Closing down a limited company
My client has asked me to close down their limited company, this is not something that I have been involved with before.
Their accounts period ended at the end of Jan-11 and they ceased trading during this period. However, they still continue to have some business insurance payments and loan repayments going through their bank account. In addition to this I have found that, due to errors in calculations, they owe a small amount of VAT.
I am unsure for what period I prepare these accounts. Do I prepare the accounts to Jan-11, writing off assets to zero as they can't continue to be depreciated. Would I then need to submit a new set of accounts for the period to date, where they will empty their bank account, repay their loan/VAT/my fees?
Also, can the company be closed down if the directors loan account is a debit balance?
Many thanks for any advice!
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 2,588 33
- Tax Planning for Family and Owner-Managed Companies 2015/16 97 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 1,034 16
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 591 19
- Taxation of UK branches of foreign companies 170 1
- Limited company built a property and the client has made this messy 373 10
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 253 6
- Annual Investment Allowance on Van 461 8
- International priorities 116 1
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 486 10
- Transfering bank balnces between old and new co. 153 3
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,611 34
- iris update 11.9.2 283 3
- Company Structure 438 12
- Exclusion of single director companies from the Employment Allowance in 2016/17 517 13
- Revenue phishing examples 378 2
- Do joint employment contracts enjoy double NI allowances? 291 4
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 402 1
- Advertising Tips? 387 8
- Transferring rental property to limited company 573 15
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 740
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 437
- Costly Accounting Software contract 375
- Directors' advances and credits 291
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 265
- DTA tie-breaker issue 255
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 236
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 213
- CGT for NOn UK residents 197
- Apprenticeship Levy 187