Bookkeeping & Sage Opening Balances
I provide administrative assistance to a small local ltd company. The current bookkeeping system is maintained via spreadsheets. ie Sales Day book, Purchases day, bank rec. This is done by the director. I do the filing of receipts etc. Accountant has now suggested company should get a computer package and the company bought Sage Instant Accounts. In the past we just past all the spreadsheets to accountant with the bank statements and receipts for him to check and produce the year end accounts.
I would like to ask for some assistance in entering the opening balances as the accountant says we have all the relevant balances in the year end accounts and this is an easy task unfortnately with no further help. I assume the company does not pay him enough for further advice.
In the year end accounts there is an accrual for £950. Do we have the enter this as an opening balance as the expense relates to last year? Although actual payment was made after end year. My boss has produced a trial balance(manually)from the year end accounts in preparation for entering to Sage but if the £950 is not included the tb does not balance.
Also under current liabilities section there is a value of £10,234 under directors current account? What would this be in Sage? I have been informed that this is just an account that lists incoming outgoing for director therefore should this be set up as directors account incoming and out going ie 2 accounts. What are the usual accounts names for this? Also is this the right explanantion for a directors account.
My boss wants me to update the Sage system after he enters the opening balances but if they are wrong the system will not be correct. I have suggested the company employ a bookkeeper but he says he can't afford one. Unfortnately my accounts experience is limited to sales/purchase day books and bank rec. I do not want to be in charge of a system that does not balance in the first place and I preferred the system of pass to the accountant for his instruction.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
- Sole Trade - Losses B/Fwd 167 11
- Scottish but not UK 191 5
- Pay-slip date & Pay-ment Date 69 5
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 28 1
- What is the role of an accountant? 85 3
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 168 3
- Construction Industry Scheme Age Limit 62 3
- VAT on introducer fees 70 1
- Company Accounts 379 7
- Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) 277 17
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 264 4
- P11D Query 89 3
- CIS 304 10
- VAT1 Form- Question 7 201 7
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 223 5
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,059 358
- Complicated freehold purchase and CA 144 2
- Accountancy packages for FRS 102 201 5
- Tax relief on investmement in holding company 91 3
- FRS 102 and loans from a director 373 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,218
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 425
- National Insurance 324
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 318
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 248
- Non Resident 245
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 239
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 219
- Franchise income and costs 216
- Hands on experience of Digita 152