Can you claim astrology fees as a business expense?
A friend of mine is a writer. This friend is very 'into' indian astrology and it's remedies, known as yagyas. These are special performances conducted by vedic pundits to bring about specific outcomes, such as to avert problems predicted in a jyotish chart. Indian Astrology is called Jyotish.
My friend paid for a number of these performances, called yagyas, to remedy obstacles seen to the success of my friend's writing from time to time. This is also quite a common thing for Hindus to do, as vedic knowledge including jyotish and yagyas are a well established part of their culture.
It seems to work, as my friend has been published by Time Warner several times, Faber, and more recently Random House. Yagyas were performed specifically to bring about this success at key points in my friend's career, such as when a synopsis was submitted to an editor, or when deciding on a new agent.
My friend pays substantial tax on earnings and wants to offset the not inconsiderable costs (£1000s) of having these yagyas performed for business purposes. Are there accountants specialising in such things.
I know of at least one business where yagya costs were successfully taken into account for UK tax purposes. Have you any knowledge or experience of this. What does the law say?
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 394 5
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,762 47
- Small company audit 201 8
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 202 5
- What can my client claim r & d on? 212 5
- Redundancy pay for directors? 150 4
- Problem partnership fees 118 1
- Car financed by employee 101 1
- Potential Customer Under VAT Threshold 96 1
- Undisclosed income 168 3
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 294 8
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 244 4
- Private Investment Company 138 1
- How familiar are accountants with community interest companies? 118 1
- New company - form a group? 199 3
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 799 17
- CIC Company 434 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,709 57
- Is this a scam? 821 8
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 163 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 605
- Cancelled 350
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 337
- Cancelled 288
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 260
- Probiz 247
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 203
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 188
- Car leasing scheme 184
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 178