Capital Gains Tax Base Cost
Mother died Jan 04. Value of the house for IHT purposes was £720,000.
Mother had previously gifted the property to her son and his wife in August 1997 and registered title was transferred by HM Land Registry on 13/8/97. Mother continued to occupy the house as her residence so effectively nothing changed and the gift has been ignored by the solicitors for IHT purposes, re gifts with reservation etc.
The property was valued at £240,000 in August 1997 and the property has now been sold for considerably more than £720,000. Therefore, the correct CGT base cost of the house is of great importance.
Initial thoughts are that the capital gains base cost for the son and his wife is £240,000 being the value at transfer/gift in August 1997. However,
I am struggling with the interaction of TCGA s.225 and TCGA 1992 s73(1)(b) etc and whether in fact that the mother has created a life interest settlement and the CGT base cost should actually be £720,000, being when the asset actually passed to the son?
It just seems that if the CGT base cost is £240,000 the Revenue get their cake and eat it. i.e. they can ignore the gift/transfer re IHT but then decide not to ignore it for CGT base cost purposes!!
The property had a protected tenant in it, at both the date of transfer and date of death. I assume this makes no difference to the CGT base cost as it merely affected the value of the property. The tenant vacated the property shortly after the mother died.
Many thanks and apologies for the lenghty summary.
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,771 27
- Value pricing 240 9
- Undeclared Self Employment 1,567 12
- Audit Required 114 3
- company secretarial software 147 2
- Tax repayment for 2013-14 155 3
- Elective DeductionsModel 65 1
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 189 1
- Rental Income 303 6
- Payroll 2012/13 109 1
- I have a pain 698 6
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 89 1
- convert directors loan account to share capital 181 5
- Anyone else seen incorrect tax code notices - rather worring! 738 17
- Belated VAT Exception Application 126 3
- Cash flow 150 2
- New use of home - simplified method 256 4
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 270 5
- 2 year rule? Self employed. 403 13
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,960 32
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 734
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 501
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 348
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 343
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 265
- VAT on Gaming Machines 215
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 202
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 187
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 179
- Director Loan account operation 151