Charge rates for Human Rights tax work
For the past nearly seven years I have been pursuing a case on behalf of one of my clients for Widowers Bereavement Allowance. In November 2006 the court ruled in the lead case that the Government had indeed discriminated against widowers. However, in a (very bizarre) ruling they decided that no compensation would be due to any widowers, but that "reasonable" advocacy costs would be payable by the UK Government.
The Foreign Office won't reach a "friendly settlement" with me, or rather they will, but are only offering 400€. This is felt by myself to be derisory, as I am claiming my costs based upon a charge rate of £130 per hour, which I perceive as being reasonable.
However, in a letter today via the ECHR, the Foreign Office argue that "the accountants claim a fee rate of £130 per hour. This is clearly excessive for an accountancy firm based in Cornwall, and would even be thought a lot for an experienced barrister based in Central London".
I think this is complete balony, but in order to be sure of my facts, before I get back to the Court, I wonder if other accountants around the country would just let me know what their rates for similar work would be, as I want to present my argument based upon facts and not speculation.
Many thanks in advance to all who respond.
- Expense management software 654 13
- Is this acceptable advice for limited co 1,002 28
- Cater Allen Commission 24 1
- Unregistered tax driver 190 5
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 746 30
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 573 16
- S455 430 20
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 89 2
- EIS Relief 143 1
- Splitting rental income on jointly owned property 150 1
- Gift or Capital Gain? 162 4
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 64 1
- Is practising Certificate needed 198 6
- online book keeping systems - what happens after you stop paying? 408 8
- Which PayPal transactions can I ignore? 241 3
- Is this a scam? 1,408 25
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 225 5
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 160 4
- Wednesday rant 333 1
- RTI - new employee 82 1
- Benchmarking 462
- Possible Partnership? 408
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 398
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 380
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 319
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 191
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 172
- Income tax on foreign dividends 166
- Agent Registration - How Long? 165
- Clubs and Taxable Income 163