Capitalising earn-out payments?
We acquired a one-man business last year with an agreement to pay an extra amount based on a percentage of 'extra' profit in the two years following the acquisition. A payment was made in April 01 based on the results in the financial year to March. This amt was capitalised as an acquisition cost & is still on the balance sheet. Another payment may be due in about 10 months time depending on results this year.
What's the correct accounting treatment for this? Write off the b/s amount over the year or over a longer period (e.g. the total earn out period)? Or, as the payment related to result last year, should it have been written off then.
Also, presumably if it's OK to capitalise as an acqn cost, the second payment should also have been accounted for at the time of acquistion. As it wasn't, I assume I accrue for that over this financial year.
Suggestions / ideas / gifts of money all welcome.
- VAT on unused stock 34 1
- When to recover vat on bad debts 113 4
- Can't find a good web address 162 3
- Sage Line 50 - create custom remittance advices 182 7
- Timesheet and travel expenses software for engineering consultants 204 5
- effective advertising 234 6
- Nominal Code for Car lease? 184 8
- Software recommendations 311 2
- Cloud Based Software recommendations please 146 3
- Edible spam? 802 16
- I'm thinking of moving to Ireland 300 5
- Put fees on website 287 6
- Director resignation 223 4
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,543 27
- Mobile phone and P11D 1,327 4
- Sigma Red 1,415 3
- CIS Software Recommendations 344 5
- VAT on medical/care services? 111 2
- Definition of "relative" in benefits code 186 2
- Live Chat on Accountancy Website 453 6
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 477
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 464
- WIP Software 336
- No payroll scheme in place 289
- Is there anything wrong with this? 258
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 252
- Small Part Disposal of Property 228
- Uncommercial property business 227
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 192
- SA Penalty 181