Capitalising earn-out payments?
We acquired a one-man business last year with an agreement to pay an extra amount based on a percentage of 'extra' profit in the two years following the acquisition. A payment was made in April 01 based on the results in the financial year to March. This amt was capitalised as an acquisition cost & is still on the balance sheet. Another payment may be due in about 10 months time depending on results this year.
What's the correct accounting treatment for this? Write off the b/s amount over the year or over a longer period (e.g. the total earn out period)? Or, as the payment related to result last year, should it have been written off then.
Also, presumably if it's OK to capitalise as an acqn cost, the second payment should also have been accounted for at the time of acquistion. As it wasn't, I assume I accrue for that over this financial year.
Suggestions / ideas / gifts of money all welcome.
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 145 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 521 27
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 362 11
- Do I need to pay my accountant 420 7
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 188 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 603 7
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 153 3
- Lloyds bank ... 438 6
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 407 18
- Limited company buying a car 227 5
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 491 10
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 275 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 310 4
- ACCA practice certificates 527 5
- Limited company buying director's car 330 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 111 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 156 1
- WC's and capital allowances 193 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 338 13
- Dress code 1,577 36
- CTA study material 775
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 484
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 403
- Employment related securities question 311
- AIM Stocks and IHT 287
- Expat pension contributions? 261
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 260
- Trust for Employee 241
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 189
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 149