Closing down a limited company
My client has asked me to close down their limited company, this is not something that I have been involved with before.
Their accounts period ended at the end of Jan-11 and they ceased trading during this period. However, they still continue to have some business insurance payments and loan repayments going through their bank account. In addition to this I have found that, due to errors in calculations, they owe a small amount of VAT.
I am unsure for what period I prepare these accounts. Do I prepare the accounts to Jan-11, writing off assets to zero as they can't continue to be depreciated. Would I then need to submit a new set of accounts for the period to date, where they will empty their bank account, repay their loan/VAT/my fees?
Also, can the company be closed down if the directors loan account is a debit balance?
Many thanks for any advice!
- Capital allowances on taxis 55 1
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 382 6
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 288 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 259 8
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 87 2
- Where has Portia gone? 1,763 65
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 277 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 905 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 204 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 134 1
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 196 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 409 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 342 9
- Merging my businesses 165 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,731 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 520 16
- VAT on commercial property 168 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,057 49
- deceased creditor 222 5
- Corporate member of LLP 285 1
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 784
- RTI - duplicate employee record 545
- Pensions Regulator 446
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 407
- Sage Vat return box 2 312
- Sanzar 308
- Digital marketing focus group 292
- Portia ... Where art thou 288
- How do you do it 282
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 261