Charge rates for Human Rights tax work
For the past nearly seven years I have been pursuing a case on behalf of one of my clients for Widowers Bereavement Allowance. In November 2006 the court ruled in the lead case that the Government had indeed discriminated against widowers. However, in a (very bizarre) ruling they decided that no compensation would be due to any widowers, but that "reasonable" advocacy costs would be payable by the UK Government.
The Foreign Office won't reach a "friendly settlement" with me, or rather they will, but are only offering 400€. This is felt by myself to be derisory, as I am claiming my costs based upon a charge rate of £130 per hour, which I perceive as being reasonable.
However, in a letter today via the ECHR, the Foreign Office argue that "the accountants claim a fee rate of £130 per hour. This is clearly excessive for an accountancy firm based in Cornwall, and would even be thought a lot for an experienced barrister based in Central London".
I think this is complete balony, but in order to be sure of my facts, before I get back to the Court, I wonder if other accountants around the country would just let me know what their rates for similar work would be, as I want to present my argument based upon facts and not speculation.
Many thanks in advance to all who respond.
- Small amount of untaxed royalties for someone outside SA 183 2
- VAT - Check on clients business 922 38
- GRNI - Normal Balance 127 4
- Auto Enrol with Salary exchange 84 1
- Compare 2 lists 1,732 32
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 196 4
- Voluntary dissolution of company 176 1
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,323 25
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 125 1
- Post AAT? 717 4
- Second Limited Company 153 2
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,689 38
- How to claim relief under a Double Taxation Agreement 297 6
- Tax implication on superannuation 185 3
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,576 25
- Entrepreneurs Relief, and then new company 270 3
- Portuguese Resident having a UK Limited Company 229 8
- Tax Fines - HMRC 826 13
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 520 10
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 304 8