CGT and PPR
Client purchased a property in 1990 which was mainly let until disposed of in 2009 (let for appox 15 years total).
No PPR election was made within the 1st 2 years of purchase of the property.
Client was not resident in the property until July 2008, at which time the client was resident in the second property for a period of 3 weeks while attending daily hospital appointments. The second property is approx. 2 hours drive from the main residence but 5 mins from the hospital. Revenue was informed of a change in PPR in relation to this period of residence.
In April 2009, client disposed of the second property claiming PPR for the final 36 months of ownership and letting relief to the extent of the PPR exemption, saving a modest amount of tax.
Unsurprisingly the revenue have opened a compliance check. My question is - is the PPR claim valid on the second property. My client was definitely resident for this period, but as he was outside of the 2 year window for making an election can he claim PPR?
- Worried over stock value 351 11
- Terminal Trade Loss Relief 25 2
- is PMI for directors and families 17 1
- Capital Gains on Residential Property 46 1
- Self Assessment Penalties 87 4
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 775 30
- Insolvent company in process of strike off 101 2
- Use of home deduction 151 5
- Mortgage Repayment Sale of Property 71 3
- STUDENT LOAN 160 2
- Paperless practices - do you keep any paper records? 709 21
- US-UK pension problem 66 1
- Knuckle down one week to go! 824 20
- Online SA303 Nine Digit UTR 71 1
- Non resident income. 74 3
- client can't/won't pay 1,129 19
- SA late payment penalty 89 2
- Car Allowance and Fuel Card for Business Mileage 60 1
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 323 11
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 899 25
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 838
- Copy Wanted 571
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 517
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 501
- Latest phishing scam 368
- Entrepreneurs' relief 341
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 303
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 294
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 288
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 195