CGT and PPR
Client purchased a property in 1990 which was mainly let until disposed of in 2009 (let for appox 15 years total).
No PPR election was made within the 1st 2 years of purchase of the property.
Client was not resident in the property until July 2008, at which time the client was resident in the second property for a period of 3 weeks while attending daily hospital appointments. The second property is approx. 2 hours drive from the main residence but 5 mins from the hospital. Revenue was informed of a change in PPR in relation to this period of residence.
In April 2009, client disposed of the second property claiming PPR for the final 36 months of ownership and letting relief to the extent of the PPR exemption, saving a modest amount of tax.
Unsurprisingly the revenue have opened a compliance check. My question is - is the PPR claim valid on the second property. My client was definitely resident for this period, but as he was outside of the 2 year window for making an election can he claim PPR?
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 144 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,630 60
- Dividend dates 519 9
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 53 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 409 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 139 2
- 12 Pay Problems 220 3
- VAT online filing exemptions 209 3
- Deduction from Salary 247 7
- Sole properietor 76 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 81 1
- Redudancy 48 1
- Redundancy pay for directors? 472 13
- VAT - Recharge 82 2
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 347 4
- transitioning payroll 174 4
- Legal title not in the company name 203 9
- Should VAT be charged when land is transferred as part of a TOGC 164 3
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,752 30
- Car financed by employee 193 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 361
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 307
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 278
- Probiz 269
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 226
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 225
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 202
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 171