Capital Gains Tax Base Cost
Mother died Jan 04. Value of the house for IHT purposes was £720,000.
Mother had previously gifted the property to her son and his wife in August 1997 and registered title was transferred by HM Land Registry on 13/8/97. Mother continued to occupy the house as her residence so effectively nothing changed and the gift has been ignored by the solicitors for IHT purposes, re gifts with reservation etc.
The property was valued at £240,000 in August 1997 and the property has now been sold for considerably more than £720,000. Therefore, the correct CGT base cost of the house is of great importance.
Initial thoughts are that the capital gains base cost for the son and his wife is £240,000 being the value at transfer/gift in August 1997. However,
I am struggling with the interaction of TCGA s.225 and TCGA 1992 s73(1)(b) etc and whether in fact that the mother has created a life interest settlement and the CGT base cost should actually be £720,000, being when the asset actually passed to the son?
It just seems that if the CGT base cost is £240,000 the Revenue get their cake and eat it. i.e. they can ignore the gift/transfer re IHT but then decide not to ignore it for CGT base cost purposes!!
The property had a protected tenant in it, at both the date of transfer and date of death. I assume this makes no difference to the CGT base cost as it merely affected the value of the property. The tenant vacated the property shortly after the mother died.
Many thanks and apologies for the lenghty summary.
- OBK 116 4
- Auto-Enrolment 3,369 163
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,692 588
- Rental Income Tax Planning 45 2
- What type of Trust? 77 1
- Xero (another cloud system) and your year end accounts file 74 1
- Dormant Company 98 2
- Property expense - legal fees 72 1
- Accounting for a VAT Group 86 2
- Research expenses for authors 225 4
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 761 16
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 118 2
- Company Loan to associated company 61 1
- VAT on “Reimbursement” from third parties 142 5
- CLG exempt under s60 153 3
- Late VAT registration penalty 176 4
- How to consolidate an LLP? 226 7
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 190 4
- Accountants who provide tech/IT advice 548 2
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 101 2
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 505
- Skandia using wrong address 454
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 243
- Employee rewards 240
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 211
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 190
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 185
- Etax Australian 155