CGT & Business Use of Home
It was instilled into me long ago that a room completely set aside for business purposes still retained the Principle Private Residence Relief if personal possessions were kept in that room, eg. television, books, stamp collections etc.
On trawling through the HMRC Capital Gains Manual, I came across CG64663 - "Private residence relief: part of house used exclusively for business." Within that section is the following paragraph: "But occasional and very minor residential use should be disregarded. For example, if a doctor keeps private possessions in a room used as her surgery the surgery should still be regarded as exclusively in business use."
Would actually watching the TV or reading books be deemed to be "occasional and very minor residential use"?
I have a client who works from home and about 2/3 (two-thirds) of the rooms in the house are used for business in one form or another, whether it be for meeting and greeting customers (yes, there is appropriate insurance in place), storing documents and office equipment or physical working areas. The client claims the usual expenses involved in working from home duly restricted by 1/3 (one-third) private use.
Since each room contains personal possessions, to my way of thinking this means that 100% PPR should be available. Now I am not so sure.
I should be interested to know if anyone has encountered application of this section and the outcome or indeed has any practical suggestions so as to ensure that the PPR is retained in its entirety.
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 338 8
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 554 17
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 3,355 22
- Wear and tear allowance 1,156 11
- Was there ever a time limit for claiming taper relief? 123 2
- CIC Dividend Cap 236 7
- IHT dilemma 653 13
- New business - journal entries 475 23
- Incorporating Sole Trade and bringing in spouse 237 1
- NEGLIGIBLE VALUE CLAIMS 95 1
- Excel question - how can I easily link to a row of data with gaps between the cells? 753 25
- Director's loan account in credit 353 3
- Contract worker paying Employers NI 165 3
- Bloomsbury Professional tax books 265 5
- CT/CIS offset 244 3
- accounting for this transaction 280 1
- Why should I retain membership? 3,027 49
- Pension contributions and unused allowances 303 3
- Solar panels - VAT and Capital allowances 134 1
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 414 14
- Auto enrolment excuses 933
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 734
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 420
- Excuses, excuses!!! 236
- Social investment tax relief 228
- Digita Hosted Software 227
- Call Centre Data Costs 213
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 202
- Travel costs and contractors 190
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 187