CGT and PPR
Client purchased a property in 1990 which was mainly let until disposed of in 2009 (let for appox 15 years total).
No PPR election was made within the 1st 2 years of purchase of the property.
Client was not resident in the property until July 2008, at which time the client was resident in the second property for a period of 3 weeks while attending daily hospital appointments. The second property is approx. 2 hours drive from the main residence but 5 mins from the hospital. Revenue was informed of a change in PPR in relation to this period of residence.
In April 2009, client disposed of the second property claiming PPR for the final 36 months of ownership and letting relief to the extent of the PPR exemption, saving a modest amount of tax.
Unsurprisingly the revenue have opened a compliance check. My question is - is the PPR claim valid on the second property. My client was definitely resident for this period, but as he was outside of the 2 year window for making an election can he claim PPR?
- OBK 416 18
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 139 4
- cost of moving out for a few weeks 100 3
- Flat Rate Scheme - Joining date 63 1
- Auto-Enrolment 3,653 175
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,724 26
- Sage error message 133 2
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 70 1
- Partially exempt? 149 5
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 476 5
- Mileage claim 219 9
- Proof of Delivery 235 8
- What is 'an asset' for A/A+B CGT? 94 4
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 523 1
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 340 8
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 229 9
- Property expense - legal fees 155 3
- Research expenses for authors 277 6
- Investor exit 83 1
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 133 3
- Skandia using wrong address 460
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 268
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 252
- Employee rewards 250
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 215
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 205
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 201
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 187
- Etax Australian 160
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 148