Capitalising earn-out payments?
We acquired a one-man business last year with an agreement to pay an extra amount based on a percentage of 'extra' profit in the two years following the acquisition. A payment was made in April 01 based on the results in the financial year to March. This amt was capitalised as an acquisition cost & is still on the balance sheet. Another payment may be due in about 10 months time depending on results this year.
What's the correct accounting treatment for this? Write off the b/s amount over the year or over a longer period (e.g. the total earn out period)? Or, as the payment related to result last year, should it have been written off then.
Also, presumably if it's OK to capitalise as an acqn cost, the second payment should also have been accounted for at the time of acquistion. As it wasn't, I assume I accrue for that over this financial year.
Suggestions / ideas / gifts of money all welcome.
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,421 386
- P11D Query 168 5
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 157 6
- Should he transfer the Van into the company ? 147 1
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 101 1
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 1,258 24
- What is the role of an accountant? 519 14
- Why Shoebuy Coupon Shopping Made Easy With These Expert Tips? 267 7
- 100% Xero practice 2,281 42
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 129 1
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 178 6
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 112 1
- Scottish but not UK 329 9
- Pension Contributions Relief 292 10
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 263 1
- Out of Date Returns, CIS and Determination 108 3
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,327 25
- Company Accounts 445 8
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 110 2
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 301 7
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,221
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 430
- National Insurance 332
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 328
- Non Resident 254
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 250
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 247
- Franchise income and costs 219
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 154
- Hands on experience of Digita 153