Can you claim astrology fees as a business expense?
A friend of mine is a writer. This friend is very 'into' indian astrology and it's remedies, known as yagyas. These are special performances conducted by vedic pundits to bring about specific outcomes, such as to avert problems predicted in a jyotish chart. Indian Astrology is called Jyotish.
My friend paid for a number of these performances, called yagyas, to remedy obstacles seen to the success of my friend's writing from time to time. This is also quite a common thing for Hindus to do, as vedic knowledge including jyotish and yagyas are a well established part of their culture.
It seems to work, as my friend has been published by Time Warner several times, Faber, and more recently Random House. Yagyas were performed specifically to bring about this success at key points in my friend's career, such as when a synopsis was submitted to an editor, or when deciding on a new agent.
My friend pays substantial tax on earnings and wants to offset the not inconsiderable costs (£1000s) of having these yagyas performed for business purposes. Are there accountants specialising in such things.
I know of at least one business where yagya costs were successfully taken into account for UK tax purposes. Have you any knowledge or experience of this. What does the law say?
- How to handle accidental overpayment into SIPP 88 1
- CGT on transfer of shares to Holding company 67 2
- How does one compete? 358 7
- Ouch. Those penalties sting 859 15
- Self explanatory? I hope so! 118 1
- Should small companies be audited? 1,072 44
- semi retirement 230 4
- ATT Exam Question 219 6
- FPS responses ... 142 4
- shareholder remuneration 233 9
- Help with small charity CT600 please!! 312 3
- Where has Portia gone? 9,066 144
- proposed dividends 319 16
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 1,479 28
- Dividend and pension with no salary 430 4
- NICs and director salary if receiving pension 106 1
- Vat on solicitors charges 333 7
- What does PITA mean? 715 17
- VATable supplies 142 3
- VAT within EC 102 2
- Sanzar 471
- Digital marketing focus group 388
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 362
- Continuity Agreement 307
- Sainsbury's mangement 294
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 294
- Avanti Accounts 285
- Buyback 273
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 215
- Iris and Miicrosoft 365 187