Business sale part for cash part for shares
H&W each own 50% of ltd co. Accepted deal for £80k cash & 5% shares in unquoted purchasing co between them plus jobs with purchasing co for both at a decent salary.
Entrepreneurs relief will be available as they meet the conditions, but what about business asset rollover relief on the portion related to the new shares? My initial thought is not as they will each only have 2.5% of the newco, but then I think that they're not getting cash so how can they be expected to cough up CGT?
Also there has been no formal valuation on purchaser so how to value the 5% total shares in that company? Clients, without my input!, have 'valued' the 5% at approx £100k and verbally accepted the deal.
So my questions are
1. How do I determine the value of the shares they are accepting, does it need a formal valuation?
2. Would business asset rollover relief be available on the shares part of the consideration?
3. They are asking about splitting the gain over two tax years to get two annual CGT exempt amounts however as I understand it, it is the point at which the contract becomes unconditional that is the tax point and therefore unless they have two separate contracts a month apart, this will not work. Surely there must be anti-avoidance measures to stop this, and HMRC would argue that it was in fact one sale.
I realise I need to get in contact with my tax helpline about this as it is an area I've not dealt with recently but your guidance is very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance for any input.
- Time to ditch Sage? 330 6
- www.pool.adzio 25 1
- Losses carry forward to self employed 112 2
- Fees 368 4
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,845 43
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 457 16
- Agent Authorisation Issue 263 3
- HMRC Post 547 7
- Transactions with directors 461 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 301 9
- Non VAT invoices 227 4
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 226 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,409 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 270 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 239 2
- Form 17 Download 173 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 578 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 395 4
- HMRC Information notice 1,001 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 293 3
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 765
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 416
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 368
- Electric Car 302
- S222 Charge 246
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 212
- IP trans to holding company 196
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 187
- AIA 182
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 180