Audit exemption for UK subsidiaries
My client is an American company with a UK subsidiary. It is not a parent company, nor is its ultimate parent listed. It clearly meets the size criteria for audit exemption as a standalone company, and qualifies to file abbreviated accounts.
I have spoken to some experienced auditors, and conventional wisdom seems to be that such a company does not require an audit. However, the Companies House guidance seems to suggest otherwise, or at best is ambiguous:
3. Are all types of small companies eligible for the exemption?
No. Audited accounts must be delivered to Companies House if the company falls into any of the following categories:
(a) A parent company or subsidiary undertaking (unless dormant for the period during which it was a subsidiary) except where:
* the group qualifies as a small group or would qualify if all the bodies corporate in the group were companies; and
* the turnover for the whole group is not more than £5.6 million net or £6.72 million gross; and
* the group's combined balance sheet total is not more than £2.8 million net (£3.36 million gross).
This appears to imply that in the case of a subsidiary company, one must consider the size of the group: the worldwide group would not be within the limits. The accepted wisdom that no audit is required presumably implies that only the size of the UK group need to be considered, but I am having difficulty in finding authority for that.
Can anyone help?
- Taxfiler V's BTC 881 34
- Transactions between Associated Companies 89 1
- Know it alls (who don't) 1,072 20
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 468 18
- I.d for vat registration 254 10
- Directors loan accounts 344 8
- Bookkeping software 887 9
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 279 6
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 275 9
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 244 4
- Contingent Liability - Copyright Dispute - Disclosure ? 226 6
- Auto Enrolment set up 337 2
- SA302's anyone?? 2,815 42
- VAT return - Box 7 & 9 Vat cash accounting 110 2
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 142 6
- Expense receipt from previous quarter not included in VAT return 179 3
- Employed clients and expenses 780 13
- FRS 102 Fair Value v open market value 123 2
- Quickbooks 2015 188 1
- Sage reporting 131 4
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,017
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 531
- NOVA 483
- Bonus Bonds 370
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 352
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 269
- Payment for Promotional Samples 239
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 236
- Friendly Pensions 167
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 155