Bookkeeping - can I withhold records until I am paid
I am a self employed bookkeeper and one of my long term clients has recently informed me that he has changed his accountants and that they will also be doing his bookkeeping from now on. We have had a relaxed working relationship whereby, because I knew of his cash flow problems, I did not chase my money and he would pay lump sums when he could. Unfortunately he now owes me just under £2k and I am very reluctant to release anything to his new accountants until I have been paid in full.
I have already drafted out a letter thinking that I have a right to do this, but now I am unsure if legally I have to hand anything over to them straight away. I have in my office a complete years worth of invoices, bills etc., PAYE records and I work on my own copy of QuickBooks to do his accounts. The accountants are asking for all this plus a backup of QB. I have stated that I would hand over the PAYE records now in order for them to continue with the employee wages.
I have seen from his cheque book that my client has post-dated some very large cheques to HMR&C so I can't see him being able to pay me any time soon, but I am afraid that if I hand over everything he will just bluster and may even stop trading (he trades as self-employed).
Can anyone advise my best course of action? I don't want to go in heavy handed so I thought I would suggest that he sets up a monthly standing order. If he did this and then reneged on the payments would I have a better chance of taking him through the courts?
I feel that I am having to walk on tender-foot as I don't want to put his back up by making him feel that I can't trust him, but on the other hand I have been taken for a ride by other "nice" clients in the past!
Thank you for you time
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 356 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,419 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 167 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 438 12
- Share premium or Directors Loan 736 30
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 115 3
- What would you do in this situation? 157 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 140 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 610 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 641 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 93 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 344 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 247 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 220 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 398 6
- NOVA 557 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 277 10
- Regional Development Grant 126 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,431 21
- Company car without a salary 239 2
- Bonus Bonds 391
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 378
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 290
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 259
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 188
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 180
- Finance Lease 157
- Company Car Lease 156
- Form 42 149
- Demerger Reserve 132