Business sale part for cash part for shares
H&W each own 50% of ltd co. Accepted deal for £80k cash & 5% shares in unquoted purchasing co between them plus jobs with purchasing co for both at a decent salary.
Entrepreneurs relief will be available as they meet the conditions, but what about business asset rollover relief on the portion related to the new shares? My initial thought is not as they will each only have 2.5% of the newco, but then I think that they're not getting cash so how can they be expected to cough up CGT?
Also there has been no formal valuation on purchaser so how to value the 5% total shares in that company? Clients, without my input!, have 'valued' the 5% at approx £100k and verbally accepted the deal.
So my questions are
1. How do I determine the value of the shares they are accepting, does it need a formal valuation?
2. Would business asset rollover relief be available on the shares part of the consideration?
3. They are asking about splitting the gain over two tax years to get two annual CGT exempt amounts however as I understand it, it is the point at which the contract becomes unconditional that is the tax point and therefore unless they have two separate contracts a month apart, this will not work. Surely there must be anti-avoidance measures to stop this, and HMRC would argue that it was in fact one sale.
I realise I need to get in contact with my tax helpline about this as it is an area I've not dealt with recently but your guidance is very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance for any input.
- Setting up a practice 309 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 456 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 413 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 221 1
- Love is in the air 503 6
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 649 17
- Stamp Duty 291 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 234 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,785 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 545 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 227 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 258 9
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,023 46
- Client Paperwork Retention? 566 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 573 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 368 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 389 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 450 6
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 495 8
- Sage 50 VAT Return 310 2
- DTA tie-breaker issue 300
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 286
- CGT for NOn UK residents 279
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 275
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 253
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 239
- Apprenticeship Levy 236
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 221
- Capital Gains personal representatives 219
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 199