CGT and PPR
Client purchased a property in 1990 which was mainly let until disposed of in 2009 (let for appox 15 years total).
No PPR election was made within the 1st 2 years of purchase of the property.
Client was not resident in the property until July 2008, at which time the client was resident in the second property for a period of 3 weeks while attending daily hospital appointments. The second property is approx. 2 hours drive from the main residence but 5 mins from the hospital. Revenue was informed of a change in PPR in relation to this period of residence.
In April 2009, client disposed of the second property claiming PPR for the final 36 months of ownership and letting relief to the extent of the PPR exemption, saving a modest amount of tax.
Unsurprisingly the revenue have opened a compliance check. My question is - is the PPR claim valid on the second property. My client was definitely resident for this period, but as he was outside of the 2 year window for making an election can he claim PPR?
- trading or dormant 43 1
- Goodwill ammortisation 17 1
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 971 11
- tax credits 75 5
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 124 5
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 473 19
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 152 6
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 549 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 246 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 91 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 173 3
- Foreign income for self employed 111 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 608 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 56 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 484 10
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 193 1
- EC VAT 223 10
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 217 7
- Musician deductible expenses 99 1
- Invoice or journal for inter-company transactions 105 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 852
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 512
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 323
- How to format a stock book 297
- Tax efficient holding company structure 237
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 232
- Investment property company accounts template 221
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 215
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 183
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 154