Building work associated with leasehold premises
My clients have incorporated their business and shortly after, purchased the freehold which they had previosuly rented. The property comprises two shops and a dwelling, on one site. It has been purchased privately by the directors and one shop is rented to the company.
Some improvements are being made - a new shop is being constructed to replace that currently being let to the company and when it is finished the original building will be knocked down. This will improve the layout of the site so that the shop and the dwelling will each have their own driveway.
Having started the accounts I was dismayed to see that the client has been putting the redevelopment costs through the business. Although they can recover the VAT if the company is invoiced, it appears to me that there would be no tax relief on the work at any point unless the owners of the freehold bear the costs in which case they would get tax relief when the property is sold. It also seems to me that the value of the dwelling will be improved by the work done, in which case not all the improvements could be considered relevant to the company anyway.
I feel that the redevelopment costs should be borne by the freehold owners and the directors current account should be adjusted accordingly for costs paid so far. The VAT claimed to date should be repaid.
I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts on this as working in isolation you have to argue every case with yourself!
- Mortgage Adviser's request 120 4
- CGT on spouse's death 67 1
- Tax relief for networking day out? 378 8
- Payroll software 167 4
- Company UTR numbers 286 6
- Can shareholders lend to their company at interest? 343 9
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 636 30
- Starting Again 110 1
- Summer house for business only 55 1
- Transfer of property to Limited Company 83 1
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 546 18
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 118 3
- Tax implication giving money to friend (not family) 110 3
- How do you count your clients 394 4
- Contractor & possible IR35 146 1
- GASDS What's the rule? 106 1
- Proposal to strike off...... 465 9
- Property Expenses 113 3
- Accrued salary unpaid 151 3
- Calling my southern Brothers. 739 15
- Construction CIS LLP Company 588
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 576
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 374
- Pensions Regulator 344
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 277
- Government Gateway - VAT 271
- Using the correct forms 259
- SA penalty proposals 243
- RTI - duplicate employee record 229
- Accelerated payment notices 224