Can you claim astrology fees as a business expense?
A friend of mine is a writer. This friend is very 'into' indian astrology and it's remedies, known as yagyas. These are special performances conducted by vedic pundits to bring about specific outcomes, such as to avert problems predicted in a jyotish chart. Indian Astrology is called Jyotish.
My friend paid for a number of these performances, called yagyas, to remedy obstacles seen to the success of my friend's writing from time to time. This is also quite a common thing for Hindus to do, as vedic knowledge including jyotish and yagyas are a well established part of their culture.
It seems to work, as my friend has been published by Time Warner several times, Faber, and more recently Random House. Yagyas were performed specifically to bring about this success at key points in my friend's career, such as when a synopsis was submitted to an editor, or when deciding on a new agent.
My friend pays substantial tax on earnings and wants to offset the not inconsiderable costs (£1000s) of having these yagyas performed for business purposes. Are there accountants specialising in such things.
I know of at least one business where yagya costs were successfully taken into account for UK tax purposes. Have you any knowledge or experience of this. What does the law say?
- Unallocated client money 190 6
- Incorporation Relief 80 2
- change of office address 65 2
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 87 1
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 332 3
- Letting income or partnership income? 52 1
- Quick Easy Quote 200 3
- Furniture Rental Business 71 2
- Client Death 533 9
- Accounts formation/ speculative advertising 169 4
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 348 2
- Are Bursaries Taxable 83 2
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 317 1
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 146 3
- Accountancy Software Recommendation for eCommerce Business 404 5
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 1,927 38
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 965 15
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 344 5
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 132 2
- Extracting funds from a failing Company 212 6
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 598
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 472
- Sorry ignore me 369
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 365
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 276
- Cancelled 238
- Cancelled 206
- Bartercard 170
- C79 Discrepancy 164
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 158