Bookkeeping - can I withhold records until I am paid
I am a self employed bookkeeper and one of my long term clients has recently informed me that he has changed his accountants and that they will also be doing his bookkeeping from now on. We have had a relaxed working relationship whereby, because I knew of his cash flow problems, I did not chase my money and he would pay lump sums when he could. Unfortunately he now owes me just under £2k and I am very reluctant to release anything to his new accountants until I have been paid in full.
I have already drafted out a letter thinking that I have a right to do this, but now I am unsure if legally I have to hand anything over to them straight away. I have in my office a complete years worth of invoices, bills etc., PAYE records and I work on my own copy of QuickBooks to do his accounts. The accountants are asking for all this plus a backup of QB. I have stated that I would hand over the PAYE records now in order for them to continue with the employee wages.
I have seen from his cheque book that my client has post-dated some very large cheques to HMR&C so I can't see him being able to pay me any time soon, but I am afraid that if I hand over everything he will just bluster and may even stop trading (he trades as self-employed).
Can anyone advise my best course of action? I don't want to go in heavy handed so I thought I would suggest that he sets up a monthly standing order. If he did this and then reneged on the payments would I have a better chance of taking him through the courts?
I feel that I am having to walk on tender-foot as I don't want to put his back up by making him feel that I can't trust him, but on the other hand I have been taken for a ride by other "nice" clients in the past!
Thank you for you time
- deleting customers on Sage 50 135 6
- Value-shifting 31 1
- Pattern for CTA 191 4
- Flat Rate Scheme 268 14
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 429 18
- SDLT exemptions/reliefs 67 2
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 168 3
- Film Partnership Enquiries - am I just unlucky? 215 5
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 684 7
- EBT 168 1
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 152 8
- Giving a seminar 507 28
- Joint Filing Help 94 1
- Altered PAYE cheque 187 4
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 2,197 32
- Interest on Loan to a Company 248 2
- Writing off bad debts 177 4
- Added years superannuation 50 1
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 99 2
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 350 7
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,200
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 599
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 404
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 307
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 191
- Agent fees to sell business 186
- Alphabet shares 184
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 176
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 158
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 158