Business sale part for cash part for shares
H&W each own 50% of ltd co. Accepted deal for £80k cash & 5% shares in unquoted purchasing co between them plus jobs with purchasing co for both at a decent salary.
Entrepreneurs relief will be available as they meet the conditions, but what about business asset rollover relief on the portion related to the new shares? My initial thought is not as they will each only have 2.5% of the newco, but then I think that they're not getting cash so how can they be expected to cough up CGT?
Also there has been no formal valuation on purchaser so how to value the 5% total shares in that company? Clients, without my input!, have 'valued' the 5% at approx £100k and verbally accepted the deal.
So my questions are
1. How do I determine the value of the shares they are accepting, does it need a formal valuation?
2. Would business asset rollover relief be available on the shares part of the consideration?
3. They are asking about splitting the gain over two tax years to get two annual CGT exempt amounts however as I understand it, it is the point at which the contract becomes unconditional that is the tax point and therefore unless they have two separate contracts a month apart, this will not work. Surely there must be anti-avoidance measures to stop this, and HMRC would argue that it was in fact one sale.
I realise I need to get in contact with my tax helpline about this as it is an area I've not dealt with recently but your guidance is very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance for any input.
- Adding shop sales to sage 75 4
- What does the "K" signify 222 6
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 1,079 42
- Self assesment online 68 1
- Most cr*p bank account ever? 292 2
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 350 10
- Dividend amount for company where tax year doesnt go to 31st March 95 3
- Interest Relief 106 3
- Entrepreneurs' relief 453 1
- Amend tax return? 148 3
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 709 26
- New client forgot to take stock count at the year end 352 7
- Tax on devidend in my company who is employee in other company 166 4
- client can't/won't pay 1,656 30
- calculate mortgage interest 391 6
- Self Assessment and P11D 220 6
- Petty cash 85 1
- HMRC SA302s 117 2
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,845 92
- self assessment repayment requesto 570 11
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 887
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 587
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 549
- Latest phishing scam 484
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 359
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 328
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 255
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 252
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 176
- Capital allowances in first basis period 162