Career change from engineering to accountancy
I've been trying to undergo a career change from engineering to accountancy for about 13 months now.
I've got a 2:2 in Mechanical Engineering (Nottingham University) and an MSc in Engineering (55%) from Southampton University.
The problem I've got is that if I apply to a big firm then they want a 2:1 (regardless of university or course which I find incredible) and if I go to a smaller firm they are concerned that I'm over qualified (i.e. 4 years engineering degree from top tier engineering universities), I've also just turned 27 which probabaly also makes them think I'll be looking to move on quickly.
I've been doing temp work for 13 months solid (purchase ledger, finance assistant and currently accounts assistant). Not that money is everything but £10/hr isn't exactly great and I've self-funded/self-studied my way through 7 ACCA exam passes in the last 12 months (I think the pace that I've gone through the ACCA exams may be making people think that I'm too ambitious).
Anyway that's it really, I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the best route ahead - my preference is to go through industry rather than practice but would be happy to stick out practice for a couple of years until I'm qualified (I'm not so keen on client-facing work). (I'm finding that in industry the large firms want a 2:1 and the small firms want six-form leavers who work there way slowly through AAT, with nothing inbetween).
Also, I ran a successful business at uni but I've taken this off the CV because I still run the business (now takes up <15 minutes per week) - it causes me to crash at interview because they worry that I'm understating the time it takes up, they also worry that I am too entrepreneurial (didn't know that was a bad thing!) - so for my degree my CV just shows a rather average degree grade with no mitigating explanation.
A levels were A in Economics, B in Maths, B in Physics.
Any ideas would be gratefully received!
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,208 5
- Any Scottish members out there? 9,066 339
- Profitable company wanting to buy an office 63 1
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 75 3
- Outsourcing iXBRL Tagging 366 21
- Use of home for storage 290 6
- VAT registration for self employed dentist??? 295 10
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 751 15
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,215 21
- Shutting down losing Directors Loan 333 4
- VAT on stock sold at a loss 180 6
- Commercial property rental on disincorporation 68 1
- property rental income split 224 2
- Payments on account coded out?? 284 1
- Late filing penalty for personal tax return. Reasonable excuse 341 9
- Mortgage deposit Gift 393 17
- What should I do for 'free' 597 6
- Declined for business bank account 498 7
- Negativer Payslip Request 260 3
- Family loan 1,231 16
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,181
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 398
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 311
- National Insurance 306
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 258
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 232
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 231
- Non Resident 215
- Franchise income and costs 199
- Hands on experience of Digita 139