Can you claim astrology fees as a business expense?
A friend of mine is a writer. This friend is very 'into' indian astrology and it's remedies, known as yagyas. These are special performances conducted by vedic pundits to bring about specific outcomes, such as to avert problems predicted in a jyotish chart. Indian Astrology is called Jyotish.
My friend paid for a number of these performances, called yagyas, to remedy obstacles seen to the success of my friend's writing from time to time. This is also quite a common thing for Hindus to do, as vedic knowledge including jyotish and yagyas are a well established part of their culture.
It seems to work, as my friend has been published by Time Warner several times, Faber, and more recently Random House. Yagyas were performed specifically to bring about this success at key points in my friend's career, such as when a synopsis was submitted to an editor, or when deciding on a new agent.
My friend pays substantial tax on earnings and wants to offset the not inconsiderable costs (£1000s) of having these yagyas performed for business purposes. Are there accountants specialising in such things.
I know of at least one business where yagya costs were successfully taken into account for UK tax purposes. Have you any knowledge or experience of this. What does the law say?
- Directors self assessment 84 2
- Employer's Helpline 203 1
- Employment Allowance Incorrectly Claimed for Domestic Payroll 66 2
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 173 1
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,740 70
- Sick pay 201 5
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,527 501
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 1,070 8
- Undeclared rental income 345 6
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 927 27
- Penalties for an amended p35 (2012/13) 112 2
- Home Use Costs in Company Accounts ? 258 5
- 2 sole traders merging to become a limited company what do they need? 293 10
- Unfurnished Lettings Expenditure 241 6
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 440 20
- cross border vat 146 3
- Which profit figure to use 203 2
- Audit partner? 373 7
- home office expenses as a director 218 6
- Drop box Storage 941 9
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,409
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 537
- National Insurance 438
- Non Resident 328
- Hands on experience of Digita 257
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 246
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 163
- Umbrella pay services 140
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 121
- VAT on ESS via Apple, Google, Nokia - 120