Charge rates for Human Rights tax work
For the past nearly seven years I have been pursuing a case on behalf of one of my clients for Widowers Bereavement Allowance. In November 2006 the court ruled in the lead case that the Government had indeed discriminated against widowers. However, in a (very bizarre) ruling they decided that no compensation would be due to any widowers, but that "reasonable" advocacy costs would be payable by the UK Government.
The Foreign Office won't reach a "friendly settlement" with me, or rather they will, but are only offering 400€. This is felt by myself to be derisory, as I am claiming my costs based upon a charge rate of £130 per hour, which I perceive as being reasonable.
However, in a letter today via the ECHR, the Foreign Office argue that "the accountants claim a fee rate of £130 per hour. This is clearly excessive for an accountancy firm based in Cornwall, and would even be thought a lot for an experienced barrister based in Central London".
I think this is complete balony, but in order to be sure of my facts, before I get back to the Court, I wonder if other accountants around the country would just let me know what their rates for similar work would be, as I want to present my argument based upon facts and not speculation.
Many thanks in advance to all who respond.
- Daily Penalties 2012/13 176 2
- Share swap 71 1
- HMRC Enquiry 442 2
- Cashback 303 2
- Builder Gifted Deposit and capital gains 594 24
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 933 13
- another ir35!!!! 174 2
- Subscriptions not on HMRC list of approved bodies 235 1
- Settlement, or any other issues? 75 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 89 3
- Buying blocks of fees 360 2
- Practical Query: Entrepreneurs and PPR Reliefs 270 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 169 2
- IR35 & Managed Service Companies 259 1
- Previous accountant filed dormant accounts in error 169 1
- Wear and tear allowance 327 4
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 671 24
- Husband and Wife Holiday letting profit split 147 3
- tax insider 393 5
- Tax on sale of shares 107 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,424
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 735
- Any views 671
- HMRC Employers Diary 501
- International interest certificate 414
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 376
- Sale of business 325
- NOVA 237
- Advertising services? 226
- IRIS Open Books problem 219