Charge rates for Human Rights tax work
For the past nearly seven years I have been pursuing a case on behalf of one of my clients for Widowers Bereavement Allowance. In November 2006 the court ruled in the lead case that the Government had indeed discriminated against widowers. However, in a (very bizarre) ruling they decided that no compensation would be due to any widowers, but that "reasonable" advocacy costs would be payable by the UK Government.
The Foreign Office won't reach a "friendly settlement" with me, or rather they will, but are only offering 400€. This is felt by myself to be derisory, as I am claiming my costs based upon a charge rate of £130 per hour, which I perceive as being reasonable.
However, in a letter today via the ECHR, the Foreign Office argue that "the accountants claim a fee rate of £130 per hour. This is clearly excessive for an accountancy firm based in Cornwall, and would even be thought a lot for an experienced barrister based in Central London".
I think this is complete balony, but in order to be sure of my facts, before I get back to the Court, I wonder if other accountants around the country would just let me know what their rates for similar work would be, as I want to present my argument based upon facts and not speculation.
Many thanks in advance to all who respond.
- Limited Companies Merger 194 6
- Incidental costs of Acquisition for inherited property/shares 118 1
- HMRC filing meltdown? 281 10
- Why do I do this every year 164 4
- What sectors to target? 550 27
- Practice management 351 7
- IHT and cash gifts 228 5
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 469 13
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,548 42
- Capital allowances in first basis period 228 1
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 209 18
- eBay trading 215 4
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 252 10
- Self assesment online 901 10
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 1,115 46
- childcare 99 3
- Childcare voucher schemes 221 8
- Rent a room scheme query. 136 2
- PAYE Control Visit 206 2
- Repayment of maternity pay 206 4
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 921
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 639
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 592
- Latest phishing scam 572
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 403
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 303
- Scratch Head 226
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 221
- Sabbatical payments 190
- Negligible Value Claim 165