CGT & Business Use of Home
It was instilled into me long ago that a room completely set aside for business purposes still retained the Principle Private Residence Relief if personal possessions were kept in that room, eg. television, books, stamp collections etc.
On trawling through the HMRC Capital Gains Manual, I came across CG64663 - "Private residence relief: part of house used exclusively for business." Within that section is the following paragraph: "But occasional and very minor residential use should be disregarded. For example, if a doctor keeps private possessions in a room used as her surgery the surgery should still be regarded as exclusively in business use."
Would actually watching the TV or reading books be deemed to be "occasional and very minor residential use"?
I have a client who works from home and about 2/3 (two-thirds) of the rooms in the house are used for business in one form or another, whether it be for meeting and greeting customers (yes, there is appropriate insurance in place), storing documents and office equipment or physical working areas. The client claims the usual expenses involved in working from home duly restricted by 1/3 (one-third) private use.
Since each room contains personal possessions, to my way of thinking this means that 100% PPR should be available. Now I am not so sure.
I should be interested to know if anyone has encountered application of this section and the outcome or indeed has any practical suggestions so as to ensure that the PPR is retained in its entirety.
- Late leaver notification 307 6
- How to handle accidental overpayment into SIPP 100 1
- CGT on transfer of shares to Holding company 74 2
- How does one compete? 364 7
- Ouch. Those penalties sting 862 15
- Self explanatory? I hope so! 131 1
- Should small companies be audited? 1,075 44
- semi retirement 247 4
- ATT Exam Question 226 6
- FPS responses ... 152 4
- shareholder remuneration 244 9
- Help with small charity CT600 please!! 314 3
- Where has Portia gone? 9,070 144
- proposed dividends 330 16
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 1,481 28
- Dividend and pension with no salary 433 4
- NICs and director salary if receiving pension 112 1
- Vat on solicitors charges 339 7
- What does PITA mean? 718 17
- VATable supplies 148 3
- Sanzar 472
- Digital marketing focus group 389
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 363
- Continuity Agreement 308
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 298
- Sainsbury's mangement 296
- Avanti Accounts 291
- Buyback 276
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 219
- Iris and Miicrosoft 365 191