Building work associated with leasehold premises
My clients have incorporated their business and shortly after, purchased the freehold which they had previosuly rented. The property comprises two shops and a dwelling, on one site. It has been purchased privately by the directors and one shop is rented to the company.
Some improvements are being made - a new shop is being constructed to replace that currently being let to the company and when it is finished the original building will be knocked down. This will improve the layout of the site so that the shop and the dwelling will each have their own driveway.
Having started the accounts I was dismayed to see that the client has been putting the redevelopment costs through the business. Although they can recover the VAT if the company is invoiced, it appears to me that there would be no tax relief on the work at any point unless the owners of the freehold bear the costs in which case they would get tax relief when the property is sold. It also seems to me that the value of the dwelling will be improved by the work done, in which case not all the improvements could be considered relevant to the company anyway.
I feel that the redevelopment costs should be borne by the freehold owners and the directors current account should be adjusted accordingly for costs paid so far. The VAT claimed to date should be repaid.
I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts on this as working in isolation you have to argue every case with yourself!
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 401 15
- Losses carry forward to self employed 14 1
- Time to ditch Sage? 263 4
- Fees 288 3
- Agent Authorisation Issue 248 3
- HMRC Post 532 7
- Transactions with directors 447 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 286 9
- Non VAT invoices 205 4
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 203 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,395 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 256 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 227 2
- Form 17 Download 158 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 561 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 384 4
- HMRC Information notice 994 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 282 3
- Accountant Specialization. 398 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,787 42
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 764
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 414
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 365
- Electric Car 299
- S222 Charge 245
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 210
- IP trans to holding company 196
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 185
- AIA 180
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 178