Capitalising earn-out payments?
We acquired a one-man business last year with an agreement to pay an extra amount based on a percentage of 'extra' profit in the two years following the acquisition. A payment was made in April 01 based on the results in the financial year to March. This amt was capitalised as an acquisition cost & is still on the balance sheet. Another payment may be due in about 10 months time depending on results this year.
What's the correct accounting treatment for this? Write off the b/s amount over the year or over a longer period (e.g. the total earn out period)? Or, as the payment related to result last year, should it have been written off then.
Also, presumably if it's OK to capitalise as an acqn cost, the second payment should also have been accounted for at the time of acquistion. As it wasn't, I assume I accrue for that over this financial year.
Suggestions / ideas / gifts of money all welcome.
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 145 3
- Accountant software 408 11
- Accounting jobs in the UK 138 2
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 229 1
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 197 4
- CIS gross status review 89 1
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 123 2
- Dividend payments to spouses 348 6
- Flat rate vat error 242 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 134 5
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 143 2
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 82 1
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 146 4
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 360 8
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 620 17
- Dispensation pointless ? 268 4
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 609 11
- Are bankruptcy restrictions order becoming more common? 202 4
- Charge out rates in London? 216 2
- Negative retained earnings & Dividends 184 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 752
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 483
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 297
- How to format a stock book 264
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 212
- Tax efficient holding company structure 201
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 193
- Investment property company accounts template 190
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 168
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 160