Capital Gains Tax Base Cost
Mother died Jan 04. Value of the house for IHT purposes was £720,000.
Mother had previously gifted the property to her son and his wife in August 1997 and registered title was transferred by HM Land Registry on 13/8/97. Mother continued to occupy the house as her residence so effectively nothing changed and the gift has been ignored by the solicitors for IHT purposes, re gifts with reservation etc.
The property was valued at £240,000 in August 1997 and the property has now been sold for considerably more than £720,000. Therefore, the correct CGT base cost of the house is of great importance.
Initial thoughts are that the capital gains base cost for the son and his wife is £240,000 being the value at transfer/gift in August 1997. However,
I am struggling with the interaction of TCGA s.225 and TCGA 1992 s73(1)(b) etc and whether in fact that the mother has created a life interest settlement and the CGT base cost should actually be £720,000, being when the asset actually passed to the son?
It just seems that if the CGT base cost is £240,000 the Revenue get their cake and eat it. i.e. they can ignore the gift/transfer re IHT but then decide not to ignore it for CGT base cost purposes!!
The property had a protected tenant in it, at both the date of transfer and date of death. I assume this makes no difference to the CGT base cost as it merely affected the value of the property. The tenant vacated the property shortly after the mother died.
Many thanks and apologies for the lenghty summary.
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 395 3
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 637 16
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 307 2
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 80 1
- Pensions Auto-Enrolment when no computer/internet access 78 1
- VAT on new builds 67 1
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 79 1
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,757 26
- Missing tax return 105 2
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 896 24
- CG on Spanish property disposal 262 8
- SSAS Pension scheme 136 2
- Quick Income tax calculation question! 531 18
- Physiotherapy 217 3
- Inflation and fees 1,184 20
- Capital allowances not claimed 136 3
- Changing shareholding ratio 262 8
- CGT help please 125 1
- How much would you charge for an interim audit? 331 7
- Cashflow forecasting software 106 2