CGT and PPR
Client purchased a property in 1990 which was mainly let until disposed of in 2009 (let for appox 15 years total).
No PPR election was made within the 1st 2 years of purchase of the property.
Client was not resident in the property until July 2008, at which time the client was resident in the second property for a period of 3 weeks while attending daily hospital appointments. The second property is approx. 2 hours drive from the main residence but 5 mins from the hospital. Revenue was informed of a change in PPR in relation to this period of residence.
In April 2009, client disposed of the second property claiming PPR for the final 36 months of ownership and letting relief to the extent of the PPR exemption, saving a modest amount of tax.
Unsurprisingly the revenue have opened a compliance check. My question is - is the PPR claim valid on the second property. My client was definitely resident for this period, but as he was outside of the 2 year window for making an election can he claim PPR?
- How would you account for warranty? 109 4
- LLP - Member leaving 86 5
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 381 22
- Sweet Tooth 129 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,013 13
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 188 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 156 2
- trading or dormant 93 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 82 1
- tax credits 118 5
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 516 19
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 178 6
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 558 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 257 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 108 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 191 3
- Foreign income for self employed 124 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 632 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 81 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 492 10
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 861
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 513
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 324
- How to format a stock book 303
- Tax efficient holding company structure 239
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 233
- Investment property company accounts template 223
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 217
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 188
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 158