Career change from engineering to accountancy
I've been trying to undergo a career change from engineering to accountancy for about 13 months now.
I've got a 2:2 in Mechanical Engineering (Nottingham University) and an MSc in Engineering (55%) from Southampton University.
The problem I've got is that if I apply to a big firm then they want a 2:1 (regardless of university or course which I find incredible) and if I go to a smaller firm they are concerned that I'm over qualified (i.e. 4 years engineering degree from top tier engineering universities), I've also just turned 27 which probabaly also makes them think I'll be looking to move on quickly.
I've been doing temp work for 13 months solid (purchase ledger, finance assistant and currently accounts assistant). Not that money is everything but £10/hr isn't exactly great and I've self-funded/self-studied my way through 7 ACCA exam passes in the last 12 months (I think the pace that I've gone through the ACCA exams may be making people think that I'm too ambitious).
Anyway that's it really, I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the best route ahead - my preference is to go through industry rather than practice but would be happy to stick out practice for a couple of years until I'm qualified (I'm not so keen on client-facing work). (I'm finding that in industry the large firms want a 2:1 and the small firms want six-form leavers who work there way slowly through AAT, with nothing inbetween).
Also, I ran a successful business at uni but I've taken this off the CV because I still run the business (now takes up <15 minutes per week) - it causes me to crash at interview because they worry that I'm understating the time it takes up, they also worry that I am too entrepreneurial (didn't know that was a bad thing!) - so for my degree my CV just shows a rather average degree grade with no mitigating explanation.
A levels were A in Economics, B in Maths, B in Physics.
Any ideas would be gratefully received!
- Residents Association Corp Tax 203 7
- Vat threshold issues 170 4
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 289 2
- private to company car? 219 5
- Buy to let allowable interest 171 3
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 110 2
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 84 1
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 283 5
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 143 4
- Partner with an IVA 191 5
- What can my client claim r & d on? 337 6
- R&D tax claim 128 1
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 606 13
- Growing pains 378 7
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 242 14
- Consequential loss claim 140 3
- ATT Annual Return Problems 129 2
- what is classed as investment under other fixed assets? 116 1
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 345 5
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 967 34
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 458
- CTA study material 420
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 304
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 290
- Pre incorp expenses 283
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 247
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 235
- Slight twist on employment related securities 212
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 188
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 179