Business sale part for cash part for shares
H&W each own 50% of ltd co. Accepted deal for £80k cash & 5% shares in unquoted purchasing co between them plus jobs with purchasing co for both at a decent salary.
Entrepreneurs relief will be available as they meet the conditions, but what about business asset rollover relief on the portion related to the new shares? My initial thought is not as they will each only have 2.5% of the newco, but then I think that they're not getting cash so how can they be expected to cough up CGT?
Also there has been no formal valuation on purchaser so how to value the 5% total shares in that company? Clients, without my input!, have 'valued' the 5% at approx £100k and verbally accepted the deal.
So my questions are
1. How do I determine the value of the shares they are accepting, does it need a formal valuation?
2. Would business asset rollover relief be available on the shares part of the consideration?
3. They are asking about splitting the gain over two tax years to get two annual CGT exempt amounts however as I understand it, it is the point at which the contract becomes unconditional that is the tax point and therefore unless they have two separate contracts a month apart, this will not work. Surely there must be anti-avoidance measures to stop this, and HMRC would argue that it was in fact one sale.
I realise I need to get in contact with my tax helpline about this as it is an area I've not dealt with recently but your guidance is very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance for any input.
- Deleted question? 716 19
- Accounts Question 79 4
- What are options for non CA firm 3,156 67
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,923 69
- MAAT vs ACCA 687 13
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,382 24
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,911 46
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 638 3
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 426 4
- VAT Return Errors 161 2
- Adjustment to previous self assessments 111 5
- inflation rate year on year 136 3
- Yorkshire Day 590 38
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 176 4
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 175 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 377 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 142 3
- SMP reclaimable by employer 290 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 235 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 149 1
- Cancelled 468
- Cancelled 385
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 375
- Probiz 356
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 260
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 235
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 229
- More spam 183
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 161
- Employee Benefit Trust 151