Bookkeeping - can I withhold records until I am paid
I am a self employed bookkeeper and one of my long term clients has recently informed me that he has changed his accountants and that they will also be doing his bookkeeping from now on. We have had a relaxed working relationship whereby, because I knew of his cash flow problems, I did not chase my money and he would pay lump sums when he could. Unfortunately he now owes me just under £2k and I am very reluctant to release anything to his new accountants until I have been paid in full.
I have already drafted out a letter thinking that I have a right to do this, but now I am unsure if legally I have to hand anything over to them straight away. I have in my office a complete years worth of invoices, bills etc., PAYE records and I work on my own copy of QuickBooks to do his accounts. The accountants are asking for all this plus a backup of QB. I have stated that I would hand over the PAYE records now in order for them to continue with the employee wages.
I have seen from his cheque book that my client has post-dated some very large cheques to HMR&C so I can't see him being able to pay me any time soon, but I am afraid that if I hand over everything he will just bluster and may even stop trading (he trades as self-employed).
Can anyone advise my best course of action? I don't want to go in heavy handed so I thought I would suggest that he sets up a monthly standing order. If he did this and then reneged on the payments would I have a better chance of taking him through the courts?
I feel that I am having to walk on tender-foot as I don't want to put his back up by making him feel that I can't trust him, but on the other hand I have been taken for a ride by other "nice" clients in the past!
Thank you for you time
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 40 1
- What are options for non CA firm 2,422 53
- I have missing sales invoices 351 5
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 195 1
- is my company accounts right? 659 16
- Invoice Help 354 10
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 236 8
- Class 2 National Insurance contributions 346 5
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 354 5
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 948 19
- Errors in prior year accounts 1,045 26
- Directors Subsistence 202 1
- (CIMA) - Qualified to Management Level (2006) 249 4
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 426 16
- Purchase of freehold by flat management company 266 3
- Final year's accounts 339 3
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,925 27
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,499 20
- Free Shares ? 329 6
- Dividend dates 340 6
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 552
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 318
- Cancelled 316
- Cancelled 265
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 225
- Married woman dies owning marital home 216
- Probiz 206
- What's the market like for temps? 200
- CIS Deductions 164
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 159