Can you claim astrology fees as a business expense?
A friend of mine is a writer. This friend is very 'into' indian astrology and it's remedies, known as yagyas. These are special performances conducted by vedic pundits to bring about specific outcomes, such as to avert problems predicted in a jyotish chart. Indian Astrology is called Jyotish.
My friend paid for a number of these performances, called yagyas, to remedy obstacles seen to the success of my friend's writing from time to time. This is also quite a common thing for Hindus to do, as vedic knowledge including jyotish and yagyas are a well established part of their culture.
It seems to work, as my friend has been published by Time Warner several times, Faber, and more recently Random House. Yagyas were performed specifically to bring about this success at key points in my friend's career, such as when a synopsis was submitted to an editor, or when deciding on a new agent.
My friend pays substantial tax on earnings and wants to offset the not inconsiderable costs (£1000s) of having these yagyas performed for business purposes. Are there accountants specialising in such things.
I know of at least one business where yagya costs were successfully taken into account for UK tax purposes. Have you any knowledge or experience of this. What does the law say?
- SAGE - Filtering Inactive Suppliers/Customers 113 2
- Personal allowance 408 10
- Workshops centred around Xero 456 12
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 134 3
- Scams are not always obvious 685 19
- RTI, no payroll but BIK 108 1
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 106 2
- VAT on long lease in comercial property thathas opted to Tax 87 3
- Related party disclosures 168 3
- Input vat on my fees after deregistration 178 2
- Charity Buildings and Zero-rated Vat 73 1
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 610 17
- 100% FYA, do I have to cliam all of it in 1 year? 225 4
- Vat query - EU customer requesting invoice without charging vat 246 8
- Is this legal? 622 9
- Market Value/Connected Persons 186 7
- Saying NO to a time wasters 1,990 23
- Cells from many sheets 124 2
- Taxation of rental income 205 4
- notice of consent by surrendering company group relief 137 6
- New Fangled Penalties 1,041
- Moving away from CCH software 902
- Recruitment agencies 528
- QROP pension input amounts 410
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 362
- Deemed Employment Payment 344
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 307
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 298
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 217
- fraud 215