Bookkeeping & Sage Opening Balances
I provide administrative assistance to a small local ltd company. The current bookkeeping system is maintained via spreadsheets. ie Sales Day book, Purchases day, bank rec. This is done by the director. I do the filing of receipts etc. Accountant has now suggested company should get a computer package and the company bought Sage Instant Accounts. In the past we just past all the spreadsheets to accountant with the bank statements and receipts for him to check and produce the year end accounts.
I would like to ask for some assistance in entering the opening balances as the accountant says we have all the relevant balances in the year end accounts and this is an easy task unfortnately with no further help. I assume the company does not pay him enough for further advice.
In the year end accounts there is an accrual for £950. Do we have the enter this as an opening balance as the expense relates to last year? Although actual payment was made after end year. My boss has produced a trial balance(manually)from the year end accounts in preparation for entering to Sage but if the £950 is not included the tb does not balance.
Also under current liabilities section there is a value of £10,234 under directors current account? What would this be in Sage? I have been informed that this is just an account that lists incoming outgoing for director therefore should this be set up as directors account incoming and out going ie 2 accounts. What are the usual accounts names for this? Also is this the right explanantion for a directors account.
My boss wants me to update the Sage system after he enters the opening balances but if they are wrong the system will not be correct. I have suggested the company employ a bookkeeper but he says he can't afford one. Unfortnately my accounts experience is limited to sales/purchase day books and bank rec. I do not want to be in charge of a system that does not balance in the first place and I preferred the system of pass to the accountant for his instruction.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
- Company struck off 90 4
- Employment Allowance 361 6
- Redoing accounts for mortgage lender 132 2
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 406 8
- West Bromich Albion 321 2
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 340 10
- What are options for non CA firm 2,867 61
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 383 10
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 253 7
- Do I need a smartphone? 94 2
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,266 45
- 27,000 Really? 1,194 38
- Legal title not in the company name 813 23
- Opening Balances 224 2
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 607 7
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 161 1
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 117 1
- This is getting boring 639 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 282 7
- pension paid by company? 142 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 645
- Cancelled 400
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 356
- Cancelled 345
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 312
- Probiz 307
- How not to compose an email 293
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 284
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 260
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 225