Career change from engineering to accountancy
I've been trying to undergo a career change from engineering to accountancy for about 13 months now.
I've got a 2:2 in Mechanical Engineering (Nottingham University) and an MSc in Engineering (55%) from Southampton University.
The problem I've got is that if I apply to a big firm then they want a 2:1 (regardless of university or course which I find incredible) and if I go to a smaller firm they are concerned that I'm over qualified (i.e. 4 years engineering degree from top tier engineering universities), I've also just turned 27 which probabaly also makes them think I'll be looking to move on quickly.
I've been doing temp work for 13 months solid (purchase ledger, finance assistant and currently accounts assistant). Not that money is everything but £10/hr isn't exactly great and I've self-funded/self-studied my way through 7 ACCA exam passes in the last 12 months (I think the pace that I've gone through the ACCA exams may be making people think that I'm too ambitious).
Anyway that's it really, I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the best route ahead - my preference is to go through industry rather than practice but would be happy to stick out practice for a couple of years until I'm qualified (I'm not so keen on client-facing work). (I'm finding that in industry the large firms want a 2:1 and the small firms want six-form leavers who work there way slowly through AAT, with nothing inbetween).
Also, I ran a successful business at uni but I've taken this off the CV because I still run the business (now takes up <15 minutes per week) - it causes me to crash at interview because they worry that I'm understating the time it takes up, they also worry that I am too entrepreneurial (didn't know that was a bad thing!) - so for my degree my CV just shows a rather average degree grade with no mitigating explanation.
A levels were A in Economics, B in Maths, B in Physics.
Any ideas would be gratefully received!
- any implications of this type of transaction 13 1
- How much did you pay for your website 1,674 28
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 93 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 264 11
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,025 13
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 258 7
- Sage data 97 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 417 9
- Limited company buying a car 355 6
- Funding Circle experience 140 3
- Excel query 104 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,283 13
- Payment on account penalties 114 3
- Tax on free shares 130 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 205 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 124 1
- Audit 488 14
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 125 3
- Buying a horse?? 428 12
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 193 2
- CTA study material 803
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 494
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 459
- Employment related securities question 321
- AIM Stocks and IHT 308
- Expat pension contributions? 281
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 278
- Trust for Employee 256
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 231
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 160