Charge rates for Human Rights tax work
For the past nearly seven years I have been pursuing a case on behalf of one of my clients for Widowers Bereavement Allowance. In November 2006 the court ruled in the lead case that the Government had indeed discriminated against widowers. However, in a (very bizarre) ruling they decided that no compensation would be due to any widowers, but that "reasonable" advocacy costs would be payable by the UK Government.
The Foreign Office won't reach a "friendly settlement" with me, or rather they will, but are only offering 400€. This is felt by myself to be derisory, as I am claiming my costs based upon a charge rate of £130 per hour, which I perceive as being reasonable.
However, in a letter today via the ECHR, the Foreign Office argue that "the accountants claim a fee rate of £130 per hour. This is clearly excessive for an accountancy firm based in Cornwall, and would even be thought a lot for an experienced barrister based in Central London".
I think this is complete balony, but in order to be sure of my facts, before I get back to the Court, I wonder if other accountants around the country would just let me know what their rates for similar work would be, as I want to present my argument based upon facts and not speculation.
Many thanks in advance to all who respond.
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,461 29
- Renting property to yourself 146 3
- Which software for practice books? 247 4
- Pension contributions > £50k BRB effect 23 1
- Tax residence 57 1
- Capital gain or not? 30 1
- Employer wishes to meet the cost of a number of employees childcare costs 62 2
- Interim 2013 Tax Returns submitted as NIL 217 5
- Inheritance tax 159 11
- Pension contributions limits 166 8
- Partnership tax returns 131 2
- PPR election - what do you think? 135 6
- Car leasing 305 14
- A previous partnership, a dispute and their conduct now 194 3
- RTI Student Loan Reconciliation 107 3
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 61 3
- Salary sacrifice made now employee wants to cancel. Aggh. 326 4
- 64-8 274 10
- Write off of former director's loan 141 3
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 294 9
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 612
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 476
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 443
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 274
- How to format a stock book 219
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 191
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 177
- Tax efficient holding company structure 163
- Investment property company accounts template 159
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 148