Someone phoned me the other day and said he was looking for an accountant to help him with his new business selling cannabis seeds. He was going to import them from Holland and sell them as "souvenirs" or for genetic testing. Believe it or not, it is apparently perfectly legal in this country to sell cannabis seeds (or hemp as he called them) so long as you don't grow them into plants or give any advice on germination. In fact, there is already a firm called Attitude Seeds doing this. He reckoned it was just the same as garden centres selling hydroponic equipment for growing tomatoes indoors. Everyone knows what they are really for, he said.
I phoned the ACCA for advice. They said it was OK to act for him provided it didn't bring the accountancy profession into disrepute. Thanks a lot guys - that was a big help! I ended up turning him down. I said that unless his main clients were buying them for industrial use, or he did something to render the seeds unusable as drugs (maybe roasting them like peanuts) I couldn't take the chance.
Was I being a bit unfair or would other members have done the same?
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,863 41
- Rent a Relief for small husband and wife run guesthouse 238 2
- Xerocon 2016 802 12
- Personal Tax 179 2
- Mortgage Reference 163 2
- Entrepreneurs relief after enhancement 148 3
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,176 45
- Practical experience 849 15
- Buy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 432 9
- VAT 306 1
- Gift aid procedure please? 212 4
- What counts as income for the £100k 'salary' cap for free childcare from 2017? 174 1
- last minute request 281 3
- US tax form 1099 (misc?) 78 1
- Cash gift from India 500 13
- GP ACCOUNTS 83 1
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 454 16
- Stamp Duty based on Exchange or Completion Date 120 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 272 6
- Maternity and claining expenses 668 6