CGT and PPR
Client purchased a property in 1990 which was mainly let until disposed of in 2009 (let for appox 15 years total).
No PPR election was made within the 1st 2 years of purchase of the property.
Client was not resident in the property until July 2008, at which time the client was resident in the second property for a period of 3 weeks while attending daily hospital appointments. The second property is approx. 2 hours drive from the main residence but 5 mins from the hospital. Revenue was informed of a change in PPR in relation to this period of residence.
In April 2009, client disposed of the second property claiming PPR for the final 36 months of ownership and letting relief to the extent of the PPR exemption, saving a modest amount of tax.
Unsurprisingly the revenue have opened a compliance check. My question is - is the PPR claim valid on the second property. My client was definitely resident for this period, but as he was outside of the 2 year window for making an election can he claim PPR?
- which software 358 4
- Self employed travel expenses 108 2
- Filing Dormant LLPs with Companies House 13 1
- Is a tax return required - rental income? 363 4
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 347 18
- Audit exempt subsidiary 48 1
- Accounting treatment of service charges incurred prior to occupation 135 1
- Best apps for clients 253 4
- Tax position re this lease? 89 1
- VAT on Training Courses 113 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 568 8
- sole trader employing his girlfriend 1,779 16
- HMRC list of tax avoidance schemes 265 2
- Corporation tax - group relief on 75% subsidiary 122 2
- Unpaid company directors and self employment 215 2
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 430 2
- Dissolution of a LLP with ongoing HMRC Inquiry 183 2
- Any point writing to HMRC to appeal against self assessment penalties ? 458 13
- Real names 1,031 32
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 303 7
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 575
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 447
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 350
- IFA incorporation 333
- Sorry ignore me 307
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 268
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 260
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 251
- Cancelled 195
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 163