Audit exemption for UK subsidiaries
My client is an American company with a UK subsidiary. It is not a parent company, nor is its ultimate parent listed. It clearly meets the size criteria for audit exemption as a standalone company, and qualifies to file abbreviated accounts.
I have spoken to some experienced auditors, and conventional wisdom seems to be that such a company does not require an audit. However, the Companies House guidance seems to suggest otherwise, or at best is ambiguous:
3. Are all types of small companies eligible for the exemption?
No. Audited accounts must be delivered to Companies House if the company falls into any of the following categories:
(a) A parent company or subsidiary undertaking (unless dormant for the period during which it was a subsidiary) except where:
* the group qualifies as a small group or would qualify if all the bodies corporate in the group were companies; and
* the turnover for the whole group is not more than £5.6 million net or £6.72 million gross; and
* the group's combined balance sheet total is not more than £2.8 million net (£3.36 million gross).
This appears to imply that in the case of a subsidiary company, one must consider the size of the group: the worldwide group would not be within the limits. The accepted wisdom that no audit is required presumably implies that only the size of the UK group need to be considered, but I am having difficulty in finding authority for that.
Can anyone help?
- Not a good start no broadband 383 9
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,167 30
- Supplier refund treatment in Sage Line 50 147 2
- Question regarding gym training 304 5
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 946 16
- Sage Starting Again As Records are in a mess 106 2
- CIS Deductions 217 1
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 110 2
- is this fraud? 615 11
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,335 27
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 406 8
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 630 10
- Property initial recognition 147 2
- P11D Dispensation 224 3
- CPD 123 1
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 430 7
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 152 1
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 194 4
- Directors Subsistence 402 3
- Gong round in Circles with CT600 219 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 569
- Cancelled 339
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 327
- Cancelled 280
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 248
- Probiz 229
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 170
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 170
- Car leasing scheme 161
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 149