Audit exemption for UK subsidiaries
My client is an American company with a UK subsidiary. It is not a parent company, nor is its ultimate parent listed. It clearly meets the size criteria for audit exemption as a standalone company, and qualifies to file abbreviated accounts.
I have spoken to some experienced auditors, and conventional wisdom seems to be that such a company does not require an audit. However, the Companies House guidance seems to suggest otherwise, or at best is ambiguous:
3. Are all types of small companies eligible for the exemption?
No. Audited accounts must be delivered to Companies House if the company falls into any of the following categories:
(a) A parent company or subsidiary undertaking (unless dormant for the period during which it was a subsidiary) except where:
* the group qualifies as a small group or would qualify if all the bodies corporate in the group were companies; and
* the turnover for the whole group is not more than £5.6 million net or £6.72 million gross; and
* the group's combined balance sheet total is not more than £2.8 million net (£3.36 million gross).
This appears to imply that in the case of a subsidiary company, one must consider the size of the group: the worldwide group would not be within the limits. The accepted wisdom that no audit is required presumably implies that only the size of the UK group need to be considered, but I am having difficulty in finding authority for that.
Can anyone help?
- Claiming VAT on car lease 232 17
- Is it just me ... 73 4
- CIS registration when already registered for PAYE 49 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 77 4
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 296 10
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 99 1
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 198 1
- Directors exempt from AE? 1,403 18
- R&D - HMRC Manual 83 2
- Impairment in value of subsidiary - allowable? 345 14
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 248 5
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,136 27
- How to network with other Accountants? 582 3
- Any reasons for a dissolved company to comply with HMRC requesting Corporation Tax and Tax Returns 532 21
- Advice for new build property 116 3
- Should training costs being reclaimed be deducted from gross or net salary 293 5
- VAT FRS for a Formula 2 Racing Driver 291 8
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 233 3
- Claiming accommodation as employment expense? 161 1
- Sage Line 50 110 2
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 737
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 402
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 349
- Electric Car 286
- S222 Charge 233
- IP trans to holding company 181
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 173
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 165
- AIA 160
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 153