Closing down a limited company
My client has asked me to close down their limited company, this is not something that I have been involved with before.
Their accounts period ended at the end of Jan-11 and they ceased trading during this period. However, they still continue to have some business insurance payments and loan repayments going through their bank account. In addition to this I have found that, due to errors in calculations, they owe a small amount of VAT.
I am unsure for what period I prepare these accounts. Do I prepare the accounts to Jan-11, writing off assets to zero as they can't continue to be depreciated. Would I then need to submit a new set of accounts for the period to date, where they will empty their bank account, repay their loan/VAT/my fees?
Also, can the company be closed down if the directors loan account is a debit balance?
Many thanks for any advice!
- Reversing out RTI 17 2
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 181 3
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 303 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 284 7
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 252 5
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 253 9
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 799 21
- BrightPay 587 17
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 226 2
- H&W company 184 3
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 153 3
- tax teatment of index linked mortgage repayment 161 2
- Gift or Capital Gain? 267 7
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 108 1
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 789 32
- Classic cars investment 219 6
- VAT silly question 2,385 56
- Are sheepdog winnings taxable? 1,081 10
- Federation Accounts 362 10
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 542 8
- Benchmarking 488
- Possible Partnership? 430
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 407
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 407
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 348
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 207
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 204
- Clubs and Taxable Income 189
- Income tax on foreign dividends 188
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 183