Capital Gains Tax Base Cost
Mother died Jan 04. Value of the house for IHT purposes was £720,000.
Mother had previously gifted the property to her son and his wife in August 1997 and registered title was transferred by HM Land Registry on 13/8/97. Mother continued to occupy the house as her residence so effectively nothing changed and the gift has been ignored by the solicitors for IHT purposes, re gifts with reservation etc.
The property was valued at £240,000 in August 1997 and the property has now been sold for considerably more than £720,000. Therefore, the correct CGT base cost of the house is of great importance.
Initial thoughts are that the capital gains base cost for the son and his wife is £240,000 being the value at transfer/gift in August 1997. However,
I am struggling with the interaction of TCGA s.225 and TCGA 1992 s73(1)(b) etc and whether in fact that the mother has created a life interest settlement and the CGT base cost should actually be £720,000, being when the asset actually passed to the son?
It just seems that if the CGT base cost is £240,000 the Revenue get their cake and eat it. i.e. they can ignore the gift/transfer re IHT but then decide not to ignore it for CGT base cost purposes!!
The property had a protected tenant in it, at both the date of transfer and date of death. I assume this makes no difference to the CGT base cost as it merely affected the value of the property. The tenant vacated the property shortly after the mother died.
Many thanks and apologies for the lenghty summary.
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 305 7
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 64 2
- Paid too much !! 350 3
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 195 2
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 114 3
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 239 1
- will this work for IHT 260 2
- Best software for small practice? 664 20
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,758 39
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 309 7
- Taxfiler been down since mid-afternoon 259 5
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 511 17
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 151 1
- Company separation for Wholesale & Retail businesses 123 1
- Selling a VAT Qualifying vehicle at a loss 129 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 484 15
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 756 11
- Sports Sponsorship 183 1
- New Shareholder and Purchase of Own Share 291 17
- Opt To Tax Refund 218 2
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 770
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 456
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 276
- DTA tie-breaker issue 263
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 251
- CGT for NOn UK residents 224
- Apprenticeship Levy 203
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 195
- Capital Gains personal representatives 184
- Just checking re PSA 178