Capitalising earn-out payments?
We acquired a one-man business last year with an agreement to pay an extra amount based on a percentage of 'extra' profit in the two years following the acquisition. A payment was made in April 01 based on the results in the financial year to March. This amt was capitalised as an acquisition cost & is still on the balance sheet. Another payment may be due in about 10 months time depending on results this year.
What's the correct accounting treatment for this? Write off the b/s amount over the year or over a longer period (e.g. the total earn out period)? Or, as the payment related to result last year, should it have been written off then.
Also, presumably if it's OK to capitalise as an acqn cost, the second payment should also have been accounted for at the time of acquistion. As it wasn't, I assume I accrue for that over this financial year.
Suggestions / ideas / gifts of money all welcome.
- Benefit in kind calc, s.106 ITEPA 246 6
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 88 2
- Amend this years FPS's - any HMRC penalties? 187 5
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 39 1
- printer paper for Certificate of Incorporation 56 1
- Quote for client 285 7
- Investment Unrealised Gains Accounting Treatment 72 1
- PAYE 61 1
- Annual Report - How to? 63 1
- Can a company act like a charity, without being a registered charity? 281 6
- Reversal of Warranty Provision 268 10
- Investment property? 572 4
- error on companies house accounts 907 20
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 189 3
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 1,001 13
- ATT Exam tips and study help 121 2
- Client's company struck off 1,840 21
- Refurbised Pub 179 4
- Directors obligation to notify 397 6
- Tax relief in respect of rental property/withdrawing of capital 96 2
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 516
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 452
- EPS and CIS deductions 319
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 303
- Construction CIS LLP Company 293
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 277
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 224
- SAGE winforecast 213
- Overdrawn director account 201
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 199