Career change from engineering to accountancy
I've been trying to undergo a career change from engineering to accountancy for about 13 months now.
I've got a 2:2 in Mechanical Engineering (Nottingham University) and an MSc in Engineering (55%) from Southampton University.
The problem I've got is that if I apply to a big firm then they want a 2:1 (regardless of university or course which I find incredible) and if I go to a smaller firm they are concerned that I'm over qualified (i.e. 4 years engineering degree from top tier engineering universities), I've also just turned 27 which probabaly also makes them think I'll be looking to move on quickly.
I've been doing temp work for 13 months solid (purchase ledger, finance assistant and currently accounts assistant). Not that money is everything but £10/hr isn't exactly great and I've self-funded/self-studied my way through 7 ACCA exam passes in the last 12 months (I think the pace that I've gone through the ACCA exams may be making people think that I'm too ambitious).
Anyway that's it really, I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the best route ahead - my preference is to go through industry rather than practice but would be happy to stick out practice for a couple of years until I'm qualified (I'm not so keen on client-facing work). (I'm finding that in industry the large firms want a 2:1 and the small firms want six-form leavers who work there way slowly through AAT, with nothing inbetween).
Also, I ran a successful business at uni but I've taken this off the CV because I still run the business (now takes up <15 minutes per week) - it causes me to crash at interview because they worry that I'm understating the time it takes up, they also worry that I am too entrepreneurial (didn't know that was a bad thing!) - so for my degree my CV just shows a rather average degree grade with no mitigating explanation.
A levels were A in Economics, B in Maths, B in Physics.
Any ideas would be gratefully received!
- Financial statements accounting policies 21 1
- Scams are not always obvious 870 28
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 18 1
- More RTI stuff 35 1
- Little PPR calc question 85 2
- 100% FYA, do I have to cliam all of it in 1 year? 349 5
- Expenses allowable against income from lodger 192 4
- Retrospective Credit Notes 46 2
- Can loss derived in first year of letting out be carried forward to be set off rental in next year? 474 9
- Relationship between amortisation and distributable profits 39 1
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 259 7
- Restructuring company and Form 42 102 5
- Personal allowance 489 11
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 175 6
- Taxation of rental income 303 6
- Market Value/Connected Persons 232 9
- Overseas company and VAT 56 1
- SAGE - Filtering Inactive Suppliers/Customers 146 2
- Workshops centred around Xero 486 12
- RTI, no payroll but BIK 194 1
- New Fangled Penalties 1,045
- Moving away from CCH software 912
- Recruitment agencies 536
- QROP pension input amounts 414
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 366
- Deemed Employment Payment 349
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 316
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 302
- fraud 230
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 227