Career change from engineering to accountancy
I've been trying to undergo a career change from engineering to accountancy for about 13 months now.
I've got a 2:2 in Mechanical Engineering (Nottingham University) and an MSc in Engineering (55%) from Southampton University.
The problem I've got is that if I apply to a big firm then they want a 2:1 (regardless of university or course which I find incredible) and if I go to a smaller firm they are concerned that I'm over qualified (i.e. 4 years engineering degree from top tier engineering universities), I've also just turned 27 which probabaly also makes them think I'll be looking to move on quickly.
I've been doing temp work for 13 months solid (purchase ledger, finance assistant and currently accounts assistant). Not that money is everything but £10/hr isn't exactly great and I've self-funded/self-studied my way through 7 ACCA exam passes in the last 12 months (I think the pace that I've gone through the ACCA exams may be making people think that I'm too ambitious).
Anyway that's it really, I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the best route ahead - my preference is to go through industry rather than practice but would be happy to stick out practice for a couple of years until I'm qualified (I'm not so keen on client-facing work). (I'm finding that in industry the large firms want a 2:1 and the small firms want six-form leavers who work there way slowly through AAT, with nothing inbetween).
Also, I ran a successful business at uni but I've taken this off the CV because I still run the business (now takes up <15 minutes per week) - it causes me to crash at interview because they worry that I'm understating the time it takes up, they also worry that I am too entrepreneurial (didn't know that was a bad thing!) - so for my degree my CV just shows a rather average degree grade with no mitigating explanation.
A levels were A in Economics, B in Maths, B in Physics.
Any ideas would be gratefully received!
- Bank request To verify Accounts 189 6
- RE assets introduced and rent 65 1
- AML report needed? 151 6
- transactions after account have been closed 307 10
- VAT on work on residential premises (empty for 2 years prior) 59 1
- The stupidity continues 1,338 67
- How to claim subsistence for working away from home 150 2
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 387 9
- Marketing and email surprises 446 9
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 763 26
- What is IRIS World like? 407 10
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 321 5
- Mlom bollocks 241 4
- VT Transactions Stock Issues 102 2
- Non-Europe based but want to do UK taxes 158 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 588 11
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 307 6
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 279 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 165 1
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,377 25
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 444
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 443
- WIP Software 306
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 293
- No payroll scheme in place 241
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 235
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 215
- Is there anything wrong with this? 210
- Small Part Disposal of Property 196
- Uncommercial property business 187