CGT & Business Use of Home
It was instilled into me long ago that a room completely set aside for business purposes still retained the Principle Private Residence Relief if personal possessions were kept in that room, eg. television, books, stamp collections etc.
On trawling through the HMRC Capital Gains Manual, I came across CG64663 - "Private residence relief: part of house used exclusively for business." Within that section is the following paragraph: "But occasional and very minor residential use should be disregarded. For example, if a doctor keeps private possessions in a room used as her surgery the surgery should still be regarded as exclusively in business use."
Would actually watching the TV or reading books be deemed to be "occasional and very minor residential use"?
I have a client who works from home and about 2/3 (two-thirds) of the rooms in the house are used for business in one form or another, whether it be for meeting and greeting customers (yes, there is appropriate insurance in place), storing documents and office equipment or physical working areas. The client claims the usual expenses involved in working from home duly restricted by 1/3 (one-third) private use.
Since each room contains personal possessions, to my way of thinking this means that 100% PPR should be available. Now I am not so sure.
I should be interested to know if anyone has encountered application of this section and the outcome or indeed has any practical suggestions so as to ensure that the PPR is retained in its entirety.
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 246 4
- Agent for mobile DJs. Could the DJs be considered to be working for him? 110 1
- UK Subsidiary of Foreign Company 91 1
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 1,020 31
- Drop Down Boxes 239 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,643 504
- Any other payroll providers transferring from Sage to Moneysoft? 161 1
- Does anyone use quotation software? 593 8
- help needed with rti paye please 168 3
- Cash injection by shareholder 863 9
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 422 11
- Can't read my handwriting 819 19
- Undeclared rental income 426 7
- Home Use Costs in Company Accounts ? 351 7
- Sick pay 262 6
- Directors self assessment 184 2
- Employer's Helpline 226 1
- Employment Allowance Incorrectly Claimed for Domestic Payroll 145 2
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 202 1
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,776 70
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,417
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 545
- National Insurance 442
- Non Resident 331
- Hands on experience of Digita 263
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 261
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 172
- Umbrella pay services 147
- VAT on ESS via Apple, Google, Nokia - 131
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 124