Capital Gains Tax Base Cost
Mother died Jan 04. Value of the house for IHT purposes was £720,000.
Mother had previously gifted the property to her son and his wife in August 1997 and registered title was transferred by HM Land Registry on 13/8/97. Mother continued to occupy the house as her residence so effectively nothing changed and the gift has been ignored by the solicitors for IHT purposes, re gifts with reservation etc.
The property was valued at £240,000 in August 1997 and the property has now been sold for considerably more than £720,000. Therefore, the correct CGT base cost of the house is of great importance.
Initial thoughts are that the capital gains base cost for the son and his wife is £240,000 being the value at transfer/gift in August 1997. However,
I am struggling with the interaction of TCGA s.225 and TCGA 1992 s73(1)(b) etc and whether in fact that the mother has created a life interest settlement and the CGT base cost should actually be £720,000, being when the asset actually passed to the son?
It just seems that if the CGT base cost is £240,000 the Revenue get their cake and eat it. i.e. they can ignore the gift/transfer re IHT but then decide not to ignore it for CGT base cost purposes!!
The property had a protected tenant in it, at both the date of transfer and date of death. I assume this makes no difference to the CGT base cost as it merely affected the value of the property. The tenant vacated the property shortly after the mother died.
Many thanks and apologies for the lenghty summary.
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 30 1
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 108 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 267 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 164 1
- Top slicing relief question 212 2
- Valuation of PET on death 75 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 216 6
- Share swap 277 8
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 65 1
- Online filing 124 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 315 13
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 127 4
- New client, prev accountant disappeared 1,662 25
- EC sales list and reverse charge 89 2
- Converting a barn for business use 76 1
- Was I rude 680 17
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 220 9
- Threshold for RTI submission 101 2
- Joint rental income 108 1
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 326 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,473
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 803
- Any views 723
- International interest certificate 442
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 412
- Sale of business 382
- NOVA 278
- IRIS Open Books problem 277
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 193
- Expenses claim for non employee 181