Can you claim astrology fees as a business expense?
A friend of mine is a writer. This friend is very 'into' indian astrology and it's remedies, known as yagyas. These are special performances conducted by vedic pundits to bring about specific outcomes, such as to avert problems predicted in a jyotish chart. Indian Astrology is called Jyotish.
My friend paid for a number of these performances, called yagyas, to remedy obstacles seen to the success of my friend's writing from time to time. This is also quite a common thing for Hindus to do, as vedic knowledge including jyotish and yagyas are a well established part of their culture.
It seems to work, as my friend has been published by Time Warner several times, Faber, and more recently Random House. Yagyas were performed specifically to bring about this success at key points in my friend's career, such as when a synopsis was submitted to an editor, or when deciding on a new agent.
My friend pays substantial tax on earnings and wants to offset the not inconsiderable costs (£1000s) of having these yagyas performed for business purposes. Are there accountants specialising in such things.
I know of at least one business where yagya costs were successfully taken into account for UK tax purposes. Have you any knowledge or experience of this. What does the law say?
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 174 5
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 885 40
- What sectors to target? 365 16
- Treatment of Asset Disposal for Tax Purposes 51 2
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,295 40
- Journals to Creditors Control 77 2
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 450 16
- Companies House late filing penalties 3,160 105
- Refusing to complete a tax return 497 11
- Repayment of maternity pay 116 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 156 9
- Duplicate emails from AWeb 146 10
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 879 16
- Self assesment online 599 7
- Dissolved company with o/s corporation tax 252 6
- Practice management 252 4
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 467 6
- More NI or same 152 1
- Simplified use of home - contradiction 279 4
- maternity allowance for self employed individual 183 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 913
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 629
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 588
- Latest phishing scam 555
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 384
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 288
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 211
- Scratch Head 200
- Capital allowances in first basis period 199
- Sabbatical payments 185