Charge rates for Human Rights tax work
For the past nearly seven years I have been pursuing a case on behalf of one of my clients for Widowers Bereavement Allowance. In November 2006 the court ruled in the lead case that the Government had indeed discriminated against widowers. However, in a (very bizarre) ruling they decided that no compensation would be due to any widowers, but that "reasonable" advocacy costs would be payable by the UK Government.
The Foreign Office won't reach a "friendly settlement" with me, or rather they will, but are only offering 400€. This is felt by myself to be derisory, as I am claiming my costs based upon a charge rate of £130 per hour, which I perceive as being reasonable.
However, in a letter today via the ECHR, the Foreign Office argue that "the accountants claim a fee rate of £130 per hour. This is clearly excessive for an accountancy firm based in Cornwall, and would even be thought a lot for an experienced barrister based in Central London".
I think this is complete balony, but in order to be sure of my facts, before I get back to the Court, I wonder if other accountants around the country would just let me know what their rates for similar work would be, as I want to present my argument based upon facts and not speculation.
Many thanks in advance to all who respond.
- Would this save hours of your time? 373 9
- Wrong career 427 18
- Laptop purchase 1,356 20
- PTP software disaster 226 2
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 159 4
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 204 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 91 2
- Director's tax return 195 3
- Tricky VAT question 142 1
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 104 2
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 232 6
- VT accounts licence key 239 5
- Weely paid employees 211 2
- Splitting the tax year 86 1
- FPS Submission 137 2
- Value pricing 640 20
- non resident receiving UK dividends 206 3
- P11d & Medical Ins 132 1
- vat return 222 1
- Underpaid National Insurance 177 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 789
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 546
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 410
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 291
- Free Tax Legislation? 256
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 235
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 235
- Director Loan account operation 234
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 228
- Paye procedures for CVA 159