Capitalising earn-out payments?
We acquired a one-man business last year with an agreement to pay an extra amount based on a percentage of 'extra' profit in the two years following the acquisition. A payment was made in April 01 based on the results in the financial year to March. This amt was capitalised as an acquisition cost & is still on the balance sheet. Another payment may be due in about 10 months time depending on results this year.
What's the correct accounting treatment for this? Write off the b/s amount over the year or over a longer period (e.g. the total earn out period)? Or, as the payment related to result last year, should it have been written off then.
Also, presumably if it's OK to capitalise as an acqn cost, the second payment should also have been accounted for at the time of acquistion. As it wasn't, I assume I accrue for that over this financial year.
Suggestions / ideas / gifts of money all welcome.
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 15 1
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 883 5
- Swimming Pool Income 285 4
- What is the best way to buy commercial property these days 113 3
- Appeal against penalty- error in SA tax return 90 1
- Friday Question 283 5
- Coming off flat rate VAT 277 2
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 457 6
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,928 44
- New Client works under PAYE but is about to set up own LTD. 243 6
- Support / ticketing software 381 12
- NEST web services & Moneysoft 646 8
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 969 12
- Tax Point as opposed to VAT point 101 1
- Company Number 10000000 1,188 15
- Tax code notices 168 1
- Outside the scope VAT box 6 186 6
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 677 15
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 309 6
- Deduction for Flat Rate Scheme VAT 386 4
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 481
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 293
- DTA tie-breaker issue 288
- CGT for NOn UK residents 252
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 230
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 224
- Apprenticeship Levy 224
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 220
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 213
- Just checking re PSA 207