Capitalising earn-out payments?
We acquired a one-man business last year with an agreement to pay an extra amount based on a percentage of 'extra' profit in the two years following the acquisition. A payment was made in April 01 based on the results in the financial year to March. This amt was capitalised as an acquisition cost & is still on the balance sheet. Another payment may be due in about 10 months time depending on results this year.
What's the correct accounting treatment for this? Write off the b/s amount over the year or over a longer period (e.g. the total earn out period)? Or, as the payment related to result last year, should it have been written off then.
Also, presumably if it's OK to capitalise as an acqn cost, the second payment should also have been accounted for at the time of acquistion. As it wasn't, I assume I accrue for that over this financial year.
Suggestions / ideas / gifts of money all welcome.
- Two clients (married to each other) disappeared from client list 26 1
- VAT on motor expenses 794 29
- VAT & Landlords 71 2
- Notes to statutory accounts 90 7
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 572 4
- Client died family to pay redundancy 144 2
- Gifting shares 188 3
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 284 5
- Rent paid by director 41 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 104 1
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 410 13
- Builder using cash labour 310 3
- Easy way to not pay tax 734 18
- Holding companies 44 1
- Accomodation charge for Publican 121 2
- VAT Registration 341 16
- Singaporean Tax Adviser 57 1
- Valuation of PET on death 214 6
- Auto enrolment 881 10
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 411 17
- Skandia using wrong address 1,515
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 838
- International interest certificate 455
- NOVA 313
- Bonus Bonds 194
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 193
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 190
- Management expenses for investment company 187
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 172
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 164