Capital Gains Tax Base Cost
Mother died Jan 04. Value of the house for IHT purposes was £720,000.
Mother had previously gifted the property to her son and his wife in August 1997 and registered title was transferred by HM Land Registry on 13/8/97. Mother continued to occupy the house as her residence so effectively nothing changed and the gift has been ignored by the solicitors for IHT purposes, re gifts with reservation etc.
The property was valued at £240,000 in August 1997 and the property has now been sold for considerably more than £720,000. Therefore, the correct CGT base cost of the house is of great importance.
Initial thoughts are that the capital gains base cost for the son and his wife is £240,000 being the value at transfer/gift in August 1997. However,
I am struggling with the interaction of TCGA s.225 and TCGA 1992 s73(1)(b) etc and whether in fact that the mother has created a life interest settlement and the CGT base cost should actually be £720,000, being when the asset actually passed to the son?
It just seems that if the CGT base cost is £240,000 the Revenue get their cake and eat it. i.e. they can ignore the gift/transfer re IHT but then decide not to ignore it for CGT base cost purposes!!
The property had a protected tenant in it, at both the date of transfer and date of death. I assume this makes no difference to the CGT base cost as it merely affected the value of the property. The tenant vacated the property shortly after the mother died.
Many thanks and apologies for the lenghty summary.
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 93 2
- Should replies on AWEB show details of the qualifications 177 10
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 415 6
- Personal allowance 638 14
- New Fangled Penalties 1,101 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 127 1
- What do you all do in your spare time? 727 30
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 805 9
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 272 3
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 374 10
- VAT on employee loan 291 5
- Taking over from an on-line accounting firm. Any ideas? 949 18
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 143 2
- Accountants website 385 5
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 170 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 470 8
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 101 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 119 1
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,411 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 225 5
- Moving away from CCH software 940
- QROP pension input amounts 431
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 375
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 346
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 313
- fraud 272
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 243
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 215
- Construction CIS LLP Company 195
- EPS and CIS deductions 188