Business sale part for cash part for shares
H&W each own 50% of ltd co. Accepted deal for £80k cash & 5% shares in unquoted purchasing co between them plus jobs with purchasing co for both at a decent salary.
Entrepreneurs relief will be available as they meet the conditions, but what about business asset rollover relief on the portion related to the new shares? My initial thought is not as they will each only have 2.5% of the newco, but then I think that they're not getting cash so how can they be expected to cough up CGT?
Also there has been no formal valuation on purchaser so how to value the 5% total shares in that company? Clients, without my input!, have 'valued' the 5% at approx £100k and verbally accepted the deal.
So my questions are
1. How do I determine the value of the shares they are accepting, does it need a formal valuation?
2. Would business asset rollover relief be available on the shares part of the consideration?
3. They are asking about splitting the gain over two tax years to get two annual CGT exempt amounts however as I understand it, it is the point at which the contract becomes unconditional that is the tax point and therefore unless they have two separate contracts a month apart, this will not work. Surely there must be anti-avoidance measures to stop this, and HMRC would argue that it was in fact one sale.
I realise I need to get in contact with my tax helpline about this as it is an area I've not dealt with recently but your guidance is very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance for any input.
- Offsetting CIS tax suffered against CT 157 4
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 381 13
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 466 8
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,736 23
- another ir35!!!! 1,159 8
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 107 2
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 237 11
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,379 42
- Sage 50 139 1
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 218 5
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 199 9
- VAT on motor expenses 917 33
- Introduction of Goodwill 249 6
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 128 2
- Sage 50 (2010) 137 3
- sole trader - operating under cis 120 2
- What does it mean?? 395 11
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 294 13
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 146 3
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 176 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,551
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 855
- International interest certificate 473
- NOVA 330
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 238
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 229
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 214
- Management expenses for investment company 212
- Bonus Bonds 209
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 196