Building work associated with leasehold premises
My clients have incorporated their business and shortly after, purchased the freehold which they had previosuly rented. The property comprises two shops and a dwelling, on one site. It has been purchased privately by the directors and one shop is rented to the company.
Some improvements are being made - a new shop is being constructed to replace that currently being let to the company and when it is finished the original building will be knocked down. This will improve the layout of the site so that the shop and the dwelling will each have their own driveway.
Having started the accounts I was dismayed to see that the client has been putting the redevelopment costs through the business. Although they can recover the VAT if the company is invoiced, it appears to me that there would be no tax relief on the work at any point unless the owners of the freehold bear the costs in which case they would get tax relief when the property is sold. It also seems to me that the value of the dwelling will be improved by the work done, in which case not all the improvements could be considered relevant to the company anyway.
I feel that the redevelopment costs should be borne by the freehold owners and the directors current account should be adjusted accordingly for costs paid so far. The VAT claimed to date should be repaid.
I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts on this as working in isolation you have to argue every case with yourself!
- Invoice personally but declare in company? 342 8
- Anyone had this problem?? 514 15
- VAT flat rate scheme 290 5
- Complex VAT Group 298 6
- Pre-registration VAT: can you reclaim VATon delivery costs incurred in the six months prior to registration? 49 3
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 315 1
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 3,238 107
- Client's company struck off 291 7
- Sole Trader Cessation 76 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 75 1
- What rent was paid for income tax purposes? 233 2
- Reversal of Warranty Provision 107 4
- Does a building subcontractor charge VAT on his labour on a new-build? 197 5
- Penalty on dormant CT600 prior to trading 113 1
- Related party disclosures 287 4
- Stamp Duty Land Tax 150 2
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 1,301 21
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 391 4
- Company name change and Final Accounts - Can the Accounts be under new company name? 124 2
- Error or mistake in CT return 215 1
- QROP pension input amounts 466
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 408
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 405
- fraud 326
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 257
- Construction CIS LLP Company 240
- EPS and CIS deductions 239
- First Choice Final Accounts 195
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 188
- SAGE winforecast 165