Capital Gains Tax Base Cost
Mother died Jan 04. Value of the house for IHT purposes was £720,000.
Mother had previously gifted the property to her son and his wife in August 1997 and registered title was transferred by HM Land Registry on 13/8/97. Mother continued to occupy the house as her residence so effectively nothing changed and the gift has been ignored by the solicitors for IHT purposes, re gifts with reservation etc.
The property was valued at £240,000 in August 1997 and the property has now been sold for considerably more than £720,000. Therefore, the correct CGT base cost of the house is of great importance.
Initial thoughts are that the capital gains base cost for the son and his wife is £240,000 being the value at transfer/gift in August 1997. However,
I am struggling with the interaction of TCGA s.225 and TCGA 1992 s73(1)(b) etc and whether in fact that the mother has created a life interest settlement and the CGT base cost should actually be £720,000, being when the asset actually passed to the son?
It just seems that if the CGT base cost is £240,000 the Revenue get their cake and eat it. i.e. they can ignore the gift/transfer re IHT but then decide not to ignore it for CGT base cost purposes!!
The property had a protected tenant in it, at both the date of transfer and date of death. I assume this makes no difference to the CGT base cost as it merely affected the value of the property. The tenant vacated the property shortly after the mother died.
Many thanks and apologies for the lenghty summary.
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 911 42
- Drive off and Wastage expenses - No supp doc 88 4
- wave software 105 1
- Freelance software consultant 316 5
- client can't/won't pay 264 11
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,128 14
- Window Comb Binder Cover 88 2
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 211 5
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 132 3
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 206 6
- losses carried forward 366 10
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 467 22
- Auto enrolment 1,621 26
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 212 8
- VT 349 7
- Warning! Cannot pay SA tax at Post Office 698 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 156 2
- Ongoing trade? 240 5
- Tax Enquiry - Inspector Error 299 2
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 155 3
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 780
- Copy Wanted 491
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 453
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 451
- Latest phishing scam 281
- Entrepreneurs' relief 266
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 261
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 244
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 231
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 227