CGT & Business Use of Home
It was instilled into me long ago that a room completely set aside for business purposes still retained the Principle Private Residence Relief if personal possessions were kept in that room, eg. television, books, stamp collections etc.
On trawling through the HMRC Capital Gains Manual, I came across CG64663 - "Private residence relief: part of house used exclusively for business." Within that section is the following paragraph: "But occasional and very minor residential use should be disregarded. For example, if a doctor keeps private possessions in a room used as her surgery the surgery should still be regarded as exclusively in business use."
Would actually watching the TV or reading books be deemed to be "occasional and very minor residential use"?
I have a client who works from home and about 2/3 (two-thirds) of the rooms in the house are used for business in one form or another, whether it be for meeting and greeting customers (yes, there is appropriate insurance in place), storing documents and office equipment or physical working areas. The client claims the usual expenses involved in working from home duly restricted by 1/3 (one-third) private use.
Since each room contains personal possessions, to my way of thinking this means that 100% PPR should be available. Now I am not so sure.
I should be interested to know if anyone has encountered application of this section and the outcome or indeed has any practical suggestions so as to ensure that the PPR is retained in its entirety.
- Anyone having problems with IRIS OpenSpace? 28 3
- Sale of an investment between group companies 65 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 352 11
- Your fondest calculator memories 167 7
- Joint filing delays 14 1
- Can't understand my own electricity / gas bills 171 5
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 1,258 18
- RTI - EPS - ??? 225 3
- Sub-contractor provided with a vehicle 150 5
- Partner with an IVA 48 3
- Can Directors be removed without consequence? 217 4
- Growing pains 314 6
- Owner/Director consultant plus employment elsewhere 177 6
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 134 7
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 505 13
- Breach of employment contract 152 3
- Benefit of my ACCA membership to my Non Qualified Employer 405 7
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 776 31
- Offset Self-Employed Losses against PAYE 105 3
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 841 13
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 440
- CTA study material 401
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 296
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 270
- Pre incorp expenses 259
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 233
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 225
- Slight twist on employment related securities 202
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 169
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 163