Building work associated with leasehold premises
My clients have incorporated their business and shortly after, purchased the freehold which they had previosuly rented. The property comprises two shops and a dwelling, on one site. It has been purchased privately by the directors and one shop is rented to the company.
Some improvements are being made - a new shop is being constructed to replace that currently being let to the company and when it is finished the original building will be knocked down. This will improve the layout of the site so that the shop and the dwelling will each have their own driveway.
Having started the accounts I was dismayed to see that the client has been putting the redevelopment costs through the business. Although they can recover the VAT if the company is invoiced, it appears to me that there would be no tax relief on the work at any point unless the owners of the freehold bear the costs in which case they would get tax relief when the property is sold. It also seems to me that the value of the dwelling will be improved by the work done, in which case not all the improvements could be considered relevant to the company anyway.
I feel that the redevelopment costs should be borne by the freehold owners and the directors current account should be adjusted accordingly for costs paid so far. The VAT claimed to date should be repaid.
I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts on this as working in isolation you have to argue every case with yourself!
- ACCA practice certificates 38 1
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 174 3
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,077 32
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 155 2
- What would you do in this situation? 674 14
- Dress code 491 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 513 16
- Project being run jointly 209 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 316 4
- Companies House 614 9
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 371 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 736 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,449 25
- Help Required 428 10
- directors control and tax problems 310 5
- Fastest Software 808 13
- What's in a name ? 405 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 319 4
- Bulk Invoicing 195 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 190 3
- CTA study material 715
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 439
- Employment related securities question 275
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 258
- AIM Stocks and IHT 253
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 229
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 216
- Expat pension contributions? 204
- Trust for Employee 202
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 184