Bank account left out of Limited Company Accounts
I may well be one of those annoying book-keepers on the other thread...
My friend has showed me her accounts from last year (prepared by a Chartered firm) and this years books (written up by herself, checked by me as I am a book-keeper).
Despite having £3k in debtors at the end of last year and around £16k in the company bank account there is no mention of either on the Balance sheet. The 'cash at bank' figure is only the sum of tax owed plus the accountancy bill plus the shareholding. Is this ok? I was under the impression that the Balance sheet should show a picture of the company's assets at a given moment in time - I have asked the accountant for journals and a bank reconciliation and they tell me they never prepared any. I studied accountancy years ago and this is very different to what I remember! Her dividends recorded are only the amounts that she actually took from the bank during the year so they have not been accounted for "in advance".
I don't want to worry her if I have the wrong end of the stick but shouldn't the Balance sheet state what is in the account at the year end (give or take the debtors and creditors)?
Thanks for anyone who can offer an opinion...
- Help with CGT please 23 2
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 308 17
- Will I need to resign? 912 11
- Cocaine anyone? 646 11
- Lack of VAT Receipt 63 1
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 248 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 130 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 182 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 175 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 832 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 539 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 704 13
- Personal pension 441 9
- Business rates consultancy 268 4
- Wrong tax code 180 6
- Benefit in Kind 265 5
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 97 2
- Am I getting Soft?? 309 10
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,063 31
- Deferred Tax 476 8
- Hive up 513
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 474
- corporate hierarchy 453
- Advice - 297
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 240
- WWOOFers 235
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 217
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 195
- The booking.com con 178
- UK State pension paid in NZ 167