Capital Gains Tax Base Cost
Mother died Jan 04. Value of the house for IHT purposes was £720,000.
Mother had previously gifted the property to her son and his wife in August 1997 and registered title was transferred by HM Land Registry on 13/8/97. Mother continued to occupy the house as her residence so effectively nothing changed and the gift has been ignored by the solicitors for IHT purposes, re gifts with reservation etc.
The property was valued at £240,000 in August 1997 and the property has now been sold for considerably more than £720,000. Therefore, the correct CGT base cost of the house is of great importance.
Initial thoughts are that the capital gains base cost for the son and his wife is £240,000 being the value at transfer/gift in August 1997. However,
I am struggling with the interaction of TCGA s.225 and TCGA 1992 s73(1)(b) etc and whether in fact that the mother has created a life interest settlement and the CGT base cost should actually be £720,000, being when the asset actually passed to the son?
It just seems that if the CGT base cost is £240,000 the Revenue get their cake and eat it. i.e. they can ignore the gift/transfer re IHT but then decide not to ignore it for CGT base cost purposes!!
The property had a protected tenant in it, at both the date of transfer and date of death. I assume this makes no difference to the CGT base cost as it merely affected the value of the property. The tenant vacated the property shortly after the mother died.
Many thanks and apologies for the lenghty summary.
- Intercompany - Sage 50 Accounts 110 2
- Writing Website Content 726 24
- Bank account frozen 271 5
- Can employer reduce my ACCA tuition fees? 188 2
- Payroll Manager - tax code for starter declaration 'C' 236 1
- Foreign dividends via UK portfolio 134 1
- Charity Account-independent examiner 246 4
- Concurrent users 818 11
- change director details just before striking-off 192 2
- owner paying for purchases and other expenses from personal account 247 4
- Where to enter asset disposal proceeds on CT600 127 1
- VAT on Second Hand Touring Caravans 241 7
- Set-off interest received against interest paid? 160 1
- VAT and selling on Amazon 160 1
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 902 26
- Share valuation upon death of shareholder 154 2
- Pension contributions and childcare vouchers 207 4
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 261 2
- Badges of trade 380 6
- Can HMRC charge penalties now for a tax return due for 2005? 342 4
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 454
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 425
- Electric Car 359
- S222 Charge 288
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 268
- IP trans to holding company 224
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 198
- Career advice needed regarding accouting systems analysis 171
- Simple Partnership Agreement Template 170
- Tax on donations for the beneficiary 161