Bankruptcy or agreed offer to Inland Revenue
My client, due to personal problems, has only just got round to filing the last 5 year tax returns! The IR has started to threaten bankruptcy over the estimated debt of £52K. The actual debt outstanding following the submission of all returns is now £8.5k.
We have contacted the Revenue to try to put a stop to the bankruptcy and come to some arrangement over the outstanding debt. He cannot afford to pay it all now and has no assets.
The Revenue has asked him to put an offer in writing for them to consider.
Does anyone know what a reasonable offer is bearing in mind he currently has very little work. My client has suggested £500 per month but my feeling is that is too low.
Any comments would be appreciated.
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 660 14
- Tax position re this lease? 286 4
- Managing Employee Expenses 150 6
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 26 1
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,647 60
- inheritance tax 543 14
- donations to school via self employed business (registered charity) 135 5
- HMRC Agents Line 32 1
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 37 1
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 180 10
- pension paid by company? 255 6
- Do I need a smartphone? 591 21
- Charity work 160 8
- SA Agent's Priority Line 118 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 770 24
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 248 3
- Company Director In Prison 304 7
- MAAT vs ACCA 390 7
- Credit card receipts vs VAT receipts 2,102 28
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 142 5
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 668
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 487
- Cancelled 419
- Cancelled 360
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 359
- Probiz 332
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 320
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 241
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 212
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 192