CGT & Business Use of Home
It was instilled into me long ago that a room completely set aside for business purposes still retained the Principle Private Residence Relief if personal possessions were kept in that room, eg. television, books, stamp collections etc.
On trawling through the HMRC Capital Gains Manual, I came across CG64663 - "Private residence relief: part of house used exclusively for business." Within that section is the following paragraph: "But occasional and very minor residential use should be disregarded. For example, if a doctor keeps private possessions in a room used as her surgery the surgery should still be regarded as exclusively in business use."
Would actually watching the TV or reading books be deemed to be "occasional and very minor residential use"?
I have a client who works from home and about 2/3 (two-thirds) of the rooms in the house are used for business in one form or another, whether it be for meeting and greeting customers (yes, there is appropriate insurance in place), storing documents and office equipment or physical working areas. The client claims the usual expenses involved in working from home duly restricted by 1/3 (one-third) private use.
Since each room contains personal possessions, to my way of thinking this means that 100% PPR should be available. Now I am not so sure.
I should be interested to know if anyone has encountered application of this section and the outcome or indeed has any practical suggestions so as to ensure that the PPR is retained in its entirety.
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,478 41
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 141 3
- Directors Remunerations and Employees on CT600 91 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 263 1
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 234 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,233 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 365 6
- Go Cardless 383 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 328 3
- Mehjoo 334 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 150 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 408 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 199 4
- SA302 346 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 296 13
- Bringing money to Uk 300 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 219 4
- Hmrc software 262 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 198 1
- Hosted email exchange 193 5
- Xtuple 522
- Qtac payroll for bureau 357
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 301
- Industrial & Provident Societies 294
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 238
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 216
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 211
- Domain name sale and limited company 182
- CIS schemes 179
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 155