Can you claim astrology fees as a business expense?
A friend of mine is a writer. This friend is very 'into' indian astrology and it's remedies, known as yagyas. These are special performances conducted by vedic pundits to bring about specific outcomes, such as to avert problems predicted in a jyotish chart. Indian Astrology is called Jyotish.
My friend paid for a number of these performances, called yagyas, to remedy obstacles seen to the success of my friend's writing from time to time. This is also quite a common thing for Hindus to do, as vedic knowledge including jyotish and yagyas are a well established part of their culture.
It seems to work, as my friend has been published by Time Warner several times, Faber, and more recently Random House. Yagyas were performed specifically to bring about this success at key points in my friend's career, such as when a synopsis was submitted to an editor, or when deciding on a new agent.
My friend pays substantial tax on earnings and wants to offset the not inconsiderable costs (£1000s) of having these yagyas performed for business purposes. Are there accountants specialising in such things.
I know of at least one business where yagya costs were successfully taken into account for UK tax purposes. Have you any knowledge or experience of this. What does the law say?
- Audit Report Query 166 5
- Quarterly PAYE 138 5
- Coming in from the cold 159 2
- Employment Allowance related companies 60 2
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 233 9
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,274 26
- VAT Query re: Foreign VAT 47 1
- Should design costs be capitalised? 122 3
- Issuing an invoice as an individual (non UK resident) 55 1
- Thats Better 235 6
- Fee's for P11D's 236 3
- Value pricing 536 18
- reporting salary? 125 2
- apprentices 76 1
- Sage Payroll 246 10
- VAT 141 2
- Belated VAT Exception Application 221 7
- Enforcing A CCJ 246 6
- Multiple PAYE Schemes 127 2
- Childcare Vouchers 152 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 762
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 518
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 389
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 364
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 273
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 213
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 212
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 195
- Director Loan account operation 193
- vat return 161