Closing down a limited company
My client has asked me to close down their limited company, this is not something that I have been involved with before.
Their accounts period ended at the end of Jan-11 and they ceased trading during this period. However, they still continue to have some business insurance payments and loan repayments going through their bank account. In addition to this I have found that, due to errors in calculations, they owe a small amount of VAT.
I am unsure for what period I prepare these accounts. Do I prepare the accounts to Jan-11, writing off assets to zero as they can't continue to be depreciated. Would I then need to submit a new set of accounts for the period to date, where they will empty their bank account, repay their loan/VAT/my fees?
Also, can the company be closed down if the directors loan account is a debit balance?
Many thanks for any advice!
- PAYE NI 141 3
- Tasbook email configuration 197 1
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 128 3
- Client information from previous accountant 124 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 196 3
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 274 8
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 239 4
- How long do legal aid take to pay? 97 1
- Two questions re client meetings and TR Fees 382 5
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 226 2
- Liability account to deal with loans from owner 154 5
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,668 31
- quote for winding down two companies and file accounts 138 1
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 831 14
- How much to charge? 706 10
- break even point 1,010 30
- Trustee in Bankruptcy 189 5
- Accomodation and travel 209 1
- Unpaid Fee's 373 6
- Issue with a software supplier 255 4
- Possible Partnership? 515
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 498
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 470
- New Fangled Penalties 312
- Clubs and Taxable Income 262
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 260
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 253
- Loans to other companies 194
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 171
- English Company Owning Property in Scotland 160