Building work associated with leasehold premises
My clients have incorporated their business and shortly after, purchased the freehold which they had previosuly rented. The property comprises two shops and a dwelling, on one site. It has been purchased privately by the directors and one shop is rented to the company.
Some improvements are being made - a new shop is being constructed to replace that currently being let to the company and when it is finished the original building will be knocked down. This will improve the layout of the site so that the shop and the dwelling will each have their own driveway.
Having started the accounts I was dismayed to see that the client has been putting the redevelopment costs through the business. Although they can recover the VAT if the company is invoiced, it appears to me that there would be no tax relief on the work at any point unless the owners of the freehold bear the costs in which case they would get tax relief when the property is sold. It also seems to me that the value of the dwelling will be improved by the work done, in which case not all the improvements could be considered relevant to the company anyway.
I feel that the redevelopment costs should be borne by the freehold owners and the directors current account should be adjusted accordingly for costs paid so far. The VAT claimed to date should be repaid.
I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts on this as working in isolation you have to argue every case with yourself!
- Landlord possible penalties for late registration for self assessment 131 6
- Where do I declare dividends in HMRC's Computations software ? 67 2
- How to pay national insurance 452 14
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 77 1
- reduce rate VAT on conversion from 2 to 1 dwelling 88 2
- HMRC Email 261 5
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 1,861 21
- Employment status 167 3
- BIM47080 and director training before trade starts 152 5
- Accounting Software for Small Practice 971 23
- Hannah's blog post about fish 328 4
- Overlap relief 624 16
- Timescale for S455/S458 reclaims 142 3
- Ex-gratia payments 192 4
- HMRC & daft penalty 536 5
- Fee reasonable or OTT? 1,795 21
- Bumper Holiday Pay 186 2
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 252 12
- Government Gateway 1,075 17
- Intercompany advice 95 1
- Theatre Tax Relief 474
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 366
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 363
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 337
- Perkbox 303
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 288
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 263
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 257
- Document Management Systems 241
- WIP Software 223