Can you claim astrology fees as a business expense?
A friend of mine is a writer. This friend is very 'into' indian astrology and it's remedies, known as yagyas. These are special performances conducted by vedic pundits to bring about specific outcomes, such as to avert problems predicted in a jyotish chart. Indian Astrology is called Jyotish.
My friend paid for a number of these performances, called yagyas, to remedy obstacles seen to the success of my friend's writing from time to time. This is also quite a common thing for Hindus to do, as vedic knowledge including jyotish and yagyas are a well established part of their culture.
It seems to work, as my friend has been published by Time Warner several times, Faber, and more recently Random House. Yagyas were performed specifically to bring about this success at key points in my friend's career, such as when a synopsis was submitted to an editor, or when deciding on a new agent.
My friend pays substantial tax on earnings and wants to offset the not inconsiderable costs (£1000s) of having these yagyas performed for business purposes. Are there accountants specialising in such things.
I know of at least one business where yagya costs were successfully taken into account for UK tax purposes. Have you any knowledge or experience of this. What does the law say?
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 127 1
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 125 1
- Instant CPD offer 285 4
- Cash basis 517 13
- Income from rent charged to business 126 2
- payroll software 369 3
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 441 5
- Statutory sick pay 308 4
- Dividend in specie 369 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 220 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 175 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 145 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 274 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 294 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 168 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 388 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,857 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 335 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 258 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 110 1
- Skandia using wrong address 576
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 307
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 307
- Employee rewards 289
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 256
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 228
- Etax Australian 188
- LLP in Construction Industry 155
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 132
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 131