Business sale part for cash part for shares
H&W each own 50% of ltd co. Accepted deal for £80k cash & 5% shares in unquoted purchasing co between them plus jobs with purchasing co for both at a decent salary.
Entrepreneurs relief will be available as they meet the conditions, but what about business asset rollover relief on the portion related to the new shares? My initial thought is not as they will each only have 2.5% of the newco, but then I think that they're not getting cash so how can they be expected to cough up CGT?
Also there has been no formal valuation on purchaser so how to value the 5% total shares in that company? Clients, without my input!, have 'valued' the 5% at approx £100k and verbally accepted the deal.
So my questions are
1. How do I determine the value of the shares they are accepting, does it need a formal valuation?
2. Would business asset rollover relief be available on the shares part of the consideration?
3. They are asking about splitting the gain over two tax years to get two annual CGT exempt amounts however as I understand it, it is the point at which the contract becomes unconditional that is the tax point and therefore unless they have two separate contracts a month apart, this will not work. Surely there must be anti-avoidance measures to stop this, and HMRC would argue that it was in fact one sale.
I realise I need to get in contact with my tax helpline about this as it is an area I've not dealt with recently but your guidance is very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance for any input.
- How does one compete? 688 9
- Great Service 1,259 17
- Keytime 324 4
- Deadline for appeal against late filing 136 2
- About your hairdresser clients 531 21
- Pool vehicle with age restriction 102 2
- Ouch. Those penalties sting 2,594 29
- Income for self employed associate dentist? 136 1
- Redundancy for husband and wife ltd co 138 2
- Transferring Shares From Manx Co to Cayman Island Co 141 3
- Nine-Page Engagement Letters 766 13
- Trust setting on HMRC CT600 133 4
- Employee tears suit... 259 3
- PAYE & NIC 771 35
- Related party not trading -should debt be written off ? 91 1
- Income £10k salary and £20k net dividends 494 16
- £NIL EPS's wiping out CIS deductions 290 4
- When was the requirement for Ltd. company to have at least two shareholders abolished? 243 5
- HMRC's "HVA" list .... High Volume Agents 747 9
- Sports Club and Partial Exemption for VAT 195 1
- Sanzar 533
- Digital marketing focus group 416
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 385
- Sainsbury's mangement 381
- Continuity Agreement 356
- Avanti Accounts 355
- Buyback 308
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 256
- Aggresive sales from Iris 253
- Charity volunteers and mileage 216