Can you claim astrology fees as a business expense?
A friend of mine is a writer. This friend is very 'into' indian astrology and it's remedies, known as yagyas. These are special performances conducted by vedic pundits to bring about specific outcomes, such as to avert problems predicted in a jyotish chart. Indian Astrology is called Jyotish.
My friend paid for a number of these performances, called yagyas, to remedy obstacles seen to the success of my friend's writing from time to time. This is also quite a common thing for Hindus to do, as vedic knowledge including jyotish and yagyas are a well established part of their culture.
It seems to work, as my friend has been published by Time Warner several times, Faber, and more recently Random House. Yagyas were performed specifically to bring about this success at key points in my friend's career, such as when a synopsis was submitted to an editor, or when deciding on a new agent.
My friend pays substantial tax on earnings and wants to offset the not inconsiderable costs (£1000s) of having these yagyas performed for business purposes. Are there accountants specialising in such things.
I know of at least one business where yagya costs were successfully taken into account for UK tax purposes. Have you any knowledge or experience of this. What does the law say?
- Gift or Capital Gain? 337 10
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 267 4
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 888 25
- Abolish the penalty regime 83 3
- IHT Query 139 3
- Statutary sick pay 178 1
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 258 4
- Director Salary 354 2
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 331 6
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 295 7
- Capital Gain? 426 11
- Reversing out RTI 180 5
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 305 9
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 283 6
- BrightPay 628 18
- Classic cars investment 250 7
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 332 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 376 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 282 9
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 291 2
- Possible Partnership? 449
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 420
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 417
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 363
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 218
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 215
- Clubs and Taxable Income 206
- Income tax on foreign dividends 197
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 192
- New Fangled Penalties 165