Business sale part for cash part for shares
H&W each own 50% of ltd co. Accepted deal for £80k cash & 5% shares in unquoted purchasing co between them plus jobs with purchasing co for both at a decent salary.
Entrepreneurs relief will be available as they meet the conditions, but what about business asset rollover relief on the portion related to the new shares? My initial thought is not as they will each only have 2.5% of the newco, but then I think that they're not getting cash so how can they be expected to cough up CGT?
Also there has been no formal valuation on purchaser so how to value the 5% total shares in that company? Clients, without my input!, have 'valued' the 5% at approx £100k and verbally accepted the deal.
So my questions are
1. How do I determine the value of the shares they are accepting, does it need a formal valuation?
2. Would business asset rollover relief be available on the shares part of the consideration?
3. They are asking about splitting the gain over two tax years to get two annual CGT exempt amounts however as I understand it, it is the point at which the contract becomes unconditional that is the tax point and therefore unless they have two separate contracts a month apart, this will not work. Surely there must be anti-avoidance measures to stop this, and HMRC would argue that it was in fact one sale.
I realise I need to get in contact with my tax helpline about this as it is an area I've not dealt with recently but your guidance is very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance for any input.
- CT600 15 1
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 141 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 76 2
- signature required 408 18
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 52 4
- Pratice Management Software 23 1
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 175 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 100 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 172 2
- Homing sandwiches 347 9
- Related Party Transactions 98 2
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 146 4
- UK resident receiving USA pension 50 1
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 454 9
- Sage payroll alternatives 750 13
- More AE! 754 17
- Web sites 236 3
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 595 13
- Dispensation 173 3
- Is laminated flooring an improvement on carpets? 506 14
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,229
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 810
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 510
- Digita Hosted Software 334
- Credit where credit's due....... 307
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 234
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 184
- TheTax Donut 172
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 155
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 155