Bookkeeping & Sage Opening Balances
I provide administrative assistance to a small local ltd company. The current bookkeeping system is maintained via spreadsheets. ie Sales Day book, Purchases day, bank rec. This is done by the director. I do the filing of receipts etc. Accountant has now suggested company should get a computer package and the company bought Sage Instant Accounts. In the past we just past all the spreadsheets to accountant with the bank statements and receipts for him to check and produce the year end accounts.
I would like to ask for some assistance in entering the opening balances as the accountant says we have all the relevant balances in the year end accounts and this is an easy task unfortnately with no further help. I assume the company does not pay him enough for further advice.
In the year end accounts there is an accrual for £950. Do we have the enter this as an opening balance as the expense relates to last year? Although actual payment was made after end year. My boss has produced a trial balance(manually)from the year end accounts in preparation for entering to Sage but if the £950 is not included the tb does not balance.
Also under current liabilities section there is a value of £10,234 under directors current account? What would this be in Sage? I have been informed that this is just an account that lists incoming outgoing for director therefore should this be set up as directors account incoming and out going ie 2 accounts. What are the usual accounts names for this? Also is this the right explanantion for a directors account.
My boss wants me to update the Sage system after he enters the opening balances but if they are wrong the system will not be correct. I have suggested the company employ a bookkeeper but he says he can't afford one. Unfortnately my accounts experience is limited to sales/purchase day books and bank rec. I do not want to be in charge of a system that does not balance in the first place and I preferred the system of pass to the accountant for his instruction.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
- payroll software 348 3
- Instant CPD offer 257 3
- Income from rent charged to business 46 1
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 419 5
- Statutory sick pay 282 4
- Dividend in specie 355 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 209 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 167 3
- Cash basis 474 12
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 139 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 263 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 291 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 158 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 351 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,850 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 326 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 242 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 98 1
- Investor exit 193 3
- Partially exempt? 378 10
- Skandia using wrong address 565
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 305
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 302
- Employee rewards 285
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 243
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 223
- Etax Australian 183
- LLP in Construction Industry 148
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 129
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 129