Bookkeeping - can I withhold records until I am paid
I am a self employed bookkeeper and one of my long term clients has recently informed me that he has changed his accountants and that they will also be doing his bookkeeping from now on. We have had a relaxed working relationship whereby, because I knew of his cash flow problems, I did not chase my money and he would pay lump sums when he could. Unfortunately he now owes me just under £2k and I am very reluctant to release anything to his new accountants until I have been paid in full.
I have already drafted out a letter thinking that I have a right to do this, but now I am unsure if legally I have to hand anything over to them straight away. I have in my office a complete years worth of invoices, bills etc., PAYE records and I work on my own copy of QuickBooks to do his accounts. The accountants are asking for all this plus a backup of QB. I have stated that I would hand over the PAYE records now in order for them to continue with the employee wages.
I have seen from his cheque book that my client has post-dated some very large cheques to HMR&C so I can't see him being able to pay me any time soon, but I am afraid that if I hand over everything he will just bluster and may even stop trading (he trades as self-employed).
Can anyone advise my best course of action? I don't want to go in heavy handed so I thought I would suggest that he sets up a monthly standing order. If he did this and then reneged on the payments would I have a better chance of taking him through the courts?
I feel that I am having to walk on tender-foot as I don't want to put his back up by making him feel that I can't trust him, but on the other hand I have been taken for a ride by other "nice" clients in the past!
Thank you for you time
- Financial Forecasting software recommendations please 317 2
- Tax efficient vehicle 439 8
- Buy to let investors and the budget changes. 119 2
- Business only use of company car 189 5
- As I was saying, Its VAT question day 213 7
- Buying a business premises in a pension 155 2
- Goodwill on incorporation 497 17
- Paying PAYE by Direct Debit 343 10
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 154 2
- Sage Accounts in a mess 229 4
- Retail business software/accounting system 134 2
- Bank reconciliation 233 7
- Practice software 640 13
- Dividend Tax Petition 268 2
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 435 16
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 192 9
- Certificate of Tax Deposit and APN's 107 1
- Why are so many UK accountants reticent to make use of Indian outsourcing providers? 3,294 77
- Going through security 224 4
- Bad debt write off - definition of associated/connected company 147 3
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 237
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 223
- Sage VAT return reports difference post reconciliation 213
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 211
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 199
- Web site and client access area advice 182
- Expenses Software 179
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 166
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 159
- CTA Material 159