Business sale part for cash part for shares
H&W each own 50% of ltd co. Accepted deal for £80k cash & 5% shares in unquoted purchasing co between them plus jobs with purchasing co for both at a decent salary.
Entrepreneurs relief will be available as they meet the conditions, but what about business asset rollover relief on the portion related to the new shares? My initial thought is not as they will each only have 2.5% of the newco, but then I think that they're not getting cash so how can they be expected to cough up CGT?
Also there has been no formal valuation on purchaser so how to value the 5% total shares in that company? Clients, without my input!, have 'valued' the 5% at approx £100k and verbally accepted the deal.
So my questions are
1. How do I determine the value of the shares they are accepting, does it need a formal valuation?
2. Would business asset rollover relief be available on the shares part of the consideration?
3. They are asking about splitting the gain over two tax years to get two annual CGT exempt amounts however as I understand it, it is the point at which the contract becomes unconditional that is the tax point and therefore unless they have two separate contracts a month apart, this will not work. Surely there must be anti-avoidance measures to stop this, and HMRC would argue that it was in fact one sale.
I realise I need to get in contact with my tax helpline about this as it is an area I've not dealt with recently but your guidance is very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance for any input.
- More HMRC on gov.uk 156 4
- UK Tax Treatment of Finance Lease Payments 139 3
- Employed clients and expenses 816 15
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 595 21
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 263 3
- Auto Enrolment set up 374 3
- Loan to Partnership is s455 tax relevant? 530 18
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 427 9
- Interflora florist 80 1
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 290 6
- Directors loan accounts 423 10
- Income Self employed 547 8
- Know it alls (who don't) 1,204 22
- Contingent Liability - Copyright Dispute - Disclosure ? 257 7
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 352 7
- Payment for Promotional Samples 261 1
- Transactions between Associated Companies 123 2
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,038 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 703 29
- Taxfiler V's BTC 920 34
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 542
- NOVA 490
- Bonus Bonds 376
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 354
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 275
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 240
- Friendly Pensions 172
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 157
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 145
- Finance Lease 141