. Audited accounts must be delivered to Companies House if the company falls into any of the following categories:
(a) A parent company or subsidiary undertaking (unless dormant for the period during which it was a subsidiary) except where:
* the group qualifies as a small group or would qualify if all the bodies corporate in the group were companies; and
* the turnover for the whole group is not more than £5.6 million net or £6.72 million gross; and
* the group's combined balance sheet total is not more than £2.8 million net (£3.36 million gross).
This appears to imply that in the case of a subsidiary company, one must consider the size of the group: the worldwide group would not be within the limits. The accepted wisdom that no audit is required presumably implies that only the size of the UK group need to be considered, but I am having difficulty in finding authority for that.
Can anyone help?
- Client forgot to sign paper return and has gone on holidays 427 14
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 729 27
- Company dividends 780 28
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 72 4
- how much to charge 162 5
- Warning! Cannot pay SA tax at Post Office 804 22
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 1,375 51
- Virus Alert - VERY realistic aimed at acountants 290 4
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 221 9
- White van man 962 28
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 76 3
- Charities and VAT 56 3
- How to value a business asset? 201 5
- FHL Expenses 78 2
- Has anyone experience of BPRA? 92 2
- Do I pay VAT back to employer for my training?? 214 5
- FYAs on second-hand vans 136 5
- VAT Margin Schemes 100 1
- Anybody received an Employer Payment Booklet for 2015-2016? 147 4
- Investment from Friend 302 11
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 896
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 591
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 562
- Latest phishing scam 508
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 365
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 335
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 267
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 186
- Capital allowances in first basis period 169
- Sabbatical payments 167