Can you claim astrology fees as a business expense?
A friend of mine is a writer. This friend is very 'into' indian astrology and it's remedies, known as yagyas. These are special performances conducted by vedic pundits to bring about specific outcomes, such as to avert problems predicted in a jyotish chart. Indian Astrology is called Jyotish.
My friend paid for a number of these performances, called yagyas, to remedy obstacles seen to the success of my friend's writing from time to time. This is also quite a common thing for Hindus to do, as vedic knowledge including jyotish and yagyas are a well established part of their culture.
It seems to work, as my friend has been published by Time Warner several times, Faber, and more recently Random House. Yagyas were performed specifically to bring about this success at key points in my friend's career, such as when a synopsis was submitted to an editor, or when deciding on a new agent.
My friend pays substantial tax on earnings and wants to offset the not inconsiderable costs (£1000s) of having these yagyas performed for business purposes. Are there accountants specialising in such things.
I know of at least one business where yagya costs were successfully taken into account for UK tax purposes. Have you any knowledge or experience of this. What does the law say?
- Does buying a block of fees qualify as goodwill 89 1
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 202 10
- Incorrect Generic non-filing notice 86 1
- Added years superannuation 72 2
- Giving a seminar 539 30
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 202 1
- JIEB Exams 138 1
- RTI 102 1
- Christmas party 116 1
- Am i Liable? 143 4
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 746 10
- Checking a contract 296 8
- Flat Rate Scheme 313 15
- Altered PAYE cheque 238 5
- deleting customers on Sage 50 162 7
- VAT on garage rent 328 14
- Value-shifting 81 1
- Pattern for CTA 212 4
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 455 18
- SDLT exemptions/reliefs 84 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,220
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 609
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 410
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 316
- Alphabet shares 192
- Agent fees to sell business 190
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 183
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 178
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 167
- Office recharges 150