Charge rates for Human Rights tax work
For the past nearly seven years I have been pursuing a case on behalf of one of my clients for Widowers Bereavement Allowance. In November 2006 the court ruled in the lead case that the Government had indeed discriminated against widowers. However, in a (very bizarre) ruling they decided that no compensation would be due to any widowers, but that "reasonable" advocacy costs would be payable by the UK Government.
The Foreign Office won't reach a "friendly settlement" with me, or rather they will, but are only offering 400€. This is felt by myself to be derisory, as I am claiming my costs based upon a charge rate of £130 per hour, which I perceive as being reasonable.
However, in a letter today via the ECHR, the Foreign Office argue that "the accountants claim a fee rate of £130 per hour. This is clearly excessive for an accountancy firm based in Cornwall, and would even be thought a lot for an experienced barrister based in Central London".
I think this is complete balony, but in order to be sure of my facts, before I get back to the Court, I wonder if other accountants around the country would just let me know what their rates for similar work would be, as I want to present my argument based upon facts and not speculation.
Many thanks in advance to all who respond.
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 41 1
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 398 16
- Company separation for Wholesale & Retail businesses 24 1
- Selling a VAT Qualifying vehicle at a loss 22 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 463 15
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 126 5
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 728 11
- Sports Sponsorship 71 1
- New Shareholder and Purchase of Own Share 207 17
- Opt To Tax Refund 202 2
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 143 6
- Is the CT61 return dead? 1,280 14
- Best software for small practice? 574 19
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 1,247 21
- HMRC Enquiry 456 2
- Car purchase Lease or Buy 180 7
- Notifying HMRC when striking off company that never traded 284 4
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,446 16
- Long/Short Period of Account 182 3
- Another HMRC Cock Up 778 7
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 763
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 452
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 271
- DTA tie-breaker issue 261
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 244
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 222
- CGT for NOn UK residents 216
- Apprenticeship Levy 195
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 190
- Capital Gains personal representatives 181