Bookkeeping - can I withhold records until I am paid
I am a self employed bookkeeper and one of my long term clients has recently informed me that he has changed his accountants and that they will also be doing his bookkeeping from now on. We have had a relaxed working relationship whereby, because I knew of his cash flow problems, I did not chase my money and he would pay lump sums when he could. Unfortunately he now owes me just under £2k and I am very reluctant to release anything to his new accountants until I have been paid in full.
I have already drafted out a letter thinking that I have a right to do this, but now I am unsure if legally I have to hand anything over to them straight away. I have in my office a complete years worth of invoices, bills etc., PAYE records and I work on my own copy of QuickBooks to do his accounts. The accountants are asking for all this plus a backup of QB. I have stated that I would hand over the PAYE records now in order for them to continue with the employee wages.
I have seen from his cheque book that my client has post-dated some very large cheques to HMR&C so I can't see him being able to pay me any time soon, but I am afraid that if I hand over everything he will just bluster and may even stop trading (he trades as self-employed).
Can anyone advise my best course of action? I don't want to go in heavy handed so I thought I would suggest that he sets up a monthly standing order. If he did this and then reneged on the payments would I have a better chance of taking him through the courts?
I feel that I am having to walk on tender-foot as I don't want to put his back up by making him feel that I can't trust him, but on the other hand I have been taken for a ride by other "nice" clients in the past!
Thank you for you time
- Any Scottish members out there? 5,939 208
- Trademark Fun 106 5
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,462 38
- Can I strike off a company by filing DS01 online? 131 2
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 161 3
- Subsistence - god I hate it! 638 14
- How to issue a loan correctly? 182 2
- Would Director's dividends on non-voting C shares risk being classed as "earnings" for NIC purposes? 157 1
- Recycle old study books 352 9
- Share for share exchange 141 3
- Wind turbines 136 1
- Looking for a qualified accountant 511 2
- Locum Doctor claiming costs for Home Office 185 2
- FL Memo - Any Good 406 7
- VAT claim 357 6
- How to reclaim input tax from mixed use redevelopment? 163 6
- Am I allowed Rent A Room Relief? 403 9
- State Pension 1,214 10
- Late Corporation tax return 357 7
- The iIns and outs of VAT 380 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,058
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 340
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 288
- National Insurance 242
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 223
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 222
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 207
- Payments on account coded out?? 202
- Non Resident 160
- Franchise income and costs 142