Business sale part for cash part for shares
H&W each own 50% of ltd co. Accepted deal for £80k cash & 5% shares in unquoted purchasing co between them plus jobs with purchasing co for both at a decent salary.
Entrepreneurs relief will be available as they meet the conditions, but what about business asset rollover relief on the portion related to the new shares? My initial thought is not as they will each only have 2.5% of the newco, but then I think that they're not getting cash so how can they be expected to cough up CGT?
Also there has been no formal valuation on purchaser so how to value the 5% total shares in that company? Clients, without my input!, have 'valued' the 5% at approx £100k and verbally accepted the deal.
So my questions are
1. How do I determine the value of the shares they are accepting, does it need a formal valuation?
2. Would business asset rollover relief be available on the shares part of the consideration?
3. They are asking about splitting the gain over two tax years to get two annual CGT exempt amounts however as I understand it, it is the point at which the contract becomes unconditional that is the tax point and therefore unless they have two separate contracts a month apart, this will not work. Surely there must be anti-avoidance measures to stop this, and HMRC would argue that it was in fact one sale.
I realise I need to get in contact with my tax helpline about this as it is an area I've not dealt with recently but your guidance is very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance for any input.
- Childcare vouchers 351 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 34 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 51 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 44 1
- two business from one premises 172 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 37 1
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 238 4
- HMRC property income enquiry 386 9
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 316 4
- Merry Christmas 99 2
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 75 3
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,073 12
- Anyone else still working this week? 414 13
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,424 9
- Using home as clients registered address 146 3
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 538 12
- Section 165 TCGA 1992 - time limit? 113 2
- How much does the company pay 719 30
- AIA 292 18
- Van Benefit in Kind Query 182 5
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 506
- corporate hierarchy 470
- Advice - 325
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 274
- WWOOFers 264
- The booking.com con 247
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 242
- Cocaine anyone? 230
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 217
- UK State pension paid in NZ 177