Charge rates for Human Rights tax work
For the past nearly seven years I have been pursuing a case on behalf of one of my clients for Widowers Bereavement Allowance. In November 2006 the court ruled in the lead case that the Government had indeed discriminated against widowers. However, in a (very bizarre) ruling they decided that no compensation would be due to any widowers, but that "reasonable" advocacy costs would be payable by the UK Government.
The Foreign Office won't reach a "friendly settlement" with me, or rather they will, but are only offering 400€. This is felt by myself to be derisory, as I am claiming my costs based upon a charge rate of £130 per hour, which I perceive as being reasonable.
However, in a letter today via the ECHR, the Foreign Office argue that "the accountants claim a fee rate of £130 per hour. This is clearly excessive for an accountancy firm based in Cornwall, and would even be thought a lot for an experienced barrister based in Central London".
I think this is complete balony, but in order to be sure of my facts, before I get back to the Court, I wonder if other accountants around the country would just let me know what their rates for similar work would be, as I want to present my argument based upon facts and not speculation.
Many thanks in advance to all who respond.
- Time limit 109 2
- What is the role of an accountant? 599 16
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,554 391
- Late filing penalty for personal tax return. Reasonable excuse 490 12
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 124 2
- EOQ Formula 35 1
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,344 26
- P11D Query 201 7
- VAT registration for self employed dentist??? 426 12
- Should he transfer the Van into the company ? 198 2
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 120 1
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 146 2
- Pay-slip date & Pay-ment Date 262 13
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 196 6
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 1,289 24
- 100% Xero practice 2,300 42
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 161 1
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 198 6
- Scottish but not UK 349 9
- Pension Contributions Relief 302 10
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,223
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 434
- National Insurance 334
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 330
- Non Resident 256
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 253
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 251
- Franchise income and costs 219
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 159
- Hands on experience of Digita 156