Can you claim astrology fees as a business expense?
A friend of mine is a writer. This friend is very 'into' indian astrology and it's remedies, known as yagyas. These are special performances conducted by vedic pundits to bring about specific outcomes, such as to avert problems predicted in a jyotish chart. Indian Astrology is called Jyotish.
My friend paid for a number of these performances, called yagyas, to remedy obstacles seen to the success of my friend's writing from time to time. This is also quite a common thing for Hindus to do, as vedic knowledge including jyotish and yagyas are a well established part of their culture.
It seems to work, as my friend has been published by Time Warner several times, Faber, and more recently Random House. Yagyas were performed specifically to bring about this success at key points in my friend's career, such as when a synopsis was submitted to an editor, or when deciding on a new agent.
My friend pays substantial tax on earnings and wants to offset the not inconsiderable costs (£1000s) of having these yagyas performed for business purposes. Are there accountants specialising in such things.
I know of at least one business where yagya costs were successfully taken into account for UK tax purposes. Have you any knowledge or experience of this. What does the law say?
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 1,015 56
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 240 2
- Dental practice incorpration 105 1
- Audit rules 151 4
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 222 5
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 811 20
- Go Cardless 257 8
- business entertaining deductibility 118 1
- Self assessment tax arrears 131 2
- R & D 101 3
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 72 1
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 107 2
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 152 3
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 148 1
- New Business Registration 212 5
- Hosted email exchange 130 4
- Excel formula for UK corporation tax including losses 145 1
- G P life time allowance 113 3
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 372 11
- Bringing money to Uk 217 3
- Xtuple 501
- Qtac payroll for bureau 335
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 280
- Industrial & Provident Societies 276
- Mehjoo 220
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 218
- New strategic report 170
- Domain name sale and limited company 159
- South African Government Pension 154
- CIS schemes 149