CGT & Business Use of Home
It was instilled into me long ago that a room completely set aside for business purposes still retained the Principle Private Residence Relief if personal possessions were kept in that room, eg. television, books, stamp collections etc.
On trawling through the HMRC Capital Gains Manual, I came across CG64663 - "Private residence relief: part of house used exclusively for business." Within that section is the following paragraph: "But occasional and very minor residential use should be disregarded. For example, if a doctor keeps private possessions in a room used as her surgery the surgery should still be regarded as exclusively in business use."
Would actually watching the TV or reading books be deemed to be "occasional and very minor residential use"?
I have a client who works from home and about 2/3 (two-thirds) of the rooms in the house are used for business in one form or another, whether it be for meeting and greeting customers (yes, there is appropriate insurance in place), storing documents and office equipment or physical working areas. The client claims the usual expenses involved in working from home duly restricted by 1/3 (one-third) private use.
Since each room contains personal possessions, to my way of thinking this means that 100% PPR should be available. Now I am not so sure.
I should be interested to know if anyone has encountered application of this section and the outcome or indeed has any practical suggestions so as to ensure that the PPR is retained in its entirety.
- Please for the love of god can anyone clear this up for me accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there....accountants need to help other accountants out :) 220 9
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 516 11
- Tax Return Deadlines 90 1
- Flat rate vat error 319 7
- EC VAT 204 9
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 514 13
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 283 14
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 537 16
- can I claim a per diem 254 5
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 135 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,371 8
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 247 6
- VAT on part of a closed pub 240 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 86 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 285 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 528 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 853 19
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 158 3
- Linux Accounting Software 565 13
- RTI due -no broadband 168 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 827
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 504
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 316
- How to format a stock book 284
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 227
- Tax efficient holding company structure 225
- Investment property company accounts template 218
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 210
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 180
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 179