CGT and PPR
Client purchased a property in 1990 which was mainly let until disposed of in 2009 (let for appox 15 years total).
No PPR election was made within the 1st 2 years of purchase of the property.
Client was not resident in the property until July 2008, at which time the client was resident in the second property for a period of 3 weeks while attending daily hospital appointments. The second property is approx. 2 hours drive from the main residence but 5 mins from the hospital. Revenue was informed of a change in PPR in relation to this period of residence.
In April 2009, client disposed of the second property claiming PPR for the final 36 months of ownership and letting relief to the extent of the PPR exemption, saving a modest amount of tax.
Unsurprisingly the revenue have opened a compliance check. My question is - is the PPR claim valid on the second property. My client was definitely resident for this period, but as he was outside of the 2 year window for making an election can he claim PPR?
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 186 5
- IFA incorporation problems 126 1
- Director's loan account in credit 162 1
- Excel question - how can I easily link to a row of data with gaps between the cells? 655 23
- Excel Help - Check box and hiding cells 285 3
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,352 17
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 259 15
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 305 9
- Cars Leased primarily for Taxi Hire 149 1
- VAT on digital streaming of my company's music? 152 2
- Can a sole-trader make pension contributions to avoid loss of personal allowance? 212 5
- Does this annoy anyone else ? 3,263 42
- Recharge for private use of a company car 144 2
- Bloomsbury Professional tax books 130 1
- IR35 - it it worth worrying about any more? 399 7
- Wear and tear allowance 470 10
- CIS deductions against the wrong UTR 203 6
- Residency test 205 4
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 262 3
- VAT Turnover 165 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 703
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 694
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 372
- Social investment tax relief 190
- Digita Hosted Software 181
- Call Centre Data Costs 181
- option to tax 165
- VAT on deposits 155
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 140
- Travel costs and contractors 136