Bookkeeping & Sage Opening Balances
I provide administrative assistance to a small local ltd company. The current bookkeeping system is maintained via spreadsheets. ie Sales Day book, Purchases day, bank rec. This is done by the director. I do the filing of receipts etc. Accountant has now suggested company should get a computer package and the company bought Sage Instant Accounts. In the past we just past all the spreadsheets to accountant with the bank statements and receipts for him to check and produce the year end accounts.
I would like to ask for some assistance in entering the opening balances as the accountant says we have all the relevant balances in the year end accounts and this is an easy task unfortnately with no further help. I assume the company does not pay him enough for further advice.
In the year end accounts there is an accrual for £950. Do we have the enter this as an opening balance as the expense relates to last year? Although actual payment was made after end year. My boss has produced a trial balance(manually)from the year end accounts in preparation for entering to Sage but if the £950 is not included the tb does not balance.
Also under current liabilities section there is a value of £10,234 under directors current account? What would this be in Sage? I have been informed that this is just an account that lists incoming outgoing for director therefore should this be set up as directors account incoming and out going ie 2 accounts. What are the usual accounts names for this? Also is this the right explanantion for a directors account.
My boss wants me to update the Sage system after he enters the opening balances but if they are wrong the system will not be correct. I have suggested the company employ a bookkeeper but he says he can't afford one. Unfortnately my accounts experience is limited to sales/purchase day books and bank rec. I do not want to be in charge of a system that does not balance in the first place and I preferred the system of pass to the accountant for his instruction.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
- Help with CGT please 23 2
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 308 17
- Will I need to resign? 912 11
- Cocaine anyone? 646 11
- Lack of VAT Receipt 63 1
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 248 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 130 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 182 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 175 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 832 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 539 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 704 13
- Personal pension 441 9
- Business rates consultancy 268 4
- Wrong tax code 180 6
- Benefit in Kind 265 5
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 97 2
- Am I getting Soft?? 309 10
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,063 31
- Deferred Tax 476 8
- Hive up 513
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 474
- corporate hierarchy 453
- Advice - 297
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 240
- WWOOFers 235
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 217
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 195
- The booking.com con 178
- UK State pension paid in NZ 167