Charge rates for Human Rights tax work
For the past nearly seven years I have been pursuing a case on behalf of one of my clients for Widowers Bereavement Allowance. In November 2006 the court ruled in the lead case that the Government had indeed discriminated against widowers. However, in a (very bizarre) ruling they decided that no compensation would be due to any widowers, but that "reasonable" advocacy costs would be payable by the UK Government.
The Foreign Office won't reach a "friendly settlement" with me, or rather they will, but are only offering 400€. This is felt by myself to be derisory, as I am claiming my costs based upon a charge rate of £130 per hour, which I perceive as being reasonable.
However, in a letter today via the ECHR, the Foreign Office argue that "the accountants claim a fee rate of £130 per hour. This is clearly excessive for an accountancy firm based in Cornwall, and would even be thought a lot for an experienced barrister based in Central London".
I think this is complete balony, but in order to be sure of my facts, before I get back to the Court, I wonder if other accountants around the country would just let me know what their rates for similar work would be, as I want to present my argument based upon facts and not speculation.
Many thanks in advance to all who respond.
- I have done a terrible thing 245 7
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 150 3
- AIA 185 16
- Company car but paying for insurance personally - reduces benefit in kind? 264 20
- HMRC property income enquiry 52 2
- partnership tax return 85 5
- Client has already received 13/14 tax refund 63 2
- How to deal with CGT relief on Directors Loan following company sale 40 2
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 271 6
- two business from one premises 40 1
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 1,136 27
- Anyone else still working this week? 162 4
- s455 tax 92 3
- Van Benefit in Kind Query 59 1
- LLp Profits 77 3
- Am I getting Soft?? 524 12
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 193 3
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,486 44
- Taxation of the sale Record rights 92 1
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 358 18
- Hive up 530
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 490
- corporate hierarchy 462
- Advice - 313
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 258
- WWOOFers 250
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 229
- The booking.com con 220
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 211
- Cocaine anyone? 199