Business sale part for cash part for shares
H&W each own 50% of ltd co. Accepted deal for £80k cash & 5% shares in unquoted purchasing co between them plus jobs with purchasing co for both at a decent salary.
Entrepreneurs relief will be available as they meet the conditions, but what about business asset rollover relief on the portion related to the new shares? My initial thought is not as they will each only have 2.5% of the newco, but then I think that they're not getting cash so how can they be expected to cough up CGT?
Also there has been no formal valuation on purchaser so how to value the 5% total shares in that company? Clients, without my input!, have 'valued' the 5% at approx £100k and verbally accepted the deal.
So my questions are
1. How do I determine the value of the shares they are accepting, does it need a formal valuation?
2. Would business asset rollover relief be available on the shares part of the consideration?
3. They are asking about splitting the gain over two tax years to get two annual CGT exempt amounts however as I understand it, it is the point at which the contract becomes unconditional that is the tax point and therefore unless they have two separate contracts a month apart, this will not work. Surely there must be anti-avoidance measures to stop this, and HMRC would argue that it was in fact one sale.
I realise I need to get in contact with my tax helpline about this as it is an area I've not dealt with recently but your guidance is very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance for any input.
- Can you get tax deduction for legal fees on sale of debtors 225 8
- How to prepare and Finalize Vat company accounts 39 1
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,403 59
- Investment property company accounts template 249 1
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 245 6
- Can you recognize revenue on asset sold and bought back at a later stage? 52 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 45 2
- Quickbooks expert needed 124 2
- Aggressive HMRC 1,201 14
- Charity reserves 59 1
- Have i messed up? 402 7
- Related Parties Note 291 6
- Client change of address for VAT - can't do it online?! 339 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,331 16
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 470 26
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 246 1
- End of the party for dividends? 1,244 18
- How to format a stock book 368 1
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,381 31
- Disposal of property 99 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 971
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 538
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 350
- Tax efficient holding company structure 278
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 260
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 209
- Charge out rates in London? 190
- Personal consumption by landlord 166
- Interest on Loan to a Company 157
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 151