Capital Gains Tax Base Cost
Mother died Jan 04. Value of the house for IHT purposes was £720,000.
Mother had previously gifted the property to her son and his wife in August 1997 and registered title was transferred by HM Land Registry on 13/8/97. Mother continued to occupy the house as her residence so effectively nothing changed and the gift has been ignored by the solicitors for IHT purposes, re gifts with reservation etc.
The property was valued at £240,000 in August 1997 and the property has now been sold for considerably more than £720,000. Therefore, the correct CGT base cost of the house is of great importance.
Initial thoughts are that the capital gains base cost for the son and his wife is £240,000 being the value at transfer/gift in August 1997. However,
I am struggling with the interaction of TCGA s.225 and TCGA 1992 s73(1)(b) etc and whether in fact that the mother has created a life interest settlement and the CGT base cost should actually be £720,000, being when the asset actually passed to the son?
It just seems that if the CGT base cost is £240,000 the Revenue get their cake and eat it. i.e. they can ignore the gift/transfer re IHT but then decide not to ignore it for CGT base cost purposes!!
The property had a protected tenant in it, at both the date of transfer and date of death. I assume this makes no difference to the CGT base cost as it merely affected the value of the property. The tenant vacated the property shortly after the mother died.
Many thanks and apologies for the lenghty summary.
- corp tax software 1,036 14
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 311 13
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 424 6
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 172 4
- PRR 457 15
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 92 1
- Sage Line50 Journal Entry Help! 233 14
- Working from home - time apportionment 302 3
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 209 2
- cross border vat 119 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,930 488
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 787 17
- Can't read my handwriting 637 15
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,660 74
- Employing a carer 136 1
- Fees for Property Tax Return 537 16
- Corp Tax Refund 176 2
- Email hacker for hire ... 415 8
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 287 8
- IFRS and UK GAAP Adjustment Jrnls 104 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,374
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 520
- National Insurance 417
- Non Resident 322
- Hands on experience of Digita 245
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 228
- Employer's Helpline 189
- CIS paid under reg 9 187
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 153
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 151