Building work associated with leasehold premises
My clients have incorporated their business and shortly after, purchased the freehold which they had previosuly rented. The property comprises two shops and a dwelling, on one site. It has been purchased privately by the directors and one shop is rented to the company.
Some improvements are being made - a new shop is being constructed to replace that currently being let to the company and when it is finished the original building will be knocked down. This will improve the layout of the site so that the shop and the dwelling will each have their own driveway.
Having started the accounts I was dismayed to see that the client has been putting the redevelopment costs through the business. Although they can recover the VAT if the company is invoiced, it appears to me that there would be no tax relief on the work at any point unless the owners of the freehold bear the costs in which case they would get tax relief when the property is sold. It also seems to me that the value of the dwelling will be improved by the work done, in which case not all the improvements could be considered relevant to the company anyway.
I feel that the redevelopment costs should be borne by the freehold owners and the directors current account should be adjusted accordingly for costs paid so far. The VAT claimed to date should be repaid.
I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts on this as working in isolation you have to argue every case with yourself!
- Annual director payments for a small limited company 20 1
- Why .... 408 6
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 571 17
- Freehold Property Depreciation 324 15
- VAT - E-commerce site (middle man only) - like Not on the high street 88 2
- More Auto enrolment (sorry) 596 2
- Relevant life plan 127 2
- Claiming VAT without invoice 246 4
- Non domicile swiss bank 41 1
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 401 9
- Accounting for Film Rights 119 4
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 196 2
- Advice needed for Annual Accounting Period - companies house 202 7
- Limited Company expenses 209 6
- How best to declare a mistake on a tax return by previous agent 298 3
- Pylon compensation - what am I missing? 292 5
- Software recommendations? 241 3
- UK taxation of income from property in Cyprus 123 2
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 337 3
- Shares paid - petty cash 220 4
- Possible Partnership? 573
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 491
- New Fangled Penalties 376
- Clubs and Taxable Income 308
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 282
- Loans to other companies 231
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 225
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 196
- Outsource Data Entry 188
- Moving away from CCH software 172