Career change from engineering to accountancy
I've been trying to undergo a career change from engineering to accountancy for about 13 months now.
I've got a 2:2 in Mechanical Engineering (Nottingham University) and an MSc in Engineering (55%) from Southampton University.
The problem I've got is that if I apply to a big firm then they want a 2:1 (regardless of university or course which I find incredible) and if I go to a smaller firm they are concerned that I'm over qualified (i.e. 4 years engineering degree from top tier engineering universities), I've also just turned 27 which probabaly also makes them think I'll be looking to move on quickly.
I've been doing temp work for 13 months solid (purchase ledger, finance assistant and currently accounts assistant). Not that money is everything but £10/hr isn't exactly great and I've self-funded/self-studied my way through 7 ACCA exam passes in the last 12 months (I think the pace that I've gone through the ACCA exams may be making people think that I'm too ambitious).
Anyway that's it really, I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the best route ahead - my preference is to go through industry rather than practice but would be happy to stick out practice for a couple of years until I'm qualified (I'm not so keen on client-facing work). (I'm finding that in industry the large firms want a 2:1 and the small firms want six-form leavers who work there way slowly through AAT, with nothing inbetween).
Also, I ran a successful business at uni but I've taken this off the CV because I still run the business (now takes up <15 minutes per week) - it causes me to crash at interview because they worry that I'm understating the time it takes up, they also worry that I am too entrepreneurial (didn't know that was a bad thing!) - so for my degree my CV just shows a rather average degree grade with no mitigating explanation.
A levels were A in Economics, B in Maths, B in Physics.
Any ideas would be gratefully received!
- Client died family to pay redundancy 80 1
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 389 13
- Builder using cash labour 285 3
- Notes to statutory accounts 25 1
- Easy way to not pay tax 697 18
- Holding companies 26 1
- Accomodation charge for Publican 106 2
- VAT & Landlords 40 1
- VAT Registration 326 16
- Singaporean Tax Adviser 39 1
- Valuation of PET on death 205 6
- Auto enrolment 856 10
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 246 4
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 405 17
- Vat on second hand goods 167 2
- Soil Survey Required Mortgage 127 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 630 17
- another ir35!!!! 845 3
- Entrepreneur's relief and LLPs 165 3
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 1,984 39
- Skandia using wrong address 1,511
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 836
- International interest certificate 454
- NOVA 310
- Bonus Bonds 193
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 190
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 187
- Management expenses for investment company 184
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 172
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 164