Charge rates for Human Rights tax work
For the past nearly seven years I have been pursuing a case on behalf of one of my clients for Widowers Bereavement Allowance. In November 2006 the court ruled in the lead case that the Government had indeed discriminated against widowers. However, in a (very bizarre) ruling they decided that no compensation would be due to any widowers, but that "reasonable" advocacy costs would be payable by the UK Government.
The Foreign Office won't reach a "friendly settlement" with me, or rather they will, but are only offering 400€. This is felt by myself to be derisory, as I am claiming my costs based upon a charge rate of £130 per hour, which I perceive as being reasonable.
However, in a letter today via the ECHR, the Foreign Office argue that "the accountants claim a fee rate of £130 per hour. This is clearly excessive for an accountancy firm based in Cornwall, and would even be thought a lot for an experienced barrister based in Central London".
I think this is complete balony, but in order to be sure of my facts, before I get back to the Court, I wonder if other accountants around the country would just let me know what their rates for similar work would be, as I want to present my argument based upon facts and not speculation.
Many thanks in advance to all who respond.
- Gross Profit Percentage 233 5
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 144 1
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 221 9
- How to Value a Business 478 9
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 141 5
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 548 13
- How much did you pay for your website 487 13
- Companies House 153 2
- HMRC repayment issued, how long till it hits account? 117 1
- Sage Payroll & NIC 384 7
- Company Pension Contributions 264 6
- Expenses allowable 176 3
- Let Property Campaign 390 6
- Is there anything I should know about Northern Irish companies? 138 1
- Self employment trap - pension 349 3
- Awkward IP 616 9
- ESC A19 131 2
- When does my Property business start 272 4
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,541 43
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 871 19
- CTA study material 603
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 594
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 368
- Employment related securities question 227
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 200
- ATED Penalties 196
- AIM Stocks and IHT 178
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 137
- Expat pension contributions? 129
- Trust for Employee 126