Closing down a limited company
My client has asked me to close down their limited company, this is not something that I have been involved with before.
Their accounts period ended at the end of Jan-11 and they ceased trading during this period. However, they still continue to have some business insurance payments and loan repayments going through their bank account. In addition to this I have found that, due to errors in calculations, they owe a small amount of VAT.
I am unsure for what period I prepare these accounts. Do I prepare the accounts to Jan-11, writing off assets to zero as they can't continue to be depreciated. Would I then need to submit a new set of accounts for the period to date, where they will empty their bank account, repay their loan/VAT/my fees?
Also, can the company be closed down if the directors loan account is a debit balance?
Many thanks for any advice!
- SATR - ommission of capital gains 41 1
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,248 19
- Scanners 161 4
- Overdrawn Directors Loan Account 66 1
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 147 5
- Solar panels - VAT and Capital allowances 227 3
- Recharge for private use of a company car 399 9
- Payment plans for clients 97 2
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 224 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 225 7
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 390 2
- Should I move back home away from my office? 437 9
- P60 or payslips? 87 1
- Property income in different capacities 98 1
- IHT dilemma 1,382 21
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 187 1
- IT advisory questions? 171 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 793 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 133 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 526 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,157
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 796
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 486
- Digita Hosted Software 320
- Credit where credit's due....... 270
- Director phone costs 231
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 226
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 193
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 152
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 134