CGT & Business Use of Home
It was instilled into me long ago that a room completely set aside for business purposes still retained the Principle Private Residence Relief if personal possessions were kept in that room, eg. television, books, stamp collections etc.
On trawling through the HMRC Capital Gains Manual, I came across CG64663 - "Private residence relief: part of house used exclusively for business." Within that section is the following paragraph: "But occasional and very minor residential use should be disregarded. For example, if a doctor keeps private possessions in a room used as her surgery the surgery should still be regarded as exclusively in business use."
Would actually watching the TV or reading books be deemed to be "occasional and very minor residential use"?
I have a client who works from home and about 2/3 (two-thirds) of the rooms in the house are used for business in one form or another, whether it be for meeting and greeting customers (yes, there is appropriate insurance in place), storing documents and office equipment or physical working areas. The client claims the usual expenses involved in working from home duly restricted by 1/3 (one-third) private use.
Since each room contains personal possessions, to my way of thinking this means that 100% PPR should be available. Now I am not so sure.
I should be interested to know if anyone has encountered application of this section and the outcome or indeed has any practical suggestions so as to ensure that the PPR is retained in its entirety.
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 360 3
- Invoice factoring 118 5
- Career slump - advice and/or sympathy much appreciated 214 5
- old client has come out of the woodwork 97 1
- paye scheme very used 190 3
- Operating lease 80 4
- Gifting shares 82 1
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 235 4
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 483 8
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 818 25
- Disclosure query 131 3
- Auto enrolment 286 4
- Reverse charge - do you always book it? 256 6
- LLP Accounts format 91 1
- Scoot 314 6
- A question about share structure 81 1
- Corporation tax due date confusion 206 3
- Top slicing relief question 170 2
- Share swap 193 3
- Tax on sale of shares 175 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,466
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 786
- Any views 714
- HMRC Employers Diary 533
- International interest certificate 431
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 399
- Sale of business 360
- NOVA 268
- Advertising services? 264
- IRIS Open Books problem 260