Charge rates for Human Rights tax work
For the past nearly seven years I have been pursuing a case on behalf of one of my clients for Widowers Bereavement Allowance. In November 2006 the court ruled in the lead case that the Government had indeed discriminated against widowers. However, in a (very bizarre) ruling they decided that no compensation would be due to any widowers, but that "reasonable" advocacy costs would be payable by the UK Government.
The Foreign Office won't reach a "friendly settlement" with me, or rather they will, but are only offering 400€. This is felt by myself to be derisory, as I am claiming my costs based upon a charge rate of £130 per hour, which I perceive as being reasonable.
However, in a letter today via the ECHR, the Foreign Office argue that "the accountants claim a fee rate of £130 per hour. This is clearly excessive for an accountancy firm based in Cornwall, and would even be thought a lot for an experienced barrister based in Central London".
I think this is complete balony, but in order to be sure of my facts, before I get back to the Court, I wonder if other accountants around the country would just let me know what their rates for similar work would be, as I want to present my argument based upon facts and not speculation.
Many thanks in advance to all who respond.
- Bank account frozen 162 4
- Can employer reduce my ACCA tuition fees? 41 1
- Comment Deletion 61 1
- change director details just before striking-off 122 2
- Concurrent users 761 10
- owner paying for purchases and other expenses from personal account 193 4
- Where to enter asset disposal proceeds on CT600 96 1
- Charity Account-independent examiner 199 3
- VAT on Second Hand Touring Caravans 221 7
- Set-off interest received against interest paid? 105 1
- VAT and selling on Amazon 98 1
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 879 26
- Writing Website Content 682 23
- Share valuation upon death of shareholder 127 2
- Pension contributions and childcare vouchers 182 4
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 252 2
- Badges of trade 358 6
- Can HMRC charge penalties now for a tax return due for 2005? 294 4
- CT61 Interest - Is it voluntary? 150 2
- AIA 356 5
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 452
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 422
- Electric Car 357
- S222 Charge 284
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 263
- IP trans to holding company 219
- Payroll Manager - tax code for starter declaration 'C' 205
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 195
- Career advice needed regarding accouting systems analysis 166
- Simple Partnership Agreement Template 164