Closing down a limited company
My client has asked me to close down their limited company, this is not something that I have been involved with before.
Their accounts period ended at the end of Jan-11 and they ceased trading during this period. However, they still continue to have some business insurance payments and loan repayments going through their bank account. In addition to this I have found that, due to errors in calculations, they owe a small amount of VAT.
I am unsure for what period I prepare these accounts. Do I prepare the accounts to Jan-11, writing off assets to zero as they can't continue to be depreciated. Would I then need to submit a new set of accounts for the period to date, where they will empty their bank account, repay their loan/VAT/my fees?
Also, can the company be closed down if the directors loan account is a debit balance?
Many thanks for any advice!
- Is this fraud? 183 4
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 256 13
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,151 413
- Saying goodbye 269 7
- Flat rate scheme 109 2
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 603 4
- Drop box Storage 142 2
- Furnished lettings criteria 69 1
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 401 5
- SAGE TRANSACTIONS DATA 88 2
- Pension Contributions Relief 355 11
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 88 1
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 200 2
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 287 15
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 298 1
- Sportman claiming for training kit 960 10
- Naming new company 154 4
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 781 33
- UK RESIDENT IN RECEIPT OF USA PENSION 156 2
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 284 4
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,268
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 452
- National Insurance 351
- Non Resident 265
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 258
- Franchise income and costs 235
- Hands on experience of Digita 191
- Employer's Helpline 144
- employment capital allowances 133
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 130