Business sale part for cash part for shares
H&W each own 50% of ltd co. Accepted deal for £80k cash & 5% shares in unquoted purchasing co between them plus jobs with purchasing co for both at a decent salary.
Entrepreneurs relief will be available as they meet the conditions, but what about business asset rollover relief on the portion related to the new shares? My initial thought is not as they will each only have 2.5% of the newco, but then I think that they're not getting cash so how can they be expected to cough up CGT?
Also there has been no formal valuation on purchaser so how to value the 5% total shares in that company? Clients, without my input!, have 'valued' the 5% at approx £100k and verbally accepted the deal.
So my questions are
1. How do I determine the value of the shares they are accepting, does it need a formal valuation?
2. Would business asset rollover relief be available on the shares part of the consideration?
3. They are asking about splitting the gain over two tax years to get two annual CGT exempt amounts however as I understand it, it is the point at which the contract becomes unconditional that is the tax point and therefore unless they have two separate contracts a month apart, this will not work. Surely there must be anti-avoidance measures to stop this, and HMRC would argue that it was in fact one sale.
I realise I need to get in contact with my tax helpline about this as it is an area I've not dealt with recently but your guidance is very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance for any input.
- Working out a daily rate 59 5
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,815 62
- Auto enrolment 1,187 13
- Payroll dates 69 5
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 270 8
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 399 23
- Withholding of tax 66 1
- missing 907 20
- Self-employed b/f losses 127 3
- Santander Scrip Dividend Scheme 75 1
- are receipts needed? 120 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 504 16
- sole trader - operating under cis 186 4
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 142 7
- Partnership merger 81 1
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 713 25
- Know it alls (who don't) 838 19
- VAT on motor expenses 995 36
- Incorporation with pending court case 183 3
- Reposted question 162 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,570
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 868
- International interest certificate 478
- NOVA 335
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 245
- Management expenses for investment company 226
- Bonus Bonds 224
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 215
- Help with tax codes on Sage 167
- Capital reduction 159