CGT and PPR
Client purchased a property in 1990 which was mainly let until disposed of in 2009 (let for appox 15 years total).
No PPR election was made within the 1st 2 years of purchase of the property.
Client was not resident in the property until July 2008, at which time the client was resident in the second property for a period of 3 weeks while attending daily hospital appointments. The second property is approx. 2 hours drive from the main residence but 5 mins from the hospital. Revenue was informed of a change in PPR in relation to this period of residence.
In April 2009, client disposed of the second property claiming PPR for the final 36 months of ownership and letting relief to the extent of the PPR exemption, saving a modest amount of tax.
Unsurprisingly the revenue have opened a compliance check. My question is - is the PPR claim valid on the second property. My client was definitely resident for this period, but as he was outside of the 2 year window for making an election can he claim PPR?
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 97 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 701 27
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 223 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 65 5
- Accounting for a finance lease 104 4
- SA302's anyone?? 467 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,555 41
- Renting for military reasons 128 2
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 260 7
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,468 18
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 167 8
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 1,025 18
- Deed of variation on a will & effect on tax returns 100 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 109 1
- do i pay vat when buying a business 488 25
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,971 30
- Tax status of prizes 311 17
- Clogged Losses 245 4
- Import Sales Invoices into Sage Instant 310 5
- Are Sage finally getting it's act together? 260 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,613
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 894
- International interest certificate 503
- NOVA 366
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 277
- Bonus Bonds 257
- Management expenses for investment company 257
- Help with tax codes on Sage 204
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 168
- tax on apprenticeship income 163