Bookkeeping - can I withhold records until I am paid
I am a self employed bookkeeper and one of my long term clients has recently informed me that he has changed his accountants and that they will also be doing his bookkeeping from now on. We have had a relaxed working relationship whereby, because I knew of his cash flow problems, I did not chase my money and he would pay lump sums when he could. Unfortunately he now owes me just under £2k and I am very reluctant to release anything to his new accountants until I have been paid in full.
I have already drafted out a letter thinking that I have a right to do this, but now I am unsure if legally I have to hand anything over to them straight away. I have in my office a complete years worth of invoices, bills etc., PAYE records and I work on my own copy of QuickBooks to do his accounts. The accountants are asking for all this plus a backup of QB. I have stated that I would hand over the PAYE records now in order for them to continue with the employee wages.
I have seen from his cheque book that my client has post-dated some very large cheques to HMR&C so I can't see him being able to pay me any time soon, but I am afraid that if I hand over everything he will just bluster and may even stop trading (he trades as self-employed).
Can anyone advise my best course of action? I don't want to go in heavy handed so I thought I would suggest that he sets up a monthly standing order. If he did this and then reneged on the payments would I have a better chance of taking him through the courts?
I feel that I am having to walk on tender-foot as I don't want to put his back up by making him feel that I can't trust him, but on the other hand I have been taken for a ride by other "nice" clients in the past!
Thank you for you time
- Posting pension salary sacrifice journal 128 2
- Flowers sent to client - not a disallowable business gift? 148 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 215 4
- Auto-Enrolment 4,317 190
- Rental income 207 3
- Cash basis 184 6
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 653 27
- Cash basis 830 29
- NIC thresholds - two employments 2,013 34
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 372 12
- Please tell me what to do!! 513 13
- VAT on exports to EU 116 5
- 5th April 415 16
- s455 Directors loan 271 4
- Company buy back of shares from directors 248 11
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 300 2
- Investor exit 262 4
- client threatening legal action 2,346 31
- When & How much of Income to recognise 163 2
- What are the options for writing off a Directors Credit balance 267 3
- Skandia using wrong address 621
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 331
- Employee rewards 311
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 277
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 241
- Etax Australian 200
- LLP in Construction Industry 167
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 160
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 149
- Re-submitting CT600 on paper 143