Charge rates for Human Rights tax work
For the past nearly seven years I have been pursuing a case on behalf of one of my clients for Widowers Bereavement Allowance. In November 2006 the court ruled in the lead case that the Government had indeed discriminated against widowers. However, in a (very bizarre) ruling they decided that no compensation would be due to any widowers, but that "reasonable" advocacy costs would be payable by the UK Government.
The Foreign Office won't reach a "friendly settlement" with me, or rather they will, but are only offering 400€. This is felt by myself to be derisory, as I am claiming my costs based upon a charge rate of £130 per hour, which I perceive as being reasonable.
However, in a letter today via the ECHR, the Foreign Office argue that "the accountants claim a fee rate of £130 per hour. This is clearly excessive for an accountancy firm based in Cornwall, and would even be thought a lot for an experienced barrister based in Central London".
I think this is complete balony, but in order to be sure of my facts, before I get back to the Court, I wonder if other accountants around the country would just let me know what their rates for similar work would be, as I want to present my argument based upon facts and not speculation.
Many thanks in advance to all who respond.
- Spousal transfer and PPR 622 25
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 526 16
- recompense capital input 120 5
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 59 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 706 19
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 86 1
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 409 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,204 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 111 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 178 3
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 207 7
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 216 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 976 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 183 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 244 5
- Merging my businesses 223 3
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 483 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 374 9
- Sage Vat return box 2 334 1
- Holiday entitlement 592 11
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 794
- RTI - duplicate employee record 561
- Pensions Regulator 451
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 412
- Portia ... Where art thou 323
- Sanzar 315
- How do you do it 300
- Digital marketing focus group 298
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 273
- new investor structure 183