Can we keep 2 weeks wages as security?
We are a small business just about a year old. We have problems with some staff leaving without our stipulated 2 weeks notice . Our salaries are not the most lucrative around but they are fair. Staff are fully aware of the salary when they apply and accept the job.
Can we legally include in the contract that we will be holding two weeks wages as security, so that they lose it if they leave without the notice?
It sounds harsh, so are there any alternatives?
Appreciate all the answers, as our accountant is not sure either.
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 334 4
- transitioning payroll 147 4
- Legal title not in the company name 160 9
- VAT - Recharge 54 1
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,539 59
- Should VAT be charged when land is transferred as part of a TOGC 147 3
- Deduction from Salary 190 5
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,737 30
- Car financed by employee 185 2
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 112 1
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 621 16
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 155 3
- Dividend payment date 2,189 37
- VAT online filing exemptions 157 2
- Employed (by own company) and Self Employed - Tax Efficiency 178 2
- One off meeting new client 1,427 13
- Sole-trader renting commmercial property from himself & spouse. 307 6
- Child tax credits 231 4
- Car leasing scheme 226 1
- 12 Pay Problems 190 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 360
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 303
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 278
- Probiz 267
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 225
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 220
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 197
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 169