Career change from engineering to accountancy
I've been trying to undergo a career change from engineering to accountancy for about 13 months now.
I've got a 2:2 in Mechanical Engineering (Nottingham University) and an MSc in Engineering (55%) from Southampton University.
The problem I've got is that if I apply to a big firm then they want a 2:1 (regardless of university or course which I find incredible) and if I go to a smaller firm they are concerned that I'm over qualified (i.e. 4 years engineering degree from top tier engineering universities), I've also just turned 27 which probabaly also makes them think I'll be looking to move on quickly.
I've been doing temp work for 13 months solid (purchase ledger, finance assistant and currently accounts assistant). Not that money is everything but £10/hr isn't exactly great and I've self-funded/self-studied my way through 7 ACCA exam passes in the last 12 months (I think the pace that I've gone through the ACCA exams may be making people think that I'm too ambitious).
Anyway that's it really, I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the best route ahead - my preference is to go through industry rather than practice but would be happy to stick out practice for a couple of years until I'm qualified (I'm not so keen on client-facing work). (I'm finding that in industry the large firms want a 2:1 and the small firms want six-form leavers who work there way slowly through AAT, with nothing inbetween).
Also, I ran a successful business at uni but I've taken this off the CV because I still run the business (now takes up <15 minutes per week) - it causes me to crash at interview because they worry that I'm understating the time it takes up, they also worry that I am too entrepreneurial (didn't know that was a bad thing!) - so for my degree my CV just shows a rather average degree grade with no mitigating explanation.
A levels were A in Economics, B in Maths, B in Physics.
Any ideas would be gratefully received!
- 2011 Self Assessment Tax return form 20 1
- dividend date - whose income is it? 329 5
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 89 3
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 694 11
- Family Partnership 111 1
- Stand alone practice management software 2,015 31
- flat rate scheme 2,208 41
- HMRC Postal Delays 360 10
- Can anybody recommend any software 141 1
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 1,353 14
- Legal advisor recommendation please 259 5
- Closure of PAYE scheme 182 2
- How can a childcare facility mitigate vat 184 2
- Dividends allowed on ordinary shares transferred during the year?? 184 3
- Termination Payment 504 15
- Company Share Buy Back 343 8
- P11D Car Value 135 2
- Business lending another business money (UK) 250 6
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 301 5
- bookkeeping system 700 9