Career change from engineering to accountancy
I've been trying to undergo a career change from engineering to accountancy for about 13 months now.
I've got a 2:2 in Mechanical Engineering (Nottingham University) and an MSc in Engineering (55%) from Southampton University.
The problem I've got is that if I apply to a big firm then they want a 2:1 (regardless of university or course which I find incredible) and if I go to a smaller firm they are concerned that I'm over qualified (i.e. 4 years engineering degree from top tier engineering universities), I've also just turned 27 which probabaly also makes them think I'll be looking to move on quickly.
I've been doing temp work for 13 months solid (purchase ledger, finance assistant and currently accounts assistant). Not that money is everything but £10/hr isn't exactly great and I've self-funded/self-studied my way through 7 ACCA exam passes in the last 12 months (I think the pace that I've gone through the ACCA exams may be making people think that I'm too ambitious).
Anyway that's it really, I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the best route ahead - my preference is to go through industry rather than practice but would be happy to stick out practice for a couple of years until I'm qualified (I'm not so keen on client-facing work). (I'm finding that in industry the large firms want a 2:1 and the small firms want six-form leavers who work there way slowly through AAT, with nothing inbetween).
Also, I ran a successful business at uni but I've taken this off the CV because I still run the business (now takes up <15 minutes per week) - it causes me to crash at interview because they worry that I'm understating the time it takes up, they also worry that I am too entrepreneurial (didn't know that was a bad thing!) - so for my degree my CV just shows a rather average degree grade with no mitigating explanation.
A levels were A in Economics, B in Maths, B in Physics.
Any ideas would be gratefully received!
- How much does the company pay 668 30
- Anyone else still working this week? 350 10
- AIA 270 18
- Van Benefit in Kind Query 160 5
- Childcare vouchers 321 6
- Using home as clients registered address 72 2
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 40 1
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 218 2
- I have done a terrible thing 743 15
- HMRC property income enquiry 335 8
- Not paying accountant 1,849 46
- Cash basis VAT return 93 1
- VAT on Business Premises 91 2
- Section 165 TCGA 1992 - time limit? 70 1
- Consolidation Software 143 2
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 475 11
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,027 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,199 32
- LLp Profits 142 5
- two business from one premises 146 2
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 504
- corporate hierarchy 465
- Advice - 319
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 267
- WWOOFers 259
- The booking.com con 241
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 234
- Cocaine anyone? 221
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 215
- UK State pension paid in NZ 176