Building work associated with leasehold premises
My clients have incorporated their business and shortly after, purchased the freehold which they had previosuly rented. The property comprises two shops and a dwelling, on one site. It has been purchased privately by the directors and one shop is rented to the company.
Some improvements are being made - a new shop is being constructed to replace that currently being let to the company and when it is finished the original building will be knocked down. This will improve the layout of the site so that the shop and the dwelling will each have their own driveway.
Having started the accounts I was dismayed to see that the client has been putting the redevelopment costs through the business. Although they can recover the VAT if the company is invoiced, it appears to me that there would be no tax relief on the work at any point unless the owners of the freehold bear the costs in which case they would get tax relief when the property is sold. It also seems to me that the value of the dwelling will be improved by the work done, in which case not all the improvements could be considered relevant to the company anyway.
I feel that the redevelopment costs should be borne by the freehold owners and the directors current account should be adjusted accordingly for costs paid so far. The VAT claimed to date should be repaid.
I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts on this as working in isolation you have to argue every case with yourself!
- Deleted question? 727 19
- Accounts Question 92 4
- What are options for non CA firm 3,169 67
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,934 69
- MAAT vs ACCA 696 13
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,391 24
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,920 46
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 647 3
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 434 4
- VAT Return Errors 172 2
- Adjustment to previous self assessments 121 5
- inflation rate year on year 147 3
- Yorkshire Day 600 38
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 186 4
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 181 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 380 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 147 3
- SMP reclaimable by employer 292 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 237 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 153 1
- Cancelled 468
- Cancelled 386
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 376
- Probiz 356
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 261
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 236
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 230
- More spam 183
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 162
- Employee Benefit Trust 152