Bankruptcy or agreed offer to Inland Revenue
My client, due to personal problems, has only just got round to filing the last 5 year tax returns! The IR has started to threaten bankruptcy over the estimated debt of £52K. The actual debt outstanding following the submission of all returns is now £8.5k.
We have contacted the Revenue to try to put a stop to the bankruptcy and come to some arrangement over the outstanding debt. He cannot afford to pay it all now and has no assets.
The Revenue has asked him to put an offer in writing for them to consider.
Does anyone know what a reasonable offer is bearing in mind he currently has very little work. My client has suggested £500 per month but my feeling is that is too low.
Any comments would be appreciated.
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 204 7
- Any point writing to HMRC to appeal against self assessment penalties ? 37 1
- Dividend payment date 1,889 33
- Hollyoaks cast - changes due to Social Security Regulations 2,714 18
- Garage Conversion -Ltd Company Office 133 2
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 138 5
- Director hired as an individual 83 2
- Real names 541 20
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 109 2
- Company Secretarial Software 1,289 27
- Agricultural Land Hold Over and Roll Over 98 2
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 215 2
- Tax relief on licence costs 125 1
- Who owns the data 238 3
- Clarification over - VAT Box 8 - Flat rate scheme 166 5
- Sole Trader Fees 123 1
- Loan interest rental property 197 5
- Theatre as charitable company 54 1
- Peer to Peer lending 147 5
- What's the plural? 683 14
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 569
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 434
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 337
- IFA incorporation 315
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 301
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 297
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 252
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 240
- Sorry ignore me 235
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 234