Business sale part for cash part for shares
H&W each own 50% of ltd co. Accepted deal for £80k cash & 5% shares in unquoted purchasing co between them plus jobs with purchasing co for both at a decent salary.
Entrepreneurs relief will be available as they meet the conditions, but what about business asset rollover relief on the portion related to the new shares? My initial thought is not as they will each only have 2.5% of the newco, but then I think that they're not getting cash so how can they be expected to cough up CGT?
Also there has been no formal valuation on purchaser so how to value the 5% total shares in that company? Clients, without my input!, have 'valued' the 5% at approx £100k and verbally accepted the deal.
So my questions are
1. How do I determine the value of the shares they are accepting, does it need a formal valuation?
2. Would business asset rollover relief be available on the shares part of the consideration?
3. They are asking about splitting the gain over two tax years to get two annual CGT exempt amounts however as I understand it, it is the point at which the contract becomes unconditional that is the tax point and therefore unless they have two separate contracts a month apart, this will not work. Surely there must be anti-avoidance measures to stop this, and HMRC would argue that it was in fact one sale.
I realise I need to get in contact with my tax helpline about this as it is an area I've not dealt with recently but your guidance is very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance for any input.
- Profit split /Rent 107 3
- Is it possible and what should be done? 209 3
- Unhappy client over fees 1,479 35
- Capital Gains Tax and Enhancement 86 2
- Do HMRC impose harsher penalties on unrepresented taxpayers? 226 3
- Accounting software for investment holding company 198 2
- Disposal of freehold from Ltd Co to another Ltd in a newly formed group 97 1
- Is a Business Bank Account compulsory for a sole trader? 252 5
- Multi user accounting software 150 2
- S455 tax on existing loans on becoming a participator 124 1
- Does QuickBooks Online have aged debtors and creditors reports? 232 2
- Remortgage costs on redidential lettings 209 2
- Self-employed: claiming expenses initially paid by somebody else 420 11
- do i need an online accounting software 564 7
- VAT DIY self build shceme 126 1
- COMPANIES HOUSE - DOWN LOAD FREE ACCOUNTS 697 17
- Employee expenses & benefits - bringing myself up to date 261 1
- Backdating Partnership registration to 14/15 1,040 16
- Can you claim part of the AIA and WDAs on the remainder 212 2
- Bank account security - Kashflow 334 4
- NHS finance professionals 794
- Foreign Pension Contribution 479
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 474
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 408
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 376
- IFA income recognition & reporting 282
- Are subsistence claims firmly attached to the 24 month rule ? 266
- Form P55 in year tax repayment claim for non-resident 257
- FRM claim for travel to training course 213
- When is sale recognised in an agency who receives commission? 213