Audit exemption for UK subsidiaries
My client is an American company with a UK subsidiary. It is not a parent company, nor is its ultimate parent listed. It clearly meets the size criteria for audit exemption as a standalone company, and qualifies to file abbreviated accounts.
I have spoken to some experienced auditors, and conventional wisdom seems to be that such a company does not require an audit. However, the Companies House guidance seems to suggest otherwise, or at best is ambiguous:
3. Are all types of small companies eligible for the exemption?
No. Audited accounts must be delivered to Companies House if the company falls into any of the following categories:
(a) A parent company or subsidiary undertaking (unless dormant for the period during which it was a subsidiary) except where:
* the group qualifies as a small group or would qualify if all the bodies corporate in the group were companies; and
* the turnover for the whole group is not more than £5.6 million net or £6.72 million gross; and
* the group's combined balance sheet total is not more than £2.8 million net (£3.36 million gross).
This appears to imply that in the case of a subsidiary company, one must consider the size of the group: the worldwide group would not be within the limits. The accepted wisdom that no audit is required presumably implies that only the size of the UK group need to be considered, but I am having difficulty in finding authority for that.
Can anyone help?
- Commission on holiday accrual 42 1
- error on companies house accounts 88 4
- Newly Started Practice 154 5
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 150 2
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 178 4
- HMRC computer behind the times 179 3
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 63 2
- Benefit in kind calc, s.160 ITEPA 85 1
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 340 6
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 219 6
- Overtime etc for PT employees 162 2
- Generic Notification Notices 118 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 441 5
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 111 1
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 431 5
- RTI lost some data on laptop packing up!! 82 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 242 4
- Does This Company Need To File A Tax Return 143 1
- fraud 414 1
- Optimum salary for directors appointed part way through the year 238 3
- QROP pension input amounts 474
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 438
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 413
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 263
- EPS and CIS deductions 259
- Construction CIS LLP Company 245
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 212
- SAGE winforecast 178
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 170
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 165