Can you claim astrology fees as a business expense?
A friend of mine is a writer. This friend is very 'into' indian astrology and it's remedies, known as yagyas. These are special performances conducted by vedic pundits to bring about specific outcomes, such as to avert problems predicted in a jyotish chart. Indian Astrology is called Jyotish.
My friend paid for a number of these performances, called yagyas, to remedy obstacles seen to the success of my friend's writing from time to time. This is also quite a common thing for Hindus to do, as vedic knowledge including jyotish and yagyas are a well established part of their culture.
It seems to work, as my friend has been published by Time Warner several times, Faber, and more recently Random House. Yagyas were performed specifically to bring about this success at key points in my friend's career, such as when a synopsis was submitted to an editor, or when deciding on a new agent.
My friend pays substantial tax on earnings and wants to offset the not inconsiderable costs (£1000s) of having these yagyas performed for business purposes. Are there accountants specialising in such things.
I know of at least one business where yagya costs were successfully taken into account for UK tax purposes. Have you any knowledge or experience of this. What does the law say?
- Employment Intermediaries 39 2
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,643 30
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 402 5
- CGT on selling company shares 217 9
- do i need an online accounting software 165 4
- transfer of invesments from company name to individual 150 3
- Moneysoft Payroll 667 16
- Companies House Search 366 4
- Property gift to sister 291 8
- VAT dergistration confirmation? 100 2
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 1,684 28
- VAT Triangulation Service UK - UK - EC 166 3
- Who gets the CGT deduction 293 4
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 657 9
- VAT training 405 4
- Mixing up NI numbers under RTI 289 7
- 31st october deadline 410 6
- RTI Late Registration query 160 1
- Treatment of one-off payments to non-employees 276 2
- Payroll software 215 1
- NHS finance professionals 719
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 431
- Foreign Pension Contribution 407
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 390
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 388
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 346
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 308
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 292
- Incorporating doctors 234
- IFA income recognition & reporting 230