CGT & Business Use of Home
It was instilled into me long ago that a room completely set aside for business purposes still retained the Principle Private Residence Relief if personal possessions were kept in that room, eg. television, books, stamp collections etc.
On trawling through the HMRC Capital Gains Manual, I came across CG64663 - "Private residence relief: part of house used exclusively for business." Within that section is the following paragraph: "But occasional and very minor residential use should be disregarded. For example, if a doctor keeps private possessions in a room used as her surgery the surgery should still be regarded as exclusively in business use."
Would actually watching the TV or reading books be deemed to be "occasional and very minor residential use"?
I have a client who works from home and about 2/3 (two-thirds) of the rooms in the house are used for business in one form or another, whether it be for meeting and greeting customers (yes, there is appropriate insurance in place), storing documents and office equipment or physical working areas. The client claims the usual expenses involved in working from home duly restricted by 1/3 (one-third) private use.
Since each room contains personal possessions, to my way of thinking this means that 100% PPR should be available. Now I am not so sure.
I should be interested to know if anyone has encountered application of this section and the outcome or indeed has any practical suggestions so as to ensure that the PPR is retained in its entirety.
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 200 5
- are receipts needed? 194 7
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 452 27
- Loan notes payment of principal and interest 13 1
- Sage 50 174 2
- New accountant 171 5
- Sage Instant cash based flat rate 43 1
- sole trader - operating under cis 216 7
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,932 65
- Tax case refeence request 92 1
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 779 28
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 220 4
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,901 29
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 240 5
- Working out a daily rate 155 5
- Auto enrolment 1,237 13
- Payroll dates 133 5
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 282 8
- Withholding of tax 102 1
- missing 956 20
- Skandia using wrong address 1,575
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 872
- International interest certificate 481
- NOVA 338
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 258
- Management expenses for investment company 230
- Bonus Bonds 228
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 223
- Help with tax codes on Sage 172
- Capital reduction 163