Bookkeeping & Sage Opening Balances
I provide administrative assistance to a small local ltd company. The current bookkeeping system is maintained via spreadsheets. ie Sales Day book, Purchases day, bank rec. This is done by the director. I do the filing of receipts etc. Accountant has now suggested company should get a computer package and the company bought Sage Instant Accounts. In the past we just past all the spreadsheets to accountant with the bank statements and receipts for him to check and produce the year end accounts.
I would like to ask for some assistance in entering the opening balances as the accountant says we have all the relevant balances in the year end accounts and this is an easy task unfortnately with no further help. I assume the company does not pay him enough for further advice.
In the year end accounts there is an accrual for £950. Do we have the enter this as an opening balance as the expense relates to last year? Although actual payment was made after end year. My boss has produced a trial balance(manually)from the year end accounts in preparation for entering to Sage but if the £950 is not included the tb does not balance.
Also under current liabilities section there is a value of £10,234 under directors current account? What would this be in Sage? I have been informed that this is just an account that lists incoming outgoing for director therefore should this be set up as directors account incoming and out going ie 2 accounts. What are the usual accounts names for this? Also is this the right explanantion for a directors account.
My boss wants me to update the Sage system after he enters the opening balances but if they are wrong the system will not be correct. I have suggested the company employ a bookkeeper but he says he can't afford one. Unfortnately my accounts experience is limited to sales/purchase day books and bank rec. I do not want to be in charge of a system that does not balance in the first place and I preferred the system of pass to the accountant for his instruction.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
- Error in audited accounts 123 2
- Pratice Management Software 167 3
- Use of home query 98 2
- IT advisory questions? 262 7
- signature required 549 22
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 261 6
- Vat registration exception 201 3
- CIS software 96 2
- Homing sandwiches 477 11
- CT600 137 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 191 7
- Settlement discount 157 4
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 520 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 194 5
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 178 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 137 2
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 221 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 141 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 192 2
- Related Party Transactions 133 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,253
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 821
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 526
- Digita Hosted Software 342
- Credit where credit's due....... 318
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 245
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 202
- TheTax Donut 185
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 166
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 165