CGT and PPR
Client purchased a property in 1990 which was mainly let until disposed of in 2009 (let for appox 15 years total).
No PPR election was made within the 1st 2 years of purchase of the property.
Client was not resident in the property until July 2008, at which time the client was resident in the second property for a period of 3 weeks while attending daily hospital appointments. The second property is approx. 2 hours drive from the main residence but 5 mins from the hospital. Revenue was informed of a change in PPR in relation to this period of residence.
In April 2009, client disposed of the second property claiming PPR for the final 36 months of ownership and letting relief to the extent of the PPR exemption, saving a modest amount of tax.
Unsurprisingly the revenue have opened a compliance check. My question is - is the PPR claim valid on the second property. My client was definitely resident for this period, but as he was outside of the 2 year window for making an election can he claim PPR?
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 237 1
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 310 17
- Donations (to a school!) 216 8
- Any Scottish members out there? 6,979 260
- Employment related securities question 549 2
- Shutting down a company with creditors 869 12
- Standard 'email' template system 748 12
- Private Residence Election for CGT purposes 247 4
- business card address 89 3
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 111 5
- Expenses of overseas employment 85 1
- Tax implications for client leaving share incentive plan 76 2
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 179 2
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 129 5
- VAT Romania - how to register 196 4
- Repairs after a rental business ends 207 6
- Am I allowed Rent A Room Relief? 491 10
- Beaters and allowable exenses 164 2
- Family loan 284 7
- FL Memo - Any Good 493 8
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,095
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 358
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 296
- National Insurance 260
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 233
- Payments on account coded out?? 219
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 215
- Non Resident 178
- Franchise income and costs 170
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 139