Charge rates for Human Rights tax work
For the past nearly seven years I have been pursuing a case on behalf of one of my clients for Widowers Bereavement Allowance. In November 2006 the court ruled in the lead case that the Government had indeed discriminated against widowers. However, in a (very bizarre) ruling they decided that no compensation would be due to any widowers, but that "reasonable" advocacy costs would be payable by the UK Government.
The Foreign Office won't reach a "friendly settlement" with me, or rather they will, but are only offering 400€. This is felt by myself to be derisory, as I am claiming my costs based upon a charge rate of £130 per hour, which I perceive as being reasonable.
However, in a letter today via the ECHR, the Foreign Office argue that "the accountants claim a fee rate of £130 per hour. This is clearly excessive for an accountancy firm based in Cornwall, and would even be thought a lot for an experienced barrister based in Central London".
I think this is complete balony, but in order to be sure of my facts, before I get back to the Court, I wonder if other accountants around the country would just let me know what their rates for similar work would be, as I want to present my argument based upon facts and not speculation.
Many thanks in advance to all who respond.
- Community awards 2014 - first category 123 5
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 46 1
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 425 12
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 140 2
- Can you help me spot errors? 292 3
- Payment plans for clients 262 3
- CT600 245 8
- format cell to exclude decimals 308 16
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 76 1
- Lease 129 4
- Free invoicing software 492 4
- Digita Hosted Software 394 4
- signature required 870 31
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,311 21
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 176 5
- Thin Client recomendation 224 3
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 189 5
- VAT Office Grimsby 171 2
- Stock Valuation when a partner dies 118 2
- Inheritance Tax and the 7 Year rule for property as a gift 133 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,302
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 850
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 542
- Credit where credit's due....... 334
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 260
- TheTax Donut 225
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 186
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 171
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 154
- Director's business mileage 145