Bankruptcy or agreed offer to Inland Revenue
My client, due to personal problems, has only just got round to filing the last 5 year tax returns! The IR has started to threaten bankruptcy over the estimated debt of £52K. The actual debt outstanding following the submission of all returns is now £8.5k.
We have contacted the Revenue to try to put a stop to the bankruptcy and come to some arrangement over the outstanding debt. He cannot afford to pay it all now and has no assets.
The Revenue has asked him to put an offer in writing for them to consider.
Does anyone know what a reasonable offer is bearing in mind he currently has very little work. My client has suggested £500 per month but my feeling is that is too low.
Any comments would be appreciated.
- Closing my business down 72 4
- What do you all do in your spare time? 842 34
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 274 6
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 271 4
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 191 6
- Director - earning less than £8500 and no taxable benefits - PllD? 100 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 587 12
- Scams are not always obvious 2,240 36
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,466 21
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 189 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 104 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 289 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 87 1
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,092 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 412 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 151 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 222 3
- FPS or EPS 169 2
- Continuity of Practice 220 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 144 2
- Moving away from CCH software 953
- QROP pension input amounts 440
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 382
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 357
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 325
- fraud 284
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 259
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 228
- Construction CIS LLP Company 212
- EPS and CIS deductions 200