Career change from engineering to accountancy
I've been trying to undergo a career change from engineering to accountancy for about 13 months now.
I've got a 2:2 in Mechanical Engineering (Nottingham University) and an MSc in Engineering (55%) from Southampton University.
The problem I've got is that if I apply to a big firm then they want a 2:1 (regardless of university or course which I find incredible) and if I go to a smaller firm they are concerned that I'm over qualified (i.e. 4 years engineering degree from top tier engineering universities), I've also just turned 27 which probabaly also makes them think I'll be looking to move on quickly.
I've been doing temp work for 13 months solid (purchase ledger, finance assistant and currently accounts assistant). Not that money is everything but £10/hr isn't exactly great and I've self-funded/self-studied my way through 7 ACCA exam passes in the last 12 months (I think the pace that I've gone through the ACCA exams may be making people think that I'm too ambitious).
Anyway that's it really, I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the best route ahead - my preference is to go through industry rather than practice but would be happy to stick out practice for a couple of years until I'm qualified (I'm not so keen on client-facing work). (I'm finding that in industry the large firms want a 2:1 and the small firms want six-form leavers who work there way slowly through AAT, with nothing inbetween).
Also, I ran a successful business at uni but I've taken this off the CV because I still run the business (now takes up <15 minutes per week) - it causes me to crash at interview because they worry that I'm understating the time it takes up, they also worry that I am too entrepreneurial (didn't know that was a bad thing!) - so for my degree my CV just shows a rather average degree grade with no mitigating explanation.
A levels were A in Economics, B in Maths, B in Physics.
Any ideas would be gratefully received!
- sole trader to ltd company 28 2
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 98 3
- Rogue Accountant 1,057 33
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 1,101 35
- Spousal transfer and PPR 294 10
- Personal bank account in limited company 222 7
- Dual taxation - usa 182 2
- My house has fallen down 431 13
- CGT on residential property for a non resident and PPR relief 84 1
- Timing of LTD CIS rebates 275 10
- Quickbooks Desktop - 14/15 Employment Allowance 249 7
- Inheritance Tax Advice 75 1
- Directors Salary and Directors Loan Account and RTI 101 1
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 545 8
- Getting fees, getting harder? 936 22
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 283 4
- What are the tax implications of bringing funds into the UK from abroad? 199 2
- Property sale split between years 151 5
- VAT charge on e-service supply 92 3
- VATMOSS filing 161 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 637
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 403
- Pensions Regulator 377
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 319
- RTI - duplicate employee record 317
- SA penalty proposals 295
- Using the correct forms 294
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 274
- Digital marketing focus group 195
- Sage Vat return box 2 185