Bookkeeping & Sage Opening Balances
I provide administrative assistance to a small local ltd company. The current bookkeeping system is maintained via spreadsheets. ie Sales Day book, Purchases day, bank rec. This is done by the director. I do the filing of receipts etc. Accountant has now suggested company should get a computer package and the company bought Sage Instant Accounts. In the past we just past all the spreadsheets to accountant with the bank statements and receipts for him to check and produce the year end accounts.
I would like to ask for some assistance in entering the opening balances as the accountant says we have all the relevant balances in the year end accounts and this is an easy task unfortnately with no further help. I assume the company does not pay him enough for further advice.
In the year end accounts there is an accrual for £950. Do we have the enter this as an opening balance as the expense relates to last year? Although actual payment was made after end year. My boss has produced a trial balance(manually)from the year end accounts in preparation for entering to Sage but if the £950 is not included the tb does not balance.
Also under current liabilities section there is a value of £10,234 under directors current account? What would this be in Sage? I have been informed that this is just an account that lists incoming outgoing for director therefore should this be set up as directors account incoming and out going ie 2 accounts. What are the usual accounts names for this? Also is this the right explanantion for a directors account.
My boss wants me to update the Sage system after he enters the opening balances but if they are wrong the system will not be correct. I have suggested the company employ a bookkeeper but he says he can't afford one. Unfortnately my accounts experience is limited to sales/purchase day books and bank rec. I do not want to be in charge of a system that does not balance in the first place and I preferred the system of pass to the accountant for his instruction.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
- Capital Allowance on Vehicles - CT600 104 2
- Introduction of assets to Limited Company (Comic Books) 266 11
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 923 20
- Moneysoft Payroll 184 3
- Seeking advice: Do you pay tax on donations if you are not a registered charity? 249 4
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 934 14
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 474 7
- BTL property and holdover or other relief 168 4
- Client right to working papers 1,544 11
- vat gross margins 190 2
- Employer PAYE Refund 212 4
- e mail 203 1
- Auto enrolment 581 9
- HMRC Debt collectors 1,356 6
- VAT on new build property 162 2
- Auto enrolment 301 9
- SAGE 50 2011 161 1
- Are there any auto-enrolment engagement letter templates? 1,635 36
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 1,880 22
- Loss on sale of goodwill 219 2
- NHS finance professionals 671
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 412
- Foreign Pension Contribution 381
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 368
- vat gross profit percentage margins 365
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 352
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 312
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 281
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 242
- IFA income recognition & reporting 214