Bookkeeping & Sage Opening Balances
I provide administrative assistance to a small local ltd company. The current bookkeeping system is maintained via spreadsheets. ie Sales Day book, Purchases day, bank rec. This is done by the director. I do the filing of receipts etc. Accountant has now suggested company should get a computer package and the company bought Sage Instant Accounts. In the past we just past all the spreadsheets to accountant with the bank statements and receipts for him to check and produce the year end accounts.
I would like to ask for some assistance in entering the opening balances as the accountant says we have all the relevant balances in the year end accounts and this is an easy task unfortnately with no further help. I assume the company does not pay him enough for further advice.
In the year end accounts there is an accrual for £950. Do we have the enter this as an opening balance as the expense relates to last year? Although actual payment was made after end year. My boss has produced a trial balance(manually)from the year end accounts in preparation for entering to Sage but if the £950 is not included the tb does not balance.
Also under current liabilities section there is a value of £10,234 under directors current account? What would this be in Sage? I have been informed that this is just an account that lists incoming outgoing for director therefore should this be set up as directors account incoming and out going ie 2 accounts. What are the usual accounts names for this? Also is this the right explanantion for a directors account.
My boss wants me to update the Sage system after he enters the opening balances but if they are wrong the system will not be correct. I have suggested the company employ a bookkeeper but he says he can't afford one. Unfortnately my accounts experience is limited to sales/purchase day books and bank rec. I do not want to be in charge of a system that does not balance in the first place and I preferred the system of pass to the accountant for his instruction.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
- Foreign national, UK resident 126 1
- Director leaving in month 1 247 5
- Secondment expenses 193 6
- Basic RTI - how to re-enter lost data? 82 2
- Accountancy software for an imac 328 7
- Strategic Report 78 1
- Cable’s crackdown on bonuses – empty words? 169 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 138 3
- VAT BOX 6 & 7 errors 195 6
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,385 22
- VAT Option to tax 506 18
- Clarify the tax position 91 1
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 139 1
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 248 6
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 338 4
- CIS and Close Company 158 5
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 222 4
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 87 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 373 8
- Giving advice to friends / family 173 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 918
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 645
- Free Tax Legislation? 417
- Director Loan account operation 410
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 357
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 324
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 233
- Paye procedures for CVA 225
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 199
- Pension Fixed Protection 164