Audit exemption for UK subsidiaries
My client is an American company with a UK subsidiary. It is not a parent company, nor is its ultimate parent listed. It clearly meets the size criteria for audit exemption as a standalone company, and qualifies to file abbreviated accounts.
I have spoken to some experienced auditors, and conventional wisdom seems to be that such a company does not require an audit. However, the Companies House guidance seems to suggest otherwise, or at best is ambiguous:
3. Are all types of small companies eligible for the exemption?
No. Audited accounts must be delivered to Companies House if the company falls into any of the following categories:
(a) A parent company or subsidiary undertaking (unless dormant for the period during which it was a subsidiary) except where:
* the group qualifies as a small group or would qualify if all the bodies corporate in the group were companies; and
* the turnover for the whole group is not more than £5.6 million net or £6.72 million gross; and
* the group's combined balance sheet total is not more than £2.8 million net (£3.36 million gross).
This appears to imply that in the case of a subsidiary company, one must consider the size of the group: the worldwide group would not be within the limits. The accepted wisdom that no audit is required presumably implies that only the size of the UK group need to be considered, but I am having difficulty in finding authority for that.
Can anyone help?
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 1,235 23
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,276 370
- 100% Xero practice 2,267 42
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 93 1
- Why Shoebuy Coupon Shopping Made Easy With These Expert Tips? 250 6
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 162 6
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 105 1
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 113 3
- Scottish but not UK 306 9
- Pension Contributions Relief 281 10
- Should he transfer the Van into the company ? 105 1
- What is the role of an accountant? 450 13
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 262 1
- P11D Query 150 4
- Out of Date Returns, CIS and Determination 82 3
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,326 25
- Company Accounts 439 8
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 98 2
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 292 7
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 197 4
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,220
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 429
- National Insurance 329
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 322
- Non Resident 252
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 250
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 241
- Franchise income and costs 219
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 154
- Hands on experience of Digita 152