Bookkeeping & Sage Opening Balances
I provide administrative assistance to a small local ltd company. The current bookkeeping system is maintained via spreadsheets. ie Sales Day book, Purchases day, bank rec. This is done by the director. I do the filing of receipts etc. Accountant has now suggested company should get a computer package and the company bought Sage Instant Accounts. In the past we just past all the spreadsheets to accountant with the bank statements and receipts for him to check and produce the year end accounts.
I would like to ask for some assistance in entering the opening balances as the accountant says we have all the relevant balances in the year end accounts and this is an easy task unfortnately with no further help. I assume the company does not pay him enough for further advice.
In the year end accounts there is an accrual for £950. Do we have the enter this as an opening balance as the expense relates to last year? Although actual payment was made after end year. My boss has produced a trial balance(manually)from the year end accounts in preparation for entering to Sage but if the £950 is not included the tb does not balance.
Also under current liabilities section there is a value of £10,234 under directors current account? What would this be in Sage? I have been informed that this is just an account that lists incoming outgoing for director therefore should this be set up as directors account incoming and out going ie 2 accounts. What are the usual accounts names for this? Also is this the right explanantion for a directors account.
My boss wants me to update the Sage system after he enters the opening balances but if they are wrong the system will not be correct. I have suggested the company employ a bookkeeper but he says he can't afford one. Unfortnately my accounts experience is limited to sales/purchase day books and bank rec. I do not want to be in charge of a system that does not balance in the first place and I preferred the system of pass to the accountant for his instruction.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
- P11D Rejection 367 9
- How to avoid a bankruptcy 517 14
- Selling a practice 340 5
- KPMG email campaign and impact on market 1,261 20
- Incapable of reading 119 1
- How to pay national insurance 140 2
- Overlap relief 461 12
- Live Chat on Accountancy Website 107 1
- Related party - Transaction with sole director’s father 80 1
- Dormant payroll 838 9
- Form 17 - legal ownership requirements 177 5
- Can I get around an ostrich director? 132 1
- "Can your client afford the following" 1,333 21
- Why won't CH validate accounts? 624 13
- PPR exemption on separation 146 1
- P11DX: change of requirement by HMRC 1,549 10
- Intercompany loans 110 1
- How do I create a tax journal from my corporation tax return? 178 3
- Limited Company 339 11
- Sage renewals and terminations 133 1
- Theatre Tax Relief 442
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 345
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 336
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 311
- Perkbox 274
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 242
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 242
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 235
- Document Management Systems 215
- WIP Software 199