CGT and PPR
Client purchased a property in 1990 which was mainly let until disposed of in 2009 (let for appox 15 years total).
No PPR election was made within the 1st 2 years of purchase of the property.
Client was not resident in the property until July 2008, at which time the client was resident in the second property for a period of 3 weeks while attending daily hospital appointments. The second property is approx. 2 hours drive from the main residence but 5 mins from the hospital. Revenue was informed of a change in PPR in relation to this period of residence.
In April 2009, client disposed of the second property claiming PPR for the final 36 months of ownership and letting relief to the extent of the PPR exemption, saving a modest amount of tax.
Unsurprisingly the revenue have opened a compliance check. My question is - is the PPR claim valid on the second property. My client was definitely resident for this period, but as he was outside of the 2 year window for making an election can he claim PPR?
- CGT history of shares 174 4
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 135 5
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 167 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 330 6
- CGT on sale of let property 109 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 174 2
- how do i get UTR 136 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 84 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 233 3
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 408 11
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 126 1
- Your comments please 314 6
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 188 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 121 2
- EIS 196 4
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 126 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 114 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 124 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 725 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 202 1
- Moving away from CCH software 966
- QROP pension input amounts 450
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 394
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 380
- fraud 303
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 277
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 243
- Construction CIS LLP Company 228
- EPS and CIS deductions 221
- Out of time or not? 207