CGT and PPR
Client purchased a property in 1990 which was mainly let until disposed of in 2009 (let for appox 15 years total).
No PPR election was made within the 1st 2 years of purchase of the property.
Client was not resident in the property until July 2008, at which time the client was resident in the second property for a period of 3 weeks while attending daily hospital appointments. The second property is approx. 2 hours drive from the main residence but 5 mins from the hospital. Revenue was informed of a change in PPR in relation to this period of residence.
In April 2009, client disposed of the second property claiming PPR for the final 36 months of ownership and letting relief to the extent of the PPR exemption, saving a modest amount of tax.
Unsurprisingly the revenue have opened a compliance check. My question is - is the PPR claim valid on the second property. My client was definitely resident for this period, but as he was outside of the 2 year window for making an election can he claim PPR?
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 669 13
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 293 16
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 72 2
- Personal pension 431 9
- Business rates consultancy 255 4
- Wrong tax code 150 6
- Benefit in Kind 241 5
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 71 2
- Am I getting Soft?? 249 10
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,051 31
- Deferred Tax 467 8
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 206 1
- You know its over 480 6
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 241 1
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 142 1
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 228 3
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,271 14
- Cocaine anyone? 619 10
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 148 2
- Dutch and Germany VAT 178 3
- Hive up 509
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 473
- corporate hierarchy 450
- Advice - 291
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 235
- WWOOFers 229
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 215
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 192
- The booking.com con 167
- UK State pension paid in NZ 163