Capitalising earn-out payments?
We acquired a one-man business last year with an agreement to pay an extra amount based on a percentage of 'extra' profit in the two years following the acquisition. A payment was made in April 01 based on the results in the financial year to March. This amt was capitalised as an acquisition cost & is still on the balance sheet. Another payment may be due in about 10 months time depending on results this year.
What's the correct accounting treatment for this? Write off the b/s amount over the year or over a longer period (e.g. the total earn out period)? Or, as the payment related to result last year, should it have been written off then.
Also, presumably if it's OK to capitalise as an acqn cost, the second payment should also have been accounted for at the time of acquistion. As it wasn't, I assume I accrue for that over this financial year.
Suggestions / ideas / gifts of money all welcome.
- Errors in prior year accounts 828 22
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 442 9
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 1,975 39
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,321 17
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,591 23
- VAT & capitalising 119 3
- Final year's accounts 144 1
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 265 5
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 292 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 308 7
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 237 15
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 135 2
- What are options for non CA firm 1,973 36
- Invoice Help 246 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 179 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 250 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 236 3
- Sorry ignore me 907 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 588 5
- Free Shares ? 251 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 625
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 532
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 294
- Cancelled 285
- Cancelled 245
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 193
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 191
- Probiz 178
- Married woman dies owning marital home 168
- What's the market like for temps? 166