Building work associated with leasehold premises
My clients have incorporated their business and shortly after, purchased the freehold which they had previosuly rented. The property comprises two shops and a dwelling, on one site. It has been purchased privately by the directors and one shop is rented to the company.
Some improvements are being made - a new shop is being constructed to replace that currently being let to the company and when it is finished the original building will be knocked down. This will improve the layout of the site so that the shop and the dwelling will each have their own driveway.
Having started the accounts I was dismayed to see that the client has been putting the redevelopment costs through the business. Although they can recover the VAT if the company is invoiced, it appears to me that there would be no tax relief on the work at any point unless the owners of the freehold bear the costs in which case they would get tax relief when the property is sold. It also seems to me that the value of the dwelling will be improved by the work done, in which case not all the improvements could be considered relevant to the company anyway.
I feel that the redevelopment costs should be borne by the freehold owners and the directors current account should be adjusted accordingly for costs paid so far. The VAT claimed to date should be repaid.
I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts on this as working in isolation you have to argue every case with yourself!
- Valuation of PET on death 196 6
- Accomodation charge for Publican 85 1
- VAT Registration 307 15
- Auto enrolment 827 10
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 227 4
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 403 17
- Vat on second hand goods 157 2
- Soil Survey Required Mortgage 116 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 616 17
- Easy way to not pay tax 656 17
- another ir35!!!! 817 3
- Entrepreneur's relief and LLPs 163 3
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 1,926 39
- Pre- trading Expenses 223 3
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 258 4
- RTI error - two of the same employer - what to do 138 2
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 252 1
- BTL property with a plot of land at the back 203 2
- Joint rental income 233 2
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 467 5
- Skandia using wrong address 1,509
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 836
- International interest certificate 454
- NOVA 308
- Bonus Bonds 191
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 187
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 185
- Management expenses for investment company 183
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 171
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 163