Building work associated with leasehold premises
My clients have incorporated their business and shortly after, purchased the freehold which they had previosuly rented. The property comprises two shops and a dwelling, on one site. It has been purchased privately by the directors and one shop is rented to the company.
Some improvements are being made - a new shop is being constructed to replace that currently being let to the company and when it is finished the original building will be knocked down. This will improve the layout of the site so that the shop and the dwelling will each have their own driveway.
Having started the accounts I was dismayed to see that the client has been putting the redevelopment costs through the business. Although they can recover the VAT if the company is invoiced, it appears to me that there would be no tax relief on the work at any point unless the owners of the freehold bear the costs in which case they would get tax relief when the property is sold. It also seems to me that the value of the dwelling will be improved by the work done, in which case not all the improvements could be considered relevant to the company anyway.
I feel that the redevelopment costs should be borne by the freehold owners and the directors current account should be adjusted accordingly for costs paid so far. The VAT claimed to date should be repaid.
I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts on this as working in isolation you have to argue every case with yourself!
- Closing a limited company 67 4
- Obtaining old payslips & correcting historic tax overpayment 78 3
- Software 248 6
- Window Comb Binder Cover 345 6
- Capital Gains on Residential Property 402 23
- Broadband costs 185 2
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 401 14
- Rental Income for Child Benefit Charge 64 1
- Allocation of internal division of work - manger level 284 11
- Use of home deduction 435 14
- Non resident income. 206 11
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 310 5
- Director payroll - prorated NI? 188 5
- SA800 Returns 220 4
- state pension statement 732 9
- VAT on EU supplies 62 1
- VAT on purchse from EU supplier but goods were sent outside of EU from supplier 97 1
- Terminal Trade Loss Relief 154 4
- VAT on Vocational Training Courses supplied to a Charity Org? 92 1
- Goodwill adjustment 187 5
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 847
- Copy Wanted 588
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 529
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 505
- Latest phishing scam 388
- Entrepreneurs' relief 365
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 319
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 306
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 295
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 205