Can you claim astrology fees as a business expense?
A friend of mine is a writer. This friend is very 'into' indian astrology and it's remedies, known as yagyas. These are special performances conducted by vedic pundits to bring about specific outcomes, such as to avert problems predicted in a jyotish chart. Indian Astrology is called Jyotish.
My friend paid for a number of these performances, called yagyas, to remedy obstacles seen to the success of my friend's writing from time to time. This is also quite a common thing for Hindus to do, as vedic knowledge including jyotish and yagyas are a well established part of their culture.
It seems to work, as my friend has been published by Time Warner several times, Faber, and more recently Random House. Yagyas were performed specifically to bring about this success at key points in my friend's career, such as when a synopsis was submitted to an editor, or when deciding on a new agent.
My friend pays substantial tax on earnings and wants to offset the not inconsiderable costs (£1000s) of having these yagyas performed for business purposes. Are there accountants specialising in such things.
I know of at least one business where yagya costs were successfully taken into account for UK tax purposes. Have you any knowledge or experience of this. What does the law say?
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 314 9
- How much does the company pay 380 11
- HMRC property income enquiry 215 6
- Anyone else still working this week? 238 6
- I have done a terrible thing 478 13
- LLp Profits 122 5
- Consolidation Software 98 1
- two business from one premises 103 2
- AIA 227 16
- Company car but paying for insurance personally - reduces benefit in kind? 313 20
- partnership tax return 137 5
- Client has already received 13/14 tax refund 153 2
- How to deal with CGT relief on Directors Loan following company sale 86 2
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 295 6
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 1,160 27
- s455 tax 130 3
- Van Benefit in Kind Query 95 1
- Am I getting Soft?? 586 12
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 208 3
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,501 44
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 497
- corporate hierarchy 464
- Advice - 315
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 265
- WWOOFers 254
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 232
- The booking.com con 230
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 213
- Cocaine anyone? 209
- UK State pension paid in NZ 173