CGT & Business Use of Home
It was instilled into me long ago that a room completely set aside for business purposes still retained the Principle Private Residence Relief if personal possessions were kept in that room, eg. television, books, stamp collections etc.
On trawling through the HMRC Capital Gains Manual, I came across CG64663 - "Private residence relief: part of house used exclusively for business." Within that section is the following paragraph: "But occasional and very minor residential use should be disregarded. For example, if a doctor keeps private possessions in a room used as her surgery the surgery should still be regarded as exclusively in business use."
Would actually watching the TV or reading books be deemed to be "occasional and very minor residential use"?
I have a client who works from home and about 2/3 (two-thirds) of the rooms in the house are used for business in one form or another, whether it be for meeting and greeting customers (yes, there is appropriate insurance in place), storing documents and office equipment or physical working areas. The client claims the usual expenses involved in working from home duly restricted by 1/3 (one-third) private use.
Since each room contains personal possessions, to my way of thinking this means that 100% PPR should be available. Now I am not so sure.
I should be interested to know if anyone has encountered application of this section and the outcome or indeed has any practical suggestions so as to ensure that the PPR is retained in its entirety.
- Does reputation of a tax agent affect likelihood of a HMRC audit 283 4
- Family property company Benefit in Kind and ATED issues 88 1
- PPR ELECTION 335 10
- Microsoft One Drive 274 8
- Capital Allowances for cars/hackney carriages 112 2
- Travel expenses for director - flight 386 4
- Invoices 157 1
- Not a question but made my day 667 14
- Accounts Package 296 8
- Question about VAT Group Registration 133 1
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 651 18
- Reclaim VAT charged by US company 271 3
- Repayment of Share Capital 410 8
- VAT on property 149 1
- To make a claim against my PI insurer 311 4
- Late night meals self employed 381 2
- Auto enrolment pension scheme set up 426 9
- EBT Self Assessment Return 277 1
- Is there a way around new dividend tax changes? 2,913 18
- Vat Exemption moving to a partnership 144 1
- NHS finance professionals 573
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 379
- Foreign Pension Contribution 350
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 330
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 312
- vat gross profit percentage margins 310
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 287
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 255
- Thinning income 237
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 209