Career change from engineering to accountancy
I've been trying to undergo a career change from engineering to accountancy for about 13 months now.
I've got a 2:2 in Mechanical Engineering (Nottingham University) and an MSc in Engineering (55%) from Southampton University.
The problem I've got is that if I apply to a big firm then they want a 2:1 (regardless of university or course which I find incredible) and if I go to a smaller firm they are concerned that I'm over qualified (i.e. 4 years engineering degree from top tier engineering universities), I've also just turned 27 which probabaly also makes them think I'll be looking to move on quickly.
I've been doing temp work for 13 months solid (purchase ledger, finance assistant and currently accounts assistant). Not that money is everything but £10/hr isn't exactly great and I've self-funded/self-studied my way through 7 ACCA exam passes in the last 12 months (I think the pace that I've gone through the ACCA exams may be making people think that I'm too ambitious).
Anyway that's it really, I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the best route ahead - my preference is to go through industry rather than practice but would be happy to stick out practice for a couple of years until I'm qualified (I'm not so keen on client-facing work). (I'm finding that in industry the large firms want a 2:1 and the small firms want six-form leavers who work there way slowly through AAT, with nothing inbetween).
Also, I ran a successful business at uni but I've taken this off the CV because I still run the business (now takes up <15 minutes per week) - it causes me to crash at interview because they worry that I'm understating the time it takes up, they also worry that I am too entrepreneurial (didn't know that was a bad thing!) - so for my degree my CV just shows a rather average degree grade with no mitigating explanation.
A levels were A in Economics, B in Maths, B in Physics.
Any ideas would be gratefully received!
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 173 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 172 5
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 590 15
- When to top-up pensions? 125 2
- Support / ticketing software 315 11
- Withdrawal of a quote 314 6
- Are Tax Agents designed out of online systems? 307 3
- Imported goods and VAT 114 1
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 428 15
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 578 11
- Stamp Duty 157 3
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,845 22
- Company Number 10000000 975 13
- Online accounting provider for multicompany with turnover £10m 361 5
- CGT on lost shares/scam 212 3
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 456 3
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,828 29
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 443 9
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 224 3
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 336 5
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 795
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 464
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 283
- DTA tie-breaker issue 279
- CGT for NOn UK residents 241
- Apprenticeship Levy 216
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 213
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 208
- Just checking re PSA 194
- Capital Gains personal representatives 187