Bookkeeping - can I withhold records until I am paid
I am a self employed bookkeeper and one of my long term clients has recently informed me that he has changed his accountants and that they will also be doing his bookkeeping from now on. We have had a relaxed working relationship whereby, because I knew of his cash flow problems, I did not chase my money and he would pay lump sums when he could. Unfortunately he now owes me just under £2k and I am very reluctant to release anything to his new accountants until I have been paid in full.
I have already drafted out a letter thinking that I have a right to do this, but now I am unsure if legally I have to hand anything over to them straight away. I have in my office a complete years worth of invoices, bills etc., PAYE records and I work on my own copy of QuickBooks to do his accounts. The accountants are asking for all this plus a backup of QB. I have stated that I would hand over the PAYE records now in order for them to continue with the employee wages.
I have seen from his cheque book that my client has post-dated some very large cheques to HMR&C so I can't see him being able to pay me any time soon, but I am afraid that if I hand over everything he will just bluster and may even stop trading (he trades as self-employed).
Can anyone advise my best course of action? I don't want to go in heavy handed so I thought I would suggest that he sets up a monthly standing order. If he did this and then reneged on the payments would I have a better chance of taking him through the courts?
I feel that I am having to walk on tender-foot as I don't want to put his back up by making him feel that I can't trust him, but on the other hand I have been taken for a ride by other "nice" clients in the past!
Thank you for you time
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 444 13
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 13 1
- CGT history of shares 180 4
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 144 5
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 184 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 336 6
- CGT on sale of let property 123 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 185 2
- how do i get UTR 147 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 92 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 239 3
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 139 1
- Your comments please 317 6
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 195 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 133 2
- EIS 199 4
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 135 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 118 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 131 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 731 14
- Moving away from CCH software 969
- QROP pension input amounts 453
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 398
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 384
- fraud 306
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 284
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 246
- Construction CIS LLP Company 231
- EPS and CIS deductions 225
- Out of time or not? 211