Capitalising earn-out payments?
We acquired a one-man business last year with an agreement to pay an extra amount based on a percentage of 'extra' profit in the two years following the acquisition. A payment was made in April 01 based on the results in the financial year to March. This amt was capitalised as an acquisition cost & is still on the balance sheet. Another payment may be due in about 10 months time depending on results this year.
What's the correct accounting treatment for this? Write off the b/s amount over the year or over a longer period (e.g. the total earn out period)? Or, as the payment related to result last year, should it have been written off then.
Also, presumably if it's OK to capitalise as an acqn cost, the second payment should also have been accounted for at the time of acquistion. As it wasn't, I assume I accrue for that over this financial year.
Suggestions / ideas / gifts of money all welcome.
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,990 98
- Dissolved company with o/s corporation tax 210 6
- Self assesment online 304 6
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 977 32
- What sectors to target? 299 11
- Refusing to complete a tax return 364 10
- Duplicate emails from AWeb 33 2
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 410 15
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 109 7
- Practice management 225 4
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 443 6
- More NI or same 136 1
- Simplified use of home - contradiction 242 4
- Repayment of maternity pay 64 1
- maternity allowance for self employed individual 160 1
- Year end 103 1
- Online Payroll with Auto Enrolment 155 2
- IHT and cash gifts 180 4
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 750 32
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 369 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 911
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 624
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 586
- Latest phishing scam 553
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 384
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 287
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 208
- Capital allowances in first basis period 196
- Sabbatical payments 182
- Scratch Head 177