Capitalising earn-out payments?
We acquired a one-man business last year with an agreement to pay an extra amount based on a percentage of 'extra' profit in the two years following the acquisition. A payment was made in April 01 based on the results in the financial year to March. This amt was capitalised as an acquisition cost & is still on the balance sheet. Another payment may be due in about 10 months time depending on results this year.
What's the correct accounting treatment for this? Write off the b/s amount over the year or over a longer period (e.g. the total earn out period)? Or, as the payment related to result last year, should it have been written off then.
Also, presumably if it's OK to capitalise as an acqn cost, the second payment should also have been accounted for at the time of acquistion. As it wasn't, I assume I accrue for that over this financial year.
Suggestions / ideas / gifts of money all welcome.
- Vat on Payments on Account 63 2
- Yorkshire Day 337 23
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 907 25
- Deleted question? 232 3
- CRM systems? 46 1
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,259 34
- Accountancy Career 513 11
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,103 22
- MAAT vs ACCA 516 9
- EU VAT Registration Thresholds 97 5
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 108 3
- calculation DTR restriction 152 4
- Company Limited Liability vs Public Liability Insruance 61 1
- Company no longer showing on Companies House web site 161 4
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,867 45
- Group Audit Thresholds 407 12
- Flat rate VAT 262 5
- Client payment options 97 1
- Benefit in Kind - Clothing - PPE 129 1
- Help with HMRC investigation 476 8
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 555
- Cancelled 440
- Cancelled 369
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 367
- Probiz 344
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 343
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 249
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 222
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 211
- More spam 173