CGT & Business Use of Home
It was instilled into me long ago that a room completely set aside for business purposes still retained the Principle Private Residence Relief if personal possessions were kept in that room, eg. television, books, stamp collections etc.
On trawling through the HMRC Capital Gains Manual, I came across CG64663 - "Private residence relief: part of house used exclusively for business." Within that section is the following paragraph: "But occasional and very minor residential use should be disregarded. For example, if a doctor keeps private possessions in a room used as her surgery the surgery should still be regarded as exclusively in business use."
Would actually watching the TV or reading books be deemed to be "occasional and very minor residential use"?
I have a client who works from home and about 2/3 (two-thirds) of the rooms in the house are used for business in one form or another, whether it be for meeting and greeting customers (yes, there is appropriate insurance in place), storing documents and office equipment or physical working areas. The client claims the usual expenses involved in working from home duly restricted by 1/3 (one-third) private use.
Since each room contains personal possessions, to my way of thinking this means that 100% PPR should be available. Now I am not so sure.
I should be interested to know if anyone has encountered application of this section and the outcome or indeed has any practical suggestions so as to ensure that the PPR is retained in its entirety.
- Accounts Software 171 6
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 2,357 22
- Accountancy Career 334 4
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,702 39
- Holiday Pay whilst on Mat Leave 100 1
- HMRC Agents Line 220 4
- calculation DTR restriction 94 1
- Company Director In Prison 465 11
- SMP reclaimable by employer 90 1
- AWeb - download file 184 3
- Charity work 251 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 271 6
- Director Drawings 191 5
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 278 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 241 7
- Collection or business assets 117 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 277 8
- Tax position re this lease? 372 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 734 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 109 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 684
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 522
- Cancelled 428
- Cancelled 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 362
- Probiz 338
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 329
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 244
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 218
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 204