Bank account left out of Limited Company Accounts
I may well be one of those annoying book-keepers on the other thread...
My friend has showed me her accounts from last year (prepared by a Chartered firm) and this years books (written up by herself, checked by me as I am a book-keeper).
Despite having £3k in debtors at the end of last year and around £16k in the company bank account there is no mention of either on the Balance sheet. The 'cash at bank' figure is only the sum of tax owed plus the accountancy bill plus the shareholding. Is this ok? I was under the impression that the Balance sheet should show a picture of the company's assets at a given moment in time - I have asked the accountant for journals and a bank reconciliation and they tell me they never prepared any. I studied accountancy years ago and this is very different to what I remember! Her dividends recorded are only the amounts that she actually took from the bank during the year so they have not been accounted for "in advance".
I don't want to worry her if I have the wrong end of the stick but shouldn't the Balance sheet state what is in the account at the year end (give or take the debtors and creditors)?
Thanks for anyone who can offer an opinion...
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 135 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 531 11
- Which software for practice books? 522 20
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 276 8
- Related Parties Note 549 10
- Dazed & confused 330 5
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,740 71
- Law Shipping/Odeon related question 101 2
- Goerge fixes PAs for long period 118 2
- Are HMRC getting it right? 280 7
- trading or dormant 239 6
- Is Hold over relief available? 183 6
- Payroll Liabilities 97 2
- SAGE con 289 6
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 127 4
- Charity reserves 202 5
- Part-time work - advice please? 124 2
- Aggressive HMRC 1,659 18
- Starting an accountancy practice for bachelors? 308 5
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 166 12
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,038
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 563
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 370
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 279
- Charge out rates in London? 218
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 217
- Personal consumption by landlord 186
- Interest on Loan to a Company 176
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 153
- Agent fees to sell business 149