Capital Gains Tax Base Cost
Mother died Jan 04. Value of the house for IHT purposes was £720,000.
Mother had previously gifted the property to her son and his wife in August 1997 and registered title was transferred by HM Land Registry on 13/8/97. Mother continued to occupy the house as her residence so effectively nothing changed and the gift has been ignored by the solicitors for IHT purposes, re gifts with reservation etc.
The property was valued at £240,000 in August 1997 and the property has now been sold for considerably more than £720,000. Therefore, the correct CGT base cost of the house is of great importance.
Initial thoughts are that the capital gains base cost for the son and his wife is £240,000 being the value at transfer/gift in August 1997. However,
I am struggling with the interaction of TCGA s.225 and TCGA 1992 s73(1)(b) etc and whether in fact that the mother has created a life interest settlement and the CGT base cost should actually be £720,000, being when the asset actually passed to the son?
It just seems that if the CGT base cost is £240,000 the Revenue get their cake and eat it. i.e. they can ignore the gift/transfer re IHT but then decide not to ignore it for CGT base cost purposes!!
The property had a protected tenant in it, at both the date of transfer and date of death. I assume this makes no difference to the CGT base cost as it merely affected the value of the property. The tenant vacated the property shortly after the mother died.
Many thanks and apologies for the lenghty summary.
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 15 1
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 774 32
- Classic cars investment 211 6
- BrightPay 570 16
- VAT silly question 2,374 56
- Are sheepdog winnings taxable? 1,071 10
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 126 2
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 236 5
- Gift or Capital Gain? 245 6
- Federation Accounts 354 10
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 535 8
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 278 5
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 139 2
- Late reply from HMRC 252 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 284 6
- I think I'm developing an anger issue 2,667 34
- How long to prepare monthly management accounts 1,424 22
- Xero - am I missing something? 2,794 43
- paid or unpaid - who knows! 505 11
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 225 3
- Benchmarking 487
- Possible Partnership? 428
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 406
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 405
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 346
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 205
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 202
- Clubs and Taxable Income 186
- Income tax on foreign dividends 185
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 180