Bankruptcy or agreed offer to Inland Revenue
My client, due to personal problems, has only just got round to filing the last 5 year tax returns! The IR has started to threaten bankruptcy over the estimated debt of £52K. The actual debt outstanding following the submission of all returns is now £8.5k.
We have contacted the Revenue to try to put a stop to the bankruptcy and come to some arrangement over the outstanding debt. He cannot afford to pay it all now and has no assets.
The Revenue has asked him to put an offer in writing for them to consider.
Does anyone know what a reasonable offer is bearing in mind he currently has very little work. My client has suggested £500 per month but my feeling is that is too low.
Any comments would be appreciated.
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,350 38
- supply teachers working through Ltd co 72 1
- Hold on a minute (pun intended) 1,209 10
- The importance of Grammar 1,291 38
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 110 3
- Profit split from an investment property 134 5
- VAT - How hard is it? 694 25
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 93 1
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 263 6
- tax saving on card points 229 6
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 910 14
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 250 9
- Scissors 862 24
- AIA for a Van, Self Employed 434 6
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 445 10
- Directors exempt from AE? 236 6
- Availability of Tax Relief on Expenses incurred for Voluntary Work Overseas 116 2
- Xero Pain Points 496 17
- DIRECTOR LOAN ACCOUNT AND BALANCE 338 8
- VAT and Groups 83 2
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 370
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 321
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 306
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 295
- Electric Car 249
- S222 Charge 217
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 214
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 200
- Company Structure 194
- VAT and customer entertaining 175