CGT & Business Use of Home
It was instilled into me long ago that a room completely set aside for business purposes still retained the Principle Private Residence Relief if personal possessions were kept in that room, eg. television, books, stamp collections etc.
On trawling through the HMRC Capital Gains Manual, I came across CG64663 - "Private residence relief: part of house used exclusively for business." Within that section is the following paragraph: "But occasional and very minor residential use should be disregarded. For example, if a doctor keeps private possessions in a room used as her surgery the surgery should still be regarded as exclusively in business use."
Would actually watching the TV or reading books be deemed to be "occasional and very minor residential use"?
I have a client who works from home and about 2/3 (two-thirds) of the rooms in the house are used for business in one form or another, whether it be for meeting and greeting customers (yes, there is appropriate insurance in place), storing documents and office equipment or physical working areas. The client claims the usual expenses involved in working from home duly restricted by 1/3 (one-third) private use.
Since each room contains personal possessions, to my way of thinking this means that 100% PPR should be available. Now I am not so sure.
I should be interested to know if anyone has encountered application of this section and the outcome or indeed has any practical suggestions so as to ensure that the PPR is retained in its entirety.
- Real names 1,100 34
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 482 23
- What are the tax implications of employer paying my tuition fees? 93 1
- Company Secretarial Software 1,363 30
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 652 9
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 225 7
- Tools for conversion OST to PST files 66 1
- FRS to standard - check my understanding 123 2
- Tick & Bash Bristol 277 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,571 19
- sole trader employing his girlfriend 1,957 17
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 1,940 11
- Can Sage 50 Forecasting work with Excel 2013 or Office 365 76 1
- What do "Former Contracted Out" rebates mean 115 1
- Downloads EU VAT from 1/1/15 162 4
- Are pre trading lossess able to be off set if the company does not trade? 106 2
- Accounting for VAT on an EU Acquisition 88 1
- Tax position re this lease? 163 2
- VAT on Training Courses 141 2
- No VAT apportionment on tools on hand at registration? 141 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 578
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 451
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 351
- IFA incorporation 335
- Sorry ignore me 316
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 274
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 267
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 258
- Cancelled 200
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 170