Can you claim astrology fees as a business expense?
A friend of mine is a writer. This friend is very 'into' indian astrology and it's remedies, known as yagyas. These are special performances conducted by vedic pundits to bring about specific outcomes, such as to avert problems predicted in a jyotish chart. Indian Astrology is called Jyotish.
My friend paid for a number of these performances, called yagyas, to remedy obstacles seen to the success of my friend's writing from time to time. This is also quite a common thing for Hindus to do, as vedic knowledge including jyotish and yagyas are a well established part of their culture.
It seems to work, as my friend has been published by Time Warner several times, Faber, and more recently Random House. Yagyas were performed specifically to bring about this success at key points in my friend's career, such as when a synopsis was submitted to an editor, or when deciding on a new agent.
My friend pays substantial tax on earnings and wants to offset the not inconsiderable costs (£1000s) of having these yagyas performed for business purposes. Are there accountants specialising in such things.
I know of at least one business where yagya costs were successfully taken into account for UK tax purposes. Have you any knowledge or experience of this. What does the law say?
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 554 16
- RTI submission different to HMRC 1,598 28
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 398 8
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,355 15
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,622 19
- "Audit Report" 186 3
- Free invoicing software 240 3
- When are ltd companies "associated" for Vat and tax purposes? 136 2
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 216 4
- IR35 Low, medium or high risk 114 1
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 766 19
- Terminal Losses - Online filing 214 4
- VAT on Hire Purchase 239 2
- Coding Notice 262 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 280 6
- New business - journal entries 438 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 247 3
- Payroll software 673 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 305 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 416 10
- Auto enrolment excuses 913
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 729
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 418
- Social investment tax relief 225
- Digita Hosted Software 224
- accounting for this transaction 215
- Call Centre Data Costs 208
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 191
- Incorporating Sole Trade and bringing in spouse 184
- Travel costs and contractors 179