CGT & Business Use of Home
It was instilled into me long ago that a room completely set aside for business purposes still retained the Principle Private Residence Relief if personal possessions were kept in that room, eg. television, books, stamp collections etc.
On trawling through the HMRC Capital Gains Manual, I came across CG64663 - "Private residence relief: part of house used exclusively for business." Within that section is the following paragraph: "But occasional and very minor residential use should be disregarded. For example, if a doctor keeps private possessions in a room used as her surgery the surgery should still be regarded as exclusively in business use."
Would actually watching the TV or reading books be deemed to be "occasional and very minor residential use"?
I have a client who works from home and about 2/3 (two-thirds) of the rooms in the house are used for business in one form or another, whether it be for meeting and greeting customers (yes, there is appropriate insurance in place), storing documents and office equipment or physical working areas. The client claims the usual expenses involved in working from home duly restricted by 1/3 (one-third) private use.
Since each room contains personal possessions, to my way of thinking this means that 100% PPR should be available. Now I am not so sure.
I should be interested to know if anyone has encountered application of this section and the outcome or indeed has any practical suggestions so as to ensure that the PPR is retained in its entirety.
- How much to charge for payroll? 712 16
- When do we qualify for state pension? 125 2
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 107 4
- BTC vs Digita 966 29
- Seeking a tax case 230 8
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 264 4
- See you all on the other side 209 5
- VATABLE Income 263 3
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 193 2
- Different Filing Dates - Help! 258 7
- What are we calling cloud now? 396 6
- P11D software 86 1
- Write off of loans FROM participators 443 9
- VAT - business splitting 231 3
- Income tax or Capital gains tax? 583 16
- RTI - how to correct HMRC's error 408 7
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 951 16
- Jersey - VAT 119 2
- how to file Late annual Accounts for dormant company ? 297 5
- Flat rate Vat Scheme for a Welder 222 2
- HMRC Joint Filing 520
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 391
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 350
- IRIS and FRS 102 323
- USA help 279
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 243
- Capital gains on rental property 223
- Sage Coretime 212
- Capitalising Finance Lease 209
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 197