Bankruptcy or agreed offer to Inland Revenue
My client, due to personal problems, has only just got round to filing the last 5 year tax returns! The IR has started to threaten bankruptcy over the estimated debt of £52K. The actual debt outstanding following the submission of all returns is now £8.5k.
We have contacted the Revenue to try to put a stop to the bankruptcy and come to some arrangement over the outstanding debt. He cannot afford to pay it all now and has no assets.
The Revenue has asked him to put an offer in writing for them to consider.
Does anyone know what a reasonable offer is bearing in mind he currently has very little work. My client has suggested £500 per month but my feeling is that is too low.
Any comments would be appreciated.
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 754 30
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 170 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 121 7
- General tax book with planning 90 1
- Gift of property & improvements 74 1
- VAT Invoice 46 2
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 228 10
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 115 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 409 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 332 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 232 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 151 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 248 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 147 4
- SA302's anyone?? 515 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,621 41
- Renting for military reasons 169 2
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,559 18
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 1,042 18
- Deed of variation on a will & effect on tax returns 124 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,616
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 896
- International interest certificate 508
- NOVA 367
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 288
- Management expenses for investment company 261
- Bonus Bonds 259
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 170
- tax on apprenticeship income 166
- P11D benefit received by widow 147