Closing down a limited company
My client has asked me to close down their limited company, this is not something that I have been involved with before.
Their accounts period ended at the end of Jan-11 and they ceased trading during this period. However, they still continue to have some business insurance payments and loan repayments going through their bank account. In addition to this I have found that, due to errors in calculations, they owe a small amount of VAT.
I am unsure for what period I prepare these accounts. Do I prepare the accounts to Jan-11, writing off assets to zero as they can't continue to be depreciated. Would I then need to submit a new set of accounts for the period to date, where they will empty their bank account, repay their loan/VAT/my fees?
Also, can the company be closed down if the directors loan account is a debit balance?
Many thanks for any advice!
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 451 13
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 61 1
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,271 8
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,243 13
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 980 29
- You know its over 392 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 517 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 251 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 200 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 189 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 301 3
- Cocaine anyone? 545 8
- Late Registration for VAT 503 13
- EIS/SEIS 163 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 289 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 437 5
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 744 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 576 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 604 4
- Personal pension 411 9
- Hive up 497
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 466
- corporate hierarchy 447
- Advice - 282
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 230
- WWOOFers 225
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 212
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 209
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 188
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 181