Bankruptcy or agreed offer to Inland Revenue
My client, due to personal problems, has only just got round to filing the last 5 year tax returns! The IR has started to threaten bankruptcy over the estimated debt of £52K. The actual debt outstanding following the submission of all returns is now £8.5k.
We have contacted the Revenue to try to put a stop to the bankruptcy and come to some arrangement over the outstanding debt. He cannot afford to pay it all now and has no assets.
The Revenue has asked him to put an offer in writing for them to consider.
Does anyone know what a reasonable offer is bearing in mind he currently has very little work. My client has suggested £500 per month but my feeling is that is too low.
Any comments would be appreciated.
- Electric Vehicle company car battery rental - how is it taxed? 13 1
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 605 15
- Regular Director bonus 409 11
- Careers advice - is it worth moving from an SME to a corporate? 116 1
- Registration as self-employed 52 1
- BrightPay 1,082 35
- HMRC Summons for £14k 484 7
- SA REFUND; DEFRAUDED BY UNKNOWN PARTY 277 5
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 1,057 17
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 913 13
- BIK for an electric car 147 2
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,610 90
- Corporation Tax Software 363 10
- How do I save face? 2,273 14
- Goodie bag 3,051 72
- US Pensions and Renunciation of Citizenship 106 1
- How many associated companies 185 2
- Signed accounts for a lender 446 17
- can I approach clients ? 935 11
- Secure document exchange 589 6
- Possible Partnership? 681
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 532
- Fuming! 502
- New Fangled Penalties 465
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 330
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 271
- Moving away from CCH software 261
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 251
- Outsource Data Entry 250
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 204