CGT & Business Use of Home
It was instilled into me long ago that a room completely set aside for business purposes still retained the Principle Private Residence Relief if personal possessions were kept in that room, eg. television, books, stamp collections etc.
On trawling through the HMRC Capital Gains Manual, I came across CG64663 - "Private residence relief: part of house used exclusively for business." Within that section is the following paragraph: "But occasional and very minor residential use should be disregarded. For example, if a doctor keeps private possessions in a room used as her surgery the surgery should still be regarded as exclusively in business use."
Would actually watching the TV or reading books be deemed to be "occasional and very minor residential use"?
I have a client who works from home and about 2/3 (two-thirds) of the rooms in the house are used for business in one form or another, whether it be for meeting and greeting customers (yes, there is appropriate insurance in place), storing documents and office equipment or physical working areas. The client claims the usual expenses involved in working from home duly restricted by 1/3 (one-third) private use.
Since each room contains personal possessions, to my way of thinking this means that 100% PPR should be available. Now I am not so sure.
I should be interested to know if anyone has encountered application of this section and the outcome or indeed has any practical suggestions so as to ensure that the PPR is retained in its entirety.
- do i pay vat when buying a business 21 2
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 563 9
- Loss Relief 108 2
- Tax case reference request 191 3
- are receipts needed? 283 9
- How to? 119 1
- Cheque alternative - letter to HMRC re undeclared income 137 1
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 574 19
- New accountant 356 6
- Working out a daily rate 253 6
- Santander Scrip Dividend Scheme 164 2
- Amending prior year accounts for the first time? 1,400 25
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 486 6
- Sage Instant cash based flat rate 112 2
- Loan notes payment of principal and interest 105 2
- HMRC VAT misstatement disclosure 212 2
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 221 5
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 472 27
- Sage 50 208 2
- sole trader - operating under cis 244 7
- Skandia using wrong address 1,586
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 882
- International interest certificate 492
- NOVA 346
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 269
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 253
- Management expenses for investment company 241
- Bonus Bonds 237
- Help with tax codes on Sage 184
- Capital reduction 171