Bank account left out of Limited Company Accounts
I may well be one of those annoying book-keepers on the other thread...
My friend has showed me her accounts from last year (prepared by a Chartered firm) and this years books (written up by herself, checked by me as I am a book-keeper).
Despite having £3k in debtors at the end of last year and around £16k in the company bank account there is no mention of either on the Balance sheet. The 'cash at bank' figure is only the sum of tax owed plus the accountancy bill plus the shareholding. Is this ok? I was under the impression that the Balance sheet should show a picture of the company's assets at a given moment in time - I have asked the accountant for journals and a bank reconciliation and they tell me they never prepared any. I studied accountancy years ago and this is very different to what I remember! Her dividends recorded are only the amounts that she actually took from the bank during the year so they have not been accounted for "in advance".
I don't want to worry her if I have the wrong end of the stick but shouldn't the Balance sheet state what is in the account at the year end (give or take the debtors and creditors)?
Thanks for anyone who can offer an opinion...
- Non domicile swiss bank 8 1
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 369 9
- Accounting for Film Rights 97 4
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 181 2
- Advice needed for Annual Accounting Period - companies house 157 7
- Relevant life plan 61 2
- Freehold Property Depreciation 300 13
- Limited Company expenses 176 6
- How best to declare a mistake on a tax return by previous agent 265 3
- Pylon compensation - what am I missing? 251 5
- Claiming VAT without invoice 177 3
- Software recommendations? 216 3
- UK taxation of income from property in Cyprus 108 2
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 317 3
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 547 16
- Shares paid - petty cash 207 4
- Is an ex-gratia payment to a company taxable 156 5
- Charity accounting 178 5
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 626 1
- client issues 811 5
- Possible Partnership? 570
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 489
- New Fangled Penalties 373
- Clubs and Taxable Income 306
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 282
- Loans to other companies 229
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 225
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 195
- Outsource Data Entry 186
- Moving away from CCH software 167