CGT and PPR
Client purchased a property in 1990 which was mainly let until disposed of in 2009 (let for appox 15 years total).
No PPR election was made within the 1st 2 years of purchase of the property.
Client was not resident in the property until July 2008, at which time the client was resident in the second property for a period of 3 weeks while attending daily hospital appointments. The second property is approx. 2 hours drive from the main residence but 5 mins from the hospital. Revenue was informed of a change in PPR in relation to this period of residence.
In April 2009, client disposed of the second property claiming PPR for the final 36 months of ownership and letting relief to the extent of the PPR exemption, saving a modest amount of tax.
Unsurprisingly the revenue have opened a compliance check. My question is - is the PPR claim valid on the second property. My client was definitely resident for this period, but as he was outside of the 2 year window for making an election can he claim PPR?
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 965 47
- New starter error how to correct 92 2
- Tax implication giving money to friend (not family) 240 4
- Summer house for business only 220 2
- Taxi Plate & Car 187 5
- Dividends out of profit where P&L bfwd is in deficit 140 4
- SA316s 249 4
- Director with lots of personal expenses 101 2
- Does a UK LTD pay Corporation Tax before sending dividend to Holding Company? 119 2
- LEL and PAYE registration 129 2
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 597 13
- Filing amended tax return 134 1
- Tier One Tribunal 228 11
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 841 26
- Prompt Payment Discount (PPD) Vat 2015 - CREDIT PRIOR INVOICE 123 1
- Pooled cars legislation unfairly punitive 140 2
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 262 5
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 169 2
- Another transfer of property 162 2
- VAT on non-denominated postage 230 7
- Construction CIS LLP Company 614
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 600
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 390
- Pensions Regulator 360
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 297
- Using the correct forms 272
- RTI - duplicate employee record 268
- SA penalty proposals 260
- Accelerated payment notices 241
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 238