Building work associated with leasehold premises
My clients have incorporated their business and shortly after, purchased the freehold which they had previosuly rented. The property comprises two shops and a dwelling, on one site. It has been purchased privately by the directors and one shop is rented to the company.
Some improvements are being made - a new shop is being constructed to replace that currently being let to the company and when it is finished the original building will be knocked down. This will improve the layout of the site so that the shop and the dwelling will each have their own driveway.
Having started the accounts I was dismayed to see that the client has been putting the redevelopment costs through the business. Although they can recover the VAT if the company is invoiced, it appears to me that there would be no tax relief on the work at any point unless the owners of the freehold bear the costs in which case they would get tax relief when the property is sold. It also seems to me that the value of the dwelling will be improved by the work done, in which case not all the improvements could be considered relevant to the company anyway.
I feel that the redevelopment costs should be borne by the freehold owners and the directors current account should be adjusted accordingly for costs paid so far. The VAT claimed to date should be repaid.
I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts on this as working in isolation you have to argue every case with yourself!
- Sorry ignore me 611 16
- Limited Company keeping receipts 36 1
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 185 4
- CG34 approved "without prejudice" 214 3
- Is this a scam? 297 4
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,058 16
- SAGE V12 162 4
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,205 21
- VAT questions 278 3
- Invoice Help 95 3
- Accounts formation/ speculative advertising 255 5
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 152 2
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 543 11
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 479 4
- Not ANOTHER bogus HMRC email? 241 3
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 196 4
- Interest on loans between companies 132 3
- One off meeting new client 396 5
- Corporate shareholder question 97 2
- Furniture Rental Business 245 7
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 614
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 516
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 375
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 288
- Cancelled 270
- Cancelled 234
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 178
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 176
- Probiz 157
- What's the market like for temps? 150