CGT & Business Use of Home
It was instilled into me long ago that a room completely set aside for business purposes still retained the Principle Private Residence Relief if personal possessions were kept in that room, eg. television, books, stamp collections etc.
On trawling through the HMRC Capital Gains Manual, I came across CG64663 - "Private residence relief: part of house used exclusively for business." Within that section is the following paragraph: "But occasional and very minor residential use should be disregarded. For example, if a doctor keeps private possessions in a room used as her surgery the surgery should still be regarded as exclusively in business use."
Would actually watching the TV or reading books be deemed to be "occasional and very minor residential use"?
I have a client who works from home and about 2/3 (two-thirds) of the rooms in the house are used for business in one form or another, whether it be for meeting and greeting customers (yes, there is appropriate insurance in place), storing documents and office equipment or physical working areas. The client claims the usual expenses involved in working from home duly restricted by 1/3 (one-third) private use.
Since each room contains personal possessions, to my way of thinking this means that 100% PPR should be available. Now I am not so sure.
I should be interested to know if anyone has encountered application of this section and the outcome or indeed has any practical suggestions so as to ensure that the PPR is retained in its entirety.
- Freelance/Employee 94 4
- Moneysoft - technical query 537 17
- Profit split from an investment property 225 7
- VAT - How hard is it? 796 29
- The importance of Grammar 1,406 44
- VAT & Offshore Companies 258 7
- VAT and customer entertaining 259 4
- tax saving on card points 279 7
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 296 6
- Hold on a minute (pun intended) 1,318 11
- Xero Pain Points 571 18
- supply teachers working through Ltd co 194 2
- Best way to draw a salary? 724 12
- PI cover 256 4
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 978 15
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,484 39
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 223 1
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 282 6
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 274 9
- Scissors 917 24
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 376
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 333
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 314
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 301
- Electric Car 252
- S222 Charge 220
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 216
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 202
- Company Structure 197
- Does anyone know the name and postal address of HMRC's Data controller? 187