Can you claim astrology fees as a business expense?
A friend of mine is a writer. This friend is very 'into' indian astrology and it's remedies, known as yagyas. These are special performances conducted by vedic pundits to bring about specific outcomes, such as to avert problems predicted in a jyotish chart. Indian Astrology is called Jyotish.
My friend paid for a number of these performances, called yagyas, to remedy obstacles seen to the success of my friend's writing from time to time. This is also quite a common thing for Hindus to do, as vedic knowledge including jyotish and yagyas are a well established part of their culture.
It seems to work, as my friend has been published by Time Warner several times, Faber, and more recently Random House. Yagyas were performed specifically to bring about this success at key points in my friend's career, such as when a synopsis was submitted to an editor, or when deciding on a new agent.
My friend pays substantial tax on earnings and wants to offset the not inconsiderable costs (£1000s) of having these yagyas performed for business purposes. Are there accountants specialising in such things.
I know of at least one business where yagya costs were successfully taken into account for UK tax purposes. Have you any knowledge or experience of this. What does the law say?
- SATR - ommission of capital gains 87 1
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,273 19
- Scanners 174 4
- Overdrawn Directors Loan Account 97 1
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 167 5
- Solar panels - VAT and Capital allowances 234 3
- Recharge for private use of a company car 405 9
- Payment plans for clients 129 2
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 233 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 251 7
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 393 2
- Should I move back home away from my office? 449 9
- P60 or payslips? 99 1
- Property income in different capacities 111 1
- IHT dilemma 1,386 21
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 195 1
- IT advisory questions? 181 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 799 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 154 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 532 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,163
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 799
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 490
- Digita Hosted Software 322
- Credit where credit's due....... 275
- Director phone costs 240
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 228
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 205
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 160
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 141