Can't pay NICs
I came across this chap who poses a question (and suyggested answer.) Someone must have the answer to his basic question:
I want to pay my national insurance (a sort of stealth tax for those non-brit readers).
this is not possible.
Really - it's not. I have rung up a plethora of numbers I have in front of me, some of which promise I may even be able to pay via debit card. Every time the person who answers is not from the department I am expecting -- and every time they have no or little idea how to find the right department.
Could there be a better candidate for some internal process management upgrades?
Gordon Brown announced in this year's budget that he intended to trim the fat of whitehall by making various government departments work harder, including the treasury, inland revenue and customs.
I say make them work smarter.
Why not give the revenue teams social software? Lets have a useful intranet with regular updates - and make it all searchable. When I call with the number printed on my two-month old bill, I accept that the number may have been repurposed, or the overflow being picked up by another department - but i expect the overflow to be able to help.
By utilising a wiki, they could know where to look to get me assistance - with a directory they could look up the relevant department and put me through.
Now i'm just sitting by the phone with the expectation that I may get called back so that I might be able to pay my bill. Such incentive.
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 748 19
- Childcare vouchers 66 1
- Late registration for VAT 77 1
- Does buying a block of fees qualify as goodwill 244 4
- RTI Student Loan Reconciliation 274 5
- Experienced Mentor 78 1
- Sole trader - bank statements 174 12
- Am i Liable? 465 14
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 864 14
- RTI 216 6
- which software to use? 302 6
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,029 63
- overdrawn directors loan account 152 4
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 268 11
- audit for 50% associate? 57 1
- PAYE coding notices 175 2
- Missed Student Loan Contributions 120 2
- Property scam victim 540 13
- Christmas party 232 2
- VAT on garage rent 373 15
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,242
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 615
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 413
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 321
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 217
- Alphabet shares 201
- Agent fees to sell business 194
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 192
- Office recharges 157
- Tax position on lease extension 145