Building work associated with leasehold premises
My clients have incorporated their business and shortly after, purchased the freehold which they had previosuly rented. The property comprises two shops and a dwelling, on one site. It has been purchased privately by the directors and one shop is rented to the company.
Some improvements are being made - a new shop is being constructed to replace that currently being let to the company and when it is finished the original building will be knocked down. This will improve the layout of the site so that the shop and the dwelling will each have their own driveway.
Having started the accounts I was dismayed to see that the client has been putting the redevelopment costs through the business. Although they can recover the VAT if the company is invoiced, it appears to me that there would be no tax relief on the work at any point unless the owners of the freehold bear the costs in which case they would get tax relief when the property is sold. It also seems to me that the value of the dwelling will be improved by the work done, in which case not all the improvements could be considered relevant to the company anyway.
I feel that the redevelopment costs should be borne by the freehold owners and the directors current account should be adjusted accordingly for costs paid so far. The VAT claimed to date should be repaid.
I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts on this as working in isolation you have to argue every case with yourself!
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 59 3
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 119 1
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 57 3
- Is VAT payable on insurance claims received ?? 58 3
- late vat registration and immediate deregistration 120 3
- VAT Registration 315 5
- CIS and Close Company 35 1
- should Van be included in plant or motor vehicles? 60 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 215 6
- VAT Option to tax 423 14
- PPR qualifying period while living in employer accommodation? 112 3
- How far back can you get dates of property purchases 50 1
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,231 19
- husband and wife dividends 401 11
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 143 5
- What is considered an acceptable price for arable farming land 304 6
- Sage Instant Accounts 73 2
- LLP members share of profits 566 31
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 162 1
- why prior period posting will be single entry transaction and it wont have any balance transaction 273 4
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 903
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 633
- Free Tax Legislation? 393
- Director Loan account operation 393
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 317
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 313
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 284
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 217
- Paye procedures for CVA 216
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 177