Career change from engineering to accountancy
I've been trying to undergo a career change from engineering to accountancy for about 13 months now.
I've got a 2:2 in Mechanical Engineering (Nottingham University) and an MSc in Engineering (55%) from Southampton University.
The problem I've got is that if I apply to a big firm then they want a 2:1 (regardless of university or course which I find incredible) and if I go to a smaller firm they are concerned that I'm over qualified (i.e. 4 years engineering degree from top tier engineering universities), I've also just turned 27 which probabaly also makes them think I'll be looking to move on quickly.
I've been doing temp work for 13 months solid (purchase ledger, finance assistant and currently accounts assistant). Not that money is everything but £10/hr isn't exactly great and I've self-funded/self-studied my way through 7 ACCA exam passes in the last 12 months (I think the pace that I've gone through the ACCA exams may be making people think that I'm too ambitious).
Anyway that's it really, I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the best route ahead - my preference is to go through industry rather than practice but would be happy to stick out practice for a couple of years until I'm qualified (I'm not so keen on client-facing work). (I'm finding that in industry the large firms want a 2:1 and the small firms want six-form leavers who work there way slowly through AAT, with nothing inbetween).
Also, I ran a successful business at uni but I've taken this off the CV because I still run the business (now takes up <15 minutes per week) - it causes me to crash at interview because they worry that I'm understating the time it takes up, they also worry that I am too entrepreneurial (didn't know that was a bad thing!) - so for my degree my CV just shows a rather average degree grade with no mitigating explanation.
A levels were A in Economics, B in Maths, B in Physics.
Any ideas would be gratefully received!
- Cash basis 69 3
- Undeclared rental income 2,526 23
- Company buy back of shares from directors 65 2
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 497 23
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 320 9
- Cash basis 723 25
- Rental income 98 2
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,940 30
- s455 Directors loan 153 3
- Insurance for Company Ltd. by Guarantee 64 1
- Incorrect penalty warning letters sent 1,175 8
- Non resident capital gains 80 1
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 414 12
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 339 1
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 532 6
- What are the options for writing off a Directors Credit balance 180 2
- payroll software 507 9
- Fee base v staff ratio 596 7
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 303 13
- Posting pension salary sacrifice journal 111 1
- Skandia using wrong address 601
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 325
- Employee rewards 302
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 270
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 237
- Etax Australian 199
- LLP in Construction Industry 160
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 148
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 138
- Re-submitting CT600 on paper 130