CGT and PPR
Client purchased a property in 1990 which was mainly let until disposed of in 2009 (let for appox 15 years total).
No PPR election was made within the 1st 2 years of purchase of the property.
Client was not resident in the property until July 2008, at which time the client was resident in the second property for a period of 3 weeks while attending daily hospital appointments. The second property is approx. 2 hours drive from the main residence but 5 mins from the hospital. Revenue was informed of a change in PPR in relation to this period of residence.
In April 2009, client disposed of the second property claiming PPR for the final 36 months of ownership and letting relief to the extent of the PPR exemption, saving a modest amount of tax.
Unsurprisingly the revenue have opened a compliance check. My question is - is the PPR claim valid on the second property. My client was definitely resident for this period, but as he was outside of the 2 year window for making an election can he claim PPR?
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 538 5
- See you all on the other side 649 6
- 12Pay 375 2
- dividends 522 2
- R&D 286 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,140 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 423 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 366 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 335 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 523 5
- Seeking a tax case 601 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 462 4
- Companies house strike off 472 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 376 2
- Moving to the cloud 717 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 207 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 868 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 196 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,077 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 469 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 547
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 414
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 365
- IRIS and FRS 102 347
- Capitalising Finance Lease 312
- USA help 309
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 289
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 280
- Capital gains on rental property 256
- Sage Coretime 231