Bookkeeping - can I withhold records until I am paid
I am a self employed bookkeeper and one of my long term clients has recently informed me that he has changed his accountants and that they will also be doing his bookkeeping from now on. We have had a relaxed working relationship whereby, because I knew of his cash flow problems, I did not chase my money and he would pay lump sums when he could. Unfortunately he now owes me just under £2k and I am very reluctant to release anything to his new accountants until I have been paid in full.
I have already drafted out a letter thinking that I have a right to do this, but now I am unsure if legally I have to hand anything over to them straight away. I have in my office a complete years worth of invoices, bills etc., PAYE records and I work on my own copy of QuickBooks to do his accounts. The accountants are asking for all this plus a backup of QB. I have stated that I would hand over the PAYE records now in order for them to continue with the employee wages.
I have seen from his cheque book that my client has post-dated some very large cheques to HMR&C so I can't see him being able to pay me any time soon, but I am afraid that if I hand over everything he will just bluster and may even stop trading (he trades as self-employed).
Can anyone advise my best course of action? I don't want to go in heavy handed so I thought I would suggest that he sets up a monthly standing order. If he did this and then reneged on the payments would I have a better chance of taking him through the courts?
I feel that I am having to walk on tender-foot as I don't want to put his back up by making him feel that I can't trust him, but on the other hand I have been taken for a ride by other "nice" clients in the past!
Thank you for you time
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 52 2
- Where has Portia gone? 1,716 65
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 233 7
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 366 4
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 269 5
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 232 6
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 900 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 184 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 114 1
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 192 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 394 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 335 9
- Merging my businesses 145 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,726 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 518 16
- VAT on commercial property 155 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,051 49
- deceased creditor 211 5
- Corporate member of LLP 281 1
- Investment company 275 6
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 782
- RTI - duplicate employee record 540
- Pensions Regulator 445
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 405
- Sage Vat return box 2 309
- Sanzar 306
- Digital marketing focus group 291
- How do you do it 280
- Portia ... Where art thou 274
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 260