CGT and PPR
Client purchased a property in 1990 which was mainly let until disposed of in 2009 (let for appox 15 years total).
No PPR election was made within the 1st 2 years of purchase of the property.
Client was not resident in the property until July 2008, at which time the client was resident in the second property for a period of 3 weeks while attending daily hospital appointments. The second property is approx. 2 hours drive from the main residence but 5 mins from the hospital. Revenue was informed of a change in PPR in relation to this period of residence.
In April 2009, client disposed of the second property claiming PPR for the final 36 months of ownership and letting relief to the extent of the PPR exemption, saving a modest amount of tax.
Unsurprisingly the revenue have opened a compliance check. My question is - is the PPR claim valid on the second property. My client was definitely resident for this period, but as he was outside of the 2 year window for making an election can he claim PPR?
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 413 18
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 150 3
- Scottish Independance 691 20
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 162 2
- Dress code 1,445 34
- Trees and hedging - capital expenditure 33 1
- SH01 filing deadline - late filing 109 2
- How to complain about HMRC 1,327 16
- Limited company buying director's car 139 7
- Entrepeneurs relief 219 11
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 150 1
- Historical figures for WTC 62 1
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 419 9
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 1,169 16
- Commercial kitchen equipement deemed chattels for SDLT and capital allowances purposes? 117 2
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 261 4
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 429 6
- WC's and capital allowances 109 1
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 266 1
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 897 10
- CTA study material 760
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 467
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 364
- Employment related securities question 300
- AIM Stocks and IHT 276
- Expat pension contributions? 249
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 247
- Trust for Employee 229
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 149
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 142