Can you claim astrology fees as a business expense?
A friend of mine is a writer. This friend is very 'into' indian astrology and it's remedies, known as yagyas. These are special performances conducted by vedic pundits to bring about specific outcomes, such as to avert problems predicted in a jyotish chart. Indian Astrology is called Jyotish.
My friend paid for a number of these performances, called yagyas, to remedy obstacles seen to the success of my friend's writing from time to time. This is also quite a common thing for Hindus to do, as vedic knowledge including jyotish and yagyas are a well established part of their culture.
It seems to work, as my friend has been published by Time Warner several times, Faber, and more recently Random House. Yagyas were performed specifically to bring about this success at key points in my friend's career, such as when a synopsis was submitted to an editor, or when deciding on a new agent.
My friend pays substantial tax on earnings and wants to offset the not inconsiderable costs (£1000s) of having these yagyas performed for business purposes. Are there accountants specialising in such things.
I know of at least one business where yagya costs were successfully taken into account for UK tax purposes. Have you any knowledge or experience of this. What does the law say?
- What would you do? 431 3
- The importance of Grammar 1,428 46
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 315 7
- tax saving on card points 284 8
- "cycle to work" and self-employment benefit? 330 8
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 244 2
- Freelance/Employee 128 5
- Moneysoft - technical query 550 17
- Profit split from an investment property 235 7
- VAT - How hard is it? 808 29
- VAT & Offshore Companies 258 7
- VAT and customer entertaining 262 4
- Hold on a minute (pun intended) 1,329 11
- Xero Pain Points 573 18
- supply teachers working through Ltd co 200 2
- Best way to draw a salary? 730 12
- PI cover 260 4
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 980 15
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,491 39
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 282 6
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 377
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 335
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 314
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 301
- Electric Car 253
- S222 Charge 220
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 216
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 202
- Company Structure 197
- Does anyone know the name and postal address of HMRC's Data controller? 187