Bookkeeping - can I withhold records until I am paid
I am a self employed bookkeeper and one of my long term clients has recently informed me that he has changed his accountants and that they will also be doing his bookkeeping from now on. We have had a relaxed working relationship whereby, because I knew of his cash flow problems, I did not chase my money and he would pay lump sums when he could. Unfortunately he now owes me just under £2k and I am very reluctant to release anything to his new accountants until I have been paid in full.
I have already drafted out a letter thinking that I have a right to do this, but now I am unsure if legally I have to hand anything over to them straight away. I have in my office a complete years worth of invoices, bills etc., PAYE records and I work on my own copy of QuickBooks to do his accounts. The accountants are asking for all this plus a backup of QB. I have stated that I would hand over the PAYE records now in order for them to continue with the employee wages.
I have seen from his cheque book that my client has post-dated some very large cheques to HMR&C so I can't see him being able to pay me any time soon, but I am afraid that if I hand over everything he will just bluster and may even stop trading (he trades as self-employed).
Can anyone advise my best course of action? I don't want to go in heavy handed so I thought I would suggest that he sets up a monthly standing order. If he did this and then reneged on the payments would I have a better chance of taking him through the courts?
I feel that I am having to walk on tender-foot as I don't want to put his back up by making him feel that I can't trust him, but on the other hand I have been taken for a ride by other "nice" clients in the past!
Thank you for you time
- Concurrent users 772 11
- Bank account frozen 168 4
- Can employer reduce my ACCA tuition fees? 63 1
- Comment Deletion 95 1
- change director details just before striking-off 130 2
- owner paying for purchases and other expenses from personal account 199 4
- Where to enter asset disposal proceeds on CT600 101 1
- Charity Account-independent examiner 202 3
- VAT on Second Hand Touring Caravans 227 7
- Set-off interest received against interest paid? 110 1
- VAT and selling on Amazon 108 1
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 881 26
- Writing Website Content 688 23
- Share valuation upon death of shareholder 134 2
- Pension contributions and childcare vouchers 191 4
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 253 2
- Badges of trade 361 6
- Can HMRC charge penalties now for a tax return due for 2005? 297 4
- CT61 Interest - Is it voluntary? 155 2
- AIA 358 5
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 453
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 423
- Electric Car 358
- S222 Charge 285
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 265
- IP trans to holding company 220
- Payroll Manager - tax code for starter declaration 'C' 206
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 196
- Career advice needed regarding accouting systems analysis 169
- Simple Partnership Agreement Template 168