Closing down a limited company
My client has asked me to close down their limited company, this is not something that I have been involved with before.
Their accounts period ended at the end of Jan-11 and they ceased trading during this period. However, they still continue to have some business insurance payments and loan repayments going through their bank account. In addition to this I have found that, due to errors in calculations, they owe a small amount of VAT.
I am unsure for what period I prepare these accounts. Do I prepare the accounts to Jan-11, writing off assets to zero as they can't continue to be depreciated. Would I then need to submit a new set of accounts for the period to date, where they will empty their bank account, repay their loan/VAT/my fees?
Also, can the company be closed down if the directors loan account is a debit balance?
Many thanks for any advice!
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 69 3
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 65 6
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,347 38
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 325 7
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 251 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 255 1
- OneNote is fantastic 238 7
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 664 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,111 21
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 85 1
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 340 5
- PPR on a development? 231 4
- PAYE – Directors NI 359 7
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 907 19
- Private Residence Relief 1,796 15
- Cloud accounting package 201 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 1,028 39
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 520 15
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 206 3
- Next Move 422 12
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 638
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 397
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- Property letting & CAs 382
- 2015 tax year end 375
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 374
- FCA regulated company in a small group 336
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 229
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 227
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 207