Closing down a limited company
My client has asked me to close down their limited company, this is not something that I have been involved with before.
Their accounts period ended at the end of Jan-11 and they ceased trading during this period. However, they still continue to have some business insurance payments and loan repayments going through their bank account. In addition to this I have found that, due to errors in calculations, they owe a small amount of VAT.
I am unsure for what period I prepare these accounts. Do I prepare the accounts to Jan-11, writing off assets to zero as they can't continue to be depreciated. Would I then need to submit a new set of accounts for the period to date, where they will empty their bank account, repay their loan/VAT/my fees?
Also, can the company be closed down if the directors loan account is a debit balance?
Many thanks for any advice!
- What do you all do in your spare time? 522 26
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 299 6
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 131 6
- Tax implications on building an 'office' 173 2
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 280 7
- VAT on employee loan 238 2
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 152 3
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 689 18
- Partial PPR relief to non-resident after 05 Apr 2015 144 1
- Purchased Goodwill 69 1
- Accounting Package for Projects 62 2
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 73 1
- Are accountants keeping up with the pace of change? 184 4
- Recruitment agencies 577 1
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 510 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 194 4
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 262 9
- HMRC RANT!!!! 456 8
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,367 19
- Scams are not always obvious 2,010 33
- New Fangled Penalties 1,072
- Moving away from CCH software 925
- QROP pension input amounts 423
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 370
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 334
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 309
- fraud 259
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 235
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 206
- Construction CIS LLP Company 189