Closing down a limited company
My client has asked me to close down their limited company, this is not something that I have been involved with before.
Their accounts period ended at the end of Jan-11 and they ceased trading during this period. However, they still continue to have some business insurance payments and loan repayments going through their bank account. In addition to this I have found that, due to errors in calculations, they owe a small amount of VAT.
I am unsure for what period I prepare these accounts. Do I prepare the accounts to Jan-11, writing off assets to zero as they can't continue to be depreciated. Would I then need to submit a new set of accounts for the period to date, where they will empty their bank account, repay their loan/VAT/my fees?
Also, can the company be closed down if the directors loan account is a debit balance?
Many thanks for any advice!
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,318 21
- VAT online filing exemptions 259 4
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 850 18
- NALS Accountants Report 95 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,465 35
- Legal title not in the company name 264 10
- Dividend dates 558 10
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 120 3
- Sole properietor 165 4
- transitioning payroll 233 8
- dividend proposals 101 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 230 2
- Deduction from Salary 294 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 188 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,723 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 87 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 435 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 158 2
- 12 Pay Problems 253 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 88 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 623
- Cancelled 363
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 310
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 283
- Probiz 271
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 231
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 230
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 202
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 175