Bookkeeping - can I withhold records until I am paid
I am a self employed bookkeeper and one of my long term clients has recently informed me that he has changed his accountants and that they will also be doing his bookkeeping from now on. We have had a relaxed working relationship whereby, because I knew of his cash flow problems, I did not chase my money and he would pay lump sums when he could. Unfortunately he now owes me just under £2k and I am very reluctant to release anything to his new accountants until I have been paid in full.
I have already drafted out a letter thinking that I have a right to do this, but now I am unsure if legally I have to hand anything over to them straight away. I have in my office a complete years worth of invoices, bills etc., PAYE records and I work on my own copy of QuickBooks to do his accounts. The accountants are asking for all this plus a backup of QB. I have stated that I would hand over the PAYE records now in order for them to continue with the employee wages.
I have seen from his cheque book that my client has post-dated some very large cheques to HMR&C so I can't see him being able to pay me any time soon, but I am afraid that if I hand over everything he will just bluster and may even stop trading (he trades as self-employed).
Can anyone advise my best course of action? I don't want to go in heavy handed so I thought I would suggest that he sets up a monthly standing order. If he did this and then reneged on the payments would I have a better chance of taking him through the courts?
I feel that I am having to walk on tender-foot as I don't want to put his back up by making him feel that I can't trust him, but on the other hand I have been taken for a ride by other "nice" clients in the past!
Thank you for you time
- Bank Statement Scanning Software? 119 1
- Not a question but made my day 1,156 23
- Directors, service companies and national minimum wage (NMW) - Profit extraction 377 11
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 1,147 24
- IHT400 or IHT205 - disagree with solicitor 122 1
- Amending 13-14 sole trader return to reflect increased profit in 14-15 256 4
- I forgiven loan an Output? 153 2
- V T Software 173 2
- Thinning income 340 3
- How do I know if I have to apply a reverse charge mechanism 134 3
- SA302's - What's the deal? 343 4
- tax credits 249 4
- Past rental expenses 114 1
- What do do about VAT? 541 15
- Buying a company for £2000 from owner how it works? 283 5
- Vat Exemption moving to a partnership 188 2
- Allowable for Corporation Tax? 220 4
- Audacity 1,322 22
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 695 8
- partnership first tax return 157 1
- NHS finance professionals 594
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 389
- Foreign Pension Contribution 362
- vat gross profit percentage margins 333
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 324
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 305
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 271
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 225
- IFA income recognition & reporting 199
- Incorporating doctors 192