Capital Gains Tax Base Cost
Mother died Jan 04. Value of the house for IHT purposes was £720,000.
Mother had previously gifted the property to her son and his wife in August 1997 and registered title was transferred by HM Land Registry on 13/8/97. Mother continued to occupy the house as her residence so effectively nothing changed and the gift has been ignored by the solicitors for IHT purposes, re gifts with reservation etc.
The property was valued at £240,000 in August 1997 and the property has now been sold for considerably more than £720,000. Therefore, the correct CGT base cost of the house is of great importance.
Initial thoughts are that the capital gains base cost for the son and his wife is £240,000 being the value at transfer/gift in August 1997. However,
I am struggling with the interaction of TCGA s.225 and TCGA 1992 s73(1)(b) etc and whether in fact that the mother has created a life interest settlement and the CGT base cost should actually be £720,000, being when the asset actually passed to the son?
It just seems that if the CGT base cost is £240,000 the Revenue get their cake and eat it. i.e. they can ignore the gift/transfer re IHT but then decide not to ignore it for CGT base cost purposes!!
The property had a protected tenant in it, at both the date of transfer and date of death. I assume this makes no difference to the CGT base cost as it merely affected the value of the property. The tenant vacated the property shortly after the mother died.
Many thanks and apologies for the lenghty summary.
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 94 2
- Hmrc software 186 3
- Mehjoo 248 1
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 182 2
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 82 1
- SA302 252 4
- Hosted email exchange 168 5
- South African Government Pension 176 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 151 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 258 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 292 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 232 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 142 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 271 7
- New Email Extensions 180 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 302 2
- Dental practice incorpration 145 1
- Audit rules 174 4
- Go Cardless 300 8
- business entertaining deductibility 173 1
- Xtuple 503
- Qtac payroll for bureau 342
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 289
- Industrial & Provident Societies 281
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 224
- Domain name sale and limited company 165
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 161
- CIS schemes 159
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 150
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 137