Building work associated with leasehold premises
My clients have incorporated their business and shortly after, purchased the freehold which they had previosuly rented. The property comprises two shops and a dwelling, on one site. It has been purchased privately by the directors and one shop is rented to the company.
Some improvements are being made - a new shop is being constructed to replace that currently being let to the company and when it is finished the original building will be knocked down. This will improve the layout of the site so that the shop and the dwelling will each have their own driveway.
Having started the accounts I was dismayed to see that the client has been putting the redevelopment costs through the business. Although they can recover the VAT if the company is invoiced, it appears to me that there would be no tax relief on the work at any point unless the owners of the freehold bear the costs in which case they would get tax relief when the property is sold. It also seems to me that the value of the dwelling will be improved by the work done, in which case not all the improvements could be considered relevant to the company anyway.
I feel that the redevelopment costs should be borne by the freehold owners and the directors current account should be adjusted accordingly for costs paid so far. The VAT claimed to date should be repaid.
I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts on this as working in isolation you have to argue every case with yourself!
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 867 12
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 560 20
- BA Cabin Crew Employment Expenses 1,468 5
- How much does the company pay 89 2
- Help with CGT please 91 3
- Lack of VAT Receipt 126 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 310 6
- Benefit in Kind 311 6
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 325 17
- Will I need to resign? 948 11
- Cocaine anyone? 676 11
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 259 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 164 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 205 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 182 2
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 727 13
- Personal pension 456 9
- Business rates consultancy 275 4
- Wrong tax code 197 6
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 118 2
- Hive up 523
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 479
- corporate hierarchy 458
- Advice - 302
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 249
- WWOOFers 246
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 225
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 202
- The booking.com con 192
- Cocaine anyone? 174