Charge rates for Human Rights tax work
For the past nearly seven years I have been pursuing a case on behalf of one of my clients for Widowers Bereavement Allowance. In November 2006 the court ruled in the lead case that the Government had indeed discriminated against widowers. However, in a (very bizarre) ruling they decided that no compensation would be due to any widowers, but that "reasonable" advocacy costs would be payable by the UK Government.
The Foreign Office won't reach a "friendly settlement" with me, or rather they will, but are only offering 400€. This is felt by myself to be derisory, as I am claiming my costs based upon a charge rate of £130 per hour, which I perceive as being reasonable.
However, in a letter today via the ECHR, the Foreign Office argue that "the accountants claim a fee rate of £130 per hour. This is clearly excessive for an accountancy firm based in Cornwall, and would even be thought a lot for an experienced barrister based in Central London".
I think this is complete balony, but in order to be sure of my facts, before I get back to the Court, I wonder if other accountants around the country would just let me know what their rates for similar work would be, as I want to present my argument based upon facts and not speculation.
Many thanks in advance to all who respond.
- Credit card receipts vs VAT receipts 2,089 28
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 140 5
- SA Agent's Priority Line 45 2
- Company Director In Prison 248 6
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 751 23
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 637 13
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 133 7
- Managing Employee Expenses 134 5
- Charity work 132 6
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 274 3
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 663 21
- MAAT vs ACCA 356 6
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,544 70
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,539 55
- VAT registration? 142 1
- ec sales lists 155 1
- VAT registration to supply services in EU 137 1
- Vat Retrospective Reclaim 149 1
- donations to school via self employed business (registered charity) 119 4
- Small company audit 762 12
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 662
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 480
- Cancelled 418
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 358
- Cancelled 358
- Probiz 328
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 315
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 240
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 212
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 183