Can you claim astrology fees as a business expense?
A friend of mine is a writer. This friend is very 'into' indian astrology and it's remedies, known as yagyas. These are special performances conducted by vedic pundits to bring about specific outcomes, such as to avert problems predicted in a jyotish chart. Indian Astrology is called Jyotish.
My friend paid for a number of these performances, called yagyas, to remedy obstacles seen to the success of my friend's writing from time to time. This is also quite a common thing for Hindus to do, as vedic knowledge including jyotish and yagyas are a well established part of their culture.
It seems to work, as my friend has been published by Time Warner several times, Faber, and more recently Random House. Yagyas were performed specifically to bring about this success at key points in my friend's career, such as when a synopsis was submitted to an editor, or when deciding on a new agent.
My friend pays substantial tax on earnings and wants to offset the not inconsiderable costs (£1000s) of having these yagyas performed for business purposes. Are there accountants specialising in such things.
I know of at least one business where yagya costs were successfully taken into account for UK tax purposes. Have you any knowledge or experience of this. What does the law say?
- Sub-contractor provided with a vehicle 128 4
- Your fondest calculator memories 119 5
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 340 10
- Can Directors be removed without consequence? 213 4
- Partner with an IVA 34 2
- Can't understand my own electricity / gas bills 152 3
- Growing pains 313 6
- Owner/Director consultant plus employment elsewhere 173 6
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 134 7
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 503 13
- Breach of employment contract 151 3
- Benefit of my ACCA membership to my Non Qualified Employer 398 7
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 771 31
- Offset Self-Employed Losses against PAYE 101 3
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 837 13
- Residents Association Corp Tax 151 4
- ATT Annual Return Problems 74 1
- Dealing with VAT on invoices received after VAT return submitted 76 1
- Unfurnished properties allowable replacement expenditure 134 3
- Vat on 'pig slurry' - palatable subject I know! 110 3
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 440
- CTA study material 401
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 296
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 270
- Pre incorp expenses 259
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 232
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 225
- Slight twist on employment related securities 202
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 168
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 162