Capital Gains Tax Base Cost
Mother died Jan 04. Value of the house for IHT purposes was £720,000.
Mother had previously gifted the property to her son and his wife in August 1997 and registered title was transferred by HM Land Registry on 13/8/97. Mother continued to occupy the house as her residence so effectively nothing changed and the gift has been ignored by the solicitors for IHT purposes, re gifts with reservation etc.
The property was valued at £240,000 in August 1997 and the property has now been sold for considerably more than £720,000. Therefore, the correct CGT base cost of the house is of great importance.
Initial thoughts are that the capital gains base cost for the son and his wife is £240,000 being the value at transfer/gift in August 1997. However,
I am struggling with the interaction of TCGA s.225 and TCGA 1992 s73(1)(b) etc and whether in fact that the mother has created a life interest settlement and the CGT base cost should actually be £720,000, being when the asset actually passed to the son?
It just seems that if the CGT base cost is £240,000 the Revenue get their cake and eat it. i.e. they can ignore the gift/transfer re IHT but then decide not to ignore it for CGT base cost purposes!!
The property had a protected tenant in it, at both the date of transfer and date of death. I assume this makes no difference to the CGT base cost as it merely affected the value of the property. The tenant vacated the property shortly after the mother died.
Many thanks and apologies for the lenghty summary.
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,327 21
- VAT online filing exemptions 277 4
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 859 18
- NALS Accountants Report 106 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,474 35
- Legal title not in the company name 276 10
- Dividend dates 565 10
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 132 3
- Sole properietor 181 4
- transitioning payroll 244 8
- dividend proposals 114 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 237 2
- Deduction from Salary 302 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 202 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,731 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 93 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 437 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 160 2
- 12 Pay Problems 257 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 89 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 624
- Cancelled 363
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 312
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 283
- Probiz 274
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 232
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 231
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 203
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 176