CGT and PPR
Client purchased a property in 1990 which was mainly let until disposed of in 2009 (let for appox 15 years total).
No PPR election was made within the 1st 2 years of purchase of the property.
Client was not resident in the property until July 2008, at which time the client was resident in the second property for a period of 3 weeks while attending daily hospital appointments. The second property is approx. 2 hours drive from the main residence but 5 mins from the hospital. Revenue was informed of a change in PPR in relation to this period of residence.
In April 2009, client disposed of the second property claiming PPR for the final 36 months of ownership and letting relief to the extent of the PPR exemption, saving a modest amount of tax.
Unsurprisingly the revenue have opened a compliance check. My question is - is the PPR claim valid on the second property. My client was definitely resident for this period, but as he was outside of the 2 year window for making an election can he claim PPR?
- Tax Overlap Reporting 278 4
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 299 2
- Client Paperwork Retention? 509 12
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 364 9
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 256 1
- Very large share capital by mistake 209 1
- Reimbursing director travel costs 412 6
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,977 45
- Love is in the air 322 3
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,699 20
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 241 8
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 401 8
- Sage 50 VAT Return 246 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 522 1
- Paying Son 658 18
- HMRC accounting 387 3
- Employers NI allowance 463 6
- Dividend taxation 390 3
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 189 2
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 456 4
- DTA tie-breaker issue 295
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 278
- CGT for NOn UK residents 276
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 269
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 249
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 235
- Apprenticeship Levy 231
- Capital Gains personal representatives 215
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 209
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 189