CGT & Business Use of Home
It was instilled into me long ago that a room completely set aside for business purposes still retained the Principle Private Residence Relief if personal possessions were kept in that room, eg. television, books, stamp collections etc.
On trawling through the HMRC Capital Gains Manual, I came across CG64663 - "Private residence relief: part of house used exclusively for business." Within that section is the following paragraph: "But occasional and very minor residential use should be disregarded. For example, if a doctor keeps private possessions in a room used as her surgery the surgery should still be regarded as exclusively in business use."
Would actually watching the TV or reading books be deemed to be "occasional and very minor residential use"?
I have a client who works from home and about 2/3 (two-thirds) of the rooms in the house are used for business in one form or another, whether it be for meeting and greeting customers (yes, there is appropriate insurance in place), storing documents and office equipment or physical working areas. The client claims the usual expenses involved in working from home duly restricted by 1/3 (one-third) private use.
Since each room contains personal possessions, to my way of thinking this means that 100% PPR should be available. Now I am not so sure.
I should be interested to know if anyone has encountered application of this section and the outcome or indeed has any practical suggestions so as to ensure that the PPR is retained in its entirety.
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 264 4
- Corrupt excel .XLSX file 43 1
- incorrect old p60 479 13
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,153 31
- What VAT to reclaim on van purchased on HP? 293 5
- Professional coaching claimable? 177 2
- Turnover on a tax return 372 9
- IT Contractor 253 1
- Sage instant account codes 141 1
- Networking 193 1
- Mobile phones, directors of micro-companies 231 1
- Cashflow forecasting software 313 4
- Letter to HMRC over 3 months ago, still no reply 1,942 19
- Companies House paper incorporation - date of birth omission 313 4
- VAT refund 208 1
- Is there an AIA calculator anywhere 281 1
- Reclaiming VAT on refurbishment cost? 276 3
- Missing tax return 403 4
- Inflation and fees 1,422 24
- Sage Priority Support 197 3