Career change from engineering to accountancy
I've been trying to undergo a career change from engineering to accountancy for about 13 months now.
I've got a 2:2 in Mechanical Engineering (Nottingham University) and an MSc in Engineering (55%) from Southampton University.
The problem I've got is that if I apply to a big firm then they want a 2:1 (regardless of university or course which I find incredible) and if I go to a smaller firm they are concerned that I'm over qualified (i.e. 4 years engineering degree from top tier engineering universities), I've also just turned 27 which probabaly also makes them think I'll be looking to move on quickly.
I've been doing temp work for 13 months solid (purchase ledger, finance assistant and currently accounts assistant). Not that money is everything but £10/hr isn't exactly great and I've self-funded/self-studied my way through 7 ACCA exam passes in the last 12 months (I think the pace that I've gone through the ACCA exams may be making people think that I'm too ambitious).
Anyway that's it really, I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the best route ahead - my preference is to go through industry rather than practice but would be happy to stick out practice for a couple of years until I'm qualified (I'm not so keen on client-facing work). (I'm finding that in industry the large firms want a 2:1 and the small firms want six-form leavers who work there way slowly through AAT, with nothing inbetween).
Also, I ran a successful business at uni but I've taken this off the CV because I still run the business (now takes up <15 minutes per week) - it causes me to crash at interview because they worry that I'm understating the time it takes up, they also worry that I am too entrepreneurial (didn't know that was a bad thing!) - so for my degree my CV just shows a rather average degree grade with no mitigating explanation.
A levels were A in Economics, B in Maths, B in Physics.
Any ideas would be gratefully received!
- How much to charge for payroll? 678 15
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 79 3
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 226 4
- See you all on the other side 175 5
- When do we qualify for state pension? 63 1
- VATABLE Income 164 3
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 88 2
- Seeking a tax case 185 7
- Different Filing Dates - Help! 238 7
- What are we calling cloud now? 378 6
- P11D software 63 1
- Write off of loans FROM participators 436 9
- VAT - business splitting 223 3
- Income tax or Capital gains tax? 577 16
- BTC vs Digita 937 28
- RTI - how to correct HMRC's error 397 7
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 942 16
- Jersey - VAT 104 2
- how to file Late annual Accounts for dormant company ? 293 5
- Flat rate Vat Scheme for a Welder 125 2
- HMRC Joint Filing 520
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 389
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 348
- IRIS and FRS 102 323
- USA help 279
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 240
- Capital gains on rental property 223
- Sage Coretime 210
- Capitalising Finance Lease 209
- PILON Foreign Service Exemption ITEPA 2003 S414 185