Bank account left out of Limited Company Accounts
I may well be one of those annoying book-keepers on the other thread...
My friend has showed me her accounts from last year (prepared by a Chartered firm) and this years books (written up by herself, checked by me as I am a book-keeper).
Despite having £3k in debtors at the end of last year and around £16k in the company bank account there is no mention of either on the Balance sheet. The 'cash at bank' figure is only the sum of tax owed plus the accountancy bill plus the shareholding. Is this ok? I was under the impression that the Balance sheet should show a picture of the company's assets at a given moment in time - I have asked the accountant for journals and a bank reconciliation and they tell me they never prepared any. I studied accountancy years ago and this is very different to what I remember! Her dividends recorded are only the amounts that she actually took from the bank during the year so they have not been accounted for "in advance".
I don't want to worry her if I have the wrong end of the stick but shouldn't the Balance sheet state what is in the account at the year end (give or take the debtors and creditors)?
Thanks for anyone who can offer an opinion...
- Entrepreneur's Relief - Disposal over a period of time 176 3
- Late RTI filing re SMP 114 3
- Self Help Accountancy Book for Client 167 3
- VAT registration on digital services supplied outside UK within EU 104 6
- Additional information attached to accounts 197 2
- CIS Software 124 1
- Company assets 369 16
- Can anyone recommend a fax send/receive service which I can use via email? 228 6
- MoneySoft 179 2
- Best way to advise a limited company client 92 1
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 663 10
- Payroll cessation and missing overtime 149 2
- Self assessment 157 1
- Claiming VAT 144 2
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 1,127 15
- VAT on Acquisitions and Exempt Supplier 179 4
- Corporation tax on gains from one company to another 281 10
- HMRC website & Adobe Reader 279 5
- Basis period (2nd yr) for a partnership, please any suggestions would be really helpful 158 1
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 517 9
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 506
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 481
- Is there anything wrong with this? 282
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 269
- Uncommercial property business 247
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 206
- Registering online CWF1 187
- VAT - registration needed? 184
- Accrued income scheme 183
- Zoho software in small accounting and bookkeeping practice 182