Business sale part for cash part for shares
H&W each own 50% of ltd co. Accepted deal for £80k cash & 5% shares in unquoted purchasing co between them plus jobs with purchasing co for both at a decent salary.
Entrepreneurs relief will be available as they meet the conditions, but what about business asset rollover relief on the portion related to the new shares? My initial thought is not as they will each only have 2.5% of the newco, but then I think that they're not getting cash so how can they be expected to cough up CGT?
Also there has been no formal valuation on purchaser so how to value the 5% total shares in that company? Clients, without my input!, have 'valued' the 5% at approx £100k and verbally accepted the deal.
So my questions are
1. How do I determine the value of the shares they are accepting, does it need a formal valuation?
2. Would business asset rollover relief be available on the shares part of the consideration?
3. They are asking about splitting the gain over two tax years to get two annual CGT exempt amounts however as I understand it, it is the point at which the contract becomes unconditional that is the tax point and therefore unless they have two separate contracts a month apart, this will not work. Surely there must be anti-avoidance measures to stop this, and HMRC would argue that it was in fact one sale.
I realise I need to get in contact with my tax helpline about this as it is an area I've not dealt with recently but your guidance is very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance for any input.
- Interprise software 71 1
- TAX, VAT and non-UK residence 498 19
- Charity accounting 258 6
- Outsourcing Payroll 80 1
- sage 103 3
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 151 4
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 1,049 13
- ATT Exam tips and study help 202 4
- NO SUCH THING AS UNQUALIED ACCOUNTANT 123 1
- FBI2 199 3
- Double entry 167 4
- Companies House 140 3
- Small house in garden 146 1
- THE PUBLIC SECTOR SUCKS 140 2
- Clients 920 18
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 288 12
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 147 5
- Accountants not providing all required information 276 4
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 310 5
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 129 5
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 537
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 468
- EPS and CIS deductions 327
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 310
- Construction CIS LLP Company 300
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 295
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 263
- Overdrawn director account 217
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 204
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 199