Audit exemption for UK subsidiaries
My client is an American company with a UK subsidiary. It is not a parent company, nor is its ultimate parent listed. It clearly meets the size criteria for audit exemption as a standalone company, and qualifies to file abbreviated accounts.
I have spoken to some experienced auditors, and conventional wisdom seems to be that such a company does not require an audit. However, the Companies House guidance seems to suggest otherwise, or at best is ambiguous:
3. Are all types of small companies eligible for the exemption?
No. Audited accounts must be delivered to Companies House if the company falls into any of the following categories:
(a) A parent company or subsidiary undertaking (unless dormant for the period during which it was a subsidiary) except where:
* the group qualifies as a small group or would qualify if all the bodies corporate in the group were companies; and
* the turnover for the whole group is not more than £5.6 million net or £6.72 million gross; and
* the group's combined balance sheet total is not more than £2.8 million net (£3.36 million gross).
This appears to imply that in the case of a subsidiary company, one must consider the size of the group: the worldwide group would not be within the limits. The accepted wisdom that no audit is required presumably implies that only the size of the UK group need to be considered, but I am having difficulty in finding authority for that.
Can anyone help?
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 1,003 18
- Creative Auto Enrolment 573 8
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,714 38
- Tax Fines - HMRC 874 15
- Can an owner hold company money 319 6
- Account and Taxable Profit 316 17
- Accounting for corporation tax 236 6
- Class 2 NIC 281 5
- Probate services 428 9
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 394 7
- Vat payable on van 173 1
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,835 42
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 246 7
- Community Faux Pas 933 26
- Cash gift from India 152 1
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,314 40
- Windows10 208 4
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 627 24
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 481 25
- A thursday afternoon muse 248 2
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 838
- Benchmark accounting software 692
- Members in Public Practice 515
- Sole trader registering for the first time 328
- Oplex Careers CPD 322
- What are HMRC implying? 307
- VAT 258
- My own & spouse's Irish returns & ROS 248
- Payroll manager and the cloud 220
- Is the APN valid 196