CGT & Business Use of Home
It was instilled into me long ago that a room completely set aside for business purposes still retained the Principle Private Residence Relief if personal possessions were kept in that room, eg. television, books, stamp collections etc.
On trawling through the HMRC Capital Gains Manual, I came across CG64663 - "Private residence relief: part of house used exclusively for business." Within that section is the following paragraph: "But occasional and very minor residential use should be disregarded. For example, if a doctor keeps private possessions in a room used as her surgery the surgery should still be regarded as exclusively in business use."
Would actually watching the TV or reading books be deemed to be "occasional and very minor residential use"?
I have a client who works from home and about 2/3 (two-thirds) of the rooms in the house are used for business in one form or another, whether it be for meeting and greeting customers (yes, there is appropriate insurance in place), storing documents and office equipment or physical working areas. The client claims the usual expenses involved in working from home duly restricted by 1/3 (one-third) private use.
Since each room contains personal possessions, to my way of thinking this means that 100% PPR should be available. Now I am not so sure.
I should be interested to know if anyone has encountered application of this section and the outcome or indeed has any practical suggestions so as to ensure that the PPR is retained in its entirety.
- Flat rate vat 272 3
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 220 6
- Rental property company 162 2
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 148 2
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 396 12
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 419 9
- Starting up in practice - safety net 319 8
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,461 27
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,179 35
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 382 11
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 283 4
- Payroo Employer allowance query 277 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 397 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 195 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 214 2
- Comapny valuation qualifications 159 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 536 5
- Director's tax return 418 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 199 3
- Coming in from the cold 421 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 831
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 575
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 446
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 323
- Free Tax Legislation? 297
- Director Loan account operation 282
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 269
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 262
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 241
- Paye procedures for CVA 183