Closing down a limited company
My client has asked me to close down their limited company, this is not something that I have been involved with before.
Their accounts period ended at the end of Jan-11 and they ceased trading during this period. However, they still continue to have some business insurance payments and loan repayments going through their bank account. In addition to this I have found that, due to errors in calculations, they owe a small amount of VAT.
I am unsure for what period I prepare these accounts. Do I prepare the accounts to Jan-11, writing off assets to zero as they can't continue to be depreciated. Would I then need to submit a new set of accounts for the period to date, where they will empty their bank account, repay their loan/VAT/my fees?
Also, can the company be closed down if the directors loan account is a debit balance?
Many thanks for any advice!
- Overdrawn Directors Loan Account 40 1
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 128 5
- Solar panels - VAT and Capital allowances 224 3
- Recharge for private use of a company car 397 9
- Scanners 156 3
- Payment plans for clients 82 2
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 215 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 215 7
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 387 2
- Should I move back home away from my office? 432 9
- P60 or payslips? 76 1
- Property income in different capacities 94 1
- IHT dilemma 1,375 21
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 183 1
- IT advisory questions? 164 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 792 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 123 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 521 7
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 462 8
- Sage payroll alternatives 635 12
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,153
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 794
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 482
- Digita Hosted Software 318
- Credit where credit's due....... 269
- Director phone costs 229
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 225
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 189
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 150
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 133