Capital Gains Tax Base Cost
Mother died Jan 04. Value of the house for IHT purposes was £720,000.
Mother had previously gifted the property to her son and his wife in August 1997 and registered title was transferred by HM Land Registry on 13/8/97. Mother continued to occupy the house as her residence so effectively nothing changed and the gift has been ignored by the solicitors for IHT purposes, re gifts with reservation etc.
The property was valued at £240,000 in August 1997 and the property has now been sold for considerably more than £720,000. Therefore, the correct CGT base cost of the house is of great importance.
Initial thoughts are that the capital gains base cost for the son and his wife is £240,000 being the value at transfer/gift in August 1997. However,
I am struggling with the interaction of TCGA s.225 and TCGA 1992 s73(1)(b) etc and whether in fact that the mother has created a life interest settlement and the CGT base cost should actually be £720,000, being when the asset actually passed to the son?
It just seems that if the CGT base cost is £240,000 the Revenue get their cake and eat it. i.e. they can ignore the gift/transfer re IHT but then decide not to ignore it for CGT base cost purposes!!
The property had a protected tenant in it, at both the date of transfer and date of death. I assume this makes no difference to the CGT base cost as it merely affected the value of the property. The tenant vacated the property shortly after the mother died.
Many thanks and apologies for the lenghty summary.
- format cell to exclude decimals 54 5
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 170 3
- Entrepreeur's relief 29 1
- A trust shall not want for a trustee 50 1
- Settlement discount 205 5
- IT advisory questions? 306 8
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,575 21
- experian and credit agencies 78 1
- Homing sandwiches 571 13
- Limited company to community interest company 64 1
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 482 10
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 211 5
- Error in audited accounts 244 3
- CIS software 134 3
- Pratice Management Software 216 3
- Use of home query 204 2
- signature required 605 22
- Vat registration exception 217 3
- CT600 164 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 227 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,263
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 837
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 530
- Digita Hosted Software 347
- Credit where credit's due....... 324
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 249
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 206
- TheTax Donut 191
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 169
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 167